Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,628 members, 7,955,302 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 09:56 PM

I Want To Change My Name - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / I Want To Change My Name (18422 Views)

A Call To Change "My Children Will Not Suffer What I Suffered" Syndrome / My Boyfriend Demands I Change My Church After Marriage / Help! My Husband Wants Me To Change My Name From Ndidi To Sinmisola. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Change My Name by krazynaija(m): 12:00pm On Jun 03, 2008
How do I go about it? Please reply.
Re: I Want To Change My Name by SeanT21(f): 12:31am On Jun 04, 2008
Change what name? User name or real name?

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Name by krazynaija(m): 10:23am On Jun 04, 2008
my real name,both first name and surname
Re: I Want To Change My Name by enque(f): 11:37am On Jun 04, 2008
Why do you want to change it?
Re: I Want To Change My Name by demi2008(f): 11:39am On Jun 04, 2008
All you need to do is go to the high court and swear an affidavit saying you have changed from your old name and wish to be known by your new name, and u show your affidavit anywhere you want to present any documentation in your old name.

That is all. It's as simple as that.

4 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Name by FMK(m): 11:42am On Jun 04, 2008
you suppose to be Bin laden affiliate. you will also need to change your face
Re: I Want To Change My Name by krazynaija(m): 9:30am On Jun 05, 2008
im a christian but my dad is a muslim,its also a yoruba name and im not yoruba,the name sucks to me and other silly reasons

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Name by Afribiz(f): 10:32am On Jun 05, 2008
krazynaija:

im a christian but my dad is a a great one,its also a yoruba name and im not yoruba,the name sucks to me and other silly reasons

How come? Your dad is yoruba, and you're not? You need to explain more please. But in any case, just as demi said, go to the high court and swear an affidafit; you can also place it on the newspapers. Keep the documents for future reference.

Then go ahead and bear your new name. It's a free world, you know!

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Name by twinstaiye(m): 11:17am On Jun 05, 2008
Return back to the womb, come back again as a newborn and get another name. grin cool
For God's sake everybody knows what to do to have a name changed. If he cant think of any of those ways, i just stated one. You can make use of that.
Re: I Want To Change My Name by dee02(m): 12:08pm On Jun 05, 2008
why do u want to change your name?

or is your name obasanjo or ibori or alams or abacha? cool

1 Like

Re: I Want To Change My Name by shylladear(f): 12:36pm On Jun 05, 2008
Why do u want to change ur name?
and wat is ur name so we can know if it is realy worth going through all the stress of changing a name.
Re: I Want To Change My Name by favcom(m): 12:44pm On Jun 05, 2008
What's the intention behind this
Hope it's not because you're trying to hide sha shocked
Re: I Want To Change My Name by Jonnyville(m): 1:18pm On Jun 05, 2008
Please my guy let's get the full gist,
1. Wot is ur Name
2. Wot is ur Surname
3. How come ur papa is Yoruba & u are not

or is it dat u were "adopted"

Supply me dis details and i'll take it up 4rm here.

Funny Lot grin grin grin
Re: I Want To Change My Name by Jonnyville(m): 1:27pm On Jun 05, 2008
Please my guy let's get the full gist,
1. Wot is ur Name
2. Wot is ur Surname
3. How come ur papa is Yoruba & u are not

or is it dat u were "adopted"

Supply me dis details and i'll take it up 4rm here.

Funny Lot grin grin grin
Re: I Want To Change My Name by abasifo(m): 2:02pm On Jun 05, 2008
Change of name

How to change your name
Evidence of change of name

How to change your name

If you wish to be known by a different name you can change your name at any time, provided you do not intend to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure to follow in order to change a name. You simply start using the new name. You can change your forename or surname, add names or rearrange your existing names.

Although there is no legal way to change a name, you may want evidence that you have changed your name (see under heading Evidence of change of name). However, you cannot change details on your birth certificate, except in limited circumstances.

Changing details on a birth certificate can be complicated. If you wish to do this you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by e-mail, click on nearest CAB.

Once you have decided to change your name, you can use the new name for all purposes, for example, publishing marriage bans, legal proceedings and obtaining, or changing details on a driving licence or passport.

Changing a child’s name

A child’s name can be changed at any time, provided it is not to deceive or defraud another person. There is no legal procedure which must be followed in order to change a child’s name, providing all the people who need to give their consent have done so. The parent simply starts using the new name. A child’s forename or surname can be changed, names can be added or rearranged.

Although there is no legal way to change a child’s name, you may need evidence that a child’s name has been changed (see under heading Evidence of change of name). However, the details on a child’s birth certificate cannot be changed, except in limited circumstances.

