Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,978 members, 7,866,668 topics. Date: Thursday, 20 June 2024 at 10:48 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (660) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6039180 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (657) (658) (659) (660) (661) (662) (663) ... (2855) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:15pm On Sep 23, 2016
Xer0:
Can you share his biography

Lieutenant General Robert Kariuki Kibochi is the Commander of the Kenya Army following his promotion and appointment on 28 July 2016.
Lt Gen Kibochi was enlisted into the Kenya Defence Forces on 18 May 1979 and underwent Officer Cadets Training until 30 March 1980 and commissioned in the rank of Second Lieutenant and posted to Signals Battalion.
He has held various command and staff appointments including that of Assistant Chief of Defence Forces in charge of Operations, Plans, Doctrine and Training, Chief of Strategic Plans and Policy, Director International Peace Support Training Centre, Col Operations Requirements (CIS) and Commander Corps of Signals. Other appointments held include Chief of Staff at the Eastern Africa Standby Force, SO1 Records HQ KA, SO1 Comms HQ KA, SO1 Mobilization DHQ, SO1 Comms CIS DHQ and SOII Operations and Training at the HQ of the Corps of Signals.
Lt Gen Kibochi has earned Masters Degree of Arts in International Studies, Masters Degree in Computer Based Information Systems and Bachelors of Technology in Communication and Electronics Engineering, and pursuing Ph.D. degree in Peace and Conflict Management. His other professional training include National Security Studies at the National Defence College (Kenya). Army Command and Staff Course (UK), Overseas Telecoms Engineering Course (UK), Signal Officers Degree Telecommunications Engineering Course (India), Sub Unit Commanders Course, Platoon Commanders Course, Regimental Signal Officers Course among other training courses.
He served with the United Nations as Commander of Kenyan Contingent in the United Nations Mission in Sierra Leone (UNAMSIL) from 2000 – 2001; while his decorations include Chief of the Burning Spear (CBS) and Elder of the Burning Spear (EBS), among others.
Lt Gen Kibochi was born in Nakuru on 15 August 1959. He is married to Tabitha and blessed with four daughters and a grandson.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:18pm On Sep 23, 2016
P18N Nigerian Navy's NNS Unity, F92.

Beautiful boat.

7 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 2:29pm On Sep 23, 2016
MikeCZA:
The battle of Bangui imagine if the regional decided to intervene and SA had to capture Bangui again.

The air port there would be a sought after target by rebels still in the city. Mortars, Chinese rocket launchers etc.

Or say the FIB had to retake Goma from M23.

Paratroopers or elite troops can be insisted into the air port seize it to be used as a command post, logistics base etc. Aircraft bring supplies will be a target hard to ignore so attempts will be made to destroy them on the ground.

I'm not denying the value of C-RAM systems, however missiles are very costly to be integrated.

In a case like Bangui where cheap rockets would be fired at the airport... How many missiles would one have to use to deflect those many rockets?. Remember rockets and mortar are cheaper and easily available than missiles and you would just run out of them within a few minutes of while rockets and mortar would be sustained for hours-on-end.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 2:30pm On Sep 23, 2016
Henry240:

Beautiful boat.
Beautiful indeed
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ssaengine: 2:33pm On Sep 23, 2016
Henry240:

Beautiful boat.

Was this not meant to be built in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 2:39pm On Sep 23, 2016
ssaengine:

Was this not meant to be built in Nigeria?

Aren't we all asking the same question. With 9 months behind delivery date, i'm just glad the ship has been handed over.

Moving forward, we would probably know the difficulties we had with completing the build in Nigeria and if anything else was achieved asides the upgrade of the Naval shipyard in Port-Harcourt.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 2:59pm On Sep 23, 2016
ActivateKruger:

I'm not denying the value of C-RAM systems, however missiles are very costly to be integrated.

In a case like Bangui where cheap rockets would be fired at the airport... How many missiles would one have to use to deflect those many rockets?. Remember rockets and mortar are cheaper and easily available than missiles and you would just run out of them within a few minutes of while rockets and mortar would be sustained for hours-on-end.

Funds for system integration into the existing command and control will be cheaper.

One of the capabilities the upgrade provides is the ability track and locate the origin of fire.

