Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,214 members, 7,853,132 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 11:39 AM

Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable (7655 Views)

"Stella Oduah's Fraud At Enugu Airport" / Hundreds Throng Enugu Airport To Pay Respect To Chukwumerije. Picture. / Enugu Airport: Before And After GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Abagworo(m): 9:40pm On Aug 11, 2013
ACM10:

What an ignorant comment! Enugu is densely-populated. Moreover, large number of international travellers of Igbo extraction resides in Enugu. Who told you that Asaba airport is used for international flights? Your problem is that you are yet to visit Enugu. All you do is to expose your poor knowledge everyday on the topic of Enugu. I have no doubt in the economic viability of enugu airport. Time will tell.

Enugu is not densely populated and I know Enugu just like every other Igbo town like the palm of my hands. It is a sparse city and even more like a sprawl with some few concentrated settlements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Czckb6t1wR4
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by naijaking1: 11:10pm On Aug 11, 2013
Abagworo:

Enugu is not densely populated and I know Enugu just like every other Igbo town like the palm of my hands. It is a sparse city and even more like a sprawl with some few concentrated settlements.

What's worse? Your arguement that Enugu airport will not survive because of Asaba airport that is yet to be fully operational or your lame video of a poorly produced rap video shot at the Independence layout area when there's no traffic either, because of the movie producers clearing traffic or it was filmed at some unholy time of the day.
You should be embarrased by your own weak logic.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Abagworo(m): 11:29pm On Aug 11, 2013
naijaking1:

What's worse? Your arguement that Enugu airport will not survive because of Asaba airport that is yet to be fully operational or your lame video of a poorly produced rap video shot at the Independence layout area when there's no traffic either, because of the movie producers clearing traffic or it was filmed at some unholy time of the day.
You should be embarrased by your own weak logic.

I shot the video myself while driving to a hotel I was lodged in Enugu. Enugu is not densely populated and that is not the topic. I was only calling for patronage by all Igbos and you only saw the Port Harcourt and Asaba part.

Ii predicted our normal "I don't care" attitude that could reduce traffic to the airport. Igbo traders in their usual manner could use Asaba and Port-Harcourt for convenience ahead of Enugu. It can be likened to our building and investing outside our land for convenience. Does building in Funtua by Igbos mean that we don't have better places in Igboland to build?
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by naijaking1: 11:46pm On Aug 11, 2013
Abagworo:

I shot the video myself while driving to a hotel I was lodged in Enugu. Enugu is not densely populated and that is not the topic. I was only calling for patronage by all Igbos and you only saw the Port Harcourt and Asaba part.

Ii predicted our normal "I don't care" attitude that could reduce traffic to the airport. Igbo traders in their usual manner could use Asaba and Port-Harcourt for convenience ahead of Enugu. It can be likened to our building and investing outside our land for convenience. Does building in Funtua by Igbos mean that we don't have better places in Igboland to build?

Nice! You shot the video. You should admit that you did so either early in the morning or late in the evening. To use it to prove that Enugu is sparsely populated is wrong, because you should have shown a video of Obiagu, Aukunanaw, Abakpa, or even Uwani areas at that same time of day.
Yes, Enugu may not be as populous as Lagos, but just consider the numerous unfavorable federal goverment policies that have forced people off Igboland
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by naijaking1: 4:56am On Aug 12, 2013
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nobody: 6:09am On Aug 12, 2013
Most ibos in nigeria will go by road rather than air during christmas for the simple reason that it is cheaper. A guy with a four kids or more, will blow over 200k on tickets alone.

Plus you have to take the newly purchased car to oppress the villagers.

No need for argument; we will see the figures next year. Unless madam oduah can force airlines to use enugu, no dice. It is doubtful the renovation/upgrade was based on any actual figures/analysis; just part of oduah 2015
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by ChrisOD: 6:12am On Aug 12, 2013
oyb: Most ibos in nigeria will go by road rather than air during christmas for the simple reason that it is cheaper. A guy with a four kids or more, will blow over 200k on tickets alone.

No need for argument; we will see the figures next year. Unless madam oduah can force airlines to use enugu, no dice. It is doubtful the renovation/upgrade was based on any actual figures/analysis; just part of oduah 2015

Have you seen the current data on number of lights in Naija airports? What does it say about Enugu even when it is not international?

