Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,931 members, 7,810,593 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 11:46 AM

Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria (4004 Views)

Fashola Destroys Slums In Lagos, Leaving Thousands Homeless / Anambra Is The Brain Box Of Nigeria-jonathan / Picture Of Slums In The Usa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:29pm On Aug 07, 2013
i strongly suspect that anambra state is the state with the least number of slums in nigeria. i cannot think of any city in anambra that has batcher, or wood houses, or zinc shacks as living houses. almost all houses are block/contrecte houses with zinc roofs, instead of thatches. even onitsha has almost phased out all those types of houses. nnewi and awka has since phased out thatch roofs.
which makes me to start marveling at the pace of development in anambra state.

please lets do a slum-quest or slum contest here by posting pictures of slums in nigerian cities/towns
maybe we can shame some of our governors for not achieving much.

the contest is open! grin
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:50pm On Aug 07, 2013
i'm assembling my slum archives now
i will unleash them later. grin
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:58pm On Aug 07, 2013
to make the contest relevant and fair, pictures should be current or recent, preferably taken with camera phones or such.
we should not post old pictures.
validity of pictures can also be challenged or contested.
the only aim here is to show the current state of nigerian cities as far as slums are concerned.
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by mrking3(m): 10:09pm On Aug 07, 2013
See †ђξ side effect of ASUU Strike ? Smh!! Taking pictures of slums in all †ђξ 36 states of Nigeria? Lols!!! Beside, your conclusion about Anambra state is baseless!! Hasty! And falacy without emperical evidence!! Some of you just wake up and post whatever you like on Nairaland coz its Free of Charge!

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:13pm On Aug 07, 2013
mr_king: See †ђξ side effect of ASUU Strike ? Smh!! Taking pictures of slums in all †ђξ 36 states of Nigeria? Lols!!! Beside, your conclusion about Anambra state is baseless!! Hasty! And falacy without emperical evidence!! Some of you just wake up and post whatever you like on Nairaland coz its Free of Charge!

..and the pictures
this thread is about pictures, not talks please
and no bad blood
this is about unmasking our governors, not anything else
thanks for understanding and keeping this thread impersonal

current pictures of slums in nigeria please!
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by warrior01: 10:16pm On Aug 07, 2013
mr_king: See †ђξ side effect of ASUU Strike ? Smh!! Taking pictures of slums in all †ђξ 36 states of Nigeria? Lols!!! Beside, your conclusion about Anambra state is baseless!! Hasty! And falacy without emperical evidence!! Some of you just wake up and post whatever you like on Nairaland coz its Free of Charge!
How is it baseless? Have you been/ toured Anambra State before? If you know of any well known slum in Anambra why can't you list/show us here rather than attacking the Op
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by FreeGlobe(f): 10:21pm On Aug 07, 2013
op is very correct, Port Harcourt takes the cake for me. As developed as port harcourt is said to be, you still find slums inside the heart of the city (rumuomasi). Its a pity. of course this is not forgetting the single biggest slum in the world - Fashola's Lagos
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by kcjazz(m): 10:26pm On Aug 07, 2013
Another I get am pass my neighbor argument. Slums reflect overcrowding so if by your claim Anambra has none then it shows slow population growth.
Meaning: Most Anambarians are outside Anambra maybe Lagos. tongue(lol kill me now)

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:28pm On Aug 07, 2013
i saw this picture where peter obi was supervising slum clearance in onitsha

Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by warrior01: 10:36pm On Aug 07, 2013
re@lchange:

Good
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by CyberG: 10:48pm On Aug 07, 2013
re@lchange:

Leave the slums alone, worry about the GDP that is one of the lowest across the country especially for the most hardworking and richest people in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:55pm On Aug 07, 2013
CyberG:

Leave the slums alone, worry about the GDP that is one of the lowest across the country especially for the most hardworking and richest people in Nigeria.