Changing details on a child’s birth certificate can be complicated. If you wish to do so you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB.

If you are a child or young person under 16 your consent does not have to be given for your name to be changed. However, if you object to your name being changed you can apply for a court order to prevent the change, provided the court is satisfied that you have sufficient understanding of what is involved.

As a child or young person under 16 you cannot change your surname without your parent’s consent.

Once a child’s name has been changed it can be used for all purposes, such as starting school and registering with a GP. However, evidence may be required (see under heading Evidence of change of name).

Who can change a child’s name

You have to have parental responsibility to change a child's name. A birth mother will always have parental responsibility for the child but other people may have parental responsibility too. For example, if the parents of a child are married, both will have parental responsibility. An unmarried

Evidence of change of name

You do not need legal proof that you have changed your name, provided that you can be identified by your new chosen name. However, there are some circumstances, for example, applying for a passport, when additional evidence of the change of name is required. The evidence required varies depending on the purpose for which it is needed and can include:-

a letter from a responsible person
a public announcement
a statutory declaration
a deed poll.

Letter

A letter from a responsible person, such as a GP, solicitor, minister, priest or MP, will often be enough evidence that you have changed your name. The letter should state that the person has known you in both names and that the change of name is to be used for all purposes. A letter will not be enough evidence if you are applying for a UK passport.

Public announcement

You may want to record your name change by placing an advertisement in a local or national newspaper. This should state that you have stopped using your previous name and have assumed a new one. A copy of the advertisement can then be used as evidence that you have changed your name.

Statutory declaration

For most purposes, a statutory declaration is generally accepted as evidence of your change of name.

A statutory declaration is a statement, recording your intention to abandon your old name and adopt a new one.

Preparing a statutory declaration can be complicated. If you want to prove your change of name by making a statutory declaration you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB.

Deed poll

A deed poll is a formal statement to prove that your name has been changed. For most people it will not be necessary to prepare a deed poll as evidence that they have changed their name. However, there may be cases when a deed poll is required. For example, some professional bodies require members to produce a deed poll as proof of any name change.

As a child or young person under 18 you can only have your change of name recorded by deed poll by a person who has parental responsibility for you. However, if you are over 16, this can only be done with your consent.

For more information about parental responsibility, see Children at the end of your relationship in Ending a relationship when you're living together or Children at the end of a civil partnership in Ending a civil partnership.

Changing your name by deed poll can be complicated. If you want to use a deed poll as evidence of change of name you should consult an experienced adviser, for example, at a Citizens Advice Bureau. To search for details of your nearest CAB, including those that can give advice by email, click on nearest CAB.
Re: I Want To Change My Name by everchris(m): 2:41pm On Jun 05, 2008
twinstaiye:

Return back to the womb, come back again as a newborn and get another name. grin cool
For God's sake everybody knows what to do to have a name changed. If he can't think of any of those ways, i just stated one. You can make use of that.
That was so funny. I just wonder what the name is and how it sounds. It must sound very funny for u to want to change it. Anyways they have told u what to do. Good luck
Re: I Want To Change My Name by sheniqua: 3:20pm On Jun 05, 2008
Nigerians can be so silly sometimes
The guy wants to change his name.
what's all these questions why he's changing his name.
If you can't help him, just leave him alone.

@ poster just go to the local high court, I'm sure they'll tell you what to do

me sef I don taya for this sheniqua of a name

8 Likes

Re: I Want To Change My Name by Esss(m): 6:05pm On Jun 05, 2008
Could I suggest some cool names

SURNAME; Ezra, Nicodemus, Lazarus

FIRST NAME; Obediah, zacchues, nebucchadenezar

these are cool chistian names wink
Re: I Want To Change My Name by Nobody: 7:35pm On Jun 05, 2008
dee02:

why do u want to change your name?

or is your name obasanjo or ibori or alams or abacha? cool

yeye man
wetin be your own? Yaradua?
hehehe
Re: I Want To Change My Name by kaypound(m): 10:22pm On Jun 05, 2008
Esss:

Could I suggest some cool names

SURNAME; Ezra, Nicodemus, Lazarus

FIRST NAME; Obediah, zacchues, nebucchadenezar

these are cool chistian names wink

LMAO.
nice One.

i can volunteer to be your reverend father and i hereby name you JUDAS
Re: I Want To Change My Name by royalicon(m): 11:38pm On Jun 05, 2008
He who want to change his name, now the reason.

