Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,742 members, 7,827,738 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:04 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2355) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5981917 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2352) (2353) (2354) (2355) (2356) (2357) (2358) ... (2844) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Uncouth: 1:18pm On Aug 19, 2021
NTSA:

The militants once pushed back will retreat towards kenyan territory.Incidences of Ethiopian soldiers crossing over to Kenya in pursuit of them have also been reported before.

True, these are sporadic though and there's nothing here to suggest a "Dire" impact on KE
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 3:19pm On Aug 19, 2021
kabe1:

This is what is obtainable in the Nigerian Navy, don't know what @riceproducers is arguing over.

The Chief of Naval Staff mentioned a couple other acquisitions in his speech at IMDEC in Ghana.

Apart from the Damen boats purchased from Vietnam, we are getting Fast Attack Crafts & OPVs

NNS Kano & NNS Ikenne

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by RiceProducers: 3:20pm On Aug 19, 2021
I am beginning to come round to the view that the NN acquired them as FPBs but decided on the FCS design to permit the operation of rotary wing UAVs.

I read somewhere that 40 UAVs are on order by the Navy. They must be going on OPVs and purpose built FPBs that can take rotor craft UAVs

kabe1:

This is what is obtainable in the Nigerian Navy, don't know what @riceproducers is arguing over.

Does not really matter I think. These are not fast patrol craft but FCSs. The boats are designed for security and carrying civillian personnel and cargo. May be the Navy asked for that particular spec for their ops, I don't know but they are FCSs.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 3:24pm On Aug 19, 2021
Africa Intelligence is still running with this story despite the denials from Leonardo

Pakistani option has Italy scrambling to defend sale of Leonardo combat aircraft

The Italian government has embarked on a diplomatic campaign to strengthen military cooperation with Abuja as a means to lock in the sale of 24 combat aircraft to the Nigerian Air Force. But it is facing a circumspect air force command and competition from Pakistan.

https://www.africaintelligence.com/central-and-west-africa_business/2021/08/19/pakistani-option-has-italy-scrambling-to-defend-sale-of-leonardo-combat-aircraft,109685910-art

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by RiceProducers: 3:36pm On Aug 19, 2021
kabe1:
Africa Intelligence is still running with this story despite the denials from Leonardo

Pakistani option has Italy scrambling to defend sale of Leonardo combat aircraft

The Italian government has embarked on a diplomatic campaign to strengthen military cooperation with Abuja as a means to lock in the sale of 24 combat aircraft to the Nigerian Air Force. But it is facing a circumspect air force command and competition from Pakistan.

https://www.africaintelligence.com/central-and-west-africa_business/2021/08/19/pakistani-option-has-italy-scrambling-to-defend-sale-of-leonardo-combat-aircraft,109685910-art

Who has noticed that a significant but not majority of retired and serving NAF pilots and technical crew don't trust JF17 Block 2.
I am almost certain they go for Block 3 in 2025 but I would be surprised if Block 2 holdings go beyond six (6) examples.

It's radar is not better than M346 FA master and M346 has more proven reliability and cost effectiveness as a fighter/trainer.
The weapons on board also probably have better integration.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 4:11pm On Aug 19, 2021
RiceProducers:

I am beginning to come round to the view that the NN acquired them as FPBs but decided on the FCS design to permit the operation of rotary wing UAVs.

I read somewhere that 40 UAVs are on order by the Navy. They must be going on OPVs and purpose built FPBs that can take rotor craft UAVs

Does not really matter I think. These are not fast patrol craft but FCSs. The boats are designed for security and carrying civillian personnel and cargo. May be the Navy asked for that particular spec for their ops, I don't know but they are FCSs.

Nothing wrong in us enjoying a debate irrespective of our views.

It seems the Navy would be getting Fast Attack Crafts.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MAN1960: 6:48pm On Aug 19, 2021
Kebi can you please show an example of fast patrol craft
Am learning
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MAN1960: 6:49pm On Aug 19, 2021
Kebi can you please show an example of fast attack craft
Am learning
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kemicalreact: 6:58pm On Aug 19, 2021
MAN1960:
Am learning
kabe1 grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 7:06pm On Aug 19, 2021
MAN1960:
Am learning

A fast attack craft is a small boat that can fire missiles.

See picture.

However classification of ships differ from country to country.

I had initially made a mistake on what CNS meant by a FAC. In Nigeria we classify the Ocea boats we bought from France as a Fast Attack Craft. They don't have missile firing capabilities. They are only armed with at most a 20mm gun.

