Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,011 members, 7,817,978 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? - Politics (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? (20540 Views)

Poll: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency?

I'll support him: 91% (126 votes)
I won't support him: 8% (12 votes)
This poll has ended

Babatunde Fashola And Donald Duke For President / Lets Rally Round To Support Donald Duke For President Come 2011 / PDP Pencils In Yar’adua, Duke For Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by kellybaba(m): 3:24pm On Nov 19, 2006
did i hear sum1 mention Grail Movement? WHat has that got 2 do wit d main subject of discourse here wch is quality Governance/Leadership.
Maybe i should remind u that ur so-called 'Born-again' Leaders in Aso Rock and their ilks are heavy Occult men and Vampires ! Their destructive impact on the lives of d ordinary people sure attests to the popular dictum that 'nothing good comes out of Evil".If u neva know,abeg Ask well and dem go tell U.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by cabali(m): 3:26pm On Nov 19, 2006
@ stanech are u in nigeria?

who tells u ur vote counts here? They dont man! be not deceived

how will u even know 80% of nigerians voted for duke when 95% of the voting is done in the houses of the powers that be?

wise up dawg! this country's politics aint normal
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by McKren(m): 12:10pm On Nov 22, 2006
Those who think Duke is soft are being decieved by his look, the man is a very strong willed person. If there is any governor who can strategically fight corruption without fear or favour he is the man. Its not about making noise.

Those who think he is from minority should spare us that trash, this is 2007 Nigeria let us enthrone him based on merit. Forget tribalism, our past leaders are not even tribalistic. What has IBB, Atiku, OBJ, Orji, Odili done for their people. Politicians are just exploiting ethnic differences to impoverish us none of them in the believe the least bit in tribalism. Orji in 2003 worked against Ekwueme today he is shouting Igbo Presidency!!!! All those governors shouting power should return to the North what did they do for their people. They only proclaim ethnic sentiments because they will be the eventual beneficiaries. As far as am concerned there are only two tribes in Nigeria, the Elite and the Masses so forget tribe.

Come to think of it most of those campaigning have not even told Nigerians their programmes except Duke. They have no Idea what to do with power.
BigB1's principal "IBB" wants to deploy his skills to mainatin the stability of Nigeria.
? IBB's Skills= Being part of every successful coup in nigeria's history
? Stability - Are we in a civil war, why do we need stability?
All these are trash the qualities IBB posses are not what anyone will desire in 2007 Nigeria. If there is any war we are faced with its that of poverty and unemployment which he IBB laid foundation to, damn !!! I said I will not type about IBB anymore cos he is a non issue.

Odili has no other idea other than to share oil money equitably, that tells you what a laim duck president he will be.
Others aint even worth discussing because all they know is sustaining President Olusegun Obasanjo's economic reforms without telling us how to go about it.

The truth is that Donald Duke is out best bet, Pat Utomi should have gone to senate cos I personally think he is a theorist. He might know a lot, there is more in running a government which he might be lacking.

However if PDP fails to give us Duke then Utomi in AC will stand as a fall back.

For all those who think votes dont count in Nigeria, for all those who think nothing works out in Nigeria. Also remember that there is a point in life when some things cant just continue to happen. we will find out feet someday and that date could be 2007. 2007 is make or break for Nigeria.

Vote Donald Duke for President.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by otokx(m): 12:17pm On Nov 22, 2006
There are other classifications of tribes in nigerians

north and south

soldiers (including para military - customs, police, retired) and civilians

muslims and non - muslims
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by McKren(m): 12:35pm On Nov 22, 2006
BigB1 I am pretty sure you dont know about your principal IBB, cos if you do you will not gamble with your future or those of your children. For more info about IBB visit www.againstbabangida.com

The man has too many hurdles to scale, let me highlight a few.
*There is a protest match by National Coalistion for Democracy to checkmate his presidency starting in Minna and then to other zones led by Umaru Farruk, the gruop that swiftly protested his picking presidential form in Abuja.
*Pronnaco under the leadership of Anthony Enahoro is mobilizing Civil Society groups against him.
*WASU with a membership base of 60million students under Daniel Onjeh is launching a protest match against him.
*Gani Fawehinmi is on his way to court of competent jusridiction to challenge IBB's presidency using the Okigbo report, of course no need to tell you what
 that means going by section 308 of Nigeria's constitution which bars all who have embezzled money in the past from contesting.
*The PDP has set up a panel led by John Odey to screen him out using the same Okigbo report.
*Millions of Nigeria are also out there crying for justice and petitioning him to God.

