Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,998 members, 7,866,776 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 03:28 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (2847) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6039487 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (2844) (2845) (2846) (2847) (2848) (2849) (2850) ... (2855) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 6:31pm On May 23
Nigerian army will receive multiple Armoured vehicles ordered from Proforce Nigeria.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyVL9tGgItg?si=6hllbgWYRIINLilj

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 6:34pm On May 23
Defence Headquarters had previously received 20 Armoured vehicles received from EPAIL Nigeria Limited.

A different local company.

There is significant effort by the Federal Government and different agencies of government to purchase hardware locally.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by NTSA: 7:36pm On May 23
For the past 1 year Americans have been busy flying in to wajir airbase that is currently undergoing some sort of expansion .we have also seen some High profile visits by the CIA director and Some high ranking military officers.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Baller254: 8:11pm On May 23
scenes from kenya police border patrol unit
nb. first pic is a control detonated IED

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 8:42pm On May 23
Lurker4Long:

Personally, I think the below is far more important, and consequentially beneficial, than the supplicatory beads and mirrors of "non-NATO ally":

That is important as well but you're so wrong about MNNA countries. Being an MNNA country is also huge. You get a lot of free military equipment under US EDA program.

MNNA countries get huge military assistance and aid, as well as technology sharing. Expect a big shift within the KDF.

Besides that, it attracts lots of foreign investments, part of which you've stated.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 8:50pm On May 23
kabe1:
Nigerian army will receive multiple Armoured vehicles ordered from Proforce Nigeria.

NA acquired 20% of PROFORCE, that's quite interesting smiley
Proforce has grown beyond my expectations.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Lurker4Long: 9:08pm On May 23
Faithful007:
That is important as well but you're so wrong about MNNA countries. Being an MNNA country is also huge. You get a lot of free military equipment under US EDA program.

MNNA countries get huge military assistance and aid, as well as technology sharing. Expect a big shift within the KDF.

Besides that, it attracts lots of foreign investments, part of which you've stated.
I previously assumed -perhaps too charitably - that your argumentation was akin to the naive university students I tutored a decade ago. But seriously, how old are you?
I'm wrong that "non-NATO ally" aid is desultory compared to the real trade potential benefits of a US-sponsored semi-conductor pipeline in Kenya?
Never mind your age, how colonised is your mind that you think trinkets have to be gleefully accepted?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GreenandGold: 9:41pm On May 23
I didn't know Kenyan forces use the DCD Springbuck

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 9:47pm On May 23
kabe1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xaq6x14mBy8

Another interesting and insightful interview on counter terrorism gains in the the N.W & N.E with the CDS.
The CDS confirmed the mistaken drone strike on innocent civilians and the circumstance that led to the mis-hap.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:15pm On May 23
bidexiii:

NA acquired 20% of PROFORCE, that's quite interesting smiley
Proforce has grown beyond my expectations.

It's a good strategy for growth. This gives Proforce better penetration with the security architecture.

I'm just glad that they're getting considerable jobs. They have exported to Chad, Benin, Niger, Burkina Faso, Ghana and Rwanda.

They also plan to sell to Pakistan.

You could also hear the MD say they have 10 vehicles coming in from the CBN, in addition to the numerous number of protection vehicles they already sell to the CBN.

Defence Headquarters have bought a good number of vehicles for this order, overall i'm excited for the future.

They have a tracked vehicle in the works, Proforce Hippo. It's been remarkable.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 10:23pm On May 23
bidexiii:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xaq6x14mBy8

Another interesting and insightful interview on counter terrorism gains in the the N.W & N.E with the CDS.
The CDS confirmed the mistaken drone strike on innocent civilians and the circumstance that led to the mis-hap.

The security situation has improved tremendously. It just goes to show, give your men the right training and equipment, they will excel.

Buhari government was forward thinking and they invested heavily in the right type of assets for the military.

The Tinubu government is doing the same thing, and we continue to see improvements.

I just hope that the military continues to receive the right kind of support and training. I still don't believe the rank and file receive the right type of training, I guess it's a gradual process.

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 12:14am On May 24
Lurker4Long:

I previously assumed -perhaps too charitably - that your argumentation was akin to the naive university students I tutored a decade ago. But seriously, how old are you?
I'm wrong that "non-NATO ally" aid is desultory compared to the real trade potential benefits of a US-sponsored semi-conductor pipeline in Kenya?
Never mind your age, how colonised is your mind that you think trinkets have to be gleefully accepted?

I won't trade words with you. I clear things the very last time and won't be responding to you anymore.

I never disagreed with your trade points at all but only for suggesting that the MNNA is a facade (Which I bolded in my response). Military assistance has always been a US diplomatic tool for a long time and there's absolutely nothing wrong with accepting assistance/guarantees when you have security challenges to fill. There are many US allies that have developed economies but still use US military assistance because they understand the mutual benefits. Everything should not be pushed into a colonial narrative.

