Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,294 members, 7,836,285 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Touching Lives - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Touching Lives (1361 Views)

Love Or Wealth- An Interesting And Touching Story / We Are Able(a Touching Story) / MI's Touching Piece for Murdered UNIPORT Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Touching Lives by Iyandasdiary(m): 6:09pm On Aug 12, 2013
Touching lives

I wake up most times full of life, ready to go , happy and looking forward to a new day which I start of by thanking God for seeing me through the night. I begin my daily duties and bury myself into various assignments that I must carry out. As each day comes to an end, I usually, begin to have such feeling that I am yet, unfulfilled. I keep seeing myself as someone who hasn’t tried his best especially for people that are in need.

Just as the day wears out, I am filled with thoughts, worries and anxiety over what I have, want and need to do even though I try to follow my to do list of the day. My thoughts are clouded about things and people that mean the world to me, thinking of what difference I could make in their lives.

I try as much as possible to speak to people I meet daily with words of encouragement, advising them in the little way I can. But is that really enough, I keep asking myself. What can I do better to help people, touch lives and make a difference? That’s just what my mind yeans for .Even though I have some ideas yet, I find myself caught up in my own world. Trying so hard to make it in life, be successful, financially stable and also where does the balance come in as an individual?

I keep asking myself “what can I do better?” “What service can I render to people around me to make them a better people?” This is all I want to do but how? I find it difficult to do what my heart wants because I am so drown in my own waters that I can’t see other people. I feel I haven’t met all my own needs so I put others aside till I’m through with myself. When exactly will I be through with my own self?

I’m sure you think I’m selfish. I’ve also thought of that too. Am I really selfish? Can I, out of my tight and busy schedule squeeze time to help others out? I reasoned deep and I’m out with a conclusion that I can actually help people even if I have to make a little sacrifice. Am I even strong enough to shelf some of my goals too and touch lives the way I would like to. Hmmm! life o life, the questions keep coming. I just know I need to help people.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not just about financial help I am talking about. I just wonder why I am not so committed to doing simple things like helping the needy or less privileged to accomplish simple things. My main excuse is like my time is not even enough for me.

I got this bbm chat from a friend recently and I like to share the excerpt with you. it goes thus: ‘I have been receiving this BC from a couple of folks and I think it’s worth sharing…that your neighbour, whose children go to school with torn uniforms that cost only 5k, have you changed it for them? That your friend who just flashed you because he didn’t have N20 airtime, have you sent N200 airtime to him? That your office colleague who didn’t go for lunch today because he is broke, did you share your lunch with him? Those numerous shirts in your wardrobe that you have not touched for the past one year, have you given all of them out to people who will wear them every day? Because it had be the only one they have got? That girl that sells recharge card to you every day, do you even know her name? Do you know your gateman may not have taken his bath with soap this morning because he couldn’t afford to buy N30 lux? ….’’ It ended by saying ‘…help someone today’.

I find this chat very instructive indeed. I have always prided myself as being a giver. In fact, I feel a sense of satisfaction each time I make someone happy through a kind deed. I know that I stand no chance of winning a prize for the most generous personality in the universe (if there was any prize like that). Yet, I am always compassionate enough to help people in need, if I can afford to.

But just how far can one go to help people and touch their lives. I know of people who will give their last kobo to someone in need even if it means they themselves go hungry. Bill gates at the instance of losing world richest man status has given out an estimated 28 billion dollars to charity. That is more than one third of his total fortune. Yes, you might say he has the money. But how many rich men today can afford to give out even ten percent of their fortune? Well, I know I can hardly do a fraction of what he has done given his means. That is why, each time I read of such deeds (and challenges like that of the bbm chat), I cannot help but see my selfishness accentuated. Do you find yourself in this position too? Where you feel like doing more, but lack the will to do, because you think you have your own needs to meet.
It has now gotten to a stage where I don’t know if I’m being too hard on myself.

Have I done just enough that I didn’t realize it? No! I haven’t done anything. No wonder I envy the great people who are brave enough to make impact in the lives of people even at the expense of their wealth. Some even sacrifice with all their power and energy for people to benefit from them. Can I be like those people? I’m sure I can. The question is how can I?

We are all guilty. We are too busy to visit our sick relative in the hospital, too tired to pray for others, too laid back to speak kind words to those who are down, too judgmental to encourage those who have made terrible mistakes and too preoccupied with our own thoughts to smile to a stranger who needs love.

Just how far can you go to touch someone’s life? Share your honest opinion.

IYANDA

SOURCE :www.iyandasdiary.com

(1) (Reply)

LOST - A Short Story / It's Tough Being A Broke Guy In Naija / Pandemic Affair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.