Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,030 members, 7,810,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms - Investment (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms (20854 Views)

Skye Bank Wins Bid To Acquire Mainstreet Bank For N120bn / Four Tricks For Sticking To Your Financial Resolutions / How To Verify Your Credit Card For Internet Banking And Online Transaction. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Lyth: 8:50pm On Aug 11, 2013
Crassus:
"They signed the documents without looking. They said what usually their borrowers say in court: 'We have not read it',” said Mr Mikhalevich.

Got me cracking ... cheesy ...they never saw it coming jst lyk most of their victims!
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by richjohn1(m): 8:52pm On Aug 11, 2013
This is interesting, for all I care both parties have solid claims and grounds from my banking experience its gross negligence from the bank's part! It now depends on how strong and influencial the lawyers of both sides are
But this guy has no right to be arrested in any sane community! The guy should be quarantined he's too fraudulent to be in d biz world! NEVER negotiate anything financial with this guy if not sorry is your name!
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Dollarjunkie: 9:01pm On Aug 11, 2013
slinkman: i just robbed a pot..
Me too
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by OBAGADAFFI: 9:05pm On Aug 11, 2013
eddiebruk: Some of ya'all just want to comment to feel good, rather you failed to read and understand that the bank actually read the agreement and accepted his conditions knowingly if not they wouldn't have provided him with an Unlimited Credit Card which was one of his terms in that agreement.

YOU are right, the company read the adjusted agreement, and violated it.

The company is guilty.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Waspy(m): 9:22pm On Aug 11, 2013
Olastep1: BBA=APC
Wetin dey worry this one? U miss road ni?
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by confusion247(m): 9:28pm On Aug 11, 2013
coogar:

alteration of any document = forgery!
he altered the terms of the contract to suit his greed. that should get him about 10 years in prison for fraud!
I think we need to call FALANA for more clarification because Fashola is still busy with issue of deportation.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by ZN2: 9:28pm On Aug 11, 2013
eddiebruk: Some of ya'all just want to comment to feel good, rather you failed to read and understand that the bank actually read the agreement and accepted his conditions knowingly if not they wouldn't have provided him with an Unlimited Credit Card which was one of his terms in that agreement.

Apparently, you're very daft if you think they 'knowingly' consented to his terms. Which institution would read, accept and issue a card on such terms? Zero interest, unlimited credit and exemption from fines?

Crassus: Every time the bank failed to comply with the rules, he would fine them 3m rubles (£58,716). If Tinkoff tried to cancel the contract, it would have to pay him 6m rubles. Tinkoff apparently failed to read the amendments, signed the contract and sent Mr Argakov a credit card .

The bank clearly issued a card 'on their terms' not knowing they had accidentally confirmed an application on altered terms. This is the bone of contention.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by confusion247(m): 9:29pm On Aug 11, 2013
This guy is smart simple.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by coogar: 9:31pm On Aug 11, 2013
confusion247:
I think we need to call FALANA because Fashola is still busy with issue of deportation.

the bank should pay for some of their loss due to their own negligence but it does not erode the fact that this man altered a bank document and passed it along like he's not touched it.

he should pay his debt(the exact amount he's spent) - the bank should pay the other costs.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by ZN2: 9:55pm On Aug 11, 2013
Kgdavid:

wrong! obviously there was no such clause and even if there was, it would be meaningless. both parties have a right to review a contract before signing and like someone earlier said the amendment to the contract would be viewed not as an amendment to the original contract but as a counter offer to the original contract. therefore, such a clause is completely meaningless except if the amendment was physically made on the original contract agreement. it is absolutely not the responsibility of the offeror to highlight the provisions and clauses of a contract. that is the reason why you are given a contract agreement to read and sign on. ceteris paribus, there is no case against the man.

Listen up, you. First off, I'll break it down for you in plain words - this was not an open contract. It was more or less an offer with "terms and conditions". If you'd followed the case from the start, you'd know that he received an unsolicited credit card offer (if you're familiar with the ones sent very often by Visa or American Express you'd know what I mean) - he did not walk up to the firm and request for a card.

