Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,783 members, 7,831,525 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (365) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5987201 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) ... (2844) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:50pm On Feb 05, 2016
Meanwhile, over at the Denel test site at Overberg, the last 3 days has seen media from all over the world, defence companies and defence attaches from over 40 countries, exposed to the Rooivalk demonstrating its prowess:
. 20mm cannon;
. FZ 70mm unguided rockests;
. FZ LGR 70 mm guided rockets;
. Umkhonto ATGM in various guises; and
. A-Darter AAM (not yet qualified, for demo only).

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 1:27am On Feb 06, 2016
Henry240:
Nigerian Police
I think Lagos state police(or Nigeria at large) shld partner with IVM motors to produce patrol cars for the police
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ballballo: 3:15am On Feb 06, 2016
GH

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ballballo: 3:20am On Feb 06, 2016
GHA

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 7:09am On Feb 06, 2016
rugged7:
President Buhari decorating Lance Corporal Kenneth Kulugh with the Purple Heart medal for gallantry in the fight against Boko Haram during his moral boosting visit to Nigerian troop in Yola Adamawa on 13th Nov 2015
Nigeria has medals shocked
Pls can u list some
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:33am On Feb 06, 2016
Naval Engineering Services limited, the engineering branch of Nigerian Naval holdings has completed a complete re-fit of NNS Brass and NNS Yola at the Naval Dockyard in Port-Harcourt.

-Engines

-Vessel systems

* everything changed, they are essentially new assets. Photo below shows the vessels during overhaul.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:41am On Feb 06, 2016
NNS Aradu

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 10:53am On Feb 06, 2016
Exercise Treasure Guard, Nigerian Navy

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:39am On Feb 06, 2016
Odunayaw:
I think Lagos state police(or Nigeria at large) shld partner with IVM motors to produce patrol cars for the police

I agree, a lot still has to be done. FRSC and some police units in the South-South use IVM vehicles.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 11:41am On Feb 06, 2016
Naval Engineering Services Limited, Nigeria

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 12:08pm On Feb 06, 2016
Kenyan GSU VN4 APC

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by giles14(m): 1:31pm On Feb 06, 2016
Henry240:
Naval Engineering Services limited, the engineering branch of Nigerian Naval holdings has completed a complete re-fit of NNS Brass and NNS Yola at the Naval Dockyard in Port-Harcourt.

-Engines

-Vessel systems

* everything changed, they are essentially new assets. Photo below shows the vessels during overhaul.
are dey also refitting d Aradu
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:12pm On Feb 06, 2016
giles14:
are dey also refitting d Aradu
They would re-fit Aradu, however they are currently working on NNS Ekun.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by patches689: 4:00pm On Feb 06, 2016
Henry240:

They would re-fit Aradu, however they are currently working on NNS Ekun.

Please dont take this to be provocative,

But I really dont think it makes much sense to refit the Aradu. It would be a better investment to replace it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:18pm On Feb 06, 2016
patches689:

Please dont take this to be provocative,

But I really dont think it makes much sense to refit the Aradu. It would be a better investment to replace it.

Provocative...... Nope!

Aradu is due for a replacement. I've always been of the opinion that Aradu be replaced. 3 chinese Corvettes are enough for our Naval needs.

However if the Aradu refit isn't too financially demanding, the Navy should go on with it, as well as ordering 3 new corvettes.

Who needs a Frigate, when corvettes can fire missiles from over 1500km
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Stephandeswardt: 6:02pm On Feb 06, 2016
Henry240:

Provocative...... Nope!

Aradu is due for a replacement. I've always been of the opinion that Aradu be replaced. 3 chinese Corvettes are enough for our Naval needs.

However if the Aradu refit isn't too financially demanding, the Navy should go on with it, as well as ordering 3 new corvettes.

Frigate for better endurance and sea keeping and volume of fire power.....makes frigate better

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by jteku(m): 6:43pm On Feb 06, 2016
Meet First Hausa Muslim Female Wing Commander, Hajara

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 7:28pm On Feb 06, 2016
Henry240:

Provocative...... Nope!

@Henry pls NN needs capable vessels, we shouldn't settle for less.
Agreed, considering the current threat assessment of our geographical area it might not be prudent to buy frigates... but what about the future. Frigates are the barest minimum for any navy defending a sizable landmass like Nigeria. in my own opinion, i'll say the NN needs a minimum of 4 super-capable frigates and if the politicians decides to be generous, they might top it off with 2 destroyers.
The purpose of large warships is not just to fire missiles to '1500km' range alone, can they handle the same amount of firepower they dish out? they also acts as deterent against foreign aggression.
Presently it appears that warfare will morph more into the unconventional since major sea battles is as been fading since the cold war.
when people talk about how destroyers and Frigate days are over sometimes I wonder whether they are actually looking at the navies if major countries this year 2016. how many navies have dropped their frigates fir corvettes.

our country can afford top-of-the-line frigates if we want to but with this our mentality The NN will only sail with OPVs.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:36pm On Feb 06, 2016
Stephandeswardt:

Frigate for better endurance and sea keeping and volume of fire power.....makes frigate better

Nigerian Navy P18N class corvettes last up to 20 days at sea. A basic C18 Type056 corvette carries 8x SAM and 4x Anti-Ship missiles.

