Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,710 members, 7,816,917 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:11 PM

About That Uche Nwafor’s Goal - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / About That Uche Nwafor’s Goal (802 Views)

Keshi Resumes; Recalls Ikechukwu Uche For Remaining AFCON Qualifiers / Ikechukwu Uche Scores a Hat-trick Against Rayo Vallecano / Who Is The Best Goal Keeper In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

About That Uche Nwafor’s Goal by mans114: 12:26pm On Aug 15, 2013
Anyone that has played football or soccer (no vex, my American friends will be reading this) either professionally or backyard players like myself know that the most difficult skill in the game is hitting target with your back to goal but when you can score with the goalkeeper anticipating your move in such a position then it elicits an amazing feeling. “Back-heel” as it is popularly called is so difficult that it is the least attempted skill in the history of the game.
Over the years the players who have attempted this hard technique with success include, Algerian international Rabah Madjer who helped Porto claimed their first ever continental trophy with a stroke of genius against Bayern Munich in the decider. "I had my back to goal and the only way I could score was with a back-heel," Madjer explained to FIFA.com, having followed up that strike by then assisting Juary to notch the winner in a 2-1 triumph. "It was an instinctive thing and I just did it. I didn't have any time to think about it. I tried it again in a league match just after the final and it went in that time too."
French striker Thierry Henry managed 'just' 25 to help Arsenal finish Premier League runners-up in 2004/05, and Gunners fans still reminisce about his cheeky effort against Charlton Athletic in October 2004. Given possession by Jose Antonio Reyes and left with few obvious options as he faced away from goal, Henry caught Charlton No1 Dean Kiely off guard with a powerful and precise jab of the heel. That quick thinking helped Arsenal prevail 4-0 .
Johan Cruyff could hardly have been happier when he rattled in one of the greatest goals of his illustrious career for Barcelona against Atletico Madrid in 1973. The game was still goalless when Carles Rexach sent in a cross from the right – and although the ball looked to be curling too far in front of its intended target, the Dutch phenomenon launched himself through the air and back-heeled it beyond goalkeeper Miguel Reina to open the scoring in a 2-1 win. "Cruyff is extraordinary, a player to be ranked alongside Alfredo Di Stefano," remarked Atletico Juan Carlos Lorenzo afterwards, making an apt comparison since the Real Madrid forward showed similar skill to notch one of his four goals in a match against Los Colchoneros in 1955.
And more recently Ivorian Striker tried it with success when Galatasaray played against Real Madrid in last season’s Champions League Quarter final.

Apart from that amazing team work that culminated in that mesmerizing goal, our general display was satisfactory and I strongly believe that our beloved Super Eagles are on the way up, so fasten your seat belts, we are in for more treats.
Apart from the goals, Uche Nwafor’s general contributions to the game was very inspiring for a debutant and I’m sure the former VW Venlo Striker has a bright future ahead as the far as the game of football is concerned. My fervent hope and prayer is he’ll score a similar; winning goal for Nigeria in the world cup final against the host next year, which will heal all the people with symptoms of heart diseases, all the ones in the hospital and 2015 will be peaceful irrespective of the election results.

Mansur Abubakar
mansurabu9@gmail.com/@mansur_112

(1) (Reply)

Video Of Enyeama's First Conceded Goal In 12 League Matches - Painful Goal / Fragile Punters(soccer Betting) / Manchester City To Sign Nigeria U-17 Chidi Nwakali

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.