Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,523 members, 7,819,883 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2384) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5972894 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2381) (2382) (2383) (2384) (2385) (2386) (2387) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Toju200(m): 7:40pm On Sep 21, 2021
Members of DSS SIS visits Civil Defense Women's corps

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 7:58pm On Sep 21, 2021
RiceProducers:

China is challenging in the South China sea. They would have to keep submarines at sea for long or compensate with large numbers. Cruisers can do a whole lot and it is only when we talk about "carrier groups" that you begin to understand what power projection is about. A carrier group can cripple the entire offensive forces of a moderately powerful country especially in this age of AI powered electronic warfare

I saw your earlier post, the world hardly talk of cruisers nowadays. A modern destroyer would give you far more than your expectations. Have you heard of any country currently building a Cruiser? No.

A nuclear submarine don't come back to base because they need to be refueled. They can remain at sea for as long as the food and other necessities can last them. Nuclear submarines don't need refueling for years not months and they have their own flaws too (Heat). AIP subs still have better Advantage to me if you're not planning to police all the Oceans like US.

One US cruiser can take out a country's airforce by launching cruise missiles from over 200km away. They can jam comms or worse sow confusion in your C3I infrastructure.

Just as some people are good at creating pencils others are good at creating erasers. Its more complicated than what you wrote and cruise missile can hit targets more than 4 times the range you mentioned.

Even Chinese Corvette can take out target 300+km away without stress.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 9:03pm On Sep 21, 2021
Size difference

Nigerian Navy Frigate & Corvettes side by side

8 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 11:13pm On Sep 21, 2021
kabe1:
Size difference

Nigerian Navy Frigate & Corvettes side by side
OPVs

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 11:23pm On Sep 21, 2021
jl115:
OPVs

It's a Corvette.

There are many OPVs that are armed with missiles.

The Type 056 is a Chinese Corvette.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 11:27pm On Sep 21, 2021
kabe1:

It's a Corvette.

There are many OPVs that are armed with missiles.

The Type 056 is a Chinese Corvette.
except those are P18N OPVs not type 056 corvettes

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 11:35pm On Sep 21, 2021
jl115:

Corvettes.

We can do this all evening.

"Is there a size difference between Type 056 missile armed and Patroller?"........ NO!!

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 12:01am On Sep 22, 2021
jl115:

Just type P18N on Google or Wikipedia and see the reply you get.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 12:08am On Sep 22, 2021
iblawi:

Just type P18N on Google or Wikipedia and see the reply you get.
built on the same platform yes however one is actually a corvette and the other a purpose built opv

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 12:10am On Sep 22, 2021
kabe1:

Corvettes.

We can do this all evening.

"Is there a size difference between Type 056 missile armed and Patroller?"........ NO!!
the type 056 has anti sub, anti surface and anti air capability.... The P18N only has guns

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 12:27am On Sep 22, 2021
jl115:
built on the same platform yes however one is actually a corvette and the other a purpose built opv

That's it.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by RiceProducers: 2:08am On Sep 22, 2021
jl115:

They are Corvettes. Nigeria called them OPVs and downgraded the armament package for a reason.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 3:00am On Sep 22, 2021
iblawi:

That's it.
that doesn't make it a corvette.....

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 3:03am On Sep 22, 2021
RiceProducers:

They are Corvettes. Nigeria called them OPVs and downgraded the armament package for a reason.
they are OPVs... No anti sub, no anti air, no anti surface.... Purely a patrol vessel, and it's not like you could convert the P18N into a corvette either since the battle management system and ship architecture simply won't allow it unless a major refit is done which would cost so much one could just as well purchase a type 056 instead of going through the trouble.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 7:02am On Sep 22, 2021
jl115:
they are OPVs... No anti sub, no anti air, no anti surface.... Purely a patrol vessel, and it's not like you could convert the P18N into a corvette either since the battle management system and ship architecture simply won't allow it unless a major refit is done which would cost so much one could just as well purchase a type 056 instead of going through the trouble.

You just like to argue.

My initial comparison was a size comparison.

However, P18N can easily be converted to a missile, it doesn't we've seen how possible it is with the OPVs Senegal ordered from France. OPV 52 is another good example.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 7:08am On Sep 22, 2021
kabe1:

You just like to argue.

My initial comparison was a size comparison.

However, P18N can easily be converted to a missile, it doesn't we've seen how possible it is with the OPVs Senegal ordered from France. OPV 52 is another good example.
nope!!!

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by EricBraven: 7:42am On Sep 22, 2021
Toju200:
Members of DSS SIS visits Civil Defense Women's corps
Creating women corps in our forces is now about to become a thing

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by RiceProducers: 7:48am On Sep 22, 2021
jl115:

To you missiles make a corvette.
I think it is blue water endurance.
The battle management system you are talking about is software that can be installed and modified. The SS, ASW and AAs are modules that can be installed in a matter of weeks.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 7:54am On Sep 22, 2021
RiceProducers:

To you missiles make a corvette.
I think it is blue water endurance.
The battle management system you are talking about is software that can be installed and modified. The SS, ASW and AAs are modules that can be installed in a matter of weeks.
OPVs can and do have longer endurance than corvettes, it's armament that dictates weather a ship is an OPV or corvette.

