Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,712 members, 7,809,699 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:28 PM

Court Changed Her Baby's Name From Messiah To Martin - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Court Changed Her Baby's Name From Messiah To Martin (714 Views)

Judge Orders Parent To Change Their Baby’s Name From ‘messiah’ To ‘martin’ / Judge Orders Baby's Name Changed From "Messiah" To "Martin" / Tunde Bakare's Prophecy Of The Nigerian Messiah (to Be Fulfilled Very Soon) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Changed Her Baby's Name From Messiah To Martin by GraphicsPlus(m): 4:26am On Aug 13, 2013
A judge in the US has ordered a baby's first name to be changed from Messiah to Martin, arguing that the only true messiah is Jesus Christ, reports say.

The parents of seven-month old Messiah DeShawn Martin had gone to court in Tennessee over his last name.

But Child Support Magistrate Lu Ann Ballew ordered the first name changed too, local broadcaster WBIR-TV said.

Last year more than 700 babies were named Messiah in the US, according to the Social Security Administration.

Christianity sees Jesus as the Messiah, while Judaism uses the term to mean an anticipated saviour of the Jews.

Dictionary definitions say the word can mean anyone seen as a saviour or a liberator.

'No choice'
The judge in Cocke County said the name Messiah could cause the boy difficulties if he grew up in a predominantly Christian area.

"It could put him at odds with a lot of people and at this point he has had no choice in what his name is," Judge Ballew said.

She was able to make the order because the parents were already in a child support hearing in a dispute over what their son's last name should be.

Instead the judge ruled that the baby was to be named Martin DeShawn McCullough, which includes both parents' last name.

"The word Messiah is a title and it's a title that has only been earned by one person and that one person is Jesus Christ," she said.

The baby's mother, Jaleesa Martin, told WBIR she would appeal against the judge's order.

"I didn't think a judge could change my baby's name because of her religious beliefs," she said.

She said she chose the name not because of its religious connotations, but because she liked how it sounded with her two other children's names, Micah and Mason.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23665106
Re: Court Changed Her Baby's Name From Messiah To Martin by GraphicsPlus(m): 4:32am On Aug 13, 2013
So what exactly is this woman driving at? Let me guess.

1. She is a Christian and really love the Lord and in order to keep reminding people that Jesus Christ is the Messiah, she named her son messiah so that as people call his name, they will somehow remember Jesus Christ who is the true and only Messiah.

2. She is a 'Christian' who thinks that Jesus' Messiahship is overrated and so she wanted to prove to people that she doesn't care and that she can as well name her son 'messiah.'

3. She is not a Christian and so she thinks that it's foolishness to allow only Jesus Christ to be addressed as messiah and so she decided to name her son, messiah.

If number 1 guess is true, then I think she should not bother appealing the ruling. Let her name her son something like: 'Messiah is King' or 'My Messiah Lives'. Although I am afraid that such names are too long and looks weird and they are in fact my literal translation of some Igbo names to English. Maybe she should name her son, 'Salvation' or 'Joshua.'

If number 2 and 3 guesses are true, then she should know that it does not matter what she thinks or anybody for that matter thinks. Jesus Christ remains the only and true Messiah of mankind. The ruling of the judge did not even give solidarity to His Messiahship. He doesn't need any solidarity. He is still the only Saviour whether a judge rules in favour or against.

This US mother should know that Jesus Christ is not struggling to be recognized. He rules the kingdoms of men. He holds the destiny of every human being. He will ultimately decide the eternal destiny of each of us both the living and the dead. There is no other option. It's either you find Life through He who is the Resurrection and the Life or you find damnation by ignoring Him.

But since the mother said she only named her baby messiah just because the way the name sounds with the names of her two other children, I will also encourage her not to bother appealing the ruling. How can she name her baby a name simply because of the way the name sounds. If the names of her two other children are: Devis and Dennis, would she have named her baby, Devilish?

I must pause to salute the courage of this US judge for this landmark judgement. If a ruling like this can still come from US that is quickly abandoning God, then indeed there are still Americans who have not bowed to baals of this world. If this historic judgement can still come out from US whose President is campaigning for gay right all over the world and whose some of the citizens have started campaigning for pedophile right, then I believe there is hope and indeed God is working out His purpose as year succeeds to year and by the mouth of many messengers goes forth the voice of God. God has spoken through this US judge.
Re: Court Changed Her Baby's Name From Messiah To Martin by Techwriter: 5:53am On Aug 13, 2013
Answer anything you like including Jesus Christ we only know of one saviour, one way, one Gospel, one messiah. Jesus is the same with Joshua, in as much as I'm not in support of someone answering Messiah because it reminds me of the trick of the anti-christ but I'm not religious about it. What Jesus did for us goes beyond letters, gimmicks, semantics and playing on words.
Re: Court Changed Her Baby's Name From Messiah To Martin by Jccy(f): 6:22am On Aug 13, 2013
Watin d judge cun de form?
Re: Court Changed Her Baby's Name From Messiah To Martin by Djtm(m): 5:34pm On Aug 13, 2013
She's just on some bad nuts! Naming a child messiah?

(1) (Reply)

Why Do Ppl Open Wide Their Arm Wen Sharing Grace In Church / Ten Reasons Christians Should Not Celebrate Halloween / The Kingdom Umpire

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.