Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,705 members, 7,809,683 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:00 PM

Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone (32277 Views)

8 Perks Of Living Alone / Advantages/disadvantages Of Being A Nigerian Man/Nigerian Woman / Share Your Experiences Of Living In The Barracks. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Nobody: 2:40pm On Aug 26, 2013
During my youth service, I took in a fellow corp member. To my greatest surprise, he showed his true color by being the lazyest and dirtiest guy I have ever come across. I had to kick him out after 6 weeks of trying to rehabilitate him. I realised he can never repent!
Since then, I have never considered having a house mate talkless of a room mate!

1 Like

Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by vivaciousvivi(f): 2:41pm On Aug 26, 2013
Hahahaha...@ living "ON" you.
I live alone, have done so for nearly 4 years now. It does get lonely but when I think about the backbiting and issues i faced during Uni days co-habiting, i pinch myself and enjoy my solitude and privacy jare cheesy

1 Like

Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by ghettodreamz(m): 2:43pm On Aug 26, 2013
Freiburger: OP, why should i pay for my roommate crimes?

See question...

Just know who you pally with and choose as a room mate, if not you go pay for crime you no commit. Na today? If e neva happen to you before, you no de watch Nollywood movies? It's no different in the diaspora sef. Or haven't you heard about people who ended up in prison for the crime they committed not ?
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by vivaciousvivi(f): 2:45pm On Aug 26, 2013
Wu Zetian: As far as I'm concerned, there is no disadvantages in living alone.

In fact, when and if I get married, I do not mind living in a separate house from my husband

Just the thought of living with someone, every single day.... *shudders*

Babe, snap out of that fantasty sharp sharp!

1 Like

Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Les: 2:45pm On Aug 26, 2013
stiill wont stop me from living alone

#teamlivealone

1 Like

Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by tomakint: 2:46pm On Aug 26, 2013
These are well arranged tips! Really, some humans can be very irritating to live with while I would not dispute the fact that some are interesting personalities to be with! However, it is very good that one should weigh the options before dabbling into it.
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by adexinbox(m): 2:46pm On Aug 26, 2013
Living alone can risky sometime if u got ill at home and no one to call for help
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by ghettodreamz(m): 2:47pm On Aug 26, 2013
Boredom & loneliness, but with time it becomes a const value. grin
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Fabulous36(f): 2:48pm On Aug 26, 2013
You never see where roommate dey kill fellow room mate? Its a 50/50 thing jare. God help us
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by ghettodreamz(m): 2:49pm On Aug 26, 2013

In fact, when and if I get married, I do not mind living in a separate house from my husband

No kukuma marry in the first place...

Orisirisi

1 Like

Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by tellwisdom: 2:49pm On Aug 26, 2013
Roommate?? for which set of people??....I live in a mansion angry
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by striker9(m): 2:52pm On Aug 26, 2013
Living alone is the best,privacy to live your life.Its advisable to have neighbors though,in case of emergency.

1 Like

Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Ellylace(f): 2:53pm On Aug 26, 2013
Nice...But simply put, some people e.g me...can't stand the hassle of living with a room-mate.I live alone and I must say it's the best decision for me cos I take my privacy very seriously and some folks just don't respect dat...but there are some disadvantages as the OP rightly stated..you have to be prepared for emergency situations by ensuring that ur family and close friends have spare keys and are always aware of ur whereabouts so they can easily come to ur aid in times of distress..

1 Like

Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by dhammer(m): 2:53pm On Aug 26, 2013

Take the next available spaceship from the planet you are currently residing back to earth.
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by cosify: 2:53pm On Aug 26, 2013
Nice write up. Personally i still believe living with somebody is better because it is not good to live in isolation.Man is gregarious by nature.And a human being is at it's best when he or she is living or working with someone else or in synergy. Having said that,in order to reduce the disadvantages of having a room mate,I prefer to live with somebody under the same roof,but we will have seperate rooms.Then we can share the toilet,bathroom and kitchen.
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Donvitalis(m): 2:53pm On Aug 26, 2013
Mehhn...my privacy is inviolate, thus i don't joke with it. I can't put up with those disadvantages aforementioned.
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by ajanaku2(m): 2:55pm On Aug 26, 2013
Nothing compares to the succour and gratification that comes with living in the depths of Solitude...

I live alone and I swear, I regret not activating that status earlier!