On a normal basis, by completing and signing the application, he would be applying for a card on the bank's terms. If he did not agree to the terms of the application, the right thing would be to turn it down or express in writing stating whatever terms he wanted.

The trick he played there was 'digitally' modify parts of the terms and conditions in a very sneaky fashion to suit his desires (even changing the website URL showing the terms and conditions), the bank on the other hand might've assumed the application was unaltered, processed it and sent him the card - of course you can blame them for the oversight.

Clearly, the bank was unaware of these changes and assumed it was issuing a credit card 'on their terms', not knowing the T&C of the application sent to him had been altered.

If he was in the UK, Forgery & Counterfeiting Act 1981, would've seen this matter over with.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by fr3do(m): 10:04pm On Aug 11, 2013
~ZN~:
He'll be lucky if he doesn't spend some time in jail, that's fraud.

Making the alterations without pointing them out is a clear deceptive attempt.

you are talking morality.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by uchdollar111: 10:25pm On Aug 11, 2013
That guy is simply smart
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Nextworldnx(m): 10:28pm On Aug 11, 2013
~ZN~:

Listen up, you. First off, I'll break it down for you in plain words - this was not an open contract. It was more or less an offer with "terms and conditions". If you'd followed the case from the start, you'd know that he received an unsolicited credit card offer (if you're familiar with the ones sent very often by Visa or American Express you'd know what I mean) - he did not walk up to the firm and request for a card.

On a normal basis, by completing and signing the application, he would be applying for a card on the bank's terms. If he did not agree to the terms of the application, the right thing would be to turn it down or express in writing stating whatever terms he wanted.

The trick he played there was 'digitally' modify parts of the terms and conditions in a very sneaky fashion to suit his desires (even changing the website URL showing the terms and conditions), the bank on the other hand might've assumed the application was unaltered, processed it and sent him the card - of course you can blame them for the oversight.

Clearly, the bank was unaware of these changes and assumed it was issuing a credit card 'on their terms', not knowing the T&C of the application sent to him had been altered.

If he was in the UK, Forgery & Counterfeiting Act 1981, would've seen this matter over with.

What in God's name are u saying? .... That the bank shouldn't be blamed for "oversight"? Abeg tell me something else.

I am not a Lawyer o! But I know a popular saying in the Law court, which goes "Ignorance is not an excuse before the law".

Why do people and companies use signatures and seals or watever on binding documents?
Is it not to show that any paper and agreement carrying such Logo, seal and signature should be honoured to the last letter,provided u signed it?

My friend park well and don't call us dounces here. A company sent me an agreement form for me to sign, I alter am to suit my own terms and conditions and signed my part on it, forwarded it back to the company, d company endorsed it, processed my card and sent it to me. I have been using the card on my terms for awhile now and when they broke their "signed" agreement and I dragged them to court before they realise their mistake. U re now telling me that it was just an "oversight"! Come on " give me a break.

I have friends as lawyers, heck even my younger brother is a lawyer. I have seen owners of companies kicked out!! U know why??! Because of the "oversight" u spoke of, whereby business owners sign documents without actually reading through because they trusted their business partners and colleagues not write otherwise from what they had verbally agreed on!

If na me, d bank neva begin pay self. They go pay shetey till they sack the idiot, Mumuni wey the incharge incoming mails. NONSENSE!!!
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by ZN2: 10:57pm On Aug 11, 2013
^ Quit the long talk, I'm not defending the bank for the careless oversight.

What I'm on about is his suing the bank for 24million for allegedly "breaching his framed up contract". That to me is like pushing his luck too far and it's unlikely he'll pull it off. If he was lucky to get off the hook on the first charges dropped against him - having being told to pay just his balances, he ought to have done that and end it there.

Now that the bank has launched its own legal action, accusing him of fraud, you just watch how things unfold. Perhaps you need to know that the customer is always the subservient party in a bank credit card contract.

