Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,265 members, 7,818,921 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:05 AM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (427) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5971169 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:53pm On Mar 10, 2016
gottfried21:
Scenes from the Naval Demo earlier today
Wish I could've taken better pics
But was positioned at a horrible spot
On a side note during the program
The Chief of the Defence force emphasized the need for the Navy to purchase Two-Three Corvettes as the Elephant is "Not a warship and was only bought to boost our Offshore capabilities"-Quote unquote-
Hopefully the C-I-C got the message

Seeing how the defense budget was 'cut' it might not happen in the next 3-4 years
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 3:59pm On Mar 10, 2016
jln115:

I disagree, the army in my opinion is still relatively well off.

Some of the equipment might be old, but are of such good designed that they are still being sold today exp: casspir,mamba,samil.

Rooikat, G6 and Olifant mk1b/mk2 all entered service in the 90s and are relatively new.

SAAF on the other hand are still flying Daks that have been in service for more than 70 years and although modernised the hercs still date back to the 60s.

And we still lack stratigic lift capability.
Tail.

The SAAF's sharp end war fighting equipment(Gripens, Hawks, Rooivalks etc) is modern compared to the army's(Olifant, Ratel, Casspirs etc).

The army also needs smaller newer advanced infantry systems.

Majority of the funds will also be directed to the acquisition of the new infantry combat vehicle(Badger).
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 10, 2016
rugged7:
I understand your point.

The moral difference is very clear to me.

Boko haram are the bad guys

Amisom, Nigerian troops, mnjtf, kenyan troops are the good guys

The rest is media B.S

Anyway... No wahala. Itz your thread so we will respect your rule.

By the way... any info on this

The Cameroonian Army Intercepts a French Helicopter Delivering Weapons To Boko Haram

http://chifysworld..co.uk/2016/03/the-cameroonian-army-intercepts-french.html

This not the 1st or last time...

We keep hearing of foreign helicopters droping weapons for insurgents from IDPs

It's not my thread. Without all our individual, noteworthy contributions this thread wouldn't even exist.

No mainstream source currently corroborates this report. However, it's open-secret, helicopters have been known to deliver supplies to the terrorists.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:05pm On Mar 10, 2016
Nigeria COIN

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 4:25pm On Mar 10, 2016
gottfried21:
1.Nam Marines preparing to complete the Crucible obstacle course
2.C-I-C being briefed by a senior drill instructor
3.Indoor Swimming pool under construction at the Namibian Naval Academy to be opened up later on this year
@ViceAdmiral Also a variety of new weaponary being used in the marine corps shocked it was oh so heavenly...That NBC was asleep though,But I hope they'll show Atleast some of it
Da..mn you Gottfried!

We demand better pictures. grin grin grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 4:39pm On Mar 10, 2016
zuluoscar1:

Eerrmmmm...have u bin shot with a 5.56 before?...when u say infact dat means u have evidence to show that they reali ditch their M4's...can we see those evidence...jux curious

Eeerrrrmmm..no,but I've seen guys hit with 7.62 nato. One was hit at almost 400m in his left shoulder blade. It tore nearly a fist size hole in his front upper chest. I'm looking for the other source currently-I saw it on a forum or blog,IIRC.

Brethren it's about choice, 5.56 is just as effective as 7.62 as long as you are shooting human targets.

Tavors can also fire a 300blk.

Dude,you haven't understood the issue.

Which one will do the most damage? You can't compare the 2 cartridges! Anyone taking a solid 7.62 nato hit within 600 m just flops around on the ground bleeding out-which is why the Rhodies used to call killing Zanu/Zipra freedom fighters 'slotting floppies.' Btw it also kills by the hydrostatic shock of the round destroying blood cell walls.

Even the SAS is dropping the 5.56mm! Like all light infantries and commandos they engage much closer than regular infantry.