1 Like

Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 26, 2013
I can live my money anywhere without fear of it getting stolen.i remember when my roomate used to live with me and she would bring all her friends to the room,jist and watch film,since i live my wallet and samsung phone on my bed,by the time i come back,i will meet a rowdy,disorganized room.my phone would have been gone,my money is gone and when i accuse her she will say why should i leave my phone and money in the room,we will get into a serious brawl,apart from that she will play music so loud.both day and night.if its not jay.z,its ciara,if its not ciara its nelly.both when we are asleep and in the afternoon.when our rent expired, she met her load in front of the room.since then i no dey squat ROOMATE.TOO MUCH WAHALA

3 Likes

Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 26, 2013
I like living alone. And at the same time, i like having my friends around. I think the best thing is that we both have our different rooms and our rooms are next to teach other. So we become neighbours. I can live alone and still have some one to chat with.
@Caracta, contract even if you both are friends?
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Freiburger(m): 3:00pm On Aug 26, 2013
ghettodreamz:

See question...

Just know who you pally with and choose as a room mate, if not you go pay for crime you no commit. Na today? If e neva happen to you before, you no de watch Nollywood movies? It's no different in the diaspora sef. Or haven't you heard about people who ended up in prison for the crime they committed not ?
The truth is, the police don't have the necessary facilities to investigate crimes[b].[/b]
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Ishilove: 3:00pm On Aug 26, 2013
I currently live alone and I am loving every bit of it. I enjoy solitude.You get to walk around butt naked, pray whenever and as loud as you want, talk and laugh with yourself and not be worried if someone is wondering if you're going nuts, do anything you want, when you want it. When I get visitors, they are welcome for just an hour or thereabout before I start itching to kick their intruding asss out the window. You have to be really really really special for you to stay with me for more than a few hours at the most and still be welcome. wink

If I'm ill, sweet Mama and Pappy are a phone call away, so no problemo grin

1 Like

Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Nobody: 3:00pm On Aug 26, 2013
Living with a room/ flat mates, except for loss of privacy and confidentiality, is okay. we share the bills, share food, share transportation. just that everybody gets lazy and nobody wants to sweep or do the dishes. And your business is everybody's business. So u cant sneak that ugly/ razz girl you dont want to be caught dead with in. And it can be annoying when one of the flat mates decides to play smarty pants and doesn't contribute to the bills, but uses the house amenities, like the generator/ water/ gas...says he's broke, but you see him eating well and buying stuff for himself and feeling like he's smart. You don't get really lonely, except opposite sex lonely and when the libido is high (aka Agro or Kanji). We have fun, gist about the street/ office relationships aka...gossip, play video games, do karaoke, watch MANSWERS! 1000 ways to Die or other cool boys'shows
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by ghettodreamz(m): 3:01pm On Aug 26, 2013
tellwisdom: Roommate?? for which set of people??....I live in a mansion angry

Wake up... It's 6 o'clock A.M
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by hardbody: 3:02pm On Aug 26, 2013
Lucky gurl: This reminds me of a male friend of mine who's having severe malaria and no one is there with him. I wonder how he copes. Some people are trying anyway.
Using this medium to wish him speedy recovery.

Your friend is not having malaria because he is living alone, he is having malaria because he has not taken care to take preventive steps. Living with people is the worst mistake anyone could ever make (to my mind). The problems and hassles are too numerous to mention. I will rather stay alone and have malaria and traet it than take in a room mate and suffer silently for several other issues that i can do nothing about once the guy has moved in.

4 Likes

Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Ishilove: 3:03pm On Aug 26, 2013
ajanaku2: Nothing compares to the succour and gratification that comes with living in the depths of Solitude...

I feel you, bro.
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by loswhite(m): 3:04pm On Aug 26, 2013

lol... U can as well stay in the boys quarter
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 26, 2013
I've done 2 years with a roommate and 6 months without one and I can tell you living alone beats any roommate out there

Having to dance to Timaya and later on gas pedal with extra loud music in your room tops it

Having to sing so loud in the shower and lip syncing Ed Sheeran and Lana Del Rey without any knock on the door tops it

Having to put on an nba match by 3am and get wowed by Blake Griffin slams tops it

and lastly....
Having to import and export chicalas from different regions without tune table takes the cake

sue me...I love me some alone time
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Richy4(m): 3:06pm On Aug 26, 2013
Getting pressed and rushing to the toilet only to see what will surpress your nature call is not the best feeling in the world. expecially when you have flat mates that are not toilet trained.
Getting hungry and you went to the kitchen only to see that it has been occupied by someone else is not cool.
watching your flat mate clean only his or her own room and ignoring the lounge room or sitting room area as if cleaning it by him or her is an abomination is just frustrating

Waking up and feeling good about yourself and for the gift of life only for someone to destroy it because he/she woke up from the wrong side of the bed is a no no. I still believe that living alone is better. if you can afford it, go for it. if you cannot, it is best avenue to learn tolerant.