I'm in no mood to banter words with ignorant fellows like you.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by deb(m): 11:19pm On Aug 11, 2013
This one pass 419 it is 4 1-10 grin Nigerians are learners walahi
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by infolekan(m): 11:44pm On Aug 11, 2013
~ZN~:

Apparently, you're very daft if you think they 'knowingly' consented to his terms. Which institution would read, accept and issue a card on such terms? Zero interest, unlimited credit and exemption from fines?

You're obviously retarded....when you fill an insurance form and you're disqualified on a technicality...the excuse given is that it's written there but you don't bother to read it.
A man is sent a copy of an agreement to accept and he sends another one back for the bank to sign which they do without reading it...what else do you want?
How can a whole institution accept an online form and sign it without being certain that the terms there are what they can abide with.
The knife cuts both ways.

The bank clearly issued a card 'on their terms' not knowing they had accidentally confirmed an application on altered terms. This is the bone of contention.

Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by king9952: 11:46pm On Aug 11, 2013
How dare you charge him with fraud. How is it legally possible, the man drafted his own agreement, he disagreed with terms from bank, and fowarded his own term, whose fault, he only looking out for himself just like the so called banks and credit card companies who have been defrauding people for years with those tiny letter so little only microscopic device can read them with hidden ourageous interest rate, what do yall call that huh,which law prohibits anyone from drafting his or her own terms or negotiating either in words or written, just more like applying a loan and add terms that favours the applicants rather that loan provider, if they sign it, they have agreed with whatever terms he drafted, he did not poit gun at their head to force their signature, i rest my case.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by coogar: 11:52pm On Aug 11, 2013
king9952: How dare you charge him with fraud. How is it legally possible, the man drafted his own agreement, he disagreed with terms from bank, and fowarded his own term, whose fault, he only looking out for himself just like the so called banks and credit card companies who have been defrauding people for years with those tiny letter so little only microscopic device can read them with hidden ourageous interest rate, what do yall call that huh,which law prohibits anyone from drafting his or her own terms or negotiating either in words or written, just more like applying a loan and add terms that favours the applicants rather that loan provider, if they sign it, they have agreed with whatever terms he drafted, he did not poit gun at their head to force their signature, i rest my case.

he altered the document - he used the bank's letter-headed document and amended the clauses to suit his own selfish needs. in which world would any credit card gives you a no-limit with 0% interest rate? he can only try that in russia.....in the west, FBI would have taken him directly to a cold prison cell.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by richjohn1(m): 11:57pm On Aug 11, 2013
@ZN and datz a careless oversight that institution may never recover from
There's no law that says T& Cs can't be altered the challenge here is there's isn't a previous similar case like this! Both sides have valid grounds lets see how it goes anyway
Banks and financial houses are delicate places customers might feel their funds aren't safe anymore if this magnitude of error can occur!
The creditcompany is only swimming in more murky waters if they continue with a legal tussle with this crook!
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by ZN2: 12:23am On Aug 12, 2013
rich_john: @ZN and datz a careless oversight that institution may never recover from
There's no law that says T& Cs can't be altered the challenge here is there's isn't a previous similar case like this! Both sides have valid grounds lets see how it goes anyway
Banks and financial houses are delicate places customers might feel their funds aren't safe anymore if this magnitude of error can occur!
The creditcompany is only swimming in more murky waters if they continue with a legal tussle with this crook!

Yes, agreed the oversight is a costly one but let us examine it from this point. . .

The bank sent out what would be an invitational offer (probably some promotional newsletter or so), this type of offer is clearly an adhesion contract.

The bank in this case would be justified in expecting that this application (if completed and signed by the receiver) be returned unadulterated, the invitational offer certainly didn't give him the right to modify the T&C and return it without bringing the modifications to the Bank's attention, it is a take it or leave it offer. It's not like he went to the firm and said to them "Hey, I need a new credit card, let's talk business".

The bank here on receiving a 'returned' application, processed and issues the man a credit card based on the 'initial offer' sent out, only to discover alterations had been made.

