Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,690 members, 7,813,281 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:10 AM

Fuel Pump Pressure Musings. Technical Inputs Needed. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Fuel Pump Pressure Musings. Technical Inputs Needed. (1870 Views)

Hw Long Does Your Car Tires Retain Its Air Pressure On Average / Fuel Pump Pressure Test / Fuel Pump Toyota Corolla 2005 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fuel Pump Pressure Musings. Technical Inputs Needed. by 9icetoo(m): 4:19pm On Aug 16, 2013
I was going thru some car write ups on the internet and something occured to me. Fuel pump efficiency and pressure drops after some years and the pump power reduces. This means the fuel pressure getting to the fuel rail and injectors is greatly reduced over time and as such the injectors don't get to properly atomise the fuel spray reducing efficiency and power. My question now is,
(A) Can one intentionally swap the fuel pump in the car for a pump with a higher pressure rating without an adverse effect to the car? E.g the toyota hilux fuel pump has a pressure of about 11 bar (guess). would it be okay to fix a pump with a rating of 14 bar?
(B) how can one figure out the current fuel pump pressure and compare with the original fuel pump pressure to check if there has been a drop in fuel pressure supply? (most mechs i know just whip out the fuel line and if its flowing, they tell u all is well).
(C) will an increased fuel pump pressure increase fuel efficiency and power ? (assuming the injectors are all working perfectly)
Re: Fuel Pump Pressure Musings. Technical Inputs Needed. by Ikenna351(m): 6:49pm On Aug 16, 2013
If you really want to know how good your fuel pump is, get a fuel pressure gauge. The gauge can also be use to determine how good your FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) is, if your car has it. Though, its easier to test FPR without pressure gauge via the FPR vacuum line.

But for my Peugeot, the SV D9, my diagbox tells me the state of the fuel pump, since the engine ECU controls the fuel pressure of the car via the fuel pump. That is, the ECU increases or decreases the fuel pressure via the fuel pump, depending on the rpm, since the engine lacks FPR.

Notwithstanding, Fuel pressure gauge is my next on the "to purchase list". Probably before the end of the month. It cost 15k or so in Abuja. Unfortunately, the quality of the one i saw wasnt encouraging. Will see how it goes. I just want to have it.

Ikenna
Re: Fuel Pump Pressure Musings. Technical Inputs Needed. by redcliff: 8:46pm On Aug 16, 2013
Ikenna351: If you really want to know how good your fuel pump is, get a fuel pressure gauge. The gauge can also be use to determine how good your FPR (Fuel Pressure Regulator) is, if your car has it. Though, its easier to test FPR without pressure gauge via the FPR vacuum line.

But for my Peugeot, the SV D9, my diagbox tells me the state of the fuel pump, since the engine ECU controls the fuel pressure of the car via the fuel pump. That is, the ECU increases or decreases the fuel pressure via the fuel pump, depending on the rpm, since the engine lacks FPR.

Notwithstanding, Fuel pressure gauge is my next on the "to purchase list". Probably before the end of the month. It cost 15k or so in Abuja. Unfortunately, the quality of the one i saw wasnt encouraging. Will see how it goes. I just want to have it.

Ikenna

Ikenna, he asked a pertinent question which you did not answer and which is (A) Can one intentionally swap the fuel pump in the car for a pump with a higher pressure rating without an adverse effect to the car? E.g the toyota hilux fuel pump has a pressure of about 11 bar (guess). would it be okay to fix a pump with a rating of 14 bar? . I believe alot of people are waiting for an answer to this particular question because it affects us greatly in the sense that that's the standard recommendation by most mechanics these days..
Re: Fuel Pump Pressure Musings. Technical Inputs Needed. by Ikenna351(m): 9:39pm On Aug 16, 2013
redcliff:

Ikenna, he asked a pertinent question which you did not answer and which is (A) Can one intentionally swap the fuel pump in the car for a pump with a higher pressure rating without an adverse effect to the car? E.g the toyota hilux fuel pump has a pressure of about 11 bar (guess). would it be okay to fix a pump with a rating of 14 bar? . I believe alot of people are waiting for an answer to this particular question because it affects us greatly in the sense that that's the standard recommendation by most mechanics these days..