I think he want to 'dis-father' that Yoruba man. lol grin

I beg, go court.
Re: I Want To Change My Name by denony(m): 7:05am On Jun 06, 2008
u can change it to IFECHIDERE or ABDULAHI

But there must something behind the change of name, hope you are not trying to become a member of the cabinet.
Re: I Want To Change My Name by FMK(m): 7:18am On Jun 06, 2008
take this best names

PRETORIUS HILARIUS
NIKOLA SARKOZY
MUHAMED WAHALA
Re: I Want To Change My Name by showbobo(m): 8:35am On Jun 06, 2008
Y'all should get serious and stop mocking the poor boy undecided undecided undecided
Re: I Want To Change My Name by coolier(f): 10:38am On Jun 06, 2008
Why would anybody just wake up one day and decide to change his name? Beats me! Goodluck all the same.
Re: I Want To Change My Name by spora1: 2:09pm On Jun 06, 2008
*****thinking*******

Smart guy!
He must be an Ibo guy
I don't believe his claim of his father being a Yorubaman
B.4 you kno am
You go don d.ey hear
I am Cantonment Obama
Broda to US Presi . . . . . . . . .
Naija! d.em wise, no be small!
I bow!

@ crazyman . . . . sorry krazynaija
bros, No 4.get me when the deal click o.
i dey pray 4 una o
May the police no catch u
Re: I Want To Change My Name by krazynaija(m): 5:28pm On Jun 06, 2008
coolier:

Why would anybody just wake up one day and decide to change his name? Beats me! Goodluck all the same.
bros.na madness oh !
spora1:

*****thinking*******

Smart guy!
He must be an Ibo guy
B.4 you kno am
You go don d.ey hear
I am Cantonment Obama
I bow!

@ crazyman . . . . sorry krazynaija
bros, No 4.get me when the deal click o.
i dey pray 4 una o
May the police no catch u

ol'boy thatz a good idea oh!

FMK:

take this best names

PRETORIUS HILARIUS
NIKOLA SARKOZY
MUHAMED WAHALA
i think muhamed wahala is da BOMB!

thanks peeps for yor concern the reason might not make sense to you guys but it does to me.
  I didnt mean my dad is a yoruba man oh!
  my papa is from edo dtate while my mama is from delta state.but i have a yoruba name,another reason is that i am a christian and my dad is a a great one(non-practising).

now you can imagine me going to church and when my name is asked i will start telling stories that last a long time because i always present a a great one name and the same thing happened to me all through mysecondary school dayz when teachers ask my name,religion and state of origin. and i want my kids to have cool names.
the name is not really bad but i just don't feel cool with it.

the names are IBRAHIM IFEANYICHUKWU SALAWU(the combinations cause controversy too angry )
favcom:

What's the intention behind this
Hope it's not because you're trying to hide sha shocked

i no dey hide o.

all the steps to change my name seem very long now and may cause trouble oh.so i have decided to postpone it till after my school,that till when i get a job and im settled.

the name i want to change to is MARTIN FOXX BROWN
                                                    THANKS GUYZ
Re: I Want To Change My Name by ayomifull(f): 6:41pm On Jun 06, 2008
krazynaija:

the name i want to change to is MARTIN FOXX BROWN

To say you dey live for obodoyinbo i for know the reason. lol
Re: I Want To Change My Name by spikedcylinder: 6:20pm On Jun 08, 2008
spora1:

*****thinking*******

Smart guy!
He must be an Ibo guy
B.4 you kno am
You go don d.ey hear
I am Cantonment Obama
I bow!

Oh my. . .this is so freaking funny!!!! I'm laughing so hard.

@krazynaija, sorry o but you have such an unfortunate and ridiculous combination of names. Na wa o!

Just for enlightenment purposes though, what do you mean bu "Great One"?
Re: I Want To Change My Name by ifyalways(f): 10:44pm On Jun 08, 2008
spikedcylinder:

Just for enlightenment purposes though, what do you mean bu "Great One"?

"little one" it ought to be.Thats the site administrators new language for Mus"lim,Is"lam,Moha"mmed and everything that got to do with the little religion.
@Topic,good to hear u have found a name.Martin Foxx Brown cheesy
Re: I Want To Change My Name by donkay(m): 10:40am On Jun 09, 2008
Bros, is ur name Atutupuyoyo or Erinlakatabu? grin grin grin grin
Re: I Want To Change My Name by mamaput(f): 7:15pm On Jun 09, 2008
if you do not like your fathers name why not take your mothers name or grandmothers name, why a made up name .

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Child Spacing / Pregnancy: How Did This Happen Again? / Unmarried, Childless Women Are Happiest People Of All, Says Expert

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.