Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,042 members, 7,818,090 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:28 AM

Evergreen Memories - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Evergreen Memories (8505 Views)

Memories Of Cupid By Jeenah / Memories Of My Days In 100 Level / Evergreen Novels U Read Either In Primary Or Secondary School!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Evergreen Memories by MumZ(f): 5:10pm On Aug 27, 2013
Sad story, dnt likey. Sorry 4 ur loss. Like sme1 said, u ll av 2 work on ur tense. Weldone. D arabic phrase "Allah we cme 4rm n 2 Him we ll return" is used 4 d dead, nt as an exclamation. 4 exclamations most times we say d arabic phrase 4,"I seek refuge in Allah 4rm all d antics of d devil", "allhamdullilai" or "Allahu akbar" dependn on wat news we r reacting2. 1ce again kudos, look 4wrd 2 ur nxt story. Hpefully it won't brng a tear 2 my eyes.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 8:22pm On Aug 27, 2013
Mum Z :
Sad story, dnt likey. Sorry 4 ur loss. Like sme1 said, u ll av 2 work on ur tense. Weldone. D arabic phrase "Allah we cme 4rm n 2 Him we ll return" is used 4 d dead, nt as an exclamation. 4 exclamations most times we say d arabic phrase 4,"I seek refuge in Allah 4rm all d antics of d devil", "allhamdullilai" or "Allahu akbar" dependn on wat news we r reacting2. 1ce again kudos, look 4wrd 2 ur nxt story. Hpefully it won't brng a tear 2 my eyes.

Thanks Mum Z. But as I said (from Allah we are and to him we shall return) can also be as an exclamation especially on hearing bad news as Allah has said in the. Holy Quran surah 2 verse 156 (I hope you don't mind checking it up smiley)while Alhamdulillah and Allahu Akbar (We thank Allah and Allah is great respectively) are used to praise Allah especially during happy moments, if u could read thru the story once more, I believe u'll understand why my mum (in one case) exclaimed such. Sorry abt the tear grin
Re: Evergreen Memories by MumZ(f): 9:52pm On Aug 27, 2013
underage:

Thanks Mum Z. But as I said (from Allah we are and to him we shall return) can also be as an exclamation especially on hearing bad news as Allah has said in the. Holy Quran surah 2 verse 106 (I hope you don't mind checking it up smiley)while Alhamdulillah and Allahu Akbar (We thank Allah and Allah is great respectively) are used to praise Allah especially during happy moments, if u could read thru the story once more, I believe u'll understand why my mum (in one case) exclaimed such. Sorry abt the tear grin

Ok noted, mayb its cos I'm used 2 seeing it on funeral annoucemts n invites. We most use "Ahusubillahi mina shaitan ragihum" (pardon my spellings)4 sad or bad occurences.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 10:03pm On Aug 27, 2013
Mum Z :

Ok noted, mayb its cos I'm used 2 seeing it on funeral annoucemts n invites. We most use "Ahusubillahi mina shaitan ragihum" (pardon my spellings)4 sad or bad occurences.

R u Nigerian?
Re: Evergreen Memories by MumZ(f): 10:05am On Aug 28, 2013
underage:

R u Nigerian?

Full" blooded", born n bred in Nigeria, still in Nigeria. Y do u ask?
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 11:52am On Aug 28, 2013
Mum Z :

Full" blooded", born n bred in Nigeria, still in Nigeria. Y do u ask?

Because of the way u spelt d arabic phrases but I guess u r not from d north, ryt?
Re: Evergreen Memories by MumZ(f): 12:38pm On Aug 28, 2013
^^^ No am not, bt am a muslim so I'm suppose 2 knw d right spellings, bt sadly I dnt. Try 2 spell it d way I pronounce it, bt I knw d spellings r wrong.
Re: Evergreen Memories by harlos: 1:21pm On Aug 28, 2013
*sights*
Allah knows best.

Nice story from you underage.

Though i'm not used to reading long stories but i did this one and enjoyed it. Kudos.

May his soul rest in peace.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 1:41pm On Aug 28, 2013
harlos: *sights*
Allah knows best.

Nice story from you underage.

Though i'm not used to reading long stories but i did this one and enjoyed it. Kudos.

May his soul rest in peace.

Ameen. Thanks
Re: Evergreen Memories by harlos: 1:44pm On Aug 28, 2013
wink
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 1:57pm On Aug 28, 2013
harlos: wink
grin
Watch out for my next story soon
Re: Evergreen Memories by harlos: 2:21pm On Aug 28, 2013
underage:
grin
Watch out for my next story soon
No prob, i'm with you wink
Re: Evergreen Memories by Ishilove: 4:42pm On Sep 01, 2013
underage: "He sure needs your help", the strange caller responded.

