Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,400 members, 7,861,121 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 01:22 AM

Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable (7666 Views)

"Stella Oduah's Fraud At Enugu Airport" / Hundreds Throng Enugu Airport To Pay Respect To Chukwumerije. Picture. / Enugu Airport: Before And After GEJ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by asha80(m): 4:39pm On Aug 10, 2013
Yorubest:

My point in the opening post exactly where I mentioned income and population as the two key drivers for air passenger traffic

That's why I've chosen not to comment any longer because most posts on this thread are more emotional than rational
just allow the airlines that have shown interest decide.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by jacobs123(m): 4:40pm On Aug 10, 2013
CFCfan:

Yeah, an expanding middle class will invariably lead to a bigger flying public. But note that in the US, air travel is basically a necessity due to the massive size of the country.

I quite agree with but China has got a massive country too but maybe they have a better rail system than US.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nobody: 4:52pm On Aug 10, 2013
jacobs123:

I quite agree with but China has got a massive country too but maybe they have a better rail system than US.

Yes, China has a far more advanced rail system. They have High Speed rail.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Longeria(m): 5:43pm On Aug 10, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Nwannem, I've lived in the SE.
which part?
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Longeria(m): 5:57pm On Aug 10, 2013
Jingo-OAU:
Am very sure that 90percent of us here are novice when it comes to aviation business. As a Cabin Crew, I still know some details concerning the passenger traffic.

Those things some of us know are little compared to those things we do not know. Some of us just concluded prematurely that Igbos constitute over 50percent of air travellers in Nigeria, and I laugh. As a cabin crew, before a flight take off, we already have the flight manifest with us where passengers name are written.

Let me divert our attention a bit, Aminu Kano int'l airport in Kano carries more passengers than all the south east airports combined both local and international flights. Infact, most flights coming from Libya, lebanon, malaysia, egypt, saudi arabi, Dubai, UAE, Kuwait, Oman, Georgia, and some other middle east countries are populated by the Hausas. All these flights are restricted to the nothern part of Nigeria, especially for those Hausa traders who import and export their goods. 95percent of Hausa traders ply Kano airport instead of Lagos for international flight. Infact, all the hajj and umrah operations concerning Hausas are done in Kano.

Let it be clear to most of us here that flights originating frm LOS to Kaduna, kano, Maiduguri, abuja, and some other less important airports are populated by Hausa traders. Nevertheless, in as much am not disputing the fact that Igbos do travel a lot. Their travellings only peak once in a year and dats during december alone. For the northerners, they travel everynow and then, but dey dnt stay permanently in foreign countries.

The reason no airports in southwest of Nigeria carries more passenger is cos of proximity to Lagos. It will definitely make no business sense for another airport to be situated in Ogun state. For instance, southwest of Nigeria is as big as Ghana, yet the whole of Ghana only have Kotoka int'l airport as d main functional airport. Its very much better for any passenger residing in ibadan, abeokuta, oshogbo,etc to drive straight to Lagos rather than boarding an unnecessary flight direct frm their source.

Moreso, some people even talk as if we are so rich in this country. How many nairalander has travelled out of this country not to talk of travelling with an aeroplane within Nigeria. And yet, some idiots would be beating their chest that their ancestors travelled more than others when in actual sense, they are limited to their erosion-driven region doing farming.
Bad belle go kill you.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by collynzo2(m): 6:13pm On Aug 10, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Nwannem, I've lived in the SE.
and it's being 'ravaged' by erosion? Point of correction, I am not your brother, I've seen most of your anti-Igbo comments.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by omongbatim: 6:15pm On Aug 10, 2013
Jingo-OAU:
Am very sure that 90percent of us here are novice when it comes to aviation business. As a Cabin Crew, I still know some details concerning the passenger traffic.

Those things some of us know are little compared to those things we do not know. Some of us just concluded prematurely that Igbos constitute over 50percent of air travellers in Nigeria, and I laugh. As a cabin crew, before a flight take off, we already have the flight manifest with us where passengers name are written.