3 units are certainly better than buying just one Frigate.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:41pm On Feb 06, 2016
lionel4power:
@Henry pls NN needs capable vessels, we shouldn't settle for less.
Agreed, considering the current threat assessment of our geographical area it might not be prudent to buy frigates... but what about the future. Frigates are the barest minimum for any navy defending a sizable landmass like Nigeria. in my own opinion, i'll say the NN needs a minimum of 4 super-capable frigates and if the politicians decides to be generous, they might top it off with 2 destroyers.
The purpose of large warships is not just to fire missiles to '1500km' range alone, can they handle the same amount of firepower they dish out? they also acts as deterent against foreign aggression.
Presently it appears that warfare will morph more into the unconventional since major sea battles is as been fading since the cold war.
when people talk about how destroyers and Frigate days are over sometimes I wonder whether they are actually looking at the navies if major countries this year 2016. how many navies have dropped their frigates fir corvettes.

our country can afford top-of-the-line frigates if we want to but with this our mentality The NN will only sail with OPVs.

Agreed you make a lot of sense!

However, I still say 3 Corvettes and an overhauled Aradu.

If you don't like it, come shoot me!

LOL!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:58pm On Feb 06, 2016
SA Navy VBSS team

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:01pm On Feb 06, 2016
Senegalese Peacekeepers

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by agaugust: 8:20pm On Feb 06, 2016
ballballo:
GH

Oil money speaking for Ghana
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 06, 2016
Henry240:

Nigerian Navy P18N class corvettes last up to 20 days at sea. A basic C18 Type056 corvette carries 8x SAM and 4x Anti-Ship missiles.

3 units are certainly better than buying just one Frigate.
Judging by the photo's ive seen of Nigerias P18Ns i can't see were they can be fitted with SAMs, but i do agree they can carry up to 4 ASMs.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 8:33pm On Feb 06, 2016
Henry240:

Agreed you make a lot of sense!

However, I still say 3 Corvettes and an overhauled Aradu.

If you don't like it, come shoot me!

LOL!
Agreed.

Besides Nigeria doesn't have a huge search and rescue area of responsibility.

Aradu should be used as a target during a naval exercise. grin grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 8:54pm On Feb 06, 2016
I know it's not Thursday but here's a nice throwback.

Rooivalk: I still believe the successful deployment of the attack helicopter in the DRC has shown to the world a slight peak of this helicopter's effectiveness in combat and other missions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlweMAzUodQ
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by agaugust: 9:00pm On Feb 06, 2016
Henry240:

-Engines

-Vessel systems

Your photo shows NNS Aradu anchored close to the dry dock and refitted ships. She is likely close to her turn for refit.

For NN 2016-2030, I would suggest.

1. Refitted, slightly modernized-upgraded, fully reloaded and armed as missile frigate NNS Aradu $80 million maximum cost for 15 years life span, or else brand new P18N missile armed light frigate $120 million for 30 year life span.

2. One second hand Type 039 Song Class submarine from China $120 million for 20 year life span.

Total cost $200 to $250 million for conventional warfare fleet 2016-2030. Economic reality.

The other acquisitions for the next 15 years will be OPV, MPV, IPV, logistics support/supply ships, auxillary ships, long range patrol/SAR/Interceptor and insertion helicopters AW 139 and long range cheap Niger Delta patrol Super Mushashak turboprop aircraft.

However, the navy has officially decided 2016 :

1. Potential NNS Aradu refit
2. Refit of about ten old vessels of approx 58m sizes.
2. Four brand new missile patrol boats, two units each of 24m and 35m guided missile armed fast attack crafts. Approx total cost $120 million. Paid for.
3. One brand new Landing Ship Tank, budgeted for.
4. One brand new Survey vessel, budgeted for. (Nigeria's 'EEZ' limit about to be expanded by UN, need to do new territory survey and draw new national hydrological map)
5. 100 IPVs. All paid for.
6. Wants eight long range patrol helicopters, funds not yet granted

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 9:08pm On Feb 06, 2016
Last one.
The G5 155mm howitzer.
The howitzer's Performance:
Rate of fire: 3 rounds per minute.
Range:
- VLAP rounds: 51 - Standard rounds: 31kilometres. - Base bleeds: 41kilometres.
Able to travel up to 16kilometres per hour in level surfaces/roads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIa0M8WS64E
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by agaugust: 9:17pm On Feb 06, 2016
jln115:

Judging by the photo's ive seen of Nigerias P18Ns i can't see were they can be fitted with SAMs, but i do agree they can carry up to 4 ASMs.

Modular construction. Anti-Ship Missile position is on the sides by modular removal of the two oil spill control tanks located on amidships position on each hull side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCDG7tm2eLQ
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by iamord(m): 9:36pm On Feb 06, 2016
ballballo:
GH
I wrote an article on this issue. While it's a good thing that Accra has a world class emergency control center. It's sited on the land mean for the gold Coast city development. Which is not suppose to be
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 9:44pm On Feb 06, 2016
agaugust:

Modular construction. AntiShip Missile position is on the sides by modular removal of oil spill control tanks
I always advise you to keep quiet if you don't know somethings.

Is the vessel "fitted for but not with" ?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 9:44pm On Feb 06, 2016
agaugust:

Modular construction. AntiShip Missile position is on the sides by modular removal of oil spill control tanks
I always advise you to keep quiet if you don't know somethings.

Is the vessel "fitted for but not with" ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (362) (363) (364) (365) (366) (367) (368) ... (2844) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.