And the P18N is purely an OPV..... If it was "fitted for but not with" the offensive capabilities of a Corvette then I would've called it a Corvette however the P18N is a purpose built OPV, it can't be integrated with SS, ASW and AA without major refit

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by RiceProducers: 7:57am On Sep 22, 2021
jl115:
OPVs can and do have longer endurance than corvettes, it's armament that dictates weather a ship is an OPV or corvette.

And the P18N is purely an OPV..... If it was "fitted for but not with" the offensive capabilities of a Corvette then I would've called it a Corvette however the P18N is a purpose built OPV, it can't be integrated with SS, ASW and AA without major refit

This is false oga. Don't confuse my "blue water endurance" for endurance along the EEZ.

http://defense-studies..com/2013/12/corvettes-and-opvs-offshore-investments.html?m=1

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 8:02am On Sep 22, 2021
jl115:

nope!!!

It can, very easily.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by RiceProducers: 8:05am On Sep 22, 2021

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by RiceProducers: 8:08am On Sep 22, 2021

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 10:14am On Sep 22, 2021
RiceProducers:

This is false oga. Don't confuse my "blue water endurance" for endurance along the EEZ.

http://defense-studies..com/2013/12/corvettes-and-opvs-offshore-investments.html?m=1
1. Your link doesn't work, 2. It's a blog...

And as I said OPVs can and do have longer range than Corvettes

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 10:14am On Sep 22, 2021
kabe1:

It can, very easily.
it most definitely can't

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 10:19am On Sep 22, 2021
RiceProducers:
A good example to illustrate the points;

https://navalpost.com/croatian-navys-future-opv-corvette-bis-91/
exactly my point!! "Fitted for but not with" the P18N is a purpose built OPV.... It does not have the systems to run ASW, AA, SS weaponry.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tobiloba24072: 11:13am On Sep 22, 2021
jl115:
exactly my point!! "Fitted for but not with" the P18N is a purpose built OPV.... It does not have the systems to run ASW, AA, SS weaponry.

One question though, why is our own opv version of the type 056, without missile and anti submarine warfare weapons and sensors, have more weight , even though it's less capable��

What's the extra 300 tonnes for? That's about half the weight our missile armed fast attack crafts.

Secondly where are we getting our new opvs from? China has stopped manufacture of the type 056.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 11:39am On Sep 22, 2021
Tobiloba24072:

One question though, why is our own opv version of the type 056, without missile and anti submarine warfare weapons and sensors, have more weight , even though it's less capable��

What's the extra 300 tonnes for? That's about half the weight our missile armed fast attack crafts.

Secondly where are we getting our new opvs from? China has stopped manufacture of the type 056.
who said its less capable than the type 056? The P18N is a different class of ship, its like comparing apples to oranges.

Also the P18N is configured with a whole host of extras that the type 056 doesn't have, like oil spilage rigs, a helicopter hanger ect ect

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tobiloba24072: 11:41am On Sep 22, 2021
jl115:
who said its less capable than the type 056? The P18N is a different class of ship, its like comparing apples to oranges.

Also the P18N is configured with a whole host of extras that the type 056 doesn't have, like oil spilage rigs, a helicopter hanger ect ect

It is less capable
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stormtrooper11(m): 1:36pm On Sep 22, 2021
Basically, ships and naval vessels in navies around the world, are classified by displacement/tonnage , armament, roles, length, endurance, etc. Each Navy has its on classification of vessels. The Nigerian navy is not an exception. While some will argue that the P18N is a corvette, but classified as an OPV in the Nigerian Navy, i would say, the P18N is the OPV variant of the Type 056 corvette.
The P18N is an OPV, because: (1) it lacks the armament to be pronounced a corvette. (2) its role is one for an OPV i.e patrol of EEZ, anti-priacy, etc. (3)it lacks ASW, SAM, AAM capabilities.
That's my few thoughts about this.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by RiceProducers: 2:16pm On Sep 22, 2021
Stormtrooper11:
Basically, ships and naval vessels in navies around the world, are classified by displacement/tonnage , armament, roles, length, endurance, etc. Each Navy has its on classification of vessels. The Nigerian navy is not an exception. While some will argue that the P18N is a corvette, but classified as an OPV in the Nigerian Navy, i would say, the P18N is the OPV variant of the Type 056 corvette.
The P18N is an OPV, because: (1) it lacks the armament to be pronounced a corvette. (2) its role is one for an OPV i.e patrol of EEZ, anti-priacy, etc. (3)it lacks ASW, SAM, AAM capabilities.
That's my few thoughts about this.

Was NNS Aradu a frigate or destroyer then?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jl115: 3:18pm On Sep 22, 2021
Tobiloba24072:

It is less capable
its not a corvette.... It can't be less capable than something it's not.... I can also say the type 056 is less capable of an OPV than the p18n

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2381) (2382) (2383) (2384) (2385) (2386) (2387) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.