IBB cant even campaign, other presidential aspirants are going around the country soliciting for votes he cant even do that, why? IG will of course not be available to follow him arround. People will stone him to death if he tries.

You know what BigB1 go and tell your principal that we will not gamble with our future in the name of democracy, we will not wait to stop him at the polls, we will rather choose to be both proactive and pre-emptive. We will truncate his ambition before the polls. IBB is a threat to National Security.

BigB1 better change your support to Donald Duke because you seem to be a dedicated man.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by stanech: 3:52pm On Nov 22, 2006
I wonder what makes BigB1 to have thoughts or dream of IBB will ruling this country. Get this straight:
What the other presidential aspirants are campaigning to wipe out  is what IBB encourages.

Do you know what that is?  CORRUTIOIN

It was introduced into Nigerian system by IBB it has turned our lovely country into a den for criminals and anybody who wants to become the president of this country must be ready fight against it and not to encourage it.

Let us give our support to Duke he has the ability to take Nigeria to the promise land.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by symbad(m): 7:55pm On Nov 25, 2006
The primaries approaches. Let us pray that those given the responsibility to nominate the various parties candidate for Presidency are bestowed with the sense of wisdom. Let's be prayerful and stop seeking the faults in others. What we sow today, we determine that which we will receive.

If I am asked to nominate, I will choose Mr. Donald Duke. Who will you choose?

Itauma
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by otokx(m): 6:57am On Nov 26, 2006
Its not a matter of I choose, you choose. We are about to witness a government magic and not just in PDP but in almost all the parties. Have you heard of confused commotion? Its intensity is measured in darkness and we all know the efficacy of our dear NEPA (forget that contraption called PHCN)
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by 4real(m): 2:59am On Nov 30, 2006
As for me it's Duke as much as i believe in this country believe you me, if the guy does not make it to Aso rock by hook or crook am out of this country, i know come this world come die or suffer
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by cabali(m): 3:53am On Dec 01, 2006
I think u better start looking for that visa now
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by 4real(m): 5:46am On Dec 01, 2006
Ah bad blood, shocked i reject you in Jesus name, Blood of Jesus, Holy Ghost Fire and thunder grin
Duke would make it and nothing bad blood like una fit do about am.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by cabali(m): 6:31am On Dec 01, 2006
my friend read my post before u bind me jo grin

duke is my man too but have u heard whats up with the screening?
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by zexyworm: 7:34am On Dec 01, 2006
PDP officially narrowed down their candidates to state governors.

We're down to 10 aspirants, from the original 22.

9 to eliminate/disqualify! Go Duke!
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by cabali(m): 4:22pm On Dec 02, 2006
well lets hope!!!
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by 4real(m): 5:13am On Dec 03, 2006
well my guy i have unbind you so got and sin no more (or should i say join the Duke train and leave no more) i have heard the news but an agreement as not been reached that is what PDP wants (a gov to step in a president) but the others are kickingf against it, well with the EFCC thing alot of them will have to step down, so our man is almost home dry, lets just keep praying and hoping that our prayers will be answered.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by stanech: 6:34am On Dec 03, 2006
I think we should pray it works out. what if he fails in PDP?
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by wiseguy(m): 5:11pm On Dec 04, 2006
The next president
By Niyi Akinnaso

ABOUT five months ago, Reuben Abati painted a word picture of the next President by listing the qualifications he or she must have (The Guardian, June 4, 2006). At the end of the essay, he challenged the reader: "If you know such a man, please tell us; not just a man, a woman as well". I can say categorically now that I know such a man. However, before I name him, two preliminaries are necessary. First, it is important to draw attention to the political contexts for Abati's intervention with a list of qualifications. Second, it is necessary to review those qualifications.

There were two important contexts for Abati's intervention, one remote and the other immediate. The remote context is the perceived failure of President Olusegun Obasanjo to perform as he should given all the resources at his disposal. Schools and educational standards are downhill. Hospitals and healthcare are decrepit. Roads are bad. Electricity is come-and-go. The Niger Delta is in turmoil. Everything is coming to nothing! Everybody is talking about the problems. So far, it appears they've been talking to a deaf person. Abati's conclusion is that the next President should not be a person like Obasanjo. It is, therefore, not surprising that he framed his presidential qualifications as an antithesis to Obasanjo's qualifications.

