Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,749 members, 7,817,079 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 03:41 AM

Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question (2586 Views)

Buhari At Katsina Provincial Secondary School(photo) / Pic:Buhari With His Classmates +Teachers At Kaduna Provincial 2ndary Sch In 1961 / Throwback Photos:Gen. Buhari When He Was A Student Of Katsina Provincial School (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 5:18am On May 29, 2006
Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question.

Note:This is a very important Thread. . . Post!

These are my ideas for a peaceful solution to the Nigerian question. The basic make-up of the country is already known by most of the readers of the political section of this country. So, with the ethnic diversity and close-held feelings of oppression that complicate things in the country, it only make sense that switching to a Confederation system of Government would be more beneficial to the country. This is the basic system that can be implemented with minimal adjustment while avoiding actions that could place the country in civil war.

The country would re-institute the provincial system that had worked fairly well during the pre-independence era. Each of the three provinces would have it's parliament and Prime minister. Within each Province would be States (basically the current States with a few adjustments if needed). Each of the three Provinces would be allowed by law to have an army of no more than 100,000 men. The control of the Provincial army would be given to the Minister of Defense that is appointed by a majority vote in the Provincial parliament.

The key to this system is to reduce feelings of marginalization and create a greater degree of fairness in the country. Each State keeps 60 percent of what ever they make. 30 percent of the individual State's revenue is sent to the Provincial Government of their respective regions. The remaining 10 percent is sent to the office of the Presidency to fund inter-provincial projects and handle foreign affairs.

Western Province=
Lagos
Edo
Ogun
Oyo
Osun
Kwara
Ekiti
Ondo
Western Part of Kogi
Delta

Eastern Province=
Enugu
Anambra
Ebonyi
Cross River
Abia
Imo
Akwa Ibom
Rivers

Northern Province=
Sokoto
Kebbi
Zamfara
Katsina
Kano
Gigawa
Yobe
Borno
Gombe
Kaduna
Plateau

National Capital
Abuja (Also the home of the Presidencial office and meeting place to settle disputes between regions).

The remaining un-mentioned States would get a referendum to decide what region they wish to be a part of. However, the spliting up of the State would be allowed to happen along local government lines in States where the division varies greatly between LG.

Now that the provinces are set-up, elections can be held to fill the Provincial Parliament. The Parliament of the provinces then elects the ministers (Note: The Prime Minister of the Parliament can fire all/individual ministers and call for the Parliamentary vote of new ministers). The minister of Defence would be in charge of the armed forces and would unable to run for any political post once he has served in this position.

The three parliaments then get together and elects the President of the nation who would serve as the foreign minister and chief elder to settle disputes between regions. The president would hold no real power.

All laws passed by the Provincial Parliament can be rejected by a 2/3rds majority in the assembly on the State Level. All States are also free to make their own laws unless it contradicts the Provincial laws. In which case, they would have to get a 2/3 support to bar the Provincial laws from affecting their State.

Let me know what you guys think of this solution that would keep Nigeria intact while reducing feelings of marginalization and oppression within the parties of the country. Also, let me know of any modification you might have to the idea.

Note: With the increased strenght of the States, if there is a problem in within a particular area, the Provincial authority and the State/States invovled now has the resources to handle it quickly. The current system would mean waiting for weeks for the over-large, and clumsy Federal Government to make all sorts of consentions that fail to solve the underlying problem of the particular area. This kind of mentality breeds corruption.

Related: Should Nigeria Be Divided?
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by Zahymaka(m): 7:25am On May 29, 2006
I think that's a worthy solution. I think you are however, unconsciously making one of the mistakes Westerners make with regard to which States belong where.

The Rivers State people would prefer to make their own choice. Grouping them with the East [a region they're not so friendly with] could be misconstrued as the Igbos trying to get their oil.

On the other hand, Delta [an oil producing state] is with the West. I'm from Delta myself but we've always been friendly with the West wink. The North could interpret it to mean the West and the East each have one major oil-producing state while they're left with the encroaching Sahara.

As far-fetched as it sounds, don't be surprised if they demand Bayelsa as their due grin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 7:34am On May 29, 2006
Thank you very much for you insight. All states would still get revenue from off-shore oil revenue. The map is a work in progress and any additional on the ground information that you have on the various Niger-Deltan areas would be greatly appreciated.

As for the Rivers State desire to make their own choice, they can. However, I will really like to keep the 3 regional set-up that the British used to govern Nigeria. This current system that I have set-up would make the individual States (36 or so) a lot stronger than they are now.