no we will hunt the slums down because it kills people faster than lower GDPs
it goes to health, personal income, security, jobs, safety, fire hazards etc
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by CyberG: 11:03pm On Aug 07, 2013
Yes, hunt them down! I hope one of them nabs you in your Anambra and make you pay inside your okija forest! grin grin Like that head that was found recently in your village!
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 11:12pm On Aug 07, 2013
This thread is of no use because all Nigerian urban are slum. Maybe in reality apart from Lagos, Anambra probably has the least number of thatched houses but as for slum, I believe Ebonyi could win that. Ebonyi has the least slum in the Southeast because it is the most rural.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by Nobody: 11:28pm On Aug 07, 2013
Abagworo: This thread is of no use because all Nigerian urban are slum. Maybe in reality apart from Lagos, Anambra probably has the least number of thatched houses but as for slum, I believe Ebonyi could win that. Ebonyi has the least slum in the Southeast because it is the most rural.

in africa, slums don't really mean the same thing as in western world
here in africa we look for things like zinc houses,wooden houses, thatched roof and mud houses.
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by MrExcel1: 12:10am On Aug 08, 2013
CyberG:

What's the use of GDP if it cannot be translated into WEALTH? China has almost half of US GDP, but American per capital is almost 8x bigger than China, what does that tell you? There's more disposable income in America than China, or an average American is wealthier than an Average Chinese despite American debt. However, Qatar & Luxemburg have almost twice the GDP per capita of America despite America being the nation with the largest economy, what does that tell you? Even the smallest nation has the highest spending power on average that larger nations. Again, GDP has to translate into wealth for it to make sense.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 12:16am On Aug 08, 2013
re@lchange:

in africa, slums don't really mean the same thing as in western world
here in africa we look for things like zinc houses,wooden houses, thatched roof and mud houses.

A slum is a densely populated urban area with low standard of living. The quality of housing varies while the water supply, electricity and roads are not up to standard.

Maybe you should change the topic to the State with the least number of thatched houses. Apart from Ebonyi State, other Southeast States have minimal thatched houses but we build a kind of unplanned 3-4 storey buildings that give our cities the slum look. Those buildings are without lift, water supply and electricity. The streets are not well paved and lack walkways, green areas and sports/recreational facilities. In the Southwest most roofs are rusty and settlement pattern usually in compounds instead of avenues, streets, highways and crescents. No walkways, no green areas and recreational facilities, no power supply, no public water.

It is same everywhere in Nigeria. So we should vote for a party that should reverse that trend gradually and not those interested in their pocket. PDP has tried for 14years and still no power, no water, no refinery, no security, no roads and we all still live in slums.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by Nobody: 7:21am On Aug 08, 2013
re@lchange:
i'm assembling my slum archives now
i will unleash them later. grin
abeg, no Do am embarassed
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by omenka(m): 7:54am On Aug 08, 2013
Another recipe for ethnic bashing. The mods should close or delete this thread.
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by goodslayer: 8:15am On Aug 08, 2013
nice try bro, same onitsha with shyteholes like opoko, woliwo, akunnie and other sub human environs.

What of mud house abeg go interior of amawbia and achalla and stop this your misinformation.
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by kel4soft: 9:52am On Aug 08, 2013
FreeGlobe: op is very correct, Port Harcourt takes the cake for me. As developed as port harcourt is said to be, you still find slums inside the heart of the city (rumuomasi). Its a pity. of course this is not forgetting the single biggest slum in the world - Fashola's Lagos
When Amaechi wanted to destroy Bundu waterside, the biggest slum aside demolished rainbow. What did he get? Haters of Ijaw. The truth is that PH used to rank as number 1, but since Amaechi destroyed Rainbow, Elechi, Abonema wharf and other shanties. Only Bundu is left, but i know one day, another govt will do that. You can only find batcher in undeveloped land in PH
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by oneeast: 10:25am On Aug 08, 2013
Abagworo:

It is same everywhere in Nigeria. So we should vote for a party that should reverse that trend gradually and not those interested in their pocket. PDP has tried for 14years and still no power, no water, no refinery, no security, no roads and we all still live in slums.