Rounds which are fired by not so well trained people with their advisors aren't going to be accurate. The system similar to the Israeli Iron dome engages threats which are going to fall where your assets are. Fire can't be sustained in a residential area.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 2:59pm On Sep 23, 2016
MikeCZA:
Let's just say they are troublesome.

Maybe in attacking surface targets.

It isn't just the fire control unit(radar, IR sensor etc)

I believe it was the because of funds that the revolver guns which were demonstrated to the SANDF(Their C-RAM capability) were aren't purchased.

They no more of a issue than a rouge 12.7mm, the VSP on a mine hunter, the 20mm or what ever. The DPG is fundamentally a 35mm GDF a tried and tested platform.

Or maybe they though it was not needed since the cost are not worth the benefits
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:04pm On Sep 23, 2016
With NNS Unity joining the fleet, the Nigerian Navy now has 5 OPVs in service.

OPV

- NNS Centenary

- NNS Unity

- NNS Okpabana

- NNS Thunder

- NNS Prosperity OPV/Training ship.

For ocean going vessels between 40 - 60 meters.

- NNS Karaduwa

- NNS Sagbama

- NNS Barama (converted mine-hunter)

- NNS Ohue ( converted mine-hunter)

- NNS Damisa

- NNS Siri

- NNS Ayam

-NNS Burutu

- NNS Zaria

- NNS Badagry

Seaward Defence Boat, 29 - 38 meters

-NNS Brass

-NNS Yola

-NNS Andoni

-NNS Edo

- 6 x Shadlag boats

- 2 x Ocea boats

- 5 x T-P marine boats

Countless other Inshore patrol crafts. The fleet is large enough to deal with criminalities in our EEZ.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 3:20pm On Sep 23, 2016
It would be perfect is the Nigerian navy can award a contract for the local construction of 2 additional ships. 58 meters, one OPV and one Logistics ship.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:21pm On Sep 23, 2016
L-15, Zambia

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:26pm On Sep 23, 2016

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 4:44pm On Sep 23, 2016
Bridge/Cockpit of Nigerian Navy's OPV, NNS Unity

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Deway75: 4:45pm On Sep 23, 2016
I think I'll go for the Yak-130 any given day! Two squadrons (24) to replace the Alpha jets and L-39 Albatros. I'm not so inclined to the idea of replacing the alpha jets with Tucanos.

L-15, Zambia
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:35pm On Sep 23, 2016
off topic but saw everybody discussing C RAM, let me chip in with laser based C RAM which is the way forward because of greater lethality against a wide envelop of targets , cost effectiveness , etc. already work is progressing in many countries. Rheimetall already has a working prototype i think based on their 35mm revolver gun turret.

and now time for me to vamoose before somebody..................... grin

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:37pm On Sep 23, 2016
A pair of S-125/Pechora V-600 missiles on ZIL-131 transporter vehicle of the Zambian air force

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 6:04pm On Sep 23, 2016
nemesis2u:
off topic but saw everybody discussing C RAM, let me chip in with laser based C RAM which is the way forward because of greater lethality against a wide envelop of targets , cost effectiveness , etc. already work is progressing in many countries. Rheimetall already has a working prototype i think based on their 35mm revolver gun turret.

and now time for me to vamoose before somebody..................... grin
Just in time before you can go anywhere! grin grin grin

Criticism in my part of the world regarding laser based platform over kinetic munition based system is that the former isn't all weather capable. Similar to when GPS was introduced to air to ground guided munitions cause their effectiveness was reduced in cloudy, misty weather or when there's around.

Yes, I think they(Rheinmetall) were working on the multiple telescopes version but still based on the same turret.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by LTGEN: 6:26pm On Sep 23, 2016
Henry240:

Aren't we all asking the same question. With 9 months behind delivery date, i'm just glad the ship has been handed over.

Moving forward, we would probably know the difficulties we had with completing the build in Nigeria and if anything else was achieved asides the upgrade of the Naval shipyard in Port-Harcourt.
I will deliberately eschew the political issues surrounding the NN UNITY , like Mr HENRY I will concentrate on the positive aspect of it.
it does appear that the NN UNITY could not be built at the PH SHIPYARD perhaps because the upgrades were not completed, also it does appear some issues were worked during the President's visit to China, this necessitated the DEF. Minister most likely coordinating with his counterpart just as he did in Russia
Moving along the upgrades at Port harcourt need to happen soon for maintenance purposes of these two ships NN UNITY & CENTENARY, both Ships are expected to be tasked with a major role in the EEZ ZONE.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:43pm On Sep 23, 2016
MikeCZA:
Just in time before you can go anywhere! grin grin grin

Criticism in my part of the world regarding laser based platform over kinetic munition based system is that the former isn't all weather capable. Similar to when GPS was introduced to air to ground guided munitions cause their effectiveness was reduced in cloudy, misty weather or when there's around.