If you check closely, he scanned the application into his computer and digitally modified the application to make his 'imposed terms' appear as if it was the original conditions that came from the bank - this is a clear deceptive intent. Why didn't he put his own suggestions/terms in a separate document, or call the bank to discuss terms? I hope you follow?

English law is based on the 'meeting of minds' and 'clean hands', clearly their wasn't a meeting of the minds, and he cannot be seen to have clean hands as he didn't point out the changes.

But of course, I can't speak for the Russian legal system so we'll have to see how it goes.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Kgdavid(m): 1:13am On Aug 12, 2013
~ZN~:

listen up you! what are you saying?? is there any contract that does not have terms and conditions whether under that title or in the form of clauses stop spouting off your opinion as if it is fact. he was sent a contract, he read it didn't like it altered it and sent it back to them as a counter offer. is there a law against making modifications to contracts?? absolutely not! this is done a lot in the business world, the only thing he did that was out of the ordinary was not to notify them of his changes which he cannot be legally held responsible for as it remains their responsibility to read through every contract. they didnt read through because they assumed that no one would modify their contract but the fact remains that the modification was legal. fraudulent? yes, but legal as well? yes! thats what we call exploiting loopholes mister

regardless of whether the bank intended for the offer to be absolute, they made an offer, a counter offer was made and they signed off on it. thats all.

1 Like

Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by alexarelano(m): 6:09am On Aug 12, 2013
m.esther96:
dunces like ur sisters??

oponu
u neva knw Nairalanders. They'll let u knw u are a fresher cheesy
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by dekins: 7:10am On Aug 12, 2013
Trust naija na.Some will do same having heard of this.Our bankers should plz shine their eyes o in order to avoid stories that touch.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by PrinceJustice(m): 8:10am On Aug 12, 2013
m.esther96:
sharp guy,dts d type i wl mary
*praying*
Hey! Wake up! Stop dreaming or rather, stop fantasizing
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by kentro201: 8:39am On Aug 12, 2013
Hmmm...some peeps just want to comment here...some made comments without reading the full details of the article/post.
Firstly...why would a bank send an unsigned contract documents to attest?...
Secondly...The man is a client and has all the right to review,reassess any documents before signing.
Thirdly..Th man has no case to answer..simply because he read carefully the documents sent by the bank and made a readjustment which is a normal agreement terms.....please check the customer service code ..section 192 for this...
For the bank to issue an unsigned document to a client ....it simply means the has not been binded by law until a party or each party signs.

The bank signed a document and he has binded the contract...the man did not forge any document and moreso has no case to answer...

If the documents was pre-signed by the bank before it is sent to him...then. It is forgery...buh if the document was sent after the man made adjustment then it is called clients /customers conduct n interest...check the customers code for bankers page 80..
Please update on the preceedings..
Thank you

2 Likes

Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by blaise26abj(m): 9:05am On Aug 12, 2013
~ZN~:

Yes, agreed the oversight is a costly one but let us examine it from this point. . .

The bank sent out what would be an invitational offer (probably some promotional newsletter or so), this type of offer is clearly an adhesion contract.

The bank in this case would be justified in expecting that this application (if completed and signed by the receiver) be returned unadulterated, the invitational offer certainly didn't give him the right to modify the T&C and return it without bringing the modifications to the Bank's attention, it is a take it or leave it offer. It's not like he went to the firm and said to them "Hey, I need a new credit card, let's talk business".

The bank here on receiving a 'returned' application, processed and issues the man a credit card based on the 'initial offer' sent out, only to discover alterations had been made.

If you check closely, he scanned the application into his computer and digitally modified the application to make his 'imposed terms' appear as if it was the original conditions that came from the bank - this is a clear deceptive intent. Why didn't he put his own suggestions/terms in a separate document, or call the bank to discuss terms? I hope you follow?

English law is based on the 'meeting of minds' and 'clean hands', clearly their wasn't a meeting of the minds, and he cannot be seen to have clean hands as he didn't point out the changes.

But of course, I can't speak for the Russian legal system so we'll have to see how it goes.