Are you seeking for a way to smuggle in your ofemmanuu and aboki party? Its not gonna happen. Even the clown rochas will be shocked as to how imo state people will throw him away with bath water. As for SE its PDP and APGA zone and we are far better for it. If you do not like PDP and APGA, quickly relocate to the rural states of oyo, ekiti, ogon where you will see the real under development. By the time you sleep in a mud house and wake up in gutter filled with sh1ts packed inside nylon bags you will know better. That is yuruba and their APC for you.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by kel4soft: 4:00pm On Aug 08, 2013
one.east:

Are you seeking for a way to smuggle in your ofemmanuu and aboki party? Its not gonna happen. Even the clown rochas will be shocked as to how imo state people will throw him away with bath water. As for SE its PDP and APGA zone and we are far better for it. If you do not like PDP and APGA, quickly relocate to the rural states of oyo, ekiti, ogon where you will see the real under development. By the time you sleep in a mud house and wake up in gutter filled with sh1ts packed inside nylon bags you will know better. That is yuruba and their APC for you.
Ekiti > Ebonyi, Ogun > Abia, Oyo > Anambra, Lagos > Enugu.
Discuss!
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by MaximusDMeridux: 6:23pm On Aug 08, 2013
This is Onitsha! Onitsha is the worst single place to be in Nigeria where you will be hearing gunshots in broad daylight! Petty traders literally drag you off the streets or bike to come and buy something or enter their bus, etc. Now @OP, except their are no slums in your state, then have you even any moral rights to question other states in Nigeria. At least, they don't go boasting they are the most hardworking state in Nigeria. Jesus said until they Pharisees, Woe unto the pharisees... (You are a pharisee!)

Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by mrlovefield: 6:59pm On Aug 16, 2013
anambra has lowest slum area in nigeria, city like nnewi and awka has no single slum area
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 16, 2013
some people here are posting old pictures and making noise.
they have failed to prove me wrong
anambra state as a whole is arguably the most evenly developed state in nigeria
i can't think of any parts of anambra that still have mud houses, batcher, thatch roofs
even brown zincs are gradually fading away
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by Chino48: 11:04pm On Aug 16, 2013
MaximusDMeridux: This is Onitsha! Onitsha is the worst single place to be in Nigeria where you will be hearing gunshots in broad daylight! Petty traders literally drag you off the streets or bike to come and buy something or enter their bus, etc. Now @OP, except their are no slums in your state, then have you even any moral rights to question other states in Nigeria. At least, they don't go boasting they are the most hardworking state in Nigeria. Jesus said until they Pharisees, Woe unto the pharisees... (You are a pharisee!)

These pictures are as old as 10-15yrs old. All these places has been cleaned up, upgraded and given face lift. The entire city of Onitsha is presently a beauty to behold.
Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by Abagworo(m): 11:33pm On Aug 16, 2013
re@lchange:
some people here are posting old pictures and making noise.
they have failed to prove me wrong
anambra state as a whole is arguably the most evenly developed state in nigeria
i can't think of any parts of anambra that still have mud houses, batcher, thatch roofs
even brown zincs are gradually fading away

You seem to have failed to comprehend the meaning of slum. Onitsha is a slum. Alas so is 90% of Nigeria. Maybe Central Abuja and Lagos Island are the only large settlements that are not slum in Nigeria. Kubwa is a slum. Gwagwalada is a slum. Ikeja is a slum. Aba is a slum. Port Harcourt is a slum. No running tap water, 4 storey buildings without water and lift, Poor sanitation, No power supply. Open drainage in majority of roads etc.

Villages or rural areas have less tendency to be slum or ghetto.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Slum Contest: Anambra Is The State With The Least Slums In Nigeria by Decent09(m): 10:49am On Nov 22, 2022

Where Peter Obi supporters is sending Non indigene to their State of Origin.

He even sent the same messages to Governor Fashola to do same to Igbos in Lagos state.

(1) (Reply)

EFCC Arrests 25 Prominent Nigerians Over $2billion Arms Purchase Scandal / BurataiGate:Buratai's N700K Earning Buys What American Governor Can't Afford / When Will Ijaw Youths Realize That Oil Isn't The Only Thing In Life?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.