Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,179 members, 7,821,988 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:54 PM

African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread - Foreign Affairs (981) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread (5975854 Views)

African Militaries Strictly Discussions Thread. / African Militaries - Discussed And Dissected / What Countries Have The Weakest Militaries In Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (978) (979) (980) (981) (982) (983) (984) ... (2843) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by darknetcom: 5:14am On Feb 22, 2017
jln115:

Im with @Henry240 on this one.....Those Jaguars are nothing more than scrape metal, it would literally cost more to get them operational than it would to buy a brand new F7!

What Nigeria need now are dedicated COIN aircraft like the Tucano......although i would much prefer NAF striking a deal with Paramount for the Mwari!!

okay..i dont understand this things anyways...

is it true that you need 25000dallars to operate them for only 1hour....

thats crazy...
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by darknetcom: 5:21am On Feb 22, 2017
Hrmnn:

I'm not as well informed on the Jaguar as some of the other aircraft enthusiasts on this forum, but I'd like to point out that the only reason Iran could keep its Western aircraft airworthy was because it purchases the (predominantly US made) parts for them on the black market at exorbitant prices. Some countries that are retiring old US aircraft probably allow their remaining inventories of spares to be sold to Iran through back channels.

I once read an interesting book about the Iran-Iraq War in which it mentioned the Iranian military has always had to spent several times the normal market price on spare parts for everything due to sanctions.

You can only cannibalise so many parts before you run out, indigenous manufacturing is impossible without the blueprints or the right tooling equipment, and black market parts are also quite expensive. Iran only did the latter because it had no choice. With the amount of money it spent on keeping those old aircraft operational, it could have purchased more brand new aircraft that were far superior.

hmmmm... undecided...
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by darknetcom: 5:29am On Feb 22, 2017
but its better to dont scrape the jaguars...

just try to maintain down on low cost..

you can never know when those socalled superpowers attack us in the future because we pissed them off they way they did with ghadaffi...

we will not have time to purchase whatever...

atleast we would have enough jets protecting our airspace..

loosing air supremacy today is a desaster for ground forces...
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 5:46am On Feb 22, 2017
darknetcom:

you can never know when those socalled superpowers attack us in the future because we pissed them off they way they did with ghadaffi...

i don't know why but I find you to be hilarious.

4 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by darknetcom: 5:50am On Feb 22, 2017
tdayof:

i don't know why but I find you to be hilarious.

grin..
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 6:48am On Feb 22, 2017
tdayof:
Do your assignments well. Air tractor won't get to Nigeria. The super Tucano is the best we can get knowing fully Nigeria also signed a MOU on UAV production with a Brazilian company then the reason for going for the Tucano is obvious.
To me the Air tractor is a flying coffi...n doesn't even have ejection seats.

I'd rather acquire more attack or gunship helicopters.

5 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 7:10am On Feb 22, 2017
It was probable picked because it is cheap.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:23am On Feb 22, 2017
Hrmnn:

I'm not as well informed on the Jaguar as some of the other aircraft enthusiasts on this forum, but I'd like to point out that the only reason Iran could keep its Western aircraft airworthy was because it purchases the (predominantly US made) parts for them on the black market at exorbitant prices. Some countries that are retiring old US aircraft probably allow their remaining inventories of spares to be sold to Iran through back channels.

I once read an interesting book about the Iran-Iraq War in which it mentioned the Iranian military has always had to spent several times the normal market price on spare parts for everything due to sanctions.

You can only cannibalise so many parts before you run out, indigenous manufacturing is impossible without the blueprints or the right tooling equipment, and black market parts are also quite expensive. Iran only did the latter because it had no choice. With the amount of money it spent on keeping those old aircraft operational, it could have purchased more brand new aircraft that were far superior.
during the iran/iraq war the main concern of iranian islamic regime was finding ammo and pilots,who could fly those jet.considering that most pilot were jailed due to suspicion of close links with the previous regime and some had even fled.with recent defence reports from iran,show they have being able to indigenously manufacture most part they would require to fly their western jets.to show how of good quality western aircraft have,during the iran/iraq war iran bought copies of mig-21 from china but they ground due quality standard while america made aircraft were still dogfight with iraq airforce jets

qaddafi was santioned by the west for more than a decade,but still today libya Mirage F1ED jet, Chinook Helicopters are still airworthy and being used by libya nation army in the on going conflict in libya

