Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,693 members, 7,831,155 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:34 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2808) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5986517 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2805) (2806) (2807) (2808) (2809) (2810) (2811) ... (2844) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 9:47am On Aug 04, 2023
jteku:

Alpha ?

it clearly shows an L-39 Albatros

Same thing grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 11:24am On Aug 04, 2023
Stormtrooper11:

Don't get me wrong, I know we have F 7NIs and JF 17s but the Alpha jets are the back bone of our manned CAS. The F 7ni combat range is slightly over 800 km, patrolling Niger airspace to enforce a NO FLY ZONE with the plane is going to be very hectic unless we have a base in Niger itself. The JF 17 has a good combat range but we can't be using a flight of our JF 17s for air combat patrol while leaving a single JF 17 trainer at home
Your last post talked about Interceptors not CAS

Rightly, A CAS jet (Alfa) has no business in a discussion about Air superiority for a No Fly Zone.

However, I agree that we currently don't have the capability to enforce NFZ over Niger. Too tedious for the fleet

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 11:25am On Aug 04, 2023
GreenandGold:

Speak of the devil, I just spotted me an Alpha patrolling the skies, live now
Patrolling in Kano?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 2:38pm On Aug 04, 2023
Odunayaw:
Patrolling in Kano?

Yep, there's a pair in the air right now.... From a Saffa, you guys have plenty of jet fuel grin

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 3:05pm On Aug 04, 2023
Stormtrooper11:

That's what happens when you don't have Long range radar and long range interceptors. This isn't Liberia. Alpha jets as our airpower backbone can't assure us air superiority.
You don't need all those stuff.

We're talking about Africa here. If you intercept one commercial aircraft and ask it to return, the rest will follow suit.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 3:10pm On Aug 04, 2023
Odunayaw:
Your last post talked about Interceptors not CAS

Rightly, A CAS jet (Alfa) has no business in a discussion about Air superiority for a No Fly Zone.

However, I agree that we currently don't have the capability to enforce NFZ over Niger. Too tedious for the fleet

Your capacity to enforce a no fly zone first depends on distance to base or refuel and support facility and then the strength of the enemy.

Also no fly zones doesn't necessarily cover the whole country. Just the area of interest.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 3:12pm On Aug 04, 2023
GreenandGold:

Yep, there's a pair in the air right now.... From a Saffa, you guys have plenty of jet fuel grin
Probably a formation flight training.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 3:19pm On Aug 04, 2023
Faithful007:
Probably a formation flight training.

...that would make a lot of sense.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 3:47pm On Aug 04, 2023
GreenandGold, continuing with the theme of crazy weather:
The flowers are out in Paternoster and the west coast, a full month before spring!

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 3:55pm On Aug 04, 2023
Lurker4Long:
GreenandGold, continuing with the theme of crazy weather:
The flowers are out in Paternoster and the west coast, a full month before spring!

....wait.. is that not too early for the flowers to bloom?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 4:22pm On Aug 04, 2023
GreenandGold:

....wait.. is that not too early for the flowers to bloom?
It's crazy!

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stormtrooper11(m): 4:51pm On Aug 04, 2023
Faithful007:
You don't need all those stuff.

We're talking about Africa here. If you intercept one commercial aircraft and ask it to return, the rest will follow suit.

Not entirely true.

During the Nigerian civil war, NAF MiGs intercepted cargo planes but that didn't deter them until a cargo plane was shot down in 1968.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 4:52pm On Aug 04, 2023
GreenandGold:

Well Kano is the home of the L39s

I don't think it has anything to do with Niger, yet.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 4:57pm On Aug 04, 2023
Faithful007:

Your capacity to enforce a no fly zone first depends on distance to base or refuel and support facility and then the strength of the enemy.

Also no fly zones doesn't necessarily cover the whole country. Just the area of interest.
The F7 that is the backbone of anything that can be called a capable enforcer in NAF are shortlegged

Make a guesstimate of how many sorties needed to enforce a NFZ for maybe a month

I don't think our L39s or Tucano carry Air to Air weapons so just F7/JF17?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 5:36pm On Aug 04, 2023
Odunayaw:
The F7 that is the backbone of anything that can be called a capable enforcer in NAF are shortlegged

Make a guesstimate of how many sorties needed to enforce a NFZ for maybe a month

NAF don't need air to air missiles. Niger doesn't even have a MBT not to talk of fighter jets. They will only have AA guns at most with 6 helicopters for different roles.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 6:16pm On Aug 04, 2023
iblawi:

NAF don't need air to air missiles. Niger doesn't even have a MBT not to talk of fighter jets. They will only have AA guns at most with 6 helicopters for different roles.
I foresee greater involvement of "externals"
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iblawi(m): 9:09pm On Aug 04, 2023
Odunayaw:
I foresee greater involvement of "externals"

Wagner is the only external

All neighbouring countries are in support of ECOWAS except Mali and they are both landlocked.

