Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,361 members, 7,815,774 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:04 PM

N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos (20434 Views)

#PHOTO Boko Haram Fights With Snakes. / NTDC Boss Fights In Brazil, Chews Contract To Cover Up Fraud / Nigerian Ambassador Fights In Public (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Nobody: 11:42pm On Aug 19, 2013
About N1 million, is at stake at the ongoing Best of the Season Ram Championship at Jalisco Sports Centre, Bolade, Oshodi, Lagos.

This is the sixth edition of the gaming event.

Over 100 rams would contest in the two-week long championship which began on Sunday and would end on September 1.

An official of the Ram Sports Promoters Association of Nigeria, RSPAN, who pleaded anonymity, said on Monday in Lagos that the championship was aimed primarily at picking out the strongest ram. He also said that the competition is a celebration of “our cultural heritage as practised by our forefathers.”

“Ram charging is a cultural sport that has existed for a long time but is (now) being used by people for betting purposes in order to generate money. Ram fighting is one of our cultural heritages that our forefathers practised but they did not have a legitimate body governing the coordination of their sport,” he said.

The official added that the strongest rams at the Lagos zonal competition would compete in the National Rams Championships, scheduled for January 2014, also in Lagos.

“Ram owners from the 33 zones in the West, which comprises Lagos, Oyo, Ogun, Osun and Kwara, assemble their rams for the annual event,” he explained.

According to the official, RSPAN was formed six years ago in order to properly manage ram competitions and prove to the public that the animals used in the sport are being monitored.

“The association over the years has been able to generate competitions and make it known to the public that the fighting rams, referred to as gladiators are safe,’’ he said.

He stated that the association discouraged any form of unofficial betting within the premises of the competition in order to create orderliness and reduce fighting among fans during the competition.

Another official of the body said that the competition explained that fights are overseen by three match officials to further control and reduce the occurrence of injuries on the rams.

“We have the ram monitor, ram referee and ram marshal who jointly help to properly station the rams and conduct their charges in order to minimise injuries to the head of the participating rams.

“These rams can charge at a speed of 50 km an hour and collide with a force that can literary crush a human’s skull like an egg,’’ he said .

He said that the rams, naturally equipped with horns to resist such pressure can make over 30 charges at fight which he said made the fights interesting to watch.

(NAN)

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/143039-over-n1mn-bets-placed-on-ram-fights-in-lagos.html

1 Like

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Odunharry(m): 11:48pm On Aug 19, 2013
ds sport dy swt o....

U go see ram make don chop igbo taya...
Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Odunharry(m): 11:49pm On Aug 19, 2013
mod we go nid am for frontpage
Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Horus(m): 11:49pm On Aug 19, 2013
Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Nobody: 12:01am On Aug 20, 2013
Can't stop laughing! The only time i see ram fight in during sallah. never knew it has turned to an event thing. WWE things? O ga o! grin grin

Lol @ Ram referee, Ram monitor and Ram marshal. grin

10 Likes

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by ba7man(m): 12:09am On Aug 20, 2013
Those Rams also have profiles.....Names like "Baby Face", "Terminator", "Sadam", "Shina Rambo" etc.

I saw a poster once with the names of the Participating Rams and couldn't stop laffing my head off at their names.

20 Likes

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Nobody: 12:14am On Aug 20, 2013
ba7man: Those Rams also have profiles.....Names like "Baby Face", "Terminator", "Sadam", "Shina Rambo" etc.

I saw a poster once with the names of the Participating Rams and couldn't stop laffing my head off at their names.
LWKMD! was expecting to see names like shawn michaels,hulk hogan and other wrestlers in WWE. So what's the use of the fight when at the end the rams will end in some people's stomach? grin

1 Like

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by plaindealer: 2:20am On Aug 20, 2013
Cruelty to animals. ... Smh..

16 Likes

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Afam4eva(m): 7:39am On Aug 20, 2013
I saw this sports at the National sports festival in Ogun state a few years back and i think it's something that we must encourage. Let's create our own sporting events.

1 Like

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Nobody: 7:44am On Aug 20, 2013
I hope any of the rams that drops dead or so will be turned into suya instantly?

That's what I'm concerned about.

1 Like

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Maxymilliano(m): 8:16am On Aug 20, 2013
berem:
Ram Sports Promoters Association of Nigeria, RSPAN

The official added that the strongest rams at the Lagos zonal competition would compete in the National Rams Championships

"We have the ram monitor, ram referee and ram marshal

grin grin grin ... So much for ram .