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:28am On Feb 22, 2017
MikeCZA:

because AH-64 Apache has an ejection seats and what the difference between attack and gunship helicopter you were so enlighten to quote !?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by ActivateKruger: 7:28am On Feb 22, 2017
jakeporeshenko:
Angolan Aw-109
Lovely pattern

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:38am On Feb 22, 2017
Odunayaw:
same with me Jock
I would love d success of the Mwari

The problem i have with the Mwari is, it is a brand new platform which hasn't been tested in combat. We don't have that luxury to be a test bed for a new platform. In every development cycle of a new asset, problems are bound to arise. What we need is an airplane that has proven record of combat delivery. Records available show that in a LICW or COIN threat environment the Tucano has been more effective than fast jets, that thing can loiter for 8 hours, more than many attack helicopters.

With the Mwari, we can get co-production rights which is a good thing down the line, but we cannot be a test bed.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:39am On Feb 22, 2017
east africa Counter-IED Staff Officers Awareness course. Final presentations & "in the field" scenarios

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 7:47am On Feb 22, 2017
Odunayaw:
while u r at it Steve, u mind telling any aircraft better than the super tucano in d market?
for the light attack role?
1. Yak 130 15 million dollar per unit (operational in African Militaries
2. L-8 10 million dollar per unit(operational in African Militaries)
3.L-15 14.6 million dollar per unit(operational in African Militaries)

all these options are available and they all have comparably low cost flight hour, but we are going for this
4. EMB Super Tucano unit cost 9-14 million dollars
and we have been going for it for some years now and we are not getting it and yet we are not looking elsewhere.

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:48am On Feb 22, 2017
jln115:

Im with @Henry240 on this one.....Those Jaguars are nothing more than scrape metal, it would literally cost more to get them operational than it would to buy a brand new F7!

What Nigeria need now are dedicated COIN aircraft like the Tucano......although i would much prefer NAF striking a deal with Paramount for the Mwari!!

The Jaguar is no good. The obsession with the Jaguar comes from constant articles written by beegeagle's blog. Even then, the planes were no good. We have moved on from the Jaguars with the purchase of 15 units of F-7NI and the recent order of 3 x JF-17. It was a scrap metal in the early 2000's, it is a scrap metal today, the Jaguar.

We are getting COIN aircraft, we are getting attack helicopters, medium transport planes and helicopters, light utility helicopters, Drones, everything.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 7:50am On Feb 22, 2017
africaken254:
because AH-64 Apache has an ejection seats and what the difference between attack and gunship helicopter you were so enlighten to quote !?
Nope.

The Air tractor doesn't have ejection seats like others I it's class.

Should have said dedicated attacked helicopter.

Utility helicopters mounted with weapons to attack ground targets like the Oryx gunship.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by tdayof(m): 7:50am On Feb 22, 2017
MikeCZA:

Someone is coming for you.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 7:55am On Feb 22, 2017
MikeCZA:
Nope.

The Air tractor doesn't have ejection seats like others I it's class.

Should have said dedicated attacked helicopter.

Utility helicopters mounted with weapons to attack ground targets like the Oryx gunship.
so they should install ejection seats to suit your class !?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 7:56am On Feb 22, 2017
tdayof:
Do your assignments well. Air tractor won't get to Nigeria. The super Tucano is the best we can get knowing fully Nigeria also signed a MOU on UAV production with a Brazilian company then the reason for going for the Tucano is obvious.
No Sir, it is not obvious. different deals, different reasons. stop adding up unrelated facts together in your bedroom. next you will tell us the Daughter of a Nigerian Politician got married to a Brazilian and that is an obvious reason why we are buying tucanos. and by the way an MOU is not a sealed deal.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 7:58am On Feb 22, 2017
africaken254:
no but like all milltary helcopters you stand a better chance of surviving a crash in a AH64 than a light air craft. By the way why pic a insanly costly AH64

Gunship and attack are the same thing really
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by MikeCZA: 8:02am On Feb 22, 2017
africaken254:
Conclusion: There are better aircraft in it's class.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:06am On Feb 22, 2017
andrewza:
no but like all milltary helcopters you stand a better chance of surviving a crash in a AH64 than a light air craft. By the way why pic a insanly costly AH64

Gunship and attack are the same thing really
because helicopters are designed to crush but not what you call light aircraft !? do you even the gross empty weight with armour and without weapons of an AU-802 ISR(attack aircraft) !?