Israel still relies heavily on US military aid, Singapore as well, South Korea, Canada and so on. It is also economically wiser (In terms of PPC) to do so. These countries have the ability to pursue their own defense industry, but it is just economically unwise. A country that tries to do everything on its own will find little room for growth.

And besides this is primarily a military page not one for economics.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Fidha254(m): 7:36am On May 24
Lurker4Long:

Personally, I think the below is far more important, and consequentially beneficial, than the supplicatory beads and mirrors of "non-NATO ally":

Those were my sentiments too, this has the potential to benefit Kenya more on the long term than the other stuff.

I will repost a story I had posted before about a Kenyan Company called STL

From their website, main patners and clients in this company are DARPA, Northrop Grumman, raytheon technologies, BAE Systems, FLIR, Harvard University, Pennstate, SEAGATE, HITACHI, IBM, SAMSUNG, ORACLE, GEARBOX, Ministry of Energy Kenya among others
Also Raspberry PI's CEO and executives recently visited the facility

And now with the seal of approval by US government and government-to-government agreement, it means more US and even EU companies won't have to worry about security concerns of tech from Kenya or long-term partnerships being disrupted because of politics.

Last pic is Gearbox inspecting the first pieces of Rasberry Pi production in Kenya.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Fidha254(m): 7:56am On May 24
off-topic: We have always tried to deny the stereotype that wild animals roam our streets SMH angry Shiet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5SsVbOvWvk

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 5:14pm On May 24
Odunayaw:
Listen, learn grin. I am telling you how things are done in my country.

The only place the ministry and [rarely] the Senate/House come in is in lobbying the purse holders. And that's about all their role in decision making especially in the current 4th Republic . Neither have veto over decisions of procurement.

Who then submits the budget for military funding?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 5:20pm On May 24
Fidha254:
Those were my sentiments too, this has the potential to benefit Kenya more on the long term than the other stuff.

I will repost a story I had posted before about a Kenyan Company called STL

And now with the seal of approval by US government and government-to-government agreement, it means more US and even EU companies won't have to worry about security concerns of tech from Kenya or long-term partnerships being disrupted because of politics.

Last pic is Gearbox inspecting the first pieces of Rasberry Pi production in Kenya.

Generally, its an American thing to give security assistance in exchange for geopolitical objectives. US guaranteed Israel’s security thereby allowing them to focus on growing their economy from shambles in the 1950s to what it is today. Same thing with South Korea after the Korean war. This gave US key footprint in the ME and Asia.
Singapore, a very small nation would easily have problems with her much bigger neighbors while trying to grow as a country, Singapore by geography is a country that can be easily invaded and her key port that powers her economy is can be easily bypassed with a canal if it becomes non-viable. In exchange for Naval logistics and access, Singapore partnered with the US to grow its military deterrence and reassure investors. Singapore only refused the offer to be an MNNA because of its significant economic relations with China. There are other indo-pacific nations that have similar partnerships as well.

US recent assistance and investment in Kenya is mostly in return for Kenya's agreement to assist Haiti, which in turn will stem the looming migration fallout in the South Border. Win win IMO.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 5:26pm On May 24
Faithful007:

Who then submits the budget for military funding?
And submitting is supposed to mean?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 5:45pm On May 24
Odunayaw:
And submitting is supposed to mean?

Usually all federal government expenditure must pass through the ministries even if the ministries do not control that particular agency.

So I feel like since the defence ministry submits the budget for the military, then the ministry should have some level of influence over what the military wants to get.

Unless the ministry just passes it on without scrutiny.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 6:10pm On May 24
Faithful007:
Usually all federal government expenditure must pass through the ministries even if the ministries do not control that particular agency.

So I feel like since the defence ministry submits the budget for the military, then the ministry should have some level of influence over what the military wants to get.

The ministry has no veto power here. It's probably because of our junta past. Even the Obasanjo (civil) era with the deliberate weakening of the military, the ministry was not the tool he used.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kabe1: 7:44pm On May 24
Faithful007:

Nobody on here works for the MOD or any of the other services so nobody knows how the system works.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Fidha254(m): 8:24pm On May 24
Faithful007:

Generally, its an American thing to give security assistance in exchange for geopolitical objectives. US guaranteed Israel’s security thereby allowing them to focus on growing their economy from shambles in the 1950s to what it is today. Same thing with South Korea after the Korean war. This gave US key footprint in the ME and Asia.
Singapore, a very small nation would easily have problems with her much bigger neighbors while trying to grow as a country, Singapore by geography is a country that can be easily invaded and her key port that powers her economy is can be easily bypassed with a canal if it becomes non-viable. In exchange for Naval logistics and access, Singapore partnered with the US to grow its military deterrence and reassure investors. Singapore only refused the offer to be an MNNA because of its significant economic relations with China. There are other indo-pacific nations that have similar partnerships as well.