Yes, I think they(Rheinmetall) were working on the multiple telescopes version but still based on the same turret.

technology improves every second lolzzz maybe i am cutting it too close grin

but in 2014 HEL-MD (high energy laser mobile device) 10kw output was field tested in multiple weather conditions successfully by Boeing . it shot down mortars through fog, rain, clouds etc.

though it still has to be validated in snowy weather , if they have done it in the meantime i have no info.

vamooseeeeeeee...........henry240 cant catch me now grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:05pm On Sep 23, 2016
ssaengine:
Another one of Denel's projects that the public forget about. Marlin family of missiles....80-100km range.

The first guided test flight against a moving target is coming up in November. smiley
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 7:08pm On Sep 23, 2016
nemesis2u:

technology improves every second lolzzz maybe i am cutting it too close grin

but in 2014 HEL-MD (high energy laser mobile device) 10kw output was field tested in multiple weather conditions successfully by Boeing . it shot down mortars through fog, rain, clouds etc.

though it still has to be validated in snowy weather , if they have done it in the meantime i have no info.

vamooseeeeeeee...........henry240 cant catch me now grin
Last one before mods are called to throw us out. grin grin

There's a bit of marketing there. The multiple telescopes Rheinmetall will have an out of 30kw. Though cause of the number of telescopes.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:27pm On Sep 23, 2016
ANOTHER ORYX HIT BY SMALL ARMS FIRE IN THE DRC

An Oryx medium transport helicopter of the South African Air Force was hit twice in the main rotor blades during operations against the ADF on Saturday, 17 September, according to people familiar with an internal MONUSCO report on the incident.
The helicopter was conducting airlift operations around the Beni area in support of Operation Usalama, the joint MONUSCO and FARDC mission against the ADF rebel group. During one of the landing approaches, small arms fire was received from the surrounding area and the troops on the ground waved the aircraft off. After returning to Beni Mavivi Airport (FNZP) a visual inspection discovered two strikes by small calibre ammunition on the main rotor blades, but no other damage.

Reports from MONUSCO troops on the ground also indicated that earlier that day FARDC troops had attempted to force the same helicopter to airlift them out of the area, even though the flight had been intended as a casualty evacuation (CASEVAC) only. The situation was resolved after MONUSCO troops from the Tanzanian battalion intervened. There is no indication that the two incidents were linked, though it does suggest a disturbing breakdown in FARDC cooperation and discipline.

https://www.africandefence.net/another-oryx-hit-by-small-arms-fire-in-the-drc/

PICS: An SAAF tradition after 1000 hours flying the Oryx.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 7:55pm On Sep 23, 2016
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 7:59pm On Sep 23, 2016
Nice hull too, stealth hull design. Centenary

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 8:03pm On Sep 23, 2016
Henry240:

Beautiful boat.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 8:48pm On Sep 23, 2016
JF-17 DSI. They should have at least reduced this fighter RCS. [img]http://thelexicans.files./2013/12/jf17_thunder_dsi_intake_01.jpg[/img]

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by gottfried21(m): 10:32pm On Sep 23, 2016
Indoor pool at the Namibian Naval Academy
Final touches smiley

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 10:51pm On Sep 23, 2016
Henry240:
It would be perfect is the Nigerian navy can award a contract for the local construction of 2 additional ships. 58 meters, one OPV and one Logistics ship.
after this...AGGRESSIVE replacement of our naval power!!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Odunayaw(m): 11:06pm On Sep 23, 2016
theDEVILisHERE:

Most black people from the past couple of centuries to present day have proven themselves to be benafide idiiots and foolls hence black people (the world over) are currently in a huge mess

I don't expect most to get the message
BUT

The message has been passage
U either take it or leave it
but nothing will change the true fact of things
so you feel you have achieved sumthn??

(1) (2) (3) ... (657) (658) (659) (660) (661) (662) (663) ... (2855) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.