Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,581 members, 7,955,136 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 05:48 PM

What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body (30743 Views)

Man Selling Expired Yogurt In Kaduna Dealt With (photos) / The Best Food To Eat At Night To Avoid Bad Dreams / What Are The Health Benefits Of Drinking/ Soaking Garri ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by oldlord(m): 3:20pm On Aug 22, 2013
if one mistakely eat a spoiled or expired food, what are the side effect or reaction? can spoiled or expired food damage our organs or cause malfunction of any human part or death? Medical practitions in the house, your opinion is highly need
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by akuji: 3:28pm On Aug 22, 2013
Depending on the type of food and how far gone it is into expiry or spoilness (if that s a word).
Some foods are ok for a couple of days after its official expiry date, others release harmful toxins becos the chemicals used to preserve it has run out or depleted. Some, especially fresh food, will give you food poisoning if they look very spoilt and rotten. Op this ur question is one kind sef...r u picking ur food from dustbin? To be honest, if the food looks spoilt and rotten and smells bad then you should already know not to eat it. Doesnt really need a medical head to know that. Your body is a temple not a dustbin. Hope this helps. Peace out

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by naijacutee(f): 3:43pm On Aug 22, 2013
Most people can eat expired food without any side effects. I think the main concerns are a decline in taste, and maybe the packaging might look less attractive. in fact in most Western countries, many families save a lot of money buy buying only expired food, and there are businesses (for example, http://www.approvedfood.co.uk) set up to just sell expired food at less than half the original price.

Here is the opinion of medical experts on expired food: http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/features/do-food-expiration-dates-matter
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by oldlord(m): 5:15pm On Aug 22, 2013
akuji: Depending on the type of food and how far gone it is into expiry or spoilness (if that s a word).
Some foods are ok for a couple of days after its official expiry date, others release harmful toxins becos the chemicals used to preserve it has run out or depleted. Some, especially fresh food, will give you food poisoning if they look very spoilt and rotten. Op this ur question is one kind sef...r u picking ur food from dustbin? To be honest, if the food looks spoilt and rotten and smells bad then you should already know not to eat it. Doesnt really need a medical head to know that. Your body is a temple not a dustbin. Hope this helps. Peace out
i appreciate ur comment , but u are so matured and educated to end it with insulte. Read m first line, i said "Mistakely" and not on purpose. Some food u have in ur house may look ok but may nt b too gud enough to eat and not necesserily eating from dust bin
In a case where u have eat it and discover d expiring date is overdue?
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by Nobody: 1:49am On Aug 23, 2013
Bacteria!!!!!!

These buggers can make or break you. When food is spoilt (not necessarily past its 'sell-by' date) and you eat it, you are acting against science and/or common sense. Information is seldom arbitrary. People have their own experiences, but I'd not often wish to experiment on myself.
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by akuji: 7:22am On Aug 23, 2013
Bia OP...who is insulting you? That s the thing with us nigerians...we cannot differentiate between sarcastic humour and real insult. Forget sha...carry ur post go...I don't know why I bothered replying since you ain't open to a little humour. *rolls eyes*

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by prettyjo(f): 2:56am On Aug 24, 2013
To the best of my knowledge.Spoilage organisms are not pathogenic to human.for example,d bread mold(wen a bread spoils dia are organisms on it e.g mucor,rhizopus etc. Besides d level of d spoilage matters But never consume a spoilt food.
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by Nobody: 5:00am On Aug 24, 2013
akuji: Bia OP...who is insulting you? That s the thing with us nigerians...we cannot differentiate between sarcastic humour and real insult. Forget sha...carry ur post go...I don't know why I bothered replying since you ain't open to a little humour. *rolls eyes*

What kind of humor is that one undecided.

I expected u to apologize and here you are rolling euyes. Clearly, the OP felt insulted, what you should have done, even if you meant no harm is to apologize.

On topic,

I think it's based on the bacteria it releases. Some bacteria are good for the bodies while some are not. Always check the expiry date of your purchases before consumption

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by ebamma3: 1:49pm On Aug 26, 2013
Garri has no best before or expiry date, chop only garri, if u no wan chop expired food

3 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by bana91(m): 2:03pm On Aug 26, 2013
@ebamma me dey feel u jare garri no get expiry date tru tru.
@topic i tink eating expired food depends on how long the food has expired, take for example a product that will expire 3 years after production can still be consumed a couple of month after expiration.
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by martin1772(m): 2:04pm On Aug 26, 2013
Ok
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by Nobody: 2:06pm On Aug 26, 2013
some expired food can still be eaten 1 months after the expiry date.....after that,you are on your own.
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by Fazhy: 2:08pm On Aug 26, 2013
I have heard people say once it's not over 6 months, it's still safe to consume.

Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by Nobody: 2:08pm On Aug 26, 2013
As soon as I see mould on the food or smell some funky odour, its going straight in the bin.
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by Nobody: 2:09pm On Aug 26, 2013
Also I never eat food thats gone past its sell by date. I just can't undecided
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by Burger01(m): 2:09pm On Aug 26, 2013
ebamma 3: Garri has no best before or expiry date, chop only garri, if u no wan chop expired food

Garry is the best one can think of. He nor get expiry date, he dey rugged grin and na express food.. Just chop and go.. grin
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by seniourman(m): 2:11pm On Aug 26, 2013
get get your artificial pernis to decieve ur frame and stripp abusers visit www.realmagik.com
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by Arosa(m): 2:22pm On Aug 26, 2013
Who said garri has no expiry date? guys don't push your luck too far. lipsrsealed I think its time NAFDAC makes it mandatory for all garri sellers to have expiry date on their garri. Because garri do go bad.
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by Adrenaline123(m): 2:27pm On Aug 26, 2013
Best before is different from expire.
You can manage BB but dont try eating expired food

1 Like

Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by Nobody: 2:29pm On Aug 26, 2013
Noted
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by tosomaju(m): 2:31pm On Aug 26, 2013
Na 3days bread sure pass grin grin grin
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by Lagusta(m): 2:47pm On Aug 26, 2013
please guys, do not eat expired canned food, especially when one side is bulging out, because of botulism. the botulinum toxin is one of the most powerful and also one of the most dangerous natural toxins in the world......
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by purpinkx(m): 2:59pm On Aug 26, 2013
This one is strong
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by purpinkx(m): 3:02pm On Aug 26, 2013
Gala biggie '

MFD :15/08/2013
EXP :25/08/2013

but people still eat it cheesy

why give it 10days
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by Clemzy16(m): 3:20pm On Aug 26, 2013
akuji: Bia OP...who is insulting you? That s the thing with us nigerians...we cannot differentiate between sarcastic humour and real insult. Forget sha...carry ur post go...I don't know why I bothered replying since you ain't open to a little humour. *rolls eyes*
tnkz jare. Ah actually wnt bak to read the comment buh couldn't find any comment. Most nigerians dnt knw wen one is jokin or serious. And itz annoying the way dey jump into conclusion.

™ƺƔcιεмεηт®

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by InvertedHammer: 3:33pm On Aug 26, 2013
/
Expiry date means the product is in its Best Shape by the date. Some companies use BB:Best Before instead of Expiry Date.

If you consume expired food/drug post expiration date, nothing will happen.

The efficacy is reduced but you will not die...Emphasis mine

/
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by wheesin(m): 3:38pm On Aug 26, 2013
j
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by Thorgan: 3:40pm On Aug 26, 2013
Chillisauce:

What kind of humor is that one undecided.

I expected u to apologize and here you are rolling euyes. Clearly, the OP felt insulted, what you should have done, even if you meant no harm is to apologize.

On topic,

I think it's based on the bacteria it releases. Some bacteria are good for the bodies while some are not. Always check the expiry date of your purchases before consumption
U 4 say make him con prostrate 4 ur house nah.All this extremely old pple sef wey just full nl dis days.
As 4 expired food.me chop one gala like dat lst week and I got to know it was expired after eating.the thing abt expired date on food is that they are nt reaaly expired on d day witten on d product but after a week or a mth,depending on the product:I think it's just a precautionery measure.
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by wheesin(m): 3:41pm On Aug 26, 2013
nice and yummy...wat of rotten pap plus okro and indomie cheesy ...delicious ...

ESE ?
Re: What Are The Health Effects Of Eating Expired Or Spoiled Food To Human Body by Phygo(m): 4:07pm On Aug 26, 2013
Eating an expired or spoiled food is unhealthy and dangerous. A food is said 2 expire or spoiled when it is attackd by micröorganisms, this organisms use up d nutrients and deposite toxins in d food.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Efirin/scented Leaf Soup / Man Chokes To Death During Eating Contest On Christmas Day In Uganda / Pictures Of The World’s Most Dangerous Foods

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.