US recent assistance and investment in Kenya is mostly in return for Kenya's agreement to assist Haiti, which in turn will stem the looming migration fallout in the South Border. Win win IMO.
Not just Haiti, but but also holding the fort in peace negotiations/ peace keeping in the region, from Somalia, DRC, Sudan, South Sudan peace negotiation btn exiled leaders and s.sudan govt happening in Nairobi as we speak...

Anyway, I'm still skeptical about US/Kenya friendship, America promised they would build $3 Billion 500km 4-6 lane expressway from the port city on Mombasa to the capital Nairobi since Trump days. the expressway would have run alongside the Chinese built railway and included Special economic zones in about 4 towns along the way with light manufacturing industries but the deal is yet to materialize till today... China has just announced they would fund part of the extension the railway they had stopped funding to Uganda, I trust the Chinese to make good on their promise sooner than the US.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theeastafrican.co.ke/tea/business/chinese-back-to-funding-sgr-connecting-kenya-and-uganda-4627208%3fview=htmlamp

US/Kenya have just signed a new deal with a financier for the same expressway in this state visit but I will believe it when I see catapillars on the ground https://www.capitalfm.co.ke/business/2024/05/ruto-gets-sh478bn-for-nairobi-mombasa-expressway-construction/

The main reason why I'm not too eager to trust the Americans on their word is because the recent bromance between US/Kenya is largely due to President Ruto's foreign policy and not parliament, hence the next president can easily change this stance... I would have agreed with you if Kenya/US had signed the trade agreement that was due to be signed this week but negotiators had yet to agree by the time Ruto made the trip due to disagreements.

https://theconversation.com/kenya-and-the-us-are-negotiating-a-trade-deal-that-could-be-a-model-for-africa-but-its-position-on-workers-needs-a-rethink-206584

If America makes a significant investment in Kenyan security then I would believe them, but if they continue to give us 2nd hand hueys like the one that killed our general then it will just be business as usual.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 9:30pm On May 24
Coup in DRC

That country though
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Shaytun: 10:33pm On May 24
Odunayaw:
Coup in DRC

That country though

I wouldn’t call that joke a coup.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Bacteria8: 3:16am On May 25
Ruto is an opportuntist. We will all be all when this thing gonna blow up in his face.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by NTSA: 8:32am On May 25
Fidha254:

The main reason why I'm not too eager to trust the Americans on their word is because the recent bromance between US/Kenya is largely due to President Ruto's foreign policy and not parliament, hence the next president can easily change this stance... I would have agreed with you if Kenya/US had signed the trade agreement that was due to be signed this week but negotiators had yet to agree by the time Ruto made the trip due to disagreements.

In my opinion the designation of Kenya as a major non-NATO ally by the United States is a reflection of long-term efforts and strategic considerations that have been in place for many years ,Its not something that the Us would do in just 2 yrs of Rutos administration,It is not solely a result of President Ruto's administration .Even if there are changes in administration, the foundational aspects of the U.S.-Kenya relationship, particularly in security and strategic cooperation, are likely to remain stable, though the specifics of the engagement might evolve.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Bacteria8: 9:34am On May 25
I'm ashamed of Ruto on behalf of Kenyans angry

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GeneralFarouq: 10:35am On May 25
Faithful007:

The ministry of defense... Lol .. they are merely a political structure...
Honestly, I always thought the ministry was just wy to create opportunity to ciphone money, the defence headquarters can play the role of ministry of defence if need be
Take a look at the history of the minister of defence... He failed woefully in his state, and I dare to say he is clueless about how anything works or should work ... May be if u had an ex military officer there, then he may appreciate the ideas you are trying to pass.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Baller254: 1:39pm On May 25
Following Ruto visit Kenya set to receive 150 -M1117 Armored Vehicles, 8 MD530 and 8 Huey helicopters from the U.S. by the end of the year.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Exnavyboy62: 4:22pm On May 25
Baller254:
Following Ruto visit Kenya set to receive 150 -M1117 Armored Vehicles, 8 MD530 and 8 Huey helicopters from the U.S. by the end of the year.

I hope Mr Ruto is ready to spare some land for a foreign military base cause I know they will ask for it.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by bidexiii: 5:17pm On May 25
Baller254:

Wow that's massive for Kenya grin

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Baller254: 10:43pm On May 25
Exnavyboy62:

I hope Mr Ruto is ready to spare some land for a foreign military base cause I know they will ask for it.

the US already has a joint base with KDF in Lamu for the longest time, long before Ruto came in
Ruto secured another deal to expand the KDF runway near the joint US base to be one of the largest in the country

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Faithful007: 2:13am On May 26
Morocco and US troops supply MREs for African lion exercise in Ghana

(1) (2) (3) ... (2844) (2845) (2846) (2847) (2848) (2849) (2850) ... (2855) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.