Let me divert our attention a bit, Aminu Kano int'l airport in Kano carries more passengers than all the south east airports combined both local and international flights. Infact, most flights coming from Libya, lebanon, malaysia, egypt, saudi arabi, Dubai, UAE, Kuwait, Oman, Georgia, and some other middle east countries are populated by the Hausas. All these flights are restricted to the nothern part of Nigeria, especially for those Hausa traders who import and export their goods. 95percent of Hausa traders ply Kano airport instead of Lagos for international flight. Infact, all the hajj and umrah operations concerning Hausas are done in Kano.

Let it be clear to most of us here that flights originating frm LOS to Kaduna, kano, Maiduguri, abuja, and some other less important airports are populated by Hausa traders. Nevertheless, in as much am not disputing the fact that Igbos do travel a lot. Their travellings only peak once in a year and dats during december alone. For the northerners, they travel everynow and then, but dey dnt stay permanently in foreign countries.

The reason no airports in southwest of Nigeria carries more passenger is cos of proximity to Lagos. It will definitely make no business sense for another airport to be situated in Ogun state. For instance, southwest of Nigeria is as big as Ghana, yet the whole of Ghana only have Kotoka int'l airport as d main functional airport. Its very much better for any passenger residing in ibadan, abeokuta, oshogbo,etc to drive straight to Lagos rather than boarding an unnecessary flight direct frm their source.

Moreso, some people even talk as if we are so rich in this country. How many nairalander has travelled out of this country not to talk of travelling with an aeroplane within Nigeria. And yet, some idiots would be beating their chest that their ancestors travelled more than others when in actual sense, they are limited to their erosion-driven region doing farming.

How many airlines are you a cabin crew in? Do you work for more than one airline at a time? Speak for your own airline which appears to be the one flying rabid Muslims to mecca and back. You cannot speak for KLM, Delta, Lufthansa, Air France, BA, etc that we know have more than 50% of their flyers as Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by achi4u(m): 7:50pm On Aug 10, 2013
@jingoist OAU

Your last statement rubbish all you wrote.

Next time write like a matured brain.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by naijaking1: 8:10pm On Aug 10, 2013
On the surface this threads looks like an economic issue, but in reality is nothing more than another tribal bashing and suppresion of Igbos and other likely users of Enugu airport to fly out of Nigeria.
@poster, do you know how many times I had to drive to Kano to fly to Europe and US? Same with Lagos?
Your well worn tribal fears are indeed well founded, because people like me would have no reason to drive to Kano or Lagos anymore.
Let pure economics and market forces dictate which airport survives and which has to be closed down, because of lack of passangers.

2 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nobody: 8:14pm On Aug 10, 2013
collynzo2: and it's being 'ravaged' by erosion? Point of correction, I am not your brother, I've seen most of your anti-Igbo comments.
If saying the truth is what you understand by anti-Igbo, you choose to be calling me that, nwannem.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by collynzo2(m): 8:43pm On Aug 10, 2013
Ola Johnson:
If saying the truth is what you understand by anti-Igbo, you choose to be calling me that, nwannem.
Truth like 'south east is being ravaged by erosion'. A bughi nwanne gi biko.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nobody: 8:46pm On Aug 10, 2013
collynzo2: Truth like 'south east is being ravaged by erosion'. A bum nwanne gi biko.
Are parts of the SE not being ravaged by gully?
In the spirit of ofu Nigeria, e wu nwannem.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by IGBOSON1: 8:59pm On Aug 10, 2013
Jingo-OAU:

^^^Jingoistic Jingo-OAU, interesting summation! wink

What airline do you work for if you don't mind me asking?

You say Aminu Kano airport sees more action (local/int'l flights and passenger traffic) than all South Eastern airports put together? Could we have your analysis of the attached Nigerian airport statistics for the first half of 2012? You may notice that Enugu airport has a total traffic figure of 135,504 (bear in mind that it was solely a 'local' airport at the time); on the other hand, Kano int'l airport recorded for the full 6 months a total traffic number of 140,514 for its domestic operations, and 47,354 for its international operations; Owerri recorded for the first six months a total traffic 144,077 (remember that Enugu was not operating fully last year owing to the reconstruction works going on at the time, and that may account for some missing months in the 'Enugu' field). So please tell me how you did your own math to conclude that Kano records more business than all South Eastern airports put together.