1 Like

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by biafranqueen: 7:25am On Aug 12, 2013
Yorubest:

No Ethiopian Airline plane will leave Enugu and fly directly to LA or Houston

They will still go through Addis Ababa. Now if you know how long it takes to fly from Addis Ababa to LA, you will rather fly to Lagos or Abuja to get to the US
ok just like Turkish stop in they place
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by asha80(m): 7:29am On Aug 12, 2013
oyb: Most ibos in nigeria will go by road rather than air during christmas for the simple reason that it is cheaper. A guy with a four kids or more, will blow over 200k on tickets alone.

illiterate comment...i guess the igbo man coming to nigeria from let us say china would prefer to drive from china to enugu because it is cheaper.we are talking international travel here not local.

2 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nobody: 7:32am On Aug 12, 2013
asha 80: illiterate comment...i guess the igbo man coming to nigeria from let us say china would prefer to drive from china to enugu because it is cheaper.we are talking international travel here not local.
grin grin
Whether local or international, the Enugu airport is commercially viable
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by asha80(m): 7:33am On Aug 12, 2013
Abagworo:

you are still making the mistake of mentioning asaba..we are not talking local travel here abagworo haba.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Abagworo(m): 7:40am On Aug 12, 2013
asha 80: you are still making the mistake of mentioning asaba..we are not talking local travel here abagworo haba.

I know. I mean in the long run. Even at the moment, the Port Harcourt airport has restricted international flights.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nobody: 7:51am On Aug 12, 2013
asha 80: illiterate comment...i guess the igbo man coming to nigeria from let us say china would prefer to drive from china to enugu because it is cheaper.we are talking international travel here not local.

Slow thinker - you think the man coming from china is selling his market in enugu? How many of your businesses are based in the east? I was in pc village over the weekend. This nna fellow I buy stuff from was telling me he was travelling to china to restock. Why would he fly from china to enugu when his shop is in lagos?

The only time there is serioud traffic to the east is dec 25; and if you don't get your kidnappers in order even that time will not bring much traffic.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by asha80(m): 7:51am On Aug 12, 2013
Abagworo:

I know. I mean in the long run. Even at the moment, the Port Harcourt airport has restricted international flights.
until whenever asaba is designated so let us focus on enugu...cant say why ph is restricted.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by asha80(m): 7:59am On Aug 12, 2013
oyb:

Slow thinker - you think the man coming from china is selling his market in enugu? How many of your businesses are based in the east? I was in pc village over the weekend. This nna fellow I buy stuff from was telling me he was travelling to china to restock. Why would he fly from china to enugu when his shop is in lagos?

The only time there is serioud traffic to the east is dec 25; and if you don't get your kidnappers in order even that time will not bring much traffic.
time will tell...i hope you do not eat your words...keep banding kidnapping things around.by the way your first comment and this second comment are not related as the first comment was more about local travel while the second is more about international travel...in the end those airlines would decide instead of these academic projections we are doing.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Abagworo(m): 8:22am On Aug 12, 2013
oyb:

You people do make heavy mistakes. There are a lot of people living in the East and there exists a buoyant economy. The Southeastern cities and villages actually host the highest concentration of tall residential buildings in Nigeria. Aba and Onitsha have populations exceeding 1million while Port Harcourt exceeds 2million.
The Anambra and Northern Imo area has villages more populous than cities that covers a very large area between Nnobi near Nnewi via Ekwulobia down to Akabo near Owerri on one hand and between Oba and Awo-Omamma on the other. Let us not forget other cities of over 600 thousand like Enugu and Calabar or Owerri, Nnewi, Umuahia, Ikot-Ekpene, Uyo, Eket, Ohafia, Abakaliki, Orlu, Nsukka, Okigwe, Bori, Eleme, Ihiala, Abonema, Buguma, Okrika etc

You must also understand that no market in Lagos is as big as Ariaria or Main market. A look at the CBN cashless policy further indicates that Port-Harcourt, Onitsha and Aba have vibrant economies alongside Lagos, Abuja,Ogun and Kano which gives us 3 in the East and 2 in the North and West respectively.

Enugu airport will experience heavy traffic which can only be slowed down if Port-Harcourt and Asaba are granted international status because they are closer to the population zones.

3 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by ACM10: 7:01pm On Aug 12, 2013
Abagworo:

hahaha. . .dude, you are seriously funny!

First, the video was shot either in the morning or in the evening.

Secondly, the video was shot on the road linking government house to Bisala road. That area is notoriously cool just like Trans-Ekulu.