We classify Nigerian made boats as IPC (Inshore Patrol Craft). That's the one the CNS was referring to that the Navy has purchased 300 units.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 7:26pm On Aug 19, 2021
*GOC 81 DIVISION NIGERIAN ARMY VISITS PROFORCE LIMITED* …………Commends GMD and staff for visible transformation

The General Officer Commanding 81 Division Nigerian Army (NA) Major General Lawrence Fejokwu has expressed satisfaction and commended the level of ongoing transformation and achievement in Proforce Limited under the leadership of the General Managing Director (GMD) Engineer Ade Ogundeyin. The GOC made the commendation while on a working visit within his Area of Responsibility (AOR) in Ogun State.

Major General Fejokwu said he was delighted with the ongoing expansion in the defence factory which is a sign that something greater is in the offing. He was optimistic that with the state of the expansion and transformation in infrastructure, equipment and general facilities at Proforce Limited, the Company would soon be able to provide more than the basic needs of the military. He stated that part of the reason for the visit was to collaborate with Perforce on how the 81 Division could harness the benefit of having the factory within the Division AOR. He informed the Proforce GMD that some of the operational vehicle that were beyond economic repair would be backloaded to the factory for repairs.

The GOC and members of his entourage were briefed with a presentation on proforce Limited and Proforce Intelligence. The visiting team was also conducted round the transformed factories and some production lines where the GOC inspected some products and materials produced by Proforce Limited. He disclosed that with the level of progress of work and the zealousness of the staff of the Company, he would continue to be an advocate of Proforce Limited.

Responding the GMD Proforce Limited Engineer Ade Ogundeyin expressed his delight and appreciation to the GOC for finding time to visit despite his tight schedules. He stated that the NA and proforce has been working partners for some time now and that the NA is part of Proforce. He noted that with the ongoing relationship between the 2 parties, the Boko Haram Terrorist activities would soon come to an end. He disclosed that only Africa can solve Africa’s problems, hence the need for commitment by various stake holders. The GMD used the occasion to thank the NA for her patronage which has brought Proforce to the limelight of the international community.

Highlights of the visit included the presentation on Proforce Limited, guided tour round the factory and interactive session. Others were group photograph and exchange of souvenirs

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 7:26pm On Aug 19, 2021

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by youghs: 12:53am On Aug 20, 2021
kabe1:

If I may ask, what do we need these for? The A29s can perform the role of this aircraft.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Coolliot: 2:11am On Aug 20, 2021

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 7:26am On Aug 20, 2021
youghs:

If I may ask, what do we need these for? The A29s can perform the role of this aircraft.

We need them to replace the Alpha Jet & L-39.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Salatavor: 7:27am On Aug 20, 2021
kabe1:

So what this means is the Italian Government is trying to sell us a battle tested Multi-role aircraft but we are still considering the flying Chinese and Pakistani developed replicas of the F16.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Salatavor: 7:32am On Aug 20, 2021
youghs:

You want our entire airforce attack capability to be based on aircrafts that can only be used to chase terrorists and train new fighter pilots?

This is a multi-role fighter and it uses are limitless if inducted it will be the most battle new generation aircraft in our airforce. This aircraft will kick the JF17 ass right left and Centre.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:08am On Aug 20, 2021
Nigerian service chiefs

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by willybaby(m): 8:51am On Aug 20, 2021
kabe1:
Nigerian service chiefs
Men them..

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by RiceProducers: 9:44am On Aug 20, 2021
youghs:

Super Tucano is to loiter, do surveillance with accurate sensors, send / share data and then engage with precision weapons.

We also need supersonic platforms for quick reaction in more distant places, for instance an attack at remote border towns.
M346 FA is also coming with Air To Air capability to challenge fighter jets.

Actually need both M346 FA and JF17.
JF17 can carry anti ship missiles, already identified as a threat in the Gulf of Guinea area even before decision was made to acquire the aircraft.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 10:36am On Aug 20, 2021
youghs:

M346, JF17 thunder and tucanos are all different aircrafts with different roles.

M346 is a good replacement for Alpha jets will be used for LIFT and light attack

JF-17 thunder light multirole fighter jet

Tucanos for COIN operations and ISR mainly.

The good thing is that these guys are bringing new capabilities to the Nigerian Air force in their various ways.

Truth is we need all of them.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stargate254: 10:39am On Aug 20, 2021
KDF lieutenant at Wamo Primary School in Jubaland State, Somalia.

18 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stargate254: 12:33pm On Aug 20, 2021
kikuyu1:

Hey, Do know any gun sellers (The legal kind) in Kenya? , Cause I find it weird that you are allowed to own one but no one is selling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOd9coARbs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_42kmtyMl-Q

There should be atleast an airsoft shop by now - selling BB guns for mil simulation games.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by NTSA: 1:11pm On Aug 20, 2021
Stargate254:

Hey, Do know any gun sellers (The legal kind) in Kenya? , Cause I find it weird that you are allowed to own one but no one is selling.

