Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,761 members, 7,820,649 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:47 PM

My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! (2786 Views)

Mitsubishi Outlander 2003 Problems - Already Scanned With Computer / Please I Need Help My Car Refuses To Move P To D Which Is From Park To Drive / Where Can A Car Be Scanned In Abuja At Reasonable Cost (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by CHIMSKY(m): 1:26am On Aug 16, 2013
I drive a Camry 98.My problem is that I can not scan my car anymore.Anytime I connect my scanner or my mechanic connects his to the charging port,the car does not recognize it and so no connection is established.I have gone to several auto electricians but they dont know what the problem is.Initially I thought it was the fuse but its not.
What could be the problem?
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by sultaan(m): 4:36am On Aug 16, 2013
they don't know what they are doing.

Unless someone has messed with your computer your car will so a code if any exist.
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by Ikenna351(m): 7:02am On Aug 16, 2013
It could be the scanner lack the ECU protocol of your car. Even my scanners lack the protocol of that particular ECU and so dont communicate with the ECU of that particular Camry model year, especially the petrol N/A I4.

Try other scanners, unless someone has messed with the wires to that port.

Ikenna
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by nissparts(m): 8:36am On Aug 16, 2013
Chimsky, it is usually a fuse but where you find no issues with the fuse then there is a bad wire in the ECM harness

1 Like

Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by flexya: 8:41am On Aug 16, 2013
Ikenna351: It could be the scanner lack the ECU protocol of your car. Even my scanners lack the protocol of that particular ECU and so dont communicate with the ECU of that particular Camry model year, especially the petrol N/A I4.

Try other scanners, unless someone has messed with the wires to that port.

Ikenna

SPOT ON
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by nissparts(m): 8:50am On Aug 16, 2013
Not quite.
The OPs scenario happens more often than you think. Infact I have attended to at least 2 Nairalanders with the same issue.
In my experience, it is caused by either of the issues I referred to earlier or the ECM is damaged.
The OP already implied he hasnt used only one scanner to test this and possibly the same scanner has been used successfully previously

1 Like

Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by Nobody: 12:34pm On Aug 16, 2013
Maybe the wire connecting it 2 d brain box has been tampered...it happened 2 ma 2004 rav4... When i wanted to scan it was showing Error in Connection.
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by jodeci(m): 3:22pm On Aug 16, 2013
As nissparts said,check the fuse.
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by nissparts(m): 3:32pm On Aug 16, 2013
OP, did you install any new devices in the car recently?
Tracker? Sound system? Remote starter? Immobilizer?.......etc
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by CHIMSKY(m): 2:05pm On Aug 17, 2013
nissparts: OP, did you install any new devices in the car recently?
Tracker? Sound system? Remote starter? Immobilizer?.......etc
Yes.Installed a security system
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by nissparts(m): 4:40pm On Aug 17, 2013
That's the source of your issue
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by ZIMDRILL(m): 3:15pm On Aug 18, 2013
nissparts: That's the source of your issue

i doubt that very much especially if the systems are working independently unless they short wire something during the installation they need to check fuses as well

and before installation was the scan able to communicate with car ?
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by viperman: 11:09pm On Aug 18, 2013
CHIMSKY: I drive a Camry 98.My problem is that I can not scan my car anymore.Anytime I connect my scanner or my mechanic connects his to the charging port,the car does not recognize it and so no connection is established.I have gone to several auto electricians but they dont know what the problem is.Initially I thought it was the fuse but its not.
What could be the problem?

Charging port ke?
Have you ever scanned that car before or this is the first time?
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by mikkyphp(m): 9:01am On Aug 19, 2013
@OP,
look for someone that uses LAUNCH x431-IV scanner, If generic scanners are not getting power from the OBD port. That device has alternative power sources like cigarette lighter, or even direct clips to your battery.

If your problem isn't power related, then as @nisspart said, u may have an ECM problem on your hands
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by autofreak2020(m): 11:40am On Aug 19, 2013
@mikkyphp, how much is LAUNCH x431-IV auto scanner and where do i get one?
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by mikkyphp(m): 12:54pm On Aug 19, 2013
I just got one for a client in mid-july. I can get for you. Price 200k.
Price in Nigeria is 300-350k.
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by CHIMSKY(m): 8:33pm On Aug 21, 2013
ZIM DRILL:

i doubt that very much especially if the systems are working independently unless they short wire something during the installation they need to check fuses as well

I used to scan the car before myself so i could identify its exact issues and eliminate guesswork.
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by CHIMSKY(m): 8:34pm On Aug 21, 2013
viperman:

Charging port ke?
Have you ever scanned that car before or this is the first time?
USB Port!Pardon my typo.Have scanned it severak times in the past.
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by sultaan(m): 2:39am On Aug 22, 2013
You use to scan it at the USB or OBD port? grin

The last person to work on your car dis some electrical bubu in there, so the power wire to run the scanner has been cut you other option is to put a battery in your scanner then scan your car.
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by Digriz(m): 8:35pm On Jul 13, 2016
Old thread,I resurrected the thread bcus am experiencing the same issue.
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by Nobody: 11:32pm On Jul 13, 2016
Digriz:
Have you tried begging the car? cheesy

What is the name, model & year of your car?
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by Denn(m): 10:12am On Jul 15, 2016
ZIMDRILL:

CANBUS....if they did 'join-join', many issues could crop up.

if diagnostic socket fuse is okay and op has tried other scanners, the possible problems are either wiring faults or ecu fault.
Re: My Car Refuses To Be Scanned! by honmusa(m): 12:02pm On Jul 15, 2016
Digriz:
U need an competent tech person to confirm the status of the following from the car DLC port:
power 12V from pin 16,Ground on pin 5 and 4 and the required communication signal from the the com terminals depending on the model of the car.
If you need a competent professional to resolve this issue promptly and accurately .call autologic @ 08061166316.

(1) (Reply)

2017 Range Rover Spy Pictures / Toyota RAV4 VS Nissan X-trail: Which Is Better? / Buying Of Tokunbo Cars At Apapa Berger,any Danger

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.