The immediate context for Abati's intervention was the rumoured presidential instruction to PDP Governors to search among their rank and put forward one of their own for the presidency in 2007. Needless to say, the project flopped. Nevertheless, Abati disapproved of it. It is not clear whether he simultaneously rejected the idea of a Governor becoming President. What is clear is that he rejected the idea of a group of Governors telling their party and the electorate who to vote for.

I take the issue of Governor as President quite seriously, because I strongly believe that governorship is an important qualification for the presidency in our type of democracy. It offers a kind of tutelage that leaves behind a verifiable testimonial. Just take a look at the United States, which runs a similar presidential democracy. It is no accident that four of the last five Presidents were previously state governors. And the only one who was not a Governor was a Vice-President for eight years. The important point here is that the governorship of a state provides necessary cognate experience in the executive management of people and resources. This does not mean, of course, that every Governor would make a good President. This is where Abati's list of necessary qualifications matters.

One set of qualifications on Abati's list refers to what a would-be President should be and know before taking office. For example, in an oblique jab at the present President, Abati wants a President who is "happily married", that is, to one wife, not many, so he could devote energy to governing the country rather than managing his home. He also wants a President who is media savvy in the sense of reading newspapers, watching local television, and listening to local radio in order to gain first-hand knowledge of social reality. How about adding computer literacy and web surfing? Moreover, Abati wants a President who listens carefully in order to gain the intelligence of others. Finally, he wants a President "who has spent some time acquiring quality education, and whose mental faculties are developed".

Abati also wants a President who is sufficiently versed in Nigerian history and politics. This needs some qualification. The President need not be a historian or a political scientist. What is needed is a President who can bring together the right people, tap into their reservoirs of knowledge, take their recommendations seriously, and come up with appropriate solutions to the nation's problems.

The other set of qualifications on Abati's list refers to the would-be President's agenda and mode of governance. He should not simply tell us he wants to be President in order to move Nigeria forward or to continue the reform agenda of the present administration. Rather, the would-be President must have "a programme of action" or "a Presidential agenda (that) must be measurable in terms of likely performance." Specifically, Abati recommends that a future President should "take two or three specific issues in a four-year tenure" and post concrete achievements in those areas.

I would like to rephrase such specific issues as priorities rather than the only issues to be tackled. The problem with ruling a nation is that no aspect of national life could or should be neglected at all for four years. What is important is getting the priorities right in terms of which aspects deserve more focal attention than others. No one should ever be President of Nigeria again, who pays more attention to fighting corruption (while it is growing by the day under his watch) and accumulating foreign reserves than to feeding the people and repairing their schools, hospitals, and roads.

Accordingly, the next President should have a comprehensive catalogue of all the ills plaguing Nigeria and tell us how and in what order he wants to tackle the problems. In particular, he should be prepared to bring us close to world standard in at least two such areas of priority, while leaving no aspect of national life to fall apart.

Abati also emphasises profitability in management and accountability to the people as desirable qualities in a would-be President. He wants a President who would be a team-player, run Nigeria for profit like a multinational company, and render account to the people, without assuming that he is doing them a favour.

For me, the most important qualification at this stage of the exercise, which is omitted in Abati's list, is cognate experience. What is the presidential aspirant or candidate bringing to the table that qualifies him for the presidency? How did he perform when he had the opportunity to manage people and resources on a large scale? It is not sufficient to have been President or Governor before. We know, for example, that someone like Babangida has had the experience of ruling Nigeria. And we know that he ruled very badly. Fayose was once Governor of Ekiti State. We know that he ruled very badly. We thought that Obasanjo would rule well as a former military Head of State. Now we know better. We also know that the old political class in general has failed us.

This is why I think we need to turn to a new generation of Nigerians, who have relevant experience in government, particularly as Governors. The question is which among them has a record of achievement, the work ethic, the vision, the sense of probity, a programme of action, etc. that could be transformed to the national stage? Which Governor has transformed education, healthcare, agriculture, power supply, eco-tourism, and commerce in his state that could be entrusted with such transformation nation-wide?