There should be atleast an airsoft shop by now - selling BB guns for mil simulation games.
https://www.jjokwaro.co.ke check out this one.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 1:26pm On Aug 20, 2021
Stargate254:

Armatech Utalii hse and Walimohammed in Inda. Am uncle had a shop near Guru Nanak on Muranga road. These places mainly sell Ceskas and Glocks, almost all 9 millies at crazy prices almost twice the global norm. Even ammo has crazy markup. Many guys, once they're licenced have a friend or fam buy in the US.
We urgently need a fair firearms policy for civilians but our Elites are too self seeking to even srsly consider ANYTHING along such lines. Its easier to "tax" the few than have a transparent process for ALL. After Westgate and Dusit the gov said they'd allow vetted private guards to carry guns but NOTHING has happened.
I rmbr buying a Mossberg 500 in 98 from Armatech at 70k, a 1000 usd+ at the time.
The 5+1, 2.5 inch 12 ga. The single 8+1 IIRC instock then had a feed problem.

Edit: there are semilegal gun shops owned by cops in town. I know one on Standard street near Lonrho hse. The front of the shop has mobiles on display. The back room has 20 or 30 pistols under lock and key!
They'll liaise with guys at THE Central Firearms Bureau to get you a real licence number belonging to an actual licencee with a caveat. You'll be told if you use make sure the other nigga takes the asphalt temperature challenge!
The whole thing was revealed 5 yrs ago when a genuine certificate holder was renewing it at the CFB and stumbled into a guy (mis)using his own cert no!?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 2:06pm On Aug 20, 2021
NTSA:
Returning Kenyan and Ugandan private military contractors(PMCs )from the Afghanistan

Someone who was there said the Ug were MAINLY used as static guards, ie site security as their tactical awareness was found wanting which I can believe looking at how they struggled for yrs on Mog'.
Otoh, Kenyan inf, especially Paras and ex specops are highly sought after-the successful Somalia op, particularly the Kismayu capture REALLY raised the KDF profile . So are Navy guys: so many left some yrs back they were charged with desertion!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 2:12pm On Aug 20, 2021
Uncouth:
Kenya and Ethiopia have minimal economic ties with each other. There have been some investments by Kenya into Ethiopia in recent years but it's mostly limited cooperation on security matters. Apart from the expected influx of refugees if the Ethiopian conflict spreads South, there isn't going to be much impact.

Not exactly. Equity just got into their market same time as Safaricom. There's potentially billions of USD that'll turn both outfits into continental and even GLOBAL players
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 3:08pm On Aug 20, 2021
Stargate254:
KDF lieutenant at Wamo Primary School in Jubaland State, Somalia.

Do you know the unit? At first it was only paras, spec ops and air cav who had the SCAR H. Its a 3000 USD piece of engineering! Of late though I'VE seen ordinary inf with them along with G3s and 7.62x39 AKs.
Strangely Somalia showed the well known lack of hitting power of the 5.56 mmn. Many have dropped the US and locally made M4s for this reason.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by dragon2(m): 3:25pm On Aug 20, 2021
The M346 is a Trainer aircraft with the dual role of ground attack, it is not a true fighter . Its role is to replace our alpha jets/L39s if acquired. We had MIGS, Alpha jets/L39s, and Jaguars in the 80's for the role of Fighter, LIFT and Ground attack respectively. The JF17 being a light Multirole aircraft is meant to replace the MIGS and JAGUARS. However we need new platforms to replace our ageing LIFT aircrafts. The two aircraft, JF17/M346 are not in the same class in any way.
The JF17 has more engine power, speed, range, maximum service ceiling( about 10,000ft more than the M346), more than 3 times the take-off weight, twice the climb rate and a more diverse weapon suite. There is no comparison. The M346 is LIFT period. The JF17 is meant for a high threat environment while the M346 is meant for low-medium .

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by RiceProducers: 3:36pm On Aug 20, 2021
It was always going to happen when you put a decent radar in a LIFT, add capability to fire AA missiles, two engines and ordnance capacity above 2500kg. I think M346 FA is more than just Alpha Jet replacement.
It's GRIFO346 radar can see > 90km

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by dragon2(m): 4:20pm On Aug 20, 2021
RiceProducers:
It was always going to happen when you put a decent radar in a LIFT, add capability to fire AA missiles, two engines and ordnance capacity above 2500kg. I think M346 FA is more than just Alpha Jet replacement.
It's GRIFO346 radar can see > 90km
If I saw a JF17 with that radar I would quietly turn around and run. The M346 uses a Turbofan engine not a turbojet! It can barely break MACH1. The moment you see the JF17, its RWR(radar warning receiver) has picked up your transmission 90km apart and he is 0.4Mach faster at the least, he will enter an evasive manoeuvre you cant keep up with until you are the prey.

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 5:02pm On Aug 20, 2021
Rwandan Ratel

(1) (2) (3) ... (2352) (2353) (2354) (2355) (2356) (2357) (2358) ... (2844) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.