Algeria already declared support and another delegation sent to Libya already. Togo, Benin Nigeria and Chad are all against the coup.

I don't foresee any fighter jet coming from anywhere or heavy military equipment.

No cargo plane will even attempt to take such risk. That guy will step down eventually.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by fserpent: 10:02pm On Aug 04, 2023
iblawi:

All neighbouring countries are in support of ECOWAS except Mali and they are both landlocked.

Algeria already declared support and another delegation sent to Libya already. Togo, Benin Nigeria and Chad are all against the coup.

I don't foresee any fighter jet coming from anywhere or heavy military equipment.

No cargo plane will even attempt to take such risk. That guy will step down eventually.
I came here from my daily struggles to call you a man. I wonder how you cope each day dragging those two gigantic balls of steels in between your legs from place to place.
A lot of Nigerians are cowards.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:38pm On Aug 04, 2023
iblawi:

We only need the support of the Americans and military intervention in Niger will commence.

The main threat Nigerian troops will face will come from Wagner, however I don't see Wagner commiting major forces in Niger either. They are mainly preoccupied in Belarus, military intervention in Niger is not necessarily a geopolitical struggle, although it has some of the ingredients needed to make it one between the US and Russia.

For deployment, I suspect the Nigerian Air Force will deploy the following assets.

- 2 x JF-17

- 4 x F-7NI.

These aircrafts will mainly carry out the bulk of Air Interdiction missions & CAP.

I don't think Nigeria will deploy combat helicopters because of threats of the aircrafts been shot down, that's if Wagner are in the area. If there's no threat of Wagner, Attack Helicopters will be deployed in my opinion.

Nigeria plans to carry out many of the bombing missions using UCAVs. UCAV losses I think would be more bearable.

The army composition is much harder to predict. Nigerian army has enough firepower to press on this intervention, who knows we might see that more Heavy weaponry might have been purchased than what has been reported or visually sighted.

In my opinion, I don't think we should allow this coup in Niger to stand, it presents a major national security risk for Nigeria.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:44pm On Aug 04, 2023
Odunayaw:

JF-17 and F-7s will carry out Air Interdiction and CAS.

Nigeria will use UCAV for bombings, while Alpha Jets will carry out CAS.

However diplomacy is the only way forward.

From Sokoto to Naimey is under 500km. Our Aircrafts will make that distance without issues.

At the end, we should see better procurement of military assets for the military after this is over. That's my prediction.

6 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by fserpent: 11:22pm On Aug 04, 2023
kabe1:

Nigeria will use UCAV for bombings, while Alpha Jets will carry out CAS.

From Sokoto to Naimey is under 500km. Our Aircrafts will make that distance without issues.

At the end, we should see better procurement of military assets for the military after this is over. That's my prediction.

That is the best part of this whole thing, Nigeria will realise the need for better Air superiority platforms.

After the Gambian mission which was largely supported by the Navy Nigeria realised the need of a landing craft and they purchased one.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 12:32am On Aug 05, 2023
kabe1:

Nigeria will use UCAV for bombings, while Alpha Jets will carry out CA

I was quite worried about continuing procurements with the way the military were bypassed for the MOD and NSA.

Whether or not the military gets involved in Niger I now agree with your prediction

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 12:33am On Aug 05, 2023
iblawi:

I guess you're right
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by AskiaHarem(m): 1:15am On Aug 05, 2023
I almost didn’t mind these coups. Many of there grievances are legitimate. The problem is the military regimes never transfer towards civilian rule. If they did that very few outside of France would care. These are just opportunistic generals trying to establish their Dynasties.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 8:05am On Aug 05, 2023
Meanwhile, in Mozambique...

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 7:03pm On Aug 05, 2023
SAS Manthatisi spotted at Langebaan, home of 4 Special Forces Regiment ("Iron Fist From The Sea!").

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 10:22pm On Aug 05, 2023
Another excellent article from Van Niekerk!

If ever there was a miserable reason to overthrow the constitutional order of a country, last week’s coup in Niger was it.

