Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,125 members, 7,811,167 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:38 AM

Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms (20856 Views)

Skye Bank Wins Bid To Acquire Mainstreet Bank For N120bn / Four Tricks For Sticking To Your Financial Resolutions / How To Verify Your Credit Card For Internet Banking And Online Transaction. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by laplace19(m): 6:39pm On Aug 11, 2013
@OP. Please keep us updated with this. This case is really interesting,and only a technical and intellectual lawyer can win this case.... laughing joor grin grin
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by francisbiz: 6:44pm On Aug 11, 2013
sorry, for posting wrongly.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Cmoyor: 6:45pm On Aug 11, 2013
There was an offer by d bank and a counter-offer by d man. The counter-offer destroys the initial offer nd stands as a new offer. The bank accepted the new offer unconditionally and d contract is binding on dem.The bank has a slim chance of winning the case

2 Likes

Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by ZN2: 6:46pm On Aug 11, 2013
francisbiz: It's a very tricky a one, not going to be a straight case. The case is going to drag afar, involving the best of it proof and counter proof.
1, The bank must proof beyond doubt that the credit card was tampered with and that the card could indeed be tampered with.
2, The producers of the credit card for the bank are going to face an uphill task to prove that the impute in the card was re-written and would also face serious business risk by admitting publicly that there version of credit card can be so easily manipulated .
3, The bank customer can deny that he did not tamper with the card impute, after-all their were no witnesses. But his background must be dug into and they may find out that he could be a trained IT expert and majored in software hacking. If similar activities could be traced to him, then he ma go in for it.
The property owners may have a back-up prototype of the credit card.
[b]THIS CASE WILL BRING OUT THE BEST OF I.T. BRAIN STORMING![/b]

What are you yammering about?

Who said anything about the plastic card? Did you even read the darned article?
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by ZN2: 6:59pm On Aug 11, 2013
HARDDON:

who is really at fault?

shouldnt the bank have re read the docs b4 signing just to be sure?

his argument would be that he made adjustments and forwarded it to the bank for consideration, which they did concur to.

hook on the neck .cant cough it out, cant swallow it.hehehe

I presume there was some other phrase added to the fine print: "This document may not be altered by anyone but the Bank and any alteration not authorized by the Bank constitutes fraud."

If he had made the corrections visible or something with a note drawing their attention to the changes, he would probably be on solid ground. But he didn't - he scanned it into a computer and probably made the amendments look typographically like the original.

Anyways, this is quite a tricky one. I'll be following this to the latter. Not to mention, the owners probably have deep pockets and connections - typical russians.

What a fellow. I can imagine a lot of folks won't be doing business with him in future.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Anniettieufia(m): 7:08pm On Aug 11, 2013
That's sweet to read,

But the legal ( judicial) system were really fast in their judgements ,

if it were to be here, my people ,
No body will even hear of anything not until after 10 or 20 years, by then, the judge and the Bank manager are retired.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Nobody: 7:20pm On Aug 11, 2013
Would not get a chance if it was in our dear country.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by phemmisky(m): 7:21pm On Aug 11, 2013
1)The bank made an offer,and with the man drawing another agreement,amount to a counter offer(otherwise new offer)therefore the man shud expect the bank to agree to his terms and send it back to him for his approval as well just like the initial procedure before the counter offer
2)There will be element of fraud in Tinkov's action if found out that he didn't highlight the altered part of the agreement to make it visible to the bank that it's been altered,
3)Moreso,I think If Tinkov is to make a counter offer, it should be on another LETTER HEAD entirely,and not that of the bank's
Pls,I will welcome counter opinions
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by vivaciousvivi(f): 7:23pm On Aug 11, 2013
coogar: argakov should go to jail for forging a document.....if he tried this in america, he would get at least 300 years in a cold cell surrounded by serial räpists!

Clearly u didn't read d story. Where did it mention that he forged the documents?!
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Mannylex(m): 7:28pm On Aug 11, 2013
Russians, smart peeps... The case in court would be a tricky one. But what is the difference between this guy and companies that put hidden charges? Well I don't see this as fraud. The guy gave a counter contact and the bank signed. They shot themselve in the leg with that.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by coogar: 7:34pm On Aug 11, 2013
vivacious vivi:
Clearly u didn't read d story. Where did it mention that he forged the documents?!

alteration of any document = forgery!
he altered the terms of the contract to suit his greed. that should get him about 10 years in prison for fraud!
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Nobody: 7:40pm On Aug 11, 2013
what a dumba-- undecided
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by coogar: 8:05pm On Aug 11, 2013
Mannylex: Russians, smart peeps... The case in court would be a tricky one. But what is the difference between this guy and companies that put hidden charges? Well I don't see this as fraud. The guy gave a counter contact and the bank signed. They shot themselves in the leg with that.