Earlier in the day,I have been ( tense confusion. The subsequent sentence is in past tense ) feeling kind of strange, acting wierd and worrying over nothing in particular. My face was gloomy and I hardly paid attention to anything because my mind was carried away thinking of Basheer. I was that kind of a person who finds it hard to hide my feelings. I was always lively, you can call me a talkative who knows when and where to talk. (More inconsistencies) People always say I am smart complimenting with the way I handle situations.(Complimenting me on or complimenting the way??) I had the ability to remain calm even at the most difficult situations.
( the whole paragraph is fraught with tense inconsistencies. Consider revising )

At the age of 19, I have grown into a young woman, matured both in looks and mind. I was dark, slim and tall having curves at the right places. I had beautiful bright eyes, a pointed nose and well-shaped lips, I was indeed beautiful. ) (Tense inconsistency)

Basheer was my best friend, almost the same age as I was, a guy I have known right from my childhood.(A semi-colon should separate the two sentences) Owing to the fact we are both fulanis, he was also tall, biult (built?? Slimly built? Heavily built? What kind of build? When giving descriptions, keep it in mind that we are painting pictures with words so that we the readers can visualise what the writer is describing. It is therefore imperative that we be as clear as possible.) and had a very cute face,(a period, not a comma should follow since its a different thought you are expressing, hence, 'he' should be a capital letter) he was one of those lucky handsome and nice guys

"I would never get tired of staring at your face", I usually tease him.
(past tense. I usually teased him.)

There was something unique about Basheer, he was always smiling. He was patient, a very good listener and knew how to make a girl smile. Those qualities in him kept our friendship alive even after so many years.

"Are you there"?, the strange caller interrupted my thoughts
"Yeah", I answered rather absent-mindedly.
"Where is he now"? I asked
"The pinnacle hospital", he replied and went on "I guess you know where that is" (seperate the dialogue lines)

"Are you there"?, the strange caller interrupted my thoughts

"Yeah", I answered rather absent-mindedly.

"Where is he now"? I asked

"The pinnacle hospital", he replied and went on. "I guess you know where that is"

smiley
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 5:55pm On Sep 01, 2013
Thanks Ishilove. But could you be clear about why you bolded the last few sentences? And could you please site a few examples within the writeup about tense confusion/inconsistency (as in the wrong one and den the correct one). Thats what I don't get. smiley
Re: Evergreen Memories by Ishilove: 6:46pm On Sep 01, 2013
I bolded the last sentences because I was trying the illustrate the ideal line spacing when writing dialogue. You jammed the lines together so I separated them. Spacing them makes it easier for the reader to follow.

When writing, stick to one form of tense. If you want to write in present continous, stick to it. If past, stick to it. Switching and mixing them up is wrong and makes your writing look amateurish.

For example:

"Earlier in the day,I have been feeling kind of strange, acting wierd and worrying over nothing in particular. My face was gloomy and I hardly paid attention to anything because my mind was carried away thinking of Basheer. I was that kind of a person who finds it hard to hide my feelings. I was always lively, you can call me a talkative who knows when and where to talk.

This is how it is supposed to read:

Earlier in the day, I had been feeling kind of strange, acting weird and worrying over nothing in particular. My face was gloomy and I hardly paid attention to anything because my mind was carried away thinking of Basheer. I was that kind of a person who found it hard to hide my feelings. I was always lively; you could call me a talkative who knows when and where to talk.

You will notice I used past tense because I am giving a despcription of my temperament. I didn't switch from past to present, then back again. I was consistent.

Nice intro, by the way smiley

1 Like

Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 7:30pm On Sep 01, 2013
Ishilove: I bolded the last sentences because I was trying the illustrate the ideal line spacing when writing dialogue. You jammed the lines together so I separated them. Spacing them makes it easier for the reader to follow.

When writing, stick to one form of tense. If you want to write in present continous, stick to it. If past, stick to it. Switching and mixing them up is wrong and makes your writing look amateurish.

For example:

"Earlier in the day,I have been feeling kind of strange, acting wierd and worrying over nothing in particular. My face was gloomy and I hardly paid attention to anything because my mind was carried away thinking of Basheer. I was that kind of a person who finds it hard to hide my feelings. I was always lively, you can call me a talkative who knows when and where to talk.

This is how it is supposed to read:

Earlier in the day, I had been feeling kind of strange, acting weird and worrying over nothing in particular. My face was gloomy and I hardly paid attention to anything because my mind was carried away thinking of Basheer. I was that kind of a person who found it hard to hide my feelings. I was always lively; you could call me a talkative who knows when and where to talk.

