Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,703 members, 7,809,674 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:52 PM

A Lecturing Job! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / A Lecturing Job! (1795 Views)

Lecturing Job Vs MNC Job Which Do You Prefer? / Fed. Govt 1:1 Scholarship For A 5 Year Compulsory Lecturing Job. Do Or Don't Do? / How To Start A University Lecturing Career? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Lecturing Job! by EXICON(m): 7:38am On Aug 20, 2013
Greetings fellow NLanders!
I want to get knowledge from the knowledgeable ones on this forum how one can pursue a lecturing job in a Nigerian university. Teaching is my passion and I want to pursue it full time on a high scale. But in ur answer, consider these facts along:
1) A 3rd class/ 2-2 degree
2) The school isn't one's alma-mater.
What are the prospects? What possible options are avilable? How do I go achieving this dream from 1st degree holder stage? I look forward to positive and viable contributions. Let's rub minds pls. God bless us all!
Re: A Lecturing Job! by Nobody: 7:44am On Aug 20, 2013
Whats ur discipline? If its Engineering then there is a better chance cos lecturers are scarce in this field and you will still need some strong legs after ur M.ENG or even a Ph.D in case you do not have a God-father. If its other discipline then just set ur sights on a Ph.D then you should be good. Just focus and he ready to go the long haul. That's how it is in Naija o.
Re: A Lecturing Job! by EXICON(m): 8:25am On Aug 20, 2013
Guitarlife: Whats ur discipline? If its Engineering then there is a better chance cos lecturers are scarce in this field and you will still need some strong legs after ur M.ENG or even a Ph.D in case you do not have a God-father. If its other discipline then just set ur sights on a Ph.D then you should be good. Just focus and he ready to go the long haul. That's how it is in Naija o.
Thanks for your rapid response. My discipline is COMPUTER SCIENCE. How do I go about to attaining a Ph.D, putting in consideration the 1) fact above in my first post?. I also learnt,though unconfirmed that,a lecturer aspirant must have a PGD in education these days.How valid is that? Thanks.
Re: A Lecturing Job! by Nobody: 9:19am On Aug 20, 2013
PGD Education? That's a fallacy. Of course you will enrol for a master programme and then a Ph.D programme. I advise you to pursue further degree abroad if you have the means. Whatever you do, never you embark on a Ph.D programme in Nigeria. You will end up frustrated, disillusioned, depressed and worst of all you will not learn anything in the six or more years you ma spend pursuing the degree. I am rounding up my M.ENG in a Nigerian University so I am giving you first hand info.
But then, maybe its just engineering that has issue sha.
Re: A Lecturing Job! by Dehley(m): 2:36pm On Aug 20, 2013
Guitarlife: PGD Education? That's a fallacy. Of course you will enrol for a master programme and then a Ph.D programme. I advise you to pursue further degree abroad if you have the means. Whatever you do, never you embark on a Ph.D programme in Nigeria. You will end up frustrated, disillusioned, depressed and worst of all you will not learn anything in the six or more years you ma spend pursuing the degree. I am rounding up my M.ENG in a Nigerian University so I am giving you first hand info.
But then, maybe its just engineering that has issue sha.

Pls I will like to know if it's compulsory for the department to give roles to PhD students during the course of their programs and can you state the range of their monthly stipend.
Re: A Lecturing Job! by Nobody: 3:04pm On Aug 20, 2013
Dehley:

Pls I will like to know if it's compulsory for the department to give roles to PhD students during the course of their programs and can you state the range of their monthly stipend.
The faculty is broke most times. Coupled with the greed of Lecturers, you are even expected to drop some incentives for your non performing and mostly lazy supervisors for doing nothing. They know they got you by the balls so their ain't Shiite you can do. Its a terrible experience bro. Don't even think about doing a Ph.D in Naija. My two pence.
Re: A Lecturing Job! by Dehley(m): 9:26pm On Aug 20, 2013
Guitarlife: The faculty is broke most times. Coupled with the greed of Lecturers, you are even expected to drop some incentives for your non performing and mostly lazy supervisors for doing nothing. They know they got you by the balls so their ain't Shiite you can do. Its a terrible experience bro. Don't even think about doing a Ph.D in Naija. My two pence.

Thanks for the insight.
Re: A Lecturing Job! by praxx(m): 4:40am On Aug 25, 2013
My candid advice

what i will suggest you do is the following:

1. if you haven't done your masters i will suggest you do it asap (home or abroad, whether you finished with a 2nd class lower or even 3rd class there are so many schools in the UK that offer admissions regardless). Also dont be afraid to apply for scholarships as well.