i dunno how it works in russia but this would put anyone in trouble in the EU or the united states where the banks wield a lot of power.

he should have notified the bank of any amendment and alteration. his intention from the outset was to deception on the strength that the banks will not read the fine lines of the contract.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Nobody: 8:16pm On Aug 11, 2013
Some of ya'all just want to comment to feel good, rather you failed to read and understand that the bank actually read the agreement and accepted his conditions knowingly if not they wouldn't have provided him with an Unlimited Credit Card which was one of his terms in that agreement.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Nobody: 8:19pm On Aug 11, 2013
coogar:

i dunno how it works in russia but this would put anyone in trouble in the EU or the united states where the banks wield a lot of power.

he should have notified the bank of any amendment and alteration. his intention from the outset was to deception on the strength that the banks will not read the fine lines of the contract.

You are so silly, how would the bank have known he wanted an unlimited credit card if they didn't read and understood that he made mention of one in his agreement..? the Bank accepted his agreement and gave him an unlimited credited card willingly after reading his aggreement....there is no case to answer by that man.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Nobody: 8:21pm On Aug 11, 2013
coogar:

alteration of any document = forgery!
he altered the terms of the contract to suit his greed. that should get him about 10 years in prison for fraud!

They bank accepted his conditions, so there is no such thing as forgery in this case
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by TrackCee: 8:22pm On Aug 11, 2013
funny
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by NaLaugh: 8:23pm On Aug 11, 2013
Haha, sounds like something Akpos would do. cool
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by coogar: 8:28pm On Aug 11, 2013
eddiebruk:
You are so silly, how would the bank have known he wanted an unlimited credit card if they didn't read and understood that he made mention of one in his agreement..? the Bank accepted his agreement and gave him an unlimited credited card willingly after reading his aggreement....there is no case to answer by that man.

you are a consummate rëtard....
the no-limit credit card wasn't what was in dispute here but the interest rate, APR, and the other indices. the bank was offering a no-limit card from the outset but this con artist scanned their documents, made alterations on his computer and sent it back on the off-chance that the bank would not bother to read all the fine lines.....

this is an open & shut fraud case - try this in western europe or america and you would spend the best active years of your life in jail. the only reason people are supporting this man is because everyone has been shafted by the bank in the past or they want a "david vs goliath" battle. otherwise, this is a glaring case of fraud. the consumer should have notified the bank of any changes or amendments just like the bank would have done if they are amending any fees/interest rate.

eddiebruk:
They bank accepted his conditions, so there is no such thing as forgery in this case

this is a weak point.....
because a university gave you an admission based on a fake certificate you produced during registration does not bind them to let you graduate even after your forgery is discovered!

yes, the bank should have done their due diligence but this man altered a bank document that was sent to him to sign. that alteration is fraud if he fails to notify the bank he's amended the clauses. why would a bank give out a no-limit credit card with no interest rate? which part of the world can this happen?
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Nobody: 8:31pm On Aug 11, 2013
coogar:

the no-limit credit card wasn't what was in dispute here but the interest rate, APR, and the other indices. the bank was offering a no-limit card from the outset but this con artist scanned their documents, made alterations on his computer and sent it back on the off-chance that the bank would not bother to read all the fine lines.....

this is an open & shut fraud case - try this in western europe or america and you would spend the best active years of your life in jail. the only reason people are supporting this man is because everyone has been shafted by the bank in the past or they want a "david vs goliath" battle. otherwise, this is a glaring case of fraud. the consumer should have notified the bank of any changes or amendments just like the bank would have done if they are amending any fees/interest rate.

tell me how this can be called fraud when there was every proof that the bank read and accepted his terms and conditions be it a no limit credit card or interest rate to suite his needs/demands..? why would anyone accept an agreement they cant keep up with..? it is very clear like 3D that the bank read, understood, and accepted his agreement, so don't call this fraud my friend.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by valdubem(m): 8:32pm On Aug 11, 2013
NO INSULTS PLEASE!
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 11, 2013
coogar:

this is a weak point.....
because a university gave you an admission based on a fake certificate you produced during registration does not bind them to let you graduate even after your forgery is discovered!

yes, the bank should have done their due diligence but this man altered a bank document that was sent to him to sign. that alteration is fraud if he fails to notify the bank he's amended the clauses. why would a bank give out a no-limit credit card with no interest rate? which part of the world can this happen?

