Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,548 members, 7,847,263 topics. Date: Saturday, 01 June 2024 at 02:09 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (730) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (6009829 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (727) (728) (729) (730) (731) (732) (733) ... (2849) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:08pm On Oct 31, 2016
Henry240:

From a Nigerian perspective, i can categorically say we do not require an AWACS or AEW&C. When ever we'll need it, we'll buy it. We do not have the resources to spend on the things we do not need. Our defence acquisition has and would always be on a need basis.

The Nigerian Air Force has been carrying out modern Strike Missions since 1993. That's 23 years of continious strike missions all across West-Africa. Our defence purchase also reflects this.

We have a piracy problem, our Naval acquisition reflects this also.

It's the same argument with buying the SU-30 over the JF-17. We won't consider the SU-30 because there is no requirement for it, however the SU-34 we would consider.

Instead of investing in an AWACS, we should channel the resource into acquiring more helicopters, transport planes and surveillance infrastructure.
you want to tell us Nigeria has complete radar coverage of nigeria air space !
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:12pm On Oct 31, 2016
Currently we don't need the AWAC no visible threat to use scarce funds for that.
What we need is Armed drones / Gunships / transport&surveillance platforms

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 5:14pm On Oct 31, 2016
africaken254:
add the following list and tell me if it adds up to 1300MW ! also you said you have the biggest wind farm not that you generate the most power in africa using wind https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_power_stations_in_South_Africa

We have the biggest farm under construction in Africa (excluding Morocco) BUT have the largest capacity.... My point was to show you where we spend the money, but of course you neglected the 8 nuke reactors, 12 new thermal units, new passenger locomotives, the mega refinery, deep ports and all smiley

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:15pm On Oct 31, 2016
As operations intensify in Sirte NGR must prepare to increase military activity but covert & overt in Niger /Mali to intercept ISWAP bound Isis fighters n weaponry

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:16pm On Oct 31, 2016
IbnSultaan:
Currently we don't need the AWAC no visible threat to use scarce funds for that.
What we need is Armed drones / Gunships / transport&surveillance platforms

The recent arrival of two foreign-registered airplanes without clearance documents to Nigeria, raises the question as to whether those charged with the responsibility of managing Nigeria's airspace are up to their task.

Some of the major functions of Total Radar Coverage of Nigeria (TRACON) are that it tracks, identifies and monitors every aircraft in Nigeria's airspace. Despite the introduction of TRACON, many flights still find their way illegally into Nigeria, an indication that Nigeria's airspace is not totally radar-covered.

These air planes land in Nigeria with spurious clearance certificates allegedly forged for them by their local partners who also facilitate their coming into. There are many of such companies in Nigeria's aviation industry. Some of them are into cargo; others are into business jet operation. There are also big players that have fixed base facilities that enhance such movement.

Some years ago, a big beverage manufacturing company wanted to produce a commercial for one of its products. Some of the commercials would be shot by a helicopter, so the company approached some helicopter companies in Nigeria, which presented their prices for the service. Feeling that these prices were high, the company decided to negotiate with a helicopter company in Ghana, which presented relatively lower charges.

Without recourse to the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA), this company brought Ghanaian- registered helicopter with crew to come and shoot the commercial in Nigeria. The Helicopter first landed at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos and in the following few days was hopping all over Lagos. During the shooting, the chopper landed in one private school located in Lagos Island without authorisation. The school then alerted concerned authorities. The chopper was later grounded and was fined before it was allowed to fly back to Ghana.

read more http://allafrica.com/stories/201509251015.html
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:19pm On Oct 31, 2016
lionel4power:

Although you did mention some weeks ago that the NAF had a requirement for an AWAC but the deal didn't pull through.

Owning an AWAC/AEW&C doesn't really need a requirement and that's the problem.

Its like a policeman that has a gun because his neighbors has a gun, then he buys a knife because his neighbors had one but he wont buy a CCTV camera because his neighbors doesn't have it. that is a very inhibiting way of thinking. Why not acquire it to enhance your collective situational awareness.

By the Way I believe Nigeria has the cash to buy any thing they want only if the politicians decides to forgo currruption for national development. I DONT PITY POLITICIANS POCKETS.