You will notice I used past tense because I am giving a despcription of my temperament. I didn't switch from past to present, then back again. I was consistent.

Nice intro, by the way smiley

Thanks so much Ishilove, with people like you going through my works, it'll be great. I really appreciate it. May God continue to bless you with these talents, ameen. I hope u'll be here for me next time. Thanks once again
cheesy
Re: Evergreen Memories by Ishilove: 7:35pm On Sep 01, 2013
underage:

Thanks so much Ishilove, with people like you going through my works, it'll be great. I really appreciate it. May God continue to bless you with these talents, ameen. I hope u'll be here for me next time. Thanks once again
cheesy
Amen!!! And you too smiley
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 7:39pm On Sep 01, 2013
Ishilove:
Amen!!! And you too smiley
smiley
I hope to know you better; people like you inspire me
Re: Evergreen Memories by Ishilove: 8:02pm On Sep 01, 2013
underage:
smiley
I hope to know you better; people like you inspire me
I am glad lil ol' me inspires you. All thanks be to God. You have it in you. Consistency and hardwork will see you being the best of the best smiley
Re: Evergreen Memories by yemi2plus(m): 8:26pm On Sep 01, 2013
With ishilove, you have it all
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 8:28pm On Sep 01, 2013
Ishilove:
I am glad lil ol' me inspires you. All thanks be to God. You have it in you. Consistency and hardwork will see you being the best of the best smiley
I hope so grin
Re: Evergreen Memories by MacT33(m): 11:40am On Oct 07, 2013
I got to see your work through this: https://www.nairaland.com/1466615/most-painful-death-loved-one/1
I could not afford to have pass by this thread,after reading,without attesting to the fact that U're a good writer. Accept my sympathy @ Ur frnd Basheer...May he rest in Peace...
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 3:18pm On Oct 07, 2013
MacT33: I got to see your work through this: https://www.nairaland.com/1466615/most-painful-death-loved-one/1
I could not afford to have pass by this thread,after reading,without attesting to the fact that U're a good writer. Accept my sympathy @ Ur frnd Basheer...May he rest in Peace...

Ameen and thanks smiley
Re: Evergreen Memories by Miracy(f): 9:23am On Nov 03, 2013
sad sad
...sooo touching!i couldnt help myself withold the lil tears that came dripping on my face...

I wonder why death takes away our loved one without an opportunity to say goodbye...

May the soul of your friend rest in perfect peace!!

kudos to this great work,you’re a great writer;its in you...i can see you excel in it...
i really admire your qualities and i wish to be like you someday...
smiley

BTW,you’re Nai’mah or....
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 10:29am On Nov 03, 2013
Miracy: sad sad
...sooo touching!i couldnt help myself withold the lil tears that came dripping on my face...

I wonder why death takes away our loved one without an opportunity to say goodbye...

May the soul of your friend rest in perfect peace!!

kudos to this great work,you’re a great writer;its in you...i can see you excel in it...
i really admire your qualities and i wish to be like you someday...
smiley

BTW,you’re Nai’mah or....

Thnx and ameen to ur prayers smiley.
Yes I am Na'imah grin
Re: Evergreen Memories by Miracy(f): 12:30pm On Nov 03, 2013
underage:

Thnx and ameen to ur prayers smiley.
Yes I am Na'imah grin
thats nice ma’am cheesy
Re: Evergreen Memories by lolabridget(f): 1:37pm On Nov 03, 2013
Wow Madan underage, this is anoda wonderfull story. So sorry for ur friend
Re: Evergreen Memories by Nobody: 10:19pm On Nov 10, 2013
Y did I read it n d nyt?
Y did u(underage) av to take tears 4rm my eyes tonyt?sadsad

Wallahi,I felt my h@ constrict n d tears fell freely...

Ya Rabb
Re: Evergreen Memories by Jhymrod(f): 2:57pm On Nov 12, 2013
Sorry for your lost ma'm,may Allah grant him Aljannah Firdous.
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 1:18pm On Nov 13, 2013
lola_bridget: Wow Madan underage, this is anoda wonderfull story. So sorry for ur friend

Thanks smiley
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 1:21pm On Nov 13, 2013
Candis009: Y did I read it n d nyt?
Y did u(underage) av to take tears 4rm my eyes tonyt?sadsad

Wallahi,I felt my h@ constrict n d tears fell freely...

Ya Rabb

cry cry cry
Re: Evergreen Memories by underage(f): 1:22pm On Nov 13, 2013
Jhymrod: Sorry for your lost ma'm,may Allah grant him Aljannah Firdous.

Ameen, thnx smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Agonies Of Fatherhood / A Night With My Lady / Debt From Home. ( a killer's instinct)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.