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by TonySpike: 8:27am On Aug 20, 2013
This could become a big tourist event in the future, if well managed. This is how the famous bull fights (matador) became a famous cultural event in Spain and the shouts,"ole! ole!" became popular. I think the Western states government should tap into this event and look for sponsors.

"Oya, se'ngbo!"

2 Likes

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by 3ace(m): 8:43am On Aug 20, 2013
Ram fights; very interesting to watch. Just like they use cocks to fight in the America
"These rams can charge at a speed of 50 km an hour and collide
But how una take measure am?

2 Likes

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Odunharry(m): 8:51am On Aug 20, 2013
emmysenior: I hope any of the rams that drops dead or so will be turned into suya instantly?

That's what I'm concerned about.
dead ke,d rams dn chop igbo ...

U go c ram make go dm go beat,e go run 4get d owner..
Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by deor03(m): 8:56am On Aug 20, 2013
3ace: Ram rights; very interesting to watch. Just like they use cocks to fight in the AmericaBut how una take measure am?

Simple: Distance covered by the RAM / Time it takes before collission

6 Likes

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Nobody: 9:37am On Aug 20, 2013
deor03:

Simple: Distance covered by the RAM / Time it takes before collission

Hehehehehe, I can see your P.N Okeke and Abbot is still in you!

Ram fights are interesting to watch! Who will take it to the next level? Pls no Government sponsor is wanted!!!
This is strictly a private affair

3 Likes

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by deor03(m): 9:45am On Aug 20, 2013
clue:

Hehehehehe, I can see your P.N Okeke and Abbot is still in you!

Ram fights are interesting to watch! Who will take it to the next level? Pls no Government sponsor is wanted!!!
This is strictly a private affair

Okeke !!!! God bless that man
Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 20, 2013
Animal cruelty...

Why create tribalism and rivalry among animals Lagos ram, abuja ram fighting kaduna ram..

Small time, we shall see PDP ram fighting APC ram with buhari face.

19 Likes

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 20, 2013
plaindealer: Cruelty to animals. ... Smh..
Wickedness !!!

Imagine this ''Agbaya'' gives Ram Small stout;Indian Hemp and dry gin ....... !!!

Absolute wickedness to animal !!!

4 Likes

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by cnwamo(m): 11:47pm On Aug 20, 2013
cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Nobody: 11:49pm On Aug 20, 2013
Why are humans so wicked? Why are they trying to turn ram against ram? Why don't they leave them to graze together in peace and harmony undecided

12 Likes

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Nebeuwa(m): 11:50pm On Aug 20, 2013
Barbarism...

When will some Nigerians join the modern world?
Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by 0108(m): 11:52pm On Aug 20, 2013
berem: LWKMD! was expecting to see names like shawn michaels,hulk hogan and other wrestlers in WWE. So what's the use of the fight when at the end the rams will end in some people's stomach? grin

grin grin grin

Klitschko nko? Holyfield.
Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by owolabifunke14(f): 11:52pm On Aug 20, 2013
They are subjcting these animals to torture and all kinds of inhuman treatments.

1 Like

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by OCTAVO: 11:54pm On Aug 20, 2013
That's serious.
Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Nobody: 11:55pm On Aug 20, 2013
plaindealer: Cruelty to animals. ... Smh..

I bet you like horse race because na Oyinbo dey do am..

6 Likes

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by passionate88: 11:55pm On Aug 20, 2013
Kwara no b northern region e dey?

2 Likes

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by 0108(m): 11:55pm On Aug 20, 2013
okpara ugo: Animal cruelty...

Why create tribalism and rivalry among animals Lagos ram, abuja ram fighting kaduna ram..

Small time, we shall see PDP ram fighting APC ram with buhari face.

Chairman, you no go kill person with laff. LMAO
Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by benzzyno(m): 11:58pm On Aug 20, 2013
shocked did anybody read one million naira....atstake....for ram fyt...! Am goin to get me a new ram::! And regista!

1 Like

Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by chiketee(m): 11:59pm On Aug 20, 2013
Isn't it bad enough we slaughter this animals for suya without their consent, to come add WWE royal RAMble for their curriculum no too make sense
Re: N1Million Placed On Ram Fights In Lagos by Nobody: 11:59pm On Aug 20, 2013
I thought games like this were illegal??

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Photos Of Buhari & Abdulsalami Abubakar At State House Today / 2019: PDP To Prune Number Of Presidential Aspirants Read M / Buhari At The Palace Of Eze Ohiri Of Obi-orodo Town, Imo State

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.