I don't think i've ever mentioned that. I've consistently said our defence procurement is based on a need basis. If we needed an AWACS we would get and AWACS, we just don't need them.

Owning anything requires a need. This is reality. I don't see us facing a threat that needs one.

Only problem is, your analogy doesn't apply here. Nobody picks a fight they can't win or need. This is way through out the cold war, the US and Russia never actually faced off in direct combat against one another.

Situational Awareness, Information can be shared without a an AWACS. I hope you know the Chinese have just launched a KLJ-7A radar for the JF-17. This is more of requirement than an AWACS.

It is not a corruption issue. There are just better things to invest than money in than toys we don't need. It's the fact.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:21pm On Oct 31, 2016
The TRACON case am not its fully operational.

Incidents like that happens, current economic reality in NGR wouldn't allow us acquire military resources that don't solve / tackle primary threats .
Current MOD mandate is full scale modernization hopefully when things get better economically we can. africaken254

Henry240 tackling root causes of our insecurity also requires money
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 5:24pm On Oct 31, 2016

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:28pm On Oct 31, 2016
africaken254:

read more ]

https://www.nama.gov.ng/load.php?pg=131

TRACON effectively fulfills that role. A hearsay report, he said, she said with no substance bears no basis on reality. Read up on TRACON.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:31pm On Oct 31, 2016
IbnSultaan:
The TRACON case am not its fully operational.

Incidents like that happens, current economic reality in NGR wouldn't allow us acquire military resources that don't solve / tackle primary threats .
Current MOD mandate is full scale modernization hopefully when things get better economically we can. africaken254

Henry24 tackling root causes of our insecurity also requires money

TRACON is fully operational and has since gone live. We've always had a full Radar awareness of our Airspace tracking targets that are 250 nautical miles away from our borders.

Let's not base our argument on an intangible.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:33pm On Oct 31, 2016
africaken254:
you want to tell us Nigeria has complete radar coverage of nigeria air space !

Off course we do.

Currently, all TRACON sites namely: Lagos, Kano, Abuja,
Port Harcourt, Maiduguri, Ilorin, Talata-Mafara, Obubra
and Numan have been successfully deployed and are
fully operational.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 5:33pm On Oct 31, 2016
Henry240:

TRACON is fully operational and has since gone live. We've always had a full Radar awareness of our Airspace tracking targets that are 250 nautical miles away from our borders.

Let's not base our argument on an intangible.
I just want to know about the EW capability of the Nigerian Military.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Iblawi1: 5:43pm On Oct 31, 2016
Tinfoil:
AESA radar for twin-seater version JF-17B.

https://twitter.com/xinfengcao/status/793069447409864705/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Can you interpret that Chinese stuff? Where is Chinese8107?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:43pm On Oct 31, 2016
Henry240:

It probably was for Navy week, i'm judging from the level of work on Eko Pearl Towers in Eko Atlantic city. They've advanced much more than that stage, as represented in the photo.

My money is on Navy day. With the Navy, i just hope we get to see more local, bigger naval builds.
So apparently that picture was taken during Independence Day celebrations.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:46pm On Oct 31, 2016
tdayof:
I just want to know about the EW capability of the Nigerian Military.

I don't know, that's not an area i have knowledge about.

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 31, 2016
jakeporeshenko:
So apparently that picture was taken during Independence Day celebrations.
That's cool. Are there any more photos from the fly/Sail past?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by upko1: 5:52pm On Oct 31, 2016
lionel4power:
Something we tend to forget easily is that most wars fought since... the aggressor usually coerce the neighbors to allow their troops pass through the border to attack
It is stupidity at this time for the Nigerian military to invest in AWACs,
Radios
Ambulance
Hospitals
Troop transports
MRE
Training
Gears

These are just a few of essential things that are lacking and you want AWACs, then next would be space exploration I guess

Wake up.

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 6:01pm On Oct 31, 2016
Iblawi1:

Synthetic Aperture Imaging
Track and search
Ground moving target tracking
Sea target and tracking
Missile guidance and multi-target attack.
Chinese should complete it. My Chinese isn't too perfect.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 6:04pm On Oct 31, 2016
I just found a translated version.