Cheers mate! smiley

http://www.faannigeria.org/documents/statistics/2012-Annual%20Traffic%20Report_first%20half.xlsx

8 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by IGBOSON1: 9:05pm On Aug 10, 2013
Ola Johnson:
Are parts of the SE not being ravaged by gully?
In the spirit of ofu Nigeria, e wu nwannem.

^^^You seem to have information on erosion in the South East, so why don't you start by telling us the erosion spots in all the South Eastern states?
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by IGBOSON1: 9:06pm On Aug 10, 2013
The link also has data for previous years:

http://www.faannigeria.org/statistics.html

1 Like

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nobody: 9:10pm On Aug 10, 2013
On the issue of foreign consulates, I don't mind if they are eventually located in Uyo or Port Harcourt. At least those 2 cities are closer to the SE than Abuja or Lagos.
This will mean each of the 3 'old' regions-West, North and East would have foreign consulates.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nebeuwa(m): 9:15pm On Aug 10, 2013
IGBO-SON:

You say Aminu Kano airport sees more action (local/int'l flights and passenger traffic) than all South Eastern airports put together? Could we have your analysis of the attached Nigerian airport statistics for the first half of 2012? You may notice that Enugu airport has a total traffic figure of 135,504 (bear in mind that it was solely a 'local' airport at the time); on the other hand, Kano int'l airport recorded for the full 6 months a total traffic number of 140,514 for its domestic operations, and 47,354 for its international operations; Owerri recorded for the first six months a total traffic 144,077 (remember that Enugu was not operating fully last year owing to the reconstruction works going on at the time, and that may account for some missing months in the 'Enugu' field). So please tell me how you did your own math to conclude that Kano records more business than all South Eastern airports put together.

http://www.faannigeria.org/documents/statistics/2012-Annual%20Traffic%20Report_first%20half.xlsx

grin grin grin

Facts are great. Great job IGBO-SON. You are a true nwa afo Igbo.

2 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Onlytruth(m): 9:18pm On Aug 10, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^Jingoistic Jingo-OAU, interesting summation! wink

What airline do you work for if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers mate! smiley

The guy was using statistricks for his computation.
Shameless iidiats.

3 Likes

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by naijaking1: 9:27pm On Aug 10, 2013
Apart from Igbos like me being forced to travel to Kano in order to get to US, the Kano airport would not sustain itself in terms of passanger all year round. The airport should have been called the hajji-airport of Nigeria, operating only during the haji seasons.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by ba7man(m): 10:45pm On Aug 10, 2013
Jingo-OAU:

Pls, is this the same Road 12 OAU Staff Quarters Jingo??
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by LordNaya: 12:04am On Aug 11, 2013
You people should stay here and argue while savy travellers are already booking all the seats in Enugu bound and return ethiopian airline for their self, Family and friends. People are booking online already. I JUST HOPE YOU GUYS WOULD BE LUCKY TO SEE SEATS AFTER YOU FINISH ARGUING.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by LordNaya: 2:00pm On Aug 11, 2013
Those of you out of Nigeria should inform others on the need to travel straight to Enugu instead of flying to Lagos or Abuja.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Abagworo(m): 3:19pm On Aug 11, 2013
And finally let me make my own contribution since the tribalists, envious ones and ignoramus are quiet.

Enugu airport will not boom in the long run because of traveling population factor. Enugu is located away from the two most populous Igbo towns of over 1million a la Onitsha and Aba. Consequently, it is both a waste of trading time and risk to journey from Onitsha and Aba to Enugu when Port-Harcourt and Asaba are just close by. Enugu will boom only if as Igbos we decide to abandon convenience for tribal patriotism.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by doncaster(m): 4:40pm On Aug 11, 2013
Abagworo: And finally let me make my own contribution since the tribalists, envious ones and ignoramus are quiet.

Enugu airport will not boom in the long run because of traveling population factor. Enugu is located away from the two most populous Igbo towns of over 1million a la Onitsha and Aba. Consequently, it is both a waste of trading time and risk to journey from Onitsha and Aba to Enugu when Port-Harcourt and Asaba are just close by. Enugu will boom only if as Igbos we decide to abandon convenience for tribal patriotism.
Is Asaba international airport? As I understand the flights that land at ph are just few European airlines which demand transit visa for passengers not going to eu or USA. This alone makes Lagos their departure point as they have options in airlines like Turkish, emirate and other Afro airlines that don't demand transit visa. Going to Enugu is definitely closer than going to Lagos.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Nebeuwa(m): 5:18pm On Aug 11, 2013
Abagworo: And finally let me make my own contribution since the tribalists, envious ones and ignoramus are quiet.