Thidly, Okada(either commercial or private) was banned in Enugu since 2010. Folks! scroll to 1.48 to see people moving with okada. So, your video is atleast 3 years old.

If you want to estimate the population density of Enugu, visit Abakpa-nike, Coal camp, Obiagu, Achara layout and New haven(lower Chime)
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by drnoel: 8:13pm On Aug 12, 2013
Yorubest:

Do you have facts to support this 50%?

I fly internationally to several destinations virtually every month and I can't say Igbos are more on most of my flights. I don't even bother looking out for who is on board. Once a while I have chats with and exchange contacts with other passengers I'm seated by but its always an exception but I've only exchanged contacts with an Igbo woman once in up to ten people I've met on board. I can be more affirmative about the Nigeria tribes I see in my destinations though. In the UK and USA, I see more Yorubas but I will agree there are a number of Igbos in SA and Dubai but of course there are more Nigerians in the UK and USA. These are the biggest destinations for Nigerians though

My point here is if Enugu can generate the traffic, PHC would have done that before it due into its proximity to the SE states
it depends om ur destination and yes Igbos do dorminate most of these flights
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nebeuwa(m): 12:14am On Aug 13, 2013
drnoel:
it depends om ur destination and yes Igbos do dorminate most of these flights

We can even break it down by country and the groups who travel to these countries.

UK = Primarily Yoruba

United States = Primarily Igbo

China = Primarily Igbo

Ghana = Primarily Yoruba

South Africa = Primarily Igbo

Malaysia = Primarily Igbo

Saudi Arabia = Primarily Hausa/Fulani

Dubai = Mixed between Hausa/Fulani & Igbo

Kenya = Primarily Igbo

Egypt = Primarily Hausa/Fulani

Italy = Primarily Bini

Northern Europe = Primarily Igbo

3 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by ketoprofen(m): 3:33am On Aug 13, 2013
Yorubest:

I'm sure you're the one who has never been on a plane before because anyone who has will easily understand my post and my point

Planes don't just land in airports because they feel like

Business cases are made

Why is PH Int'l Airport not getting the figures despite its proximity to the East?

If you can't answer that, then you need to review your reasoning

my friend, y not leave the airport to work on its own first and let us all watch ur evil thoughts come to pass other dan getting worked up before hand. The thing neva even start u are already having tachycardia, if it starts then u wl develop frank arrhythmias.

Of every 5 nigerians abroad, according to GEJ/ Nigerians abroad, 3-4 are from SE. The ethiopian airlines is dominated by just onitsha and Aba enterpreneurs only. The majority of MMIA and Abuja passengers begin their journey from SE.........

Hey, Am not surprised google said 'yorubas are the most hateful tribe in nigeria!' this is a perfect example.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by ketoprofen(m): 3:38am On Aug 13, 2013
Abagworo:

You people do make heavy mistakes. There are a lot of people living in the East and there exists a buoyant economy. The Southeastern cities and villages actually host the highest concentration of tall residential buildings in Nigeria. Aba and Onitsha have populations exceeding 1million while Port Harcourt exceeds 2million.
The Anambra and Northern Imo area has villages more populous than cities that covers a very large area between Nnobi near Nnewi via Ekwulobia down to Akabo near Owerri on one hand and between Oba and Awo-Omamma on the other. Let us not forget other cities of over 600 thousand like Enugu and Calabar or Owerri, Nnewi, Umuahia, Ikot-Ekpene, Uyo, Eket, Ohafia, Abakaliki, Orlu, Nsukka, Okigwe, Bori, Eleme, Ihiala, Abonema, Buguma, Okrika etc

You must also understand that no market in Lagos is as big as Ariaria or Main market. A look at the CBN cashless policy further indicates that Port-Harcourt, Onitsha and Aba have vibrant economies alongside Lagos, Abuja,Ogun and Kano which gives us 3 in the East and 2 in the North and West respectively.

Enugu airport will experience heavy traffic which can only be slowed down if Port-Harcourt and Asaba are granted international status because they are closer to the population zones.

who says ogun is part of that cashless policy sef? I read that policy when i visit banks and i dont see Ogun. I only see ogun on nairaland.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Real Maps Of Oil Fields In Nigeria - Verifiable / PDP To Hold Fresh Convention August 17 / PENGASSN Urges FG, States To Resolve Issues On Minimum Wage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.