2. If you already have a masters i will suggest you seriously consider doing your PhD and abroad as well cos Niaja schools might frustrate you (then again i might be wrong). consider the UK and Scotland in particular too as they offer scholarships for PhD studentships with stipends (am currently a beneficiary). Most of these studentship roles come with small paid jobs like assisting undergrad students during practicals, tutorials etc (so you'd be already ''lecturing'' while doing your PhD).

3.you can also consider the Scandinavian countries as their tuition is absolutely free, but rarely come with stipend so you will have to survive with your own savings.

4. finally you have to be prayerful as every of our plans depends on a final vetting from God

take care.
Re: A Lecturing Job! by EXICON(m): 7:00am On Aug 25, 2013
praxx: My candid advice

1. if you haven't done your masters i will suggest you do it asap (home or abroad, whether you finished with a 2nd class lower or even 3rd class there are so many schools in the UK that offer admissions regardless). Also dont be afraid to apply for scholarships as well.

2. If you already have a masters i will suggest you seriously consider doing your PhD and abroad as well cos Niaja schools might frustrate you (then again i might be wrong). consider the UK and Scotland in particular too as they offer scholarships for PhD studentships with stipends (am currently a beneficiary). Most of these studentship roles come with small paid jobs like assisting undergrad students during practicals, tutorials etc (so you'd be already ''lecturing'' while doing your PhD).

3.you can also consider the Scandinavian countries as their tuition is absolutely free, but rarely come with stipend so you will have to survive with your own savings.

4. finally you have to be prayerful as every of our plans depends on a final vetting from God

take care.
Whaoh!
This post is simy insightful. Pls, can you help me with examples of schools abroad that take ordinary 2-2 or 3rd class students (without any industry experience) for Masters in Computer science.
Thanks. Your post is awesome! Thanks for the pieces of advice. Be blessed!
Re: A Lecturing Job! by obinoral(m): 9:09pm On Aug 25, 2013
Thank god for this post. Please is there any institution dt will give scholarship to a 3rd class graduate of statistics becos i wnt to do my master straight after my NYSC.
Re: A Lecturing Job! by EXICON(m): 8:55am On Aug 26, 2013
obinoral: Thank god for this post. Please is there any institution dt will give scholarship to a 3rd class graduate of statistics becos i wnt to do my master straight after my NYSC.
Thank God for your life! 1st, are there schools in Nigeria that will admit 3rd class students for Masters programme? Let's start from there.
Re: A Lecturing Job! by obinoral(m): 9:03am On Aug 26, 2013
I dnt think there is any school that will admit a 3rd class without a pgd
Re: A Lecturing Job! by EXICON(m): 10:32am On Aug 26, 2013
obinoral: I dnt think there is any school that will admit a 3rd class without a pgd
Then why ask the possibility of a foreign scholarship for a 3rd class student?
Re: A Lecturing Job! by obinoral(m): 10:40am On Aug 26, 2013
EXICON:
Then why ask the possibility of a foreign scholarship for a 3rd class student?
Just asking and if there is none let me know Simple.
Re: A Lecturing Job! by obinoral(m): 10:44am On Aug 26, 2013
praxx: My candid advice

may be u should read this again.
Re: A Lecturing Job! by EXICON(m): 10:57am On Aug 26, 2013
obinoral: Just asking and if there is none let me know Simple.
No offences intended, pls!
We're all in the same shoes,broda. Do understand!
BTW, both of us feature big time on the 2013 PROSPECTIVE BATCH C thread on NYSC section. How are u doing?
Re: A Lecturing Job! by obinoral(m): 11:12am On Aug 26, 2013
EXICON:
No offences intended, pls!
We're all in the same shoes,broda. Do understand!
BTW, both of us feature big time on the 2013 PROSPECTIVE BATCH C thread on NYSC section. How are u doing?
No qualms bro. We batch C all the way bro.
Re: A Lecturing Job! by Nobody: 11:33am On Aug 26, 2013
obinoral: No qualms bro. We batch C all the way bro.
My guy, any latest news on our mobilization?
Re: A Lecturing Job! by obinoral(m): 11:45am On Aug 26, 2013
banttieman: My guy, any latest news on our mobilization?
Bro no news yet but will make some calls later today sha.

(1) (Reply)

Problems Of Studying Geophysics,industrial Chemistry And Geology In Nigeria / Diamond Bank Vs First Bank Nigeria (salary) / Why And How Do You Loose Your Last Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.