When you know the true state of your fuel pump, why would you bother changing it when its still ok? I believed he asked those questions because he didnt know how to find out the true state of fuel pump aside our local mechanics method, hence, he was thinking swapping in an FP with higher psi will elongate the death of the pump? Has it ever occured to you that your car injection system was programmed to run well with a particular fuel pressure psi? Even the FPR in your car regulates the fuel pressure with a specific psi. What do you think will happen to a N/A I4 injection system when you swap in a V12 car FP in the system?

Well, maybe it will run well without any adverse effect on the car injection system, which is possible, depending on the modification been done on the engine. But if i have a tool to check and know when my FP has failed or about to fail, and the FP is very much available in the market, why should i risk the injection system by putting something not designed for that injection system? Thats why buying Nigerian used cars can he quite discouraging, because you do not know where to start troubleshooting issues, when you do not know the kind of wrong modifications that have been done or wrong parts installed.

Even if you cant find the exact FP for your car in the market, i would suggest you find another that will match with same psi or close to the factory.

Ikenna
Re: Fuel Pump Pressure Musings. Technical Inputs Needed. by sultaan(m): 9:44pm On Aug 16, 2013
Always go with OEM specs, there might be a reason Toyota did not put a 14bar pump in there there is also the issue of connector(if it fits).
I want to believe your car will throw a rich code (too much air)if it gets below set point
Re: Fuel Pump Pressure Musings. Technical Inputs Needed. by 9icetoo(m): 7:22am On Aug 19, 2013
i know ishould always go with oems but there is something called tune up.
if i get a fuel pump with a slightly higher rating than mine, will it decrease the size of the droplets injected into the combustion chamber, thereby increasing the efficiency and power? I understand what u r saying ikenna, however i do not have the kits to test my FP pressure here and over the weekend i couldn't get any mech here in PH who had one. They all offered to whip out the hose and check the flow to which i declined.
Re: Fuel Pump Pressure Musings. Technical Inputs Needed. by cardoctor(m): 3:22pm On Aug 19, 2013
9icetoo: I was going thru some car write ups on the internet and something occured to me. Fuel pump efficiency and pressure drops after some years and the pump power reduces. This means the fuel pressure getting to the fuel rail and injectors is greatly reduced over time and as such the injectors don't get to properly atomise the fuel spray reducing efficiency and power. My question now is,
(A) Can one intentionally swap the fuel pump in the car for a pump with a higher pressure rating without an adverse effect to the car? E.g the toyota hilux fuel pump has a pressure of about 11 bar (guess). would it be okay to fix a pump with a rating of 14 bar?
(B) how can one figure out the current fuel pump pressure and compare with the original fuel pump pressure to check if there has been a drop in fuel pressure supply? (most mechs i know just whip out the fuel line and if its flowing, they tell u all is well).
(C) will an increased fuel pump pressure increase fuel efficiency and power ? (assuming the injectors are all working perfectly)

What's all this musing about?

Could you please explain what's wrong with your car?

Car-Doctor.
Re: Fuel Pump Pressure Musings. Technical Inputs Needed. by 9icetoo(m): 8:31am On Aug 20, 2013
i don't think anything is wrong with the car really @car doctor. However, i get really poor mpgs when i drive around in ph and i was wondering if i could it up.I get 33 mpg highway when travelling but a meagre 16 mpg sometimes as low as 14 mpg in ph. The only code on my car is the p0420 catalyst inefficiency and evap system malfunction code. I have changed plugs, coils and checked the injectors, flushed transmission fluid and run on full synthetic oil. Everything seems fine. I read somewhere online that fuel pumps get weaker as they age and could cause poor gas mileages if they don't supply the injection system with enough fuel (pressure). I also read fuel pressure regualtors could cause such as well when they start failing. So i was wondering if installing a pump with a slightly higher rating would improve the situation. However, I need the find out the fuel pressure from my pump first which i can't seem to do cos no mech around here seems to have the tools to do it.
Re: Fuel Pump Pressure Musings. Technical Inputs Needed. by nissparts(m): 10:03am On Aug 27, 2013
You are in constant traffic in PH, right?
Your car is fine apart from the catalyst issue which you should resolve.

(1) (Reply)

Photos: The 2015 Mercedes-Benz C-Class Or The 2015 Audi A8? / How To Confirm Genuity Of Custom Paper For Lagos Cleared Tokunbo Cars / Car Steering Lock

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.