The chief of the Presidential Guard, General Abdourahamane Tchiani, reached the retirement age of 62. His boss, president Mohamed Bazoum, tired of the military officer who resented taking orders from a trade unionist, suggested that this would be a good time for him to go back to his farm.
Instead, Tchiani and his guards took Bazoum and his family hostage at gunpoint, threatened a bloodbath if the military did not fall into line, and Tchiani was declared head of state.
Tchiani’s vague and lame excuses for his action provided cover for an elite in Niamey resistant to Bazoum’s reforms, who have willingly embraced the coup.

They were further emboldened by a social media avalanche that has successfully presented the coup as representing a higher purpose — a revolt against French neo-colonialism.

To be clear, neither Russia nor the Wagner mercenaries, from what we know, instigated the coup. However, the post-coup stream of lies and propaganda has closely followed the disinformation playbook from Ukraine and elsewhere and has been hugely effective in framing the narrative.

Silas Paigas, a social media expert at the Abuja-based verification platform, Dubawa.org, has investigated the pro-Russian influencers on social media. One of the most prominent is an account on TikTok owned by an individual called Mutapabere.

Mutapabere, who is Zimbabwean, glorifies Russia and China while deriding France and the West as the enemy and urging military upheavals across Africa.

According to Paigas’ research, Mutapabere boasts a staggering one million followers and has produced more than 2,000 videos that have attracted hundreds of thousands of reactions.

His video from Russia was posted on Thursday and by the end of the weekend had been viewed over 600,000 times and attracted 5,000 comments. Followers called for more coups in Africa and advocated closer ties with Russia.

Mutapabere has close ties with other accounts that glorify the “Russia-China coup” in Africa and the military coups. “These accounts resonate across multiple social media platforms,” says Paigas, “disseminating the same captivating content”.

Many of those who follow, pick up, comment or repost this content are the same social media accounts and trolls that usually support and amplify Russian disinformation. Unsurprisingly, Ecowas is being cast as the new Nato, scorned as “puppets of the West”, with special vilification reserved for Nigerian president Bola Tinubu. As the chairman of Ecowas, he was the prime sponsor of the tough resolution declaring zero tolerance for coups that was hammered out in Abuja last Sunday.

Nigeria provides 60% of its neighbour’s electricity supply and on Thursday, after Abuja basically switched off Niger’s lights, hacktivists launched an attack on Nigeria’s critical digital infrastructure.

Nigeria’s National Information Technology Development Agency identified the culprits as a religiously motivated group, but sources in Nigeria said the group was a Russian cybercrime gang in disguise.

“The Nigerian government decided to stand with French imperialists and fight Niger,” the group, Anonymous Sudan, posted: “No problem: we will stand with our African and Muslim brothers and you will be f***ked. French plans in the Sahel and West Africa will not succeed.”

The propaganda is effective among Francophone West Africans who are fed up with the French and are willing to believe conspiracy theories propagated on social media. But while the former colonial power has a lot to answer for its past, France is not the prime enemy nor the source of the crisis in the Sahel today.
The real menace stalking the region and causing shivers down to the Atlantic Coast is the jihadists, who have inflicted unimaginable cruelty on vulnerable populations.
The rest here:
https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2023-08-04-a-dangerous-moment-for-west-africa-as-niger-coup-fuels-escalation-of-regional-jihadist-wars/

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by davefurn: 11:21pm On Aug 05, 2023
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by AskiaHarem(m): 1:01am On Aug 06, 2023
davefurn:

And who are the sponsors of jihadist?

Wealthy Jihadist

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by fserpent: 6:48am On Aug 06, 2023
davefurn:

And who are the sponsors of jihadist?
Why is it his job or anybodies job for that matter, to sponsor your education and enlightenment on this issue? If you don't know who are the sponsors of Jihadist feel free to go back to the cave from whence you crawled out from with your ridiculous illiterate question.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by slimthugchimee2(m): 9:09am On Aug 06, 2023
fserpent:
Why is it his job or anybodies job for that matter, to sponsor your education and enlightenment on this issue? If you don't know who are the sponsors of Jihadist feel free to go back to the cave from whence you crawled out from with your ridiculous illiterate question.

There was no need for all these

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by davefurn: 10:26am On Aug 06, 2023
fserpent:
Lol, why do you guys delve to insults to feel you can amplify your point, I asked a simple question; who are the sponsors? It's his decision to answer or snub the question. Someone else said wealthy jihadists, did he insult? Or he has 2 heads. Behave yourself, no qualms with you.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (2805) (2806) (2807) (2808) (2809) (2810) (2811) ... (2844) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.