The rounds currently issued as standard to SAS troops for their rifles are 5.56 mm calibre. In future, the troopers will be given 7.62 mm rounds – which are almost twice as heavy and designed to kill with a single shot......The 5.56 mm rounds did not take a big enough chunk out of them, allowing fanatical insurgents to keep on fighting despite their wounds. As a result, more SAS soldiers were shot and badly wounded.
‘The need for a heavier round was highlighted in the regiment’s post-Afghanistan report. Tests are now taking place on at least three rifles specially designed to fire the 7.62 mm rounds.
‘The difference in killing power between 5.56 mm and 7.62 mm is startling – the heavier rounds pack so much more of a punch.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2294631/SAS-use-bigger-bullets-kill-enemy-outright-claiming-shoot-wound-policy-lives-risk.html#ixzz42Vz1OGOn
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Fyi,the Brits tried to foist their LI Mk1 on the KA around 2003. A true PoS;the mag often fell out! Point being stick with what works!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by kikuyu1(m): 4:50pm On Mar 10, 2016
Henry240:

It's not my thread. Without all our individual, noteworthy contributions this thread wouldn't even exist.

No mainstream source currently corroborates this report. However, it's open-secret, helicopters have been known to deliver supplies to the terrorists.

Thanks! I've always known of foreign support from the get go! Where do ragged mofos in one camel Hausaland get twin barrel 14.5 mm and thousands of rounds? Unfortunately not enough of us pay attention to this crucial question. Eeben Barlow specifically said BH have admitted under interrogation:"Europeans are flying us around in helicopters.""
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by zuluoscar1: 5:04pm On Mar 10, 2016
[quote author=kikuyu1 post=43651535]

Eeerrrrmmm..no,but I've seen guys hit with 7.62 nato. One was hit at almost 400m in his left shoulder blade. It tore nearly a fist size hole in his front upper chest. I'm looking for the other source currently-I saw it on a forum or blog,IIRC.
My oga, u definately cannot compare 5.56 to the 7.62 nato round...they r in different leagues...i was of the view we were comparing 5.56 to 7.62*39 round.....cheers
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by agaugust: 5:06pm On Mar 10, 2016
ballballo:

We have the Chinese WZ-523 but the vehicle in the picture is a mowag vehicles. As for the black uniform, I do not know why but it probably vehicle operators that wears it. I have also seen specialize unit wear it to.

That's not a Mowag, Swiss Mowag has no glass windows. It's Chinese WZ-523

You send women into battle? Or it's just for parade?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:07pm On Mar 10, 2016
gottfried21:
3.Indoor Swimming pool under construction at the Namibian Naval Academy to be opened up later on this year
@ViceAdmiral Also a variety of new weaponary being used in the marine corps shocked it was oh so heavenly...That NBC was asleep though,But I hope they'll show Atleast some of it

interesting times for the navy....too bad the MoD has a cra*ppy PR department....where is the navy academy being built??at the naval base? at rooikop or Walvis Bay proper?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:09pm On Mar 10, 2016
Exercise Obangame 2016

"Are you ready for the largest Naval exercise in our Continent?"..... Exercise Obangame 2016!!!

Last year's Obangame 2015 held off the coast of Ghana, had 49 ships participating, including 9 helicopters and 1 fixed wing ATR-42. This years exercise promises to be bigger and better.

Nigeria's contribution to Obangame is usually very significant. The Nigerian navy usually provides 4 Warships, 1 Helicopter, while the Airforce provides the ATR-42.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by agaugust: 5:27pm On Mar 10, 2016
patches689:

SA Soldier killed and another wounded in Sudan

Some interesting info about our deployment:

- Contributed around 850 men from 2008
- Current total cost of the deployment (since 2008) in the region of $200 million.

With this in mind, its hardly surprising we pulled out. Something I have personally advocated for quite some time.

Goodbye and good fvcking riddance!

South Africa gets cash refunded back to her for peace keeping in Sudan. UN/AU pays for all SANDF expenses. The Sudan Dafur mission costs South Africa almost nothing. Find a better excuse for abandoning a tough mission while same President Zuma is in Abuja now calling on African armies to unite amd fight all evil....while he retreats from crisis zone and abandons Dafur people without feelings.