With this system, States can tailor their laws however they like, as long as they have the 2/3rd support. So even if Rivers is a part of the East, they can still decide to do away with all the laws of the Eastern Province in favor of their own versions of the law (Still have to pay the 30 percent Tax to the Province and 10 percent Tax to the Federal Government. Also need the 2/3rd majority to override the Provincial laws in your State).

The Northern regions would also benefit from laws like this. The States over there would have the power to allow their traditional culture and customs to have a greater influence on their laws. So, it won't be like they are forcefully corrupted by western ideals that are prevalent in the southern portion of the country.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 7:45am On May 29, 2006
I feel this is a really solid proposal. And it is moderate enough to get broad support from all parts of the country. I am still interested in altering a few things on this idea, but I will wait for additional comments from posters before I begin to tweak it.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by Zahymaka(m): 7:48am On May 29, 2006
There's going to be some controversy over the capitals for the zones. The Northerners have no problem -- they bow to the Sokoto caliphate. For the West, it's most likely going to Lagos. The East? grin grin

Afeni, I'm off to bed. Will contribute more later today when I'm clear-headed.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 7:52am On May 29, 2006
I was going to recommend capitals for each Province, but I think it would be best to just carve out a new Provincial capital that would be located somewhere in the centre of the Province. It would be like a mini-oderly city that can be used to host provincial and national event. It should also be relative low in population and super efficient. All international events would be held in the Confederational Capital Territory (Abuja). The CCT would be under the control of the President and would be guarded by a multi-provincial force comprising of about 6 thousand guards (2 thousand from each Province) which would swear allegiance to the CCT and President.

Note:Each province will still be allowed to build an army of up to 100,000 (This includes the Airforce an Navy).

But before these mini capitals can be built, the Western Province can use Lagos as their capital. Jos for the Northern Province and Enugu for the Eastern Province.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 10:25am On May 29, 2006
I am adding a map to give you readers a better idea of what pre-independence Nigeria looked like. Click on the link to see the map.

http://www.waado.org/nigerian_scholars/archive/pubs/wilber1_map1.html

Note: Kwara, which is located directly above the western-Region, is not included as part of the Western region because the british did not want to take away newly invaded territories from the Caliphates. They still refused to add Kwara (Vast majority of the territory that is directly between the western region and River Niger to the North) even after massive protests by the people of Kwara and the Tiv ethnic group (land directly north-central of Niger river) in support of joining the western Region. It is for that reason that i included the people of Kwara and hopefully, if they are still interested, the tiv of the southern part of Niger State can be included into the western Province in the proposal to form a Confederacy.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by Seun(m): 3:59am On Jun 01, 2006
I'm glad that you've decided to consider the peaceful option!
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by bagoma(f): 5:59am On Jun 04, 2006
Afeni, why 3 regions as opposed to the 6 geopolitical regions we now have?
and your sharing formula, only 10% to the center?

now, this might address the problem of marginalisation but how will it address corruption which is the bane of the nigerian society?
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by bagoma(f): 6:04am On Jun 04, 2006
another thing,
zahymaka mentioned oil as major criteria for spliting the states into the regions.
did you consider the possession other mineral resources? and what other factors did you use in forming your regions?
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 6:07am On Jun 04, 2006
Bagoma, the regional system would create healthy competition. As for the 3 regions instead of 6, you have to keep in mind that the 3 regions are more true to reality than the 6 geopolitical regions that the northerners implemented. You see, the northeners have a lot more ethnic groups in their region, so they divided the country into 6 geopolitical zones to weaken the southern region which is more homogenous.

This would reduce corruption because the people in the 3 region are more likely to actually care about the what goes on in their part of the country. I don't know about you, but I really couldn't care less what happens in Kaduna or Kano. But I am interested in what happens in Niger, Kwara and Oyo e.t.c. because the people in those regions are close to the south west.

This way, people are actually actively involved in what goes on, and they are better able to see benefits of their hard work.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 6:13am On Jun 04, 2006
Bagoma, the core concept for this region is the system that the British use in pre-independence Nigeria. Under the regional system (used by the British) the 3 regions (West, East and North) were independent from each other.

Now, I altered the forms of the regions because certain facts were ignored by the British. For instance, the people of Kwara are Yoruba and they were not included in the western region. Also, Yoruba, Urobo, Edo and other groups in the western region trace many of their kings to the Nupe peoples of Niger State (Majority ethnic group in this State). So, using on the ground knowledge, certain groups are added/subtracted from the original regions.

