Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,125 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:44 PM

Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It (1946 Views)

History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization / Ethiopia-the Birth Of Nations-the Origin Of The Green, Yellow And Red Flag! / Black African Nobility Of Ancient Europe (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by CyyRil: 5:19pm On Aug 07, 2013

1 Like

Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by Nobody: 4:26pm On Aug 08, 2013
i havent watched the video yet bro. But I will.

I know that some early west african tribes used writing systems similar to heiroglyphs of ancient egypt (symbolism).

And I also like how ethiopians have still their own writing system unique to them. Thats pretty tight. cool
Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by somalia11: 5:12pm On Aug 08, 2013
*Kails*:

I know that some early west african tribes used writing systems similar to heiroglyphs of ancient egypt (symbolism).

And I also like how ethiopians have still their own writing system unique to them. Thats pretty tight. cool

its just amahari that have the writing system you are refering to, others have different systems and some don't or use arabic like the somalis before somalis started to use latin.

tongue
Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by ezeagu(m): 9:13pm On Aug 08, 2013
*Kails*:

It's easy to think Egyptian writing is 'symbolism', but its actually writing which can be used to write utterances.
Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by Nobody: 10:10pm On Aug 08, 2013
somalia11:

its just amahari that have the writing system you are refering to, others have different systems and some don't or use arabic like the somalis before somalis started to use latin.

tongue

true that.
i should have been specific.

i also know somalis had their own writing system
why did you guys switch?
Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by Nobody: 10:11pm On Aug 08, 2013
ezeagu:

It's easy to think Egyptian writing is 'symbolism', but its actually writing which can be used to write utterances.

i know dear. smiley
what about igbo people?

do you guys have your own writing system/s? smiley

*i still haven't watched the video yet*
Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by somalia11: 2:51am On Aug 09, 2013
*Kails*:

true that.

why did you guys switch?

it wasnt practiced by everyone, some used arabic , so in 1970 we picked a language that was easier and could also be easily used, latin, with some changes in certain letters.

every keyboard has latin letters. every amaharis use latin letters , when they wrote online
Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 09, 2013
somalia11:

it wasnt practiced by everyone, some used arabic , so in 1970 we picked a language that was easier and could also be easily used, latin, with some changes in certain letters.

every keyboard has latin letters. every amaharis use latin letters , when they wrote online

Ahhhh ok I see. smiley
Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by somalia11: 3:45pm On Aug 09, 2013
*Kails*:

Ahhhh ok I see. smiley

found out miss somalia, won miss africa in utah this week, as you know the ethiopian came in second place undecided, every where we go, ethiopians want to know, where we go, so we tell them just follow us little short midget. grin

Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by Nobody: 5:10pm On Aug 09, 2013
somalia11:

found out miss somalia, won miss africa in utah this week, as you know the ethiopian came in second place undecided, every where we go, ethiopians want to know, where we go, so we tell them just follow us little short midget. grin

She deserved the title.
She's a cutie smiley

And quit hating on ethiopians lol
some somalis are short too. tongue
Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by somalia11: 5:12pm On Aug 09, 2013
*Kails*:

She deserved the title.
She's a cutie smiley

And quit hating on ethiopians lol
some somalis are short too. tongue

those mixed with ethiopians, never saw a grown somali man under 5' 11

yeah shes cute,

Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by somalia11: 5:16pm On Aug 09, 2013
what do you think of this girl pretending to be somali in a miss africa pageant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Iet7P7x0mE
Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by Nobody: 5:26pm On Aug 09, 2013
Lol one somali babe I had a conversation with was short.
I could see over her head and I am sure she and I are the same age. But you have a point tho because the other somalis I have met were mad tall..

Anyway, how do you know this jasmine girl is not half somali? That might be why she decided to rep somalia.
Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by somalia11: 5:27pm On Aug 09, 2013
*Kails*:
Lol one somali babe I had a conversation with was short.
I could see over her head and I am sure she and I are the same age. But you have a point tho because the other somalis I have met were mad tall..

Anyway, how do you know this jasmine girl is not half somali? That might be why she decided to rep somalia.

i dont know if shes half somali, but she look like she is black, dont know any somalis that age that are half black, she looks like a light skin black. and her accent is black too.

she knows little about somalia, i feel like she went in to rep a country so she could win. but that was in 2011, the real somali girl won in 2013.
Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by ezeagu(m): 6:50pm On Aug 09, 2013
*Kails*:

true that.

why did you guys switch?

Igbo people as a whole didn't have writing, but there is one known as a proto-writing system known as nsibidi and was used by eastern Igbo groups and over into western Cameroon. There were some other interesting symbolic signs that showed potential as writing but none as developed as nsibidi.
Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by Nobody: 7:48pm On Aug 09, 2013
somalia11:

i dont know if shes half somali, but she look like she is black, dont know any somalis that age that are half black, she looks like a light skin black. and her accent is black too.

she knows little about somalia, i feel like she went in to rep a country so she could win. but that was in 2011, the real somali girl won in 2013.

Lol @ the subliminal messages in this response.

ezeagu:

Igbo people as a whole didn't have writing, but there is one known as a proto-writing system known as nsibidi and was used by eastern Igbo groups and over into western Cameroon. There were some other interesting symbolic signs that showed potential as writing but none as developed as nsibidi.

Oh ok I see.
I see I need to do more research about nsibidi. smiley
Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 09, 2013
You guys should look up the Bassa script..
Re: Ancient Alphabets From Nigeria, Ghana, Ethiopia, You Name It by Nobody: 4:23pm On Aug 10, 2013
could you educate us and post some info about it?

(1) (Reply)

Echane Festival In Okene Local Govt Area Of Kogi State Begin Monday 22nd May 27 / Name 10 Traditional Rulers In Nigeria(quiz) / Ipara Fun Egungun /awoka & Arariro

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.