1 Like

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by overhypedsteve(m): 8:09am On Feb 22, 2017
africaken254:
no dude, to save lives
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:13am On Feb 22, 2017
MikeCZA:
Conclusion: There are better aircraft in it's class.
better than what,stop being arrogant and condescending.it doesn't suit you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFWEaNJxnW4
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:17am On Feb 22, 2017
overhypedsteve:
i know what you are talking about. like i said earlier " poorer nations have fought wars with better assets" how can you even put the words cost effective together and use them to describe an aircraft that we have been trying to procure for years without success(even at the high point of the insurgency when we needed them urgently, costing us our pride in the international scene, whereby because of this said Aircraft our Armed forces have been described as unprofessional, human right abusers. fielding the Aircraft might be cost effective but procuring one has cost us a lot as a sovereign state in terms of National pride.

Let me respond to this. I'll like to stay on topic and not talk about politics.

We flew 6777 hours of combat sorties in the first 10 months of 2016. Costing us billions in Naira. We could probably have flown more if we had an aircraft like the Tucano. The A-29 doesn't need you or i or anybody here to like it. It is a necessity, we need to be able to do more for less, taken into account our current threat environment.

This is not to say we don't need more modern 4 GEN fighters, we do and that is why we have an initial order for 3 x JF-17. This number is expected to rise to 18 at the very least.

We have been trying to procure the Tucano since 2014 without success, however we are talking about an aircraft which has the best combat record in a LICW environment. We would also get good financing from the US if we are to eventually get it from them. Until then, we have ordered 3 x Super-Tucanos from Brazil and could still get 3 x more while we wait for the US deal.

I'm confident we would not have problems with the Tucano because, if the US decides to slap us a sanction on the Turboprop we would simply fabricate the parts we need, no problem. We've done this with the 4 x Alpha Jets we procured from the US, we've weaponised 2 x MI-17 complete with FLIR, we have done this with both our MI-24 and MI-35 attack helicopters. If it is Avionics, we would build Avionics, we have done this with some of our Air Bettles, which the NAF turned into UAVs. We can also buy civilian parts for the Turboprop, or we go to Embrear in Brazil.

No issues.

We have set into motion our Military Industrial Complex, a significant amount of the equipment used to prosecute our Insurgency is locally made. We have put back into service 178 units of armour. The Nigeria of today is not the same Nigeria we had in the 80s.

So, I'm confident. We should endeavour to purchase the Super Tucano.

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:26am On Feb 22, 2017
overhypedsteve:
no dude, to save lives
so we should stop using helicopters !?
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:27am On Feb 22, 2017
darknetcom:

Those jets are not flying............ever!!!!
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:47am On Feb 22, 2017
Tunisian G.F.S , Army SF

2 Likes

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by andrewza: 8:48am On Feb 22, 2017
africaken254:
because helicopters are designed to crush but not what you call light aircraft !? do you even the gross empty weight with armour and without weapons of an AU-802 ISR(attack aircraft) !?

Yes helcopters are built to crash. Firstly it is easier to do a emergency landing in a helcopter. Second they have shock absorbing seats. It not about weight or armour it all about the seats.

So easier to do a emergency landing and better seats.
Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:53am On Feb 22, 2017
Oldies. Mil Mi-4 Hound exposed in a airbase , Algerian air force ( in service 1962)

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:55am On Feb 22, 2017
Meko A200 AN algerian Navy

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 8:58am On Feb 22, 2017
Tunisian Army

Re: African Militaries/ Security Services Strictly Photos Only And Videos Thread by Nobody: 9:00am On Feb 22, 2017
andrewza:

Yes helcopters are built to crash. Firstly it is easier to do a emergency landing in a helcopter. Second they have shock absorbing seats. It not about weight or armour it all about the seats.

So easier to do a emergency landing and better seats.
so you want to tell us rotary aircrafts are designed by aliens but fixed wing aircraft are designed by aircraft engineers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kx5YeqTBcDI

(1) (2) (3) ... (978) (979) (980) (981) (982) (983) (984) ... (2843) (Reply)

Kenya Is Ahead of Nigeria In All Aspect (Facts Don't Lie)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.