Mineral resources played no part in the formation of zones. You don't need mineral resources to build a successful society. All you need is nationalism and the desire to work for the benefit of your Region.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by bagoma(f): 6:23am On Jun 04, 2006
You don't need mineral resources to build a successful society. All you need is nationalism and the desire to work for the benefit of your Region.

tell that to the north. cheesy cheesy

now seriously who would believe you when over 90% of our revenue is due to oil. dont we need revenue to build a better society?

i have to sign out now, my isp time slot is up. will love to continue later.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 6:32am On Jun 04, 2006
Nigeria's 90 percent revenue coming from oil is due to lack of nationalism on the part of the citizens and the leadership. Its no secret that when you go to the market, people ask for foreign made goods. That right there is enough to commit economic suicide. If the people of a country are unwilling to buy locally produced items, how do you expect foreigners to even consider buying our goods?

Regionalism would help boost the sense of pride in the country, and reduce feelings of marginalization.

The Northern province, as well as the Western and Eastern province, will still contine to get money from oil that is taken out from the waters off the coast of Nigeria. cool
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by bagoma(f): 9:17pm On Jun 04, 2006
well i really do not see how this system will check corruption, afterall corruption is still rife in the states now where their monthly allocation is far less than what is spelt out in your model.
i do not know for sure what the present sharing formula is but i do know of the 13% derivation formula hence the assumption that there is a far greater percentage of revenue available to the states. now if corruption is thick now, how much more then?

now how do we address the problem of secession with this system of govt? the risk is much higher with the confederation system than what we have now, don't you think?
if each province has its own army of up to 100,000 thousand men, and the center can boast of of only about 60,000 or did you say 6,000? what happens if a region decides she wants out?
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 9:30pm On Jun 04, 2006
If a region decides to succeed, so be it. What is the problem?

Economically speaking, the regions would benefit from free trade and a common currency if they stay within the union. They also get to use Abuja if they need to host foreign events. If they secede, they lose access to Abuja and that includes all the money and assets they have in Abuja.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by Seun(m): 9:42pm On Jun 04, 2006
Well that is exactly what led to the civil war. You are asking us to move 'forward' to the past.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 10:07pm On Jun 04, 2006
Seun, there is a difference. This time, if any region decides to leave, let them. Are you truly trying to tell me that Biafra would not have been better off than present day Nigeria?
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by Seun(m): 10:16pm On Jun 04, 2006
We will never know the answer to that question, but the present day Nigeria is also a product of Biafra. Without Biafra, maybe Igbos won't feel 'marginalized' so much? We will never know that also, but certainly nothing is worth the wastage of millions of lives unless of course the people wasted are stupid secessionists who don't value life.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 10:23pm On Jun 04, 2006
Well, I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees. So, if that makes me a stupid secessionist, so be it.

What I am trying to do with this post is create a peaceful to help resolve some of the issues that faces the abomination we call Nigeria. If left unsolved, things are only going to get worst.

Like I said before, we are the only ones playing fools with our little fake borders/nations. Why don't you combine southern Germany, Eastern France, Holland and Luxembourg. Even with that, the borders of that new country would still be more real than the crap the bloody British made when they created Nigeria.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by Seun(m): 10:27pm On Jun 04, 2006
It's allin your mind. I have come accross many Igbos in Lagos and they are just like Yorubas except for language.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 10:32pm On Jun 04, 2006
I have many Igbo friends in Lagos as well. But the main motive for this is not about the Igbos or the Yorubas. It is about the Northerners who have too little in common with the southern people. Heck, their language is not even in the same family group as the languages of the southern Nigerians. These people are too different in just about all aspects for a credible society to be formed with them. It is best we go our separate ways.

Now, if the Northern section of the country only made up 20 percent or less of the population, they could more easily assimilate into the southern way of doing things. However, population is about 50/50 which makes it difficult for any dominant line of thought to develop. You cannot build a society with out dominant lines of thought. Name one thing that all Nigerians have in common other than the fact that some foreigners wrecked our society by lumping us with people we hate?
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by Zahymaka(m): 10:45pm On Jun 04, 2006
Afeni:

Now, if the Northern section of the country only made up 20 percent or less of the population, they could more easily assimilate into the southern way of doing things. However, population is about 50/50 which makes it difficult for any dominant line of thought to develop.