AESA RADAR

Working Mode
TWS
Single/Multiple Objects Tracking
Dogfight
Real-Beam Map
DBS
Ground Moving Target Scanning and Tracking
Searching and Tracking On-The-Sea Target
Meteorology Mode
Missile Guidance & Multi-target Attack
Multimode alteration etc.

Main Feature
Long detect range
Multi-target
High precision

So the radar in question is an AESA airborne fire-control radar, as can be seen in the heading of the product-introductory monitor screen- and is a 'technology upgrade and jump in generation' of the existing radar on the current batch of JF-17s in service while being comparable to the F-35's radar(as stated by the product introductory monitor screen)
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 6:10pm On Oct 31, 2016
upko1:

Radios
Ambulance
Hospitals
Troop transports
MRE
Training
Gears

These are just a few of essential things that are lacking and you want AWACs, then next would be space exploration I guess

Wake up.
Bro the Nigerian Military Is Classified Into Army, Navy and Airforce. Each with her budget so the all can't invest in the above. To me I'll be happy if the airforce can speed up the development on her locally made UAV.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Tinfoil: 6:11pm On Oct 31, 2016
Iblawi1:

Am sorry I sure cant
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by EVarn(m): 6:11pm On Oct 31, 2016
I see the debate is still on ....hmmm Sorry for derailing guys....keep up the conversation smiley
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:15pm On Oct 31, 2016
Henry240:

TRACON effectively fulfills that role. A hearsay report, he said, she said with no substance bears no basis on reality. Read up on TRACON.

On Tuesday, Adurogboye informed journalists that NCAA had released one of the two aircraft, the Bombardier 700-100 after the owners of the aircraft paid a fine of N7 million to the Nigerian Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA) and $20,000 (N4.4 million) to the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA).

NCAA also announced it had continued to ground the other aircraft, an Embraer 135BJ with Registration marks XA-MHA from Farnborough, London until it pays the N7 billion fine.
so this is hearsay,planes which even the same authority mandated to monitor nigeria airspace,have grounded after having continuously operated inside nigeria air splace without raising an alarm.this planes are being grounded when they have already landed in nigeria, not forced to land by nigeria air force for having illegally entered into nigeria air space
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 6:18pm On Oct 31, 2016
tdayof:
I just found a translated version.

AESA RADAR

Working Mode
TWS
Single/Multiple Objects Tracking
Dogfight
Real-Beam Map
DBS
Ground Moving Target Scanning and Tracking
Searching and Tracking On-The-Sea Target
Meteorology Mode
Missile Guidance & Multi-target Attack
Multimode alteration etc.

Main Feature
Long detect range
Multi-target
High precision

So the radar in question is an AESA airborne fire-control radar, as can be seen in the heading of the product-introductory monitor screen- and is a 'technology upgrade and jump in generation' of the existing radar on the current batch of JF-17s in service while being comparable to the F-35's radar(as stated by the product introductory monitor screen)

FJ - 17 radar is comparable to the F-35s?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:23pm On Oct 31, 2016
Henry240:

Off course we do.

Currently, all TRACON sites namely: Lagos, Kano, Abuja,
Port Harcourt, Maiduguri, Ilorin, Talata-Mafara, Obubra
and Numan have been successfully deployed and are
fully operational.
if your guard raises the alarm when thieves are inside your house,while when they were breaking your gate and doors he was asleep.what would you do to him?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by lionel4power(m): 6:24pm On Oct 31, 2016
upko1:

Radios
Ambulance
Hospitals
Troop transports
MRE
Training
Gears

Wake up.
It baffles me how self acclaimed military tech experts undermine the value of an AEW&C

*an AEW&C CAN extend the radar range of ground based local radars.

* it can be use for secure communications

*it can be used to bounce signal from one point to another thereby extending comms range.

* it can be used to gather intel from neighboring countries

* its A CRUCIAL ASSET IN THE FIGHT AGAINST PIRATES

* IT CAN COORDINATE SEARCH AND RESCUE

* It CAN ORGANIZE (ANY) AIRBORNE OPERATIONS

*It has IFF to interrogate any rogue flight

*most comes with ELECTRONIC SUPPORT MEASURE SUITE THAT MEANS IT CAN SUPPORT JAMMING.