I don't think Igbos will have much of a choice. It will depend on the air carrier. If British Airways, Air France or Continental decide to fly directly to Enugu over Port Harcourt or Asaba, then Igbos will have to go to Enugu regardless.

The air carriers will decide if they want to fly to Enugu, Asaba or Port Harcourt.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by LordNaya: 6:21pm On Aug 11, 2013
@ ABAGWORO; You can't find a flight in Port Harcourt that is going to Asia, USA, middle east or other African countries and Asaba Airport is not an international Airport. Ethiopia Airline would fly to over 75 destinations from Enugu while Emirate and Quatar Airline would soon commence their flights to and from Enugu. NDI IGBO WOULD USE ITS MIGHT TO ENSURE THAT ENUGU AIRPORT IS NOT ONLY VIABLE AND PROFITABLE IN THE SHORT RUN BUT ALSO IN THE LONG RUN AND EVIL AND DUMB PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO TRIES TO HINDER OR BADMOUTH THE PROGRESS OF NDI IGBO WOULD BE CRUSHED!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Abagworo(m): 6:26pm On Aug 11, 2013
Lord Naya: @ ABAGWORO; You can't find a flight in Port Harcourt that is going to Asia, USA, middle east or other African countries and Asaba Airport is not an international Airport. Ethiopia Airline would fly to over 75 destinations from Enugu while Emirate and Quatar Airline would soon commence their flights to and from Enugu. NDI IGBO WOULD USE ITS MIGHT TO ENSURE THAT ENUGU AIRPORT IS NOT ONLY VIABLE AND PROFITABLE IN THE SHORT RUN BUT ALSO IN THE LONG RUN AND EVIL AND DUMB PEOPLE LIKE YOU WHO TRIES TO HINDER OR BADMOUTH THE PROGRESS OF NDI IGBO WOULD BE CRUSHED!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are a big fool for writing such baldadash. Did I in any way suggest that Igbos should not use Enugu? I've been at the fore front of Igbos investing in Igboland and my statement is aimed at Igbos supporting the project. However I've observed that Igbos prefer convenience to patriotism and that informs for their over-investments in other parts of the country.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by ACM10: 6:51pm On Aug 11, 2013

What an ignorant comment! Enugu is densely-populated. Moreover, large number of international travellers of Igbo extraction resides in Enugu. Who told you that Asaba airport is used for international flights? Your problem is that you are yet to visit Enugu. All you do is to expose your poor knowledge everyday on the topic of Enugu. I have no doubt in the economic viability of enugu airport. Time will tell.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by LordNaya: 6:57pm On Aug 11, 2013
@ ABAGWORO; I AM NOT A FOOL !!!!!! You should never say Enugu Airport won,t be viable. It is ours and we should make it continously viable. Enugu Airport has all it takes and will get all the patronage and support for it to be viable both in the short and long run.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by BlackPikiN(m): 7:08pm On Aug 11, 2013
Abagworo act like a f00l sometimes.
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by asha80(m): 9:12pm On Aug 11, 2013
bagworo you be funny guy o...is asaba an intertional airport?why not allow the private airlines decide is enugu is profitable..
Re: Why Enugu Airport May Not Be Profitable by Abagworo(m): 9:34pm On Aug 11, 2013
asha 80: bagworo you be funny guy o...is asaba an intertional airport?why not allow the private airlines decide is enugu is profitable..

I'm only a concerned Igbo man that thinks all Igbos need to support Enugu Airport to be successful and it is being misinterpreted as a verdict. Maybe Asaba and Port-Harcourt will be barred from international travel but in the long run, they will eventually be granted international status.

NB I didn't write about profitability but traffic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Igbo Scare: Southern Cameroon Hate For The Igbo Led To Secession From Nigeria / Top 10 Richest Politicians In Nigeria / Pictures Of Bandits Roaming The Streets Of Katsina Fully Armed-photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.