Nigeria spent over $10 Billion of tax payers money to single handedly fund a 10 year war of 15,000 NA troops of which 1,000 Nigerian soldiers died leaving widows and fatherless children behind in Lagos, Abuja, everywhere. No UN, AU, or ECOWAS ever paid us one dollar refund. Yet a Nigerian army battalion is still based in Liberia/Sierra Leone today since 26 years ago !

Nigeria has NEVER complained one day !!! True lover of Africa.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:14pm On Mar 10, 2016
Senegalese Navy OPV 45

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by agaugust: 6:23pm On Mar 10, 2016
GHKWAME1:
With regards to your confusion over the type of guns, I am still digging for info.

The women combatants are in the Recce (Reconnaissance) unit, aside from having the option to wear the army carmouflage, the black uniform is largely used for ceremonial purposes.

Thanks. Also post pic of Ghana Super Tucano when the aircraft arrive from Brazil. Are we expecting tanks in Ghana this year?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZAR: 6:35pm On Mar 10, 2016
agaugust:

South Africa gets cash refunded back to her for peace keeping in Sudan. UN/AU pays for all SANDF expenses. The Sudan Dafur mission costs South Africa almost nothing. Find a better excuse for abandoning a tough mission while same President Zuma is in Abuja now calling on African armies to unite amd fight all evil....while he retreats from crisis zone and abandons Dafur people without feelings.

Nigeria spent over $10 Billion of tax payers money to single handedly fund a 10 year war of 15,000 NA troops of which 1,000 Nigerian soldiers died leaving widows and fatherless children behind in Lagos, Abuja, everywhere. No UN, AU, or ECOWAS ever paid us one dollar refund. Yet a Nigerian army battalion is still based in Liberia/Sierra Leone today since 26 years ago !

Nigeria has NEVER complained one day !!! True lover of Africa.
I don't see how this has anything to do with Pat's posts.

Wonder why you were silent during Nigeria's withdrawal from Mali and Sudan.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by GHKWAME1: 6:40pm On Mar 10, 2016
agaugust:

Thanks. Also post pic of Ghana Super Tucano when the aircraft arrive from Brazil. Are we expecting tanks in Ghana this year?

The Ghana navy and air force love fanfare, perhaps reason being that they have been starved of resources for a long time unlike their army counterpart. Believe me having pictures of the Tucanos to post won't be a big deal when they arrive.

Side note. Ghana also contributed troops to both Liberia and Sierra Leone, I have buddies who just returned on a six months tour in Liberia. One thing I agree with you is that we have done badly in telling our story.

Look at how shamefully Hollywood made General Dalaire a handful of Canadian troops be the centre piece of the peacekeeping operation in Rwanda. When it is on record that the general who was the
force commander relied on the Ghanaian batallion to prosecute his operations when contributing countries were pulling out of Rwanda enmasse after the capture and killing of the four Belgian soldiers.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:11pm On Mar 10, 2016
gottfried21:

NBC was sleeping as always angry
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by agaugust: 7:18pm On Mar 10, 2016
MikeCZAR:

Wonder why you were silent during Nigeria's withdrawal from Mali and Sudan.

Nigerian army signals regiment never left Mali till today, garrison regiment was recalled for being put under a strange Rwandan commander that had no troops in Mali and who did not participate in the fighting ops. Who withdrew Nigerian contingent from Sudan? You?

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 7:23pm On Mar 10, 2016
ViceAdmiral:

NBC was sleeping as always angry
If you want to edit the Wiki Page I could list all the equipment I saw

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 7:27pm On Mar 10, 2016
MikeCZAR:
Da..mn you Gottfried!