3 Likes

Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Nobody: 3:08pm On Aug 26, 2013
Mobsync: 5 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD.

(1). You don't become lonely
When you have a roommate you always someone to talk to and hang around with. You rarely get that funny feeling that makes it seem you've been placed under some sort of house arrest or holed up in a fortress.

(2). You get to split bills, chores and tasks
Rather than living alone in an uncomfortable abode because you can't afford to pay for something better; with a roommate, you get to live in a better environment and simply split the rent. You also get someone to share the house chores and tasks like with.

(3). You have someone to call for help and support.
You're going for an early morning interview and have no transport fare; you need to purchase some important stuffs and you've got no money; you're coming home late and need a hot place of food on your table as soon as you get home and what else? A roommate's the best bet.

(4). You could make a very good friend and build a lifetime relationship.
Beat it! Top executives, multimillionaires and all other "ogas at the top" today probably had a roommate at one time or the other in their lives. And if you were a "good" roommmate during the period of habitation, I don't think they would think twice before repaying you.

(5). There's someone around in case of emergencies
Imagine you slipped in the bathroom and fell into coma or you get knocked down by a heavy bout of malaria or fainted after falling dizzy; fact is, there's a higher possibility of you getting help when you have a roommmate as compared to when you don't.

5 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULDN'T.

(1). You lose your privacy
You can't sleep naked, you can't spend a full hour in the bathroom, you can't sing with your coarse voice in the bedroom, you can't watch indecency, masturbate and freely do all other wierd stuffs you love doing. Fact is, your privacy becomes lost the moment touch begin to cohabit with someone else.

(2). Your roommate could be pretty annoying and have downright disgusting manners.Have you ever found yourself in a situation whereby you get to leave your bottle of perfume in a certain position whenever you're leaving the house? Or you have to hide your wallet in totally absurd places? Or put a very small piece of paper in your milk's tin lid? Or have to hide your towel in your luggage all because some self acclaimed roommmate's doesn't know that some things are not meant to be shared? Or you've ever lived with someone who spits on the bedroom floor, urinates in the kitchen sink and uses the toilet without flushing? Well, if you haven't, it's only a matter of time- except you live alone.

(3). Your roommmate's might gossip, backbite and tell people private things about you

You bedwet, wear an underwear for a month, bathe once a week and brush your teeth only on Tuesday mornings? You really ought to be careful if you've got a roommmate, especially if the roommmate's a female shocked (no offence meant) cool. Your roomie could tell people all these and even feign lies all in a bid to keep a conversion with a third party going or simply because he/she's damned irritated.

(4). You could be made to pay for your roommmate's crimes
I once lived with a guy who stole a mobile phone from a fellow housemate only to abscond when things went awry. At the end of the day, I almost got arrested if not for the simple fact that I stood my grounds. But for the keeps, others have suffered police detentions, jailterms or even death for crimes committed by their roommmates.

(5). Your roommmate might become dependent on you.
When you live with some people, you might suddenly find yourself footing all bills, funding all meals, purchasing all items and carrying out all basic house chores that you begin to start wondering why you aren't even living alone in the first place. It's either your roommmate lives WITH you or lives ON you. If he/she lives with you, fine; but if he/she's lives on you, RUN.

SOURCE: me

tht is disgusting,we will part ways sharply due to those habits,yuck
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 26, 2013
Goldenheart: we live alone... we do just fine living alone
we dnt ve to worry about anybody's sh*t...
Expectially when ur roomate ve friends that are lousy n they re discussing and laughing like hell, and u begin to wonder, "are they talking bout we?"
we can clean up ma room when i feel like without pressure
we can eat whatever we like
we can sleep however we feel...

but when we receive visitors/guest... its state of the heart Hospitality.

note: we is i.
Smeegle of "lord of the rings" is that you?
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by Youngzedd(m): 3:12pm On Aug 26, 2013
Better to leave alone.

Thank God I haven't live with someone before and no shaken.
Re: Advantages & Disadvantages Of Living Alone by K114: 3:13pm On Aug 26, 2013
Yup...these are what I see every day

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

25 Of The Most Creative Sculptures And Statues From Around The World / Top 10 Most Expensive Military Planes / What Is That Thing That Everybody Is Doing That You Consider Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.