*it has inherent datalink

* it can extend the reach of secure comms by signal bouncing

* it has ELINT/ECM INBUILT AUTOMATICALLY

* IT HAS GROUND SURVEILLANCE MODE

* IT HAS SEA MODE FOR DETECTING SHIPS

ITS A MULTI MISSION PLATFORM IN ALL SENSE OF THE WORD.

JUST TWO WILL BOOST THE NIGERIAN MILITARY CAPABILITY 10 FOLD.

SINCR ITS MODULAR WE CAM EASILY INTEGRATE IT WITH OUR ATRs

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 6:26pm On Oct 31, 2016
ActivateKruger:

FJ - 17 radar is comparable to the F-35s?
LOL I posted what I saw grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 6:41pm On Oct 31, 2016
africaken254:
if your guard raises the alarm when thieves are inside your house,while when they were breaking your gate and doors he was asleep.what would you do to him?

Sorry the news you posted, when did that happen?
I'm sure something has been done .
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Patchesagain: 6:43pm On Oct 31, 2016
lionel4power:
It baffles me how self acclaimed military tech experts undermine the value of an AEW&C

*an AEW&C CAN extend the radar range of ground based local radars.

* it can be use for secure communications

*it can be used to bounce signal from one point to another thereby extending comms range.

* it can be used to gather intel from neighboring countries

* its A CRUCIAL ASSET IN THE FIGHT AGAINST PIRATES

* IT CAN COORDINATE SEARCH AND RESCUE

* It CAN ORGANIZE (ANY) AIRBORNE OPERATIONS

*It has IFF to interrogate any rogue flight

*most comes with ELECTRONIC SUPPORT MEASURE SUITE THAT MEANS IT CAN SUPPORT JAMMING.

*it has inherent datalink

* it can extend the reach of secure comms by signal bouncing

* it has ELINT/ECM INBUILT AUTOMATICALLY

* IT HAS GROUND SURVEILLANCE MODE

* IT HAS SEA MODE FOR DETECTING SHIPS

ITS A MULTI MISSION PLATFORM IN ALL SENSE OF THE WORD.

JUST TWO WILL BOOST THE NIGERIAN MILITARY CAPABILITY 10 FOLD.

SINCR ITS MODULAR WE CAM EASILY INTEGRATE IT WITH OUR ATRs

Yeah, I'm sure the guys on the ground, armed with old AKs, body armour without MOLLE, limited ambulances, limited comms, soft skinned vehicles etc etc would be thrilled with the air forces new toy

Nigeria has some very well equipped units, but until the whole army is equipped to the standards of [that mobile task force with the REVA+T72+new gear] then spending on such a platform would be frivolous

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 6:49pm On Oct 31, 2016
tdayof:
LOL I posted what I saw grin

Maybe the Chinese hacked Northrop Grumman, stole their radar and threw it in their budget jet to appease the Pakistanis who of course paid premium moola for the bragging rights grin
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:55pm On Oct 31, 2016
Patchesagain:

Yeah, I'm sure the guys on the ground, armed with old AKs, body armour without MOLLE, limited ambulances, limited comms, soft skinned vehicles etc etc would be thrilled with the air forces new toy

Nigeria has some very well equipped units, but until the whole army is equipped to the standards of [that mobile task force with the REVA+T72+new gear] then spending on such a platform would be frivolous

what your telling us is nigeria can't acquire this plane costing $80 million and with a operating cost of $2,000 per hour

3 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 6:59pm On Oct 31, 2016
www.nairaland.com/3220297/technical-discussions-international-military-equipments

Okay guys, i believe we've had a fruitful discussion and have learnt a thing or two or more. We can now go back to posting ON-TOPIC. A little stretchs here and there and a post back on topic.

Cc:

Henry240

Tdayof

Africaken254

ActivateKruger

Patchesagain

lionel4power

upko1

Iblawi1

IbnSultaan

Please post on topic, or we use the technical discussion thread. Thanks always for your cooperation.

(1) (2) (3) ... (727) (728) (729) (730) (731) (732) (733) ... (2849) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.