I am sure that banks have a way of knowing an Authentic document just as they know how to discover an Authentic Check/Fraudulent check, if a bank cannot spot the Authenticity of their own document then they should employ more professional service or methods to do so, the bank is simply to blame for their lousy mistake.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by coogar: 8:36pm On Aug 11, 2013
eddiebruk:
tell me how this can be called fraud when there was every proof that the bank read and accepted his terms and conditions be it a no limit credit card or interest rate to suite his needs/demands..?

the bank did not read the agreement cos they never thought the agreement they sent out could be altered. the man scanned the bank document - probably still with the letter heading of the bank. this is fraud, simple as ABC!!

why would anyone accept an agreement they cant keep up with..? it is very clear like 3D that the bank read, understood, and accepted his agreement, so don't call this fraud my friend.

they did not....
no bank would give out a no-limit credit card with 0% interest rate. this man can technically buy the whole of banana island with his credit card and not have to pay any interest rate. that's daylight robbery.

eddiebruk:
I am sure that banks have a way of knowing an Authentic document just as they know how to discover an Authentic Check/Fraudulent check, if a bank cannot spot the Authenticity of their own document then they should employ more professional service or methods to do so, the bank is simply to blame for their lousy mistake.

this is an academic point....
what the bank found out or did not find out does not erase the fact that this man altered a bank document.

check the meaning of the word forgery again and get back to me......
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Nobody: 8:38pm On Aug 11, 2013
coogar:

the bank did not read the agreement cos they never thought the agreement they sent out could be altered. the man scanned the bank document - probably still with the letter heading of the bank. this is fraud, simple as ABC!!

they did not....
no bank would give out a no-limit credit card with 0% interest rate. this man can technically buy the whole of banana island with his credit card and not have to pay any interest rate. that's daylight robbery.

How can a bank not spot the Authenticity of their own documents..? did he forge the stamps/seal on his own agreement just to make it look like one of the banks Document...? of course no.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Kgdavid(m): 8:38pm On Aug 11, 2013
~ZN~:

I presume there was some other phrase added to the fine print: "This document may not be altered by anyone but the Bank and any alteration not authorized by the Bank constitutes fraud."

If he had made the corrections visible or something with a note drawing their attention to the changes, he would probably be on solid ground. But he didn't - he scanned it into a computer and probably made the amendments look typographically like the original.

Anyways, this is quite a tricky one. I'll be following this to the latter. Not to mention, the owners probably have deep pockets and connections - typical russians.

What a fellow. I can imagine a lot of folks won't be doing business with him in future.

wrong! obviously there was no such clause and even if there was, it would be meaningless. both parties have a right to review a contract before signing and like someone earlier said the amendment to the contract would be viewed not as an amendment to the original contract but as a counter offer to the original contract. therefore, such a clause is completely meaningless except if the amendment was physically made on the original contract agreement. it is absolutely not the responsibility of the offeror to highlight the provisions and clauses of a contract. that is the reason why you are given a contract agreement to read and sign on. ceteris paribus, there is no case against the man.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Nobody: 8:40pm On Aug 11, 2013
Kgdavid:

wrong! obviously there was no such clause and even if there was, it would be meaningless. both parties have a right to review a contract before signing and like someone earlier said the amendment to the contract would be viewed not as an amendment to the original contract but as a counter offer to the original contract. therefore, such a clause is completely meaningless except if the amendment was physically made on the original contract agreement. it is absolutely not the responsibility of the offeror to highlight the provisions and clauses of a contract. that is the reason why you are given a contract agreement to read and sign on. ceteris paribus, there is no case against the man.

Exactly my point

1 Like

Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by coogar: 8:43pm On Aug 11, 2013
Kgdavid:
wrong! obviously there was no such clause and even if there was, it would be meaningless. both parties have a right to review a contract before signing and like someone earlier said the amendment to the contract would be viewed not as an amendment to the original contract but as a counter offer to the original contract. therefore, such a clause is completely meaningless except if the amendment was physically made on the original contract agreement. it is absolutely not the responsibility of the offeror to highlight out the provisions and clauses of a contract. that is the reason why you are given a contract agreement to read and sign on. ceteris paribus, there is no case against the man.

obviously, there's no case against the man in russia. how it works in the UK is different. the bank must have signed the contract before sending the document to the consumer. the consumer just need to tick "i agree" or sign and the contract is sealed.

apparently, this man used the technicality that the bank hasn't yet signed the document they sent out to him. even with that, not notifying the bank is immoral and an act of deception. the court should make him pay what he's owed and the bank should pay the remaining fees(interest rate, default, etc)

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I'm Confused On What Crypto coin to Invest In / Where Can I Invest 500,000 Naira / Oxford Group Of Companies Investment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.