Available evidence so far points to one such Governor, namely, Donald Duke of Cross River State. He must have been doing something right to have attracted so much attention to Calabar, Obudu ranch, TINAPA, HIV-AIDS reduction, educational development, agricultural expansion, rural electrification, etc. all in Cross River State. Factor in the list of qualifications discussed above, and tell me why someone like Donald Duke should not be our next President.

* Professor Akinnaso teaches Anthropology and Linguistics in the United States

Culled from http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/editorial_opinion/article02
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by McKren(m): 10:20pm On Dec 04, 2006
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by McKren(m): 10:44pm On Dec 04, 2006
qualifications discussed above, and tell me why someone like Donald Duke should not be our next President
Tell Prof. Akinnaso that Donald Duke may not be selected as President because he is not from the so-called ruling tribes (that have failed Nigeria for so long), it is as simple as that. When on December 16 after the PDP convention if he is not selected then I will put up a topic here probing if the word "One Nigeria" actually exists.

Tell me if we are a rational people a PDP that has got Donald Duke will still be searching for Presidential flag bearer. I wish he was my governor, I would have had a taste of his service not waiting for when hopeless Nigeria will elect credible people.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by otokx(m): 3:22am On Dec 05, 2006
@McKren

PDP does not "select" candidates but "elects" them.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by zexyworm: 5:35am On Dec 05, 2006
There's a very high chance Duke will be sidelined at the PDP convention, due to his position OUTSIDE the circle of crooks and thugs within the PDP.

Itsn't ironic, for Peter Odili to talk garbage about "the need for PDP to nominate credible candidates"?

Peter Odili is a gangster, a corrupt failure who has brought absolutely nothing to Rivers. His involvement in the presidency would bring catastrophe to Nigerians, since it's almost certain he appoint fellow criminals to key ministerial positions,

I say Duke should either dump PDP or run as an independent. At least there is honour in there.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by McKren(m): 6:42am On Dec 05, 2006
Otokx
@McKren

PDP does not "select" candidates but "elects" them.

Remember the kind of election that NFA had that sidelined Odegbami? Thats what I mean by selection because the results are pre-determined during horse trading with the delegates obligated to vote in a paticular direction. "So Otokx is that election or selection"
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by stanech: 7:31am On Dec 05, 2006
zexyworm:

I say Duke should either dump PDP or run as an independent. At least there is honour in there.

For me I think he (Duke) should remain in PDP even if he looses in the primaries I think it will be wise to remain in there because the opposition never wins in Africa especially a presidential election. And Even if another person win's the election Duke may be the best person suitable for a vice president or a member of the cabinet
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by stanech: 7:00pm On Dec 05, 2006
"I am not prepared to step down for any other presidential aspirant because I have not seen any aspirant that could challenge my credentials. "

These are Duke's words shortly after submiting his forms
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by Nobody: 11:09pm On Dec 05, 2006
odili is the man any day
grin

maybe most of u don't know duke is promiscuous, i know have caught him several times, u can ask some unical girls if u doubt me
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by nilla(f): 11:11pm On Dec 05, 2006
His promiscuity is his wife's wahala.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Dec 05, 2006
thats when it is not with govt funds and resources
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by nilla(f): 11:14pm On Dec 05, 2006
so what good has Odili done?
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Dec 05, 2006
all of them are crooks

but among the crooks he is considered to be the most crafty

he has a list of projects he has carried out

i can see a lot of youth are been swayed by dukes handsome look

sorry for u oooo
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by nilla(f): 11:46pm On Dec 05, 2006
lol
its not the looks that I'm looking at, It's the fact he has done something.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by McKren(m): 12:16am On Dec 06, 2006
Guys Kaycee is a clown, I personally think he is linked to that Fred Osari who posted that trash on the internet. Well you are waisting your time Kaycee. Go and tell your Oil sheik Odili that he will not buy his way to the presidency. It will not work.
Duke is the man.
Re: Donald Duke For 2007 Presidency? by Nobody: 7:11am On Dec 06, 2006
well no doubt he is an oil sheik

the oil sheik in the middle east are they not performing better?

well lets wait and see if duke will pass the primaries b4 we can allow u folks opportunity to vote for him

at the primaries we would know who runs the show

enjoy grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Akwa-Ibom' s Deputy Governor Resignation Letter! / Ekiti Assembly Warns Buhari Against Any Attempt To Remove Fayose / Defection: APC Sets Up Committee To Woo Obaseki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.