We demand better pictures. grin grin grin
I tried undecided
Everything was just so exciting grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:29pm On Mar 10, 2016
gottfried21:
New Namibian Desert Cammo to be adopted by all service branches
Except the Air Force
The Marines will have both the Jungle Cam and Desert Cam

Well the Air Force just got that weird-ish air force version of the old cammo....The jungle cammo the marines are currently using was never gonna work in the Namib Desert ..Uhm is the Air Force awaiting delivery of some medium sized transporter?

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:33pm On Mar 10, 2016
gottfried21:

If you want to edit the Wiki Page I could list all the equipment I saw

you should but it will take a while kind of busy these days, Do you know why the MoD isint updating its website

Video unrelated
Basic Military Training grads

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1SDBsaK-HQ
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 7:38pm On Mar 10, 2016
ViceAdmiral:

Well the Air Force just got that weird-ish air force version of the old cammo....The jungle cammo the marines are currently using was never gonna work in the Namib Desert ..Uhm is the Air Force awaiting delivery of some medium sized transporter?
Indeed they are
Remember I told you that they placed an order for them from Russia?

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:45pm On Mar 10, 2016
gottfried21:

Indeed they are
Remember I told you that they placed an order for them from Russia?

Is the rooikop base a joint base between the marines and the army or the army batt has been pushed out?the marine commandos were wearing balaclavas for the demo but they werent during their graduation grin..Still waiting for the list wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01AfmUO_47k
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by M14A1: 7:54pm On Mar 10, 2016
kikuyu1:

Dude,you haven't understood the issue.

Which one will do the most damage? You can't compare the 2 cartridges! Anyone taking a solid 7.62 nato hit within 600 m just flops around on the ground bleeding out-which is why the Rhodies used to call killing Zanu/Zipra freedom fighters 'slotting floppies.' Btw it also kills by the hydrostatic shock of the round destroying blood cell walls.

Even the SAS is dropping the 5.56mm! Like all light infantries and commandos they engage much closer than regular infantry.
You are not understanding mine either.
I'm giving you reasons why tavors should continue with Nigerian navy elite sbs.

Besides all these talk about ammo caliber you seem to forget that you still need a decent round placement, I still maintain that as long as you intend killing human targets 556 is OK.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 10, 2016
Nigerian Army Airborne Troops

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 8:20pm On Mar 10, 2016
ViceAdmiral:

Is the rooikop base a joint base between the marines and the army or the army batt has been pushed out?the marine commandos were wearing balaclavas for the demo but they werent during their graduation grin..Still waiting for the list wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01AfmUO_47k
Nope army at Rooikop
AK-103(Standard Issue Marine rifle)
GP-25 under barrel Grenade launcher
AKS-74U
CQ Rifle
Ruger P95 pistol
SVD Sniper rifle
Brand new PKM machine guns
And DSHK
AGS-30 AGL
There you go

Angolan Army

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:24pm On Mar 10, 2016
gottfried21:
Nope army at Rooikop AK-103(Standard Issue Marine rifle) AKS-74U CQ Rifle Ruger P95 pistol SVD Sniper rifle Brand new PKM machine guns And DSHK AGS-30 AGL There you go

Angolan Army
Do you have a photo of the AK-103, in-fact all the rifles?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 8:31pm On Mar 10, 2016
Henry240:

Do you have a photo of the AK-103, in-fact all the rifles?
Unfortunately not undecided
Will check NAMPA and the papers tomorrow
In case they took any

Ugandan Army

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:42pm On Mar 10, 2016
Nigeria Random

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:48pm On Mar 10, 2016
gottfried21:
Unfortunately not undecided Will check NAMPA and the papers tomorrow In case they took any
Ugandan Army
Thanks for your efforts anyway. Probably going forward, photos would emerge.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:18pm On Mar 10, 2016
gottfried21:
Unfortunately not undecided Will check NAMPA and the papers tomorrow In case they took any
Ugandan Army
Did you guys get any heavy equipment, IFV, Artillery et al ?

(1) (2) (3) ... (424) (425) (426) (427) (428) (429) (430) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: Tochex101(m), Baller254 and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.