Mr Zn, calm down. It was an unsolicited offer. He didn't like the terms. He adjusted it. Signed and sent it back. It was their duty to go through it themselves b4 signing. They shld be held bound by that agreement. Dang. There wasnt any caveat stating tampering. They simply sent their application with Terms and Conditions and he adjusted d T& C, signed and sent it back. And they signed it. It is a very clear case.
If he had signed it without reading the T&C and it stated a 120% Interest, wont the man be held accountable? Abeg park well with ur UK law.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Nmeri17: 9:47am On Aug 12, 2013
I certainly do like this white man.The thing wey dey there be say whatever fines he's asked to pay, he'll just withdraw from the same bank and say to them.He now has the fowl that'll lay him golden eggs daily smiley
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by Dbeliever(m): 10:43am On Aug 12, 2013
Iam sorry i dont understand the whole script and i dont even think i need a sensor.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by jpphilips(m): 11:35am On Aug 12, 2013
~ZN~:
^ Quit the long talk, I'm not defending the bank for the careless oversight.

What I'm on about is his suing the bank for 24million for allegedly "breaching his framed up contract". That to me is like pushing his luck too far and it's unlikely he'll pull it off. If he was lucky to get off the hook on the first charges dropped against him - having being told to pay just his balances, he ought to have done that and end it there.

Now that the bank has launched its own legal action, accusing him of fraud, you just watch how things unfold. Perhaps you need to know that the customer is always the subservient party in a bank credit card contract.

I'm in no mood to banter words with ignorant fellows like you.

He is not suing for a framed up contract, he is suing on a breach of contract, both parties have the right to make terms and conditions but it is the AGREEMENT part that is recognized by law.

The case can go two ways cos i have seen where a judge turned down a payment claim because he considered the agreement as exploitative, but that is mere discretion and nobody argued whether or not the agreement was binding.

someone gave somebody a loan and charged him 70% interest rate, the debtor was able to prove that he was in a dire financial meess at the time, which was why he agreed with the creditor, in his ruling the judge asked both lawyers to renegotiate and come up with a reasonable interest rate and time frame for payment.

Mind you that the judge never argued whether there is an agreement or not.

Another case is, one where a guy prepared an MOU (memorandum of understanding) without consulting a lawyer, the guy he was dealing with smuggled in a lot of liabilities in the MOU which he read but didn't understand before signing.on getting to court, the judge called him a fool and ruled against him.

if i were him, i will sue for breach of contract and claim reasonable damages.
Re: Man Who Created Own Credit Card Sues Bank For Not Sticking To Terms by sonickay(m): 12:50pm On Aug 12, 2013
alpha conde: He shouldn't be intimidated. I assume he re wrote the agreement. Where is it in law that only the bank has the right to write or draw up agreements?
SPOT ON! A customer-banker relationship is contractual arising out of Offer and Acceptance. It runs on what had been agreed by d parties. Dis is a simple contract- its terms to b agreed on by d parties consensually unlike a deed, contract under seal or unilateral contract which can be SAMMERED or Super-Imposed on d oda party for necessary compliance without replied variance(s) or changes or express acceptance.
D agreement in conformity with modern day banking was only pre-written for convenience sake (for both d banker and d customer) instead of spending precious time drafting d contract, it is pre-written on d relationship dat may exist betwwen a banker and its prospective customer.
D man only made a counter-offer to which d bank accepted and signed instead of rejecting such for being frivolous to them...its d bank's own cup of tea, dere was no fraud, no official of d bank aided in signing d document or blindfolded d manager or whoever accepted d counter-offer nor were dey induced...d bank may ameliorate dis anomally by seeking an interim injunction to restrain him 4rm withdrawing money pending d determination of d susbtantial case and d issue(s) in contention! ARGHOV WITHDRAW AS U LIKE JARE, FRAUD KOO, JUJU NI!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

I'm Confused On What Crypto coin to Invest In / Where Can I Invest 500,000 Naira / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Invest In Schemes Like MMM To Doing Real Investment?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.