I don't think so. Remember how the North wanted just a head count without regard to ethnic group and religion for the census? That shows that the majority of people who live in the North are not Northerners.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 10:51pm On Jun 04, 2006
Zahymaka, I was under the impression than more people migrated to the south than to the north. Either way, once the census figures are made public this month, all the southern States (Particularly lagos) will get an healthy boost in representation in the National Assembly.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by bagoma(f): 11:13pm On Jun 04, 2006
i think you've made your views clearer Afeni. you're all for a breakup of this country.
i am igbo and i do not want a split in the nation.
all i want is a sense of belonging, fairness and equity. the way forward isnt retracing our steps backward.
Afeni:

Economically speaking, the regions would benefit from free trade and a common currency if they stay within the union. They also get to use Abuja if they need to host foreign events. If they secede, they lose access to Abuja and that includes all the money and assets they have in Abuja.

if its economically beneficial to stay united then it becomes a problem if one region decides to breakaway.
for me secession is a resounding NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Name one thing that all Nigerians have in common other than the fact that some foreigners wrecked our society by lumping us with people we hate?
i dont think we hate one another. no its the sense of injustice that we despise and that leads to the revolts in form of religious and ethnic clashes.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 11:24pm On Jun 04, 2006
Bagoma, I am sure your views are in no way shaped due to your residency in a region that you do not belong to. But sure, we don't need your help for the actualization of the State.

Enjoy your one Nigeria, but don't go to Kaduna because they enjoy killing Igbos over there. angry
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by bagoma(f): 11:38pm On Jun 04, 2006
so there are no igbos living in kaduna anymore? shocked

who says i dont belong to this region where i reside? its part and parcel of this great nation and thats the beauty, i belong! apart from this, i was born here and have lived here all my life if that doesnt make me a part, i wonder what else?

your true self becomes clearer with every post.
your conferation theory is a grand cover-up for your secession bid. ahah! cool
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by Zahymaka(m): 11:53pm On Jun 04, 2006
I'm with bagoma on that one. Afeni, has it occurred to you how hard it's going to be to break Nigeria up into different countries?

Easterners have thriving businesses in the North, have bought land in Abuja and elsewhere. Same goes with Southerners, Westerners and Northerners in other locations.

On a comic note, if you're a great suya eater like me, would you want your favorite suya seller to relocate to Sokoto where you'll never have the opportunity to taste his mouth-watering stuff grin grin grin grin?
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by DaHitler(m): 11:54pm On Jun 04, 2006
I don't eat meat.

As for the difficulty to break up, I don't care. The end result would justify the hardship.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by bagoma(f): 12:02am On Jun 05, 2006
@ zahymaka, oh i love suya cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy,
afeni doesnt know what his missing lol wink cheesy

well since you're all for a split, i guess there's no point talking about moving NIGERIA forward here, is there? ( i erroneously thought thats what this thread is about)

the picture of a divided nigeria in my mind is too gloomy to imagine. angry
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by ono(m): 12:09pm On Jun 05, 2006
I just can't believe why you folks think breaking up will be fraught with so many ''evils''. This break up doesn't and wouldn't lead to you forfeiting what you have elsewhere. Ok, I'll explain:

There are Nigerians in other countries who own landed properties and are doing legitimate business (e.g. UK, US, Liberia, etc etc), right? If we break up, and you have landed properties in Warri or Portharcourt, and you happen to be a Yoruba or Hausa man, there is no reason here on earth why you cannot lay claim to them. The only thing that will change is your status. You will not be an indigene of the new country. But the option to nationalise, if you like, will be open. Just as it is obtained in the US and UK, and elsewhere.

If the suya man feels like staying in this new country, fine, let him stay. No one will cut him with a matchette when he's committed no offence. No country can be an island to itself. She has to mix with others to survive. We in the Delta will even welcome folks who can help us explore/exploit our oil resources properly from other areas and get paid for their services. Now what's wrong with that one?

You folks think you'd be chased out of your homes and all that blablabla things happening to your belongings, right? Well I'll say you'd be ''dissappointed'' at the goodies that will come your way in the new arrangement.

You guys just love making a mountain out of a mole hill, and I just get fed up with the ways you people look at things.
Re: Provincial System: Peaceful Solution To The Nigerian Question by Seun(m): 12:42pm On Jun 05, 2006
Em, Ono, you must have a lot of experience with breaking up countries to be able to make this claim.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Imo State Govt Floats Airline, Purchases Three Aircraft / Maryam Ibrahim Babangida By Augustus Aikhomu / Pfizer Evil Antics In Kano Exposed By Wikileaks

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.