Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,832 members, 7,817,431 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:12 PM

Google in Yoruba - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Google in Yoruba (26617 Views)

Female Regents In Yoruba Land. / Mrs Dike An Igbo Citizen To Become The First Female OBA In Yoruba / Google In Igbo Language (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Google in Yoruba by hotangel2(f): 2:43pm On Aug 25, 2005
WHich languages can you help them with?
Re: Google in Yoruba by obong(m): 2:47pm On Aug 25, 2005
any langauge you are fluent in. You just sign up and start translating. But they have to first include your language.

these are the lnaguages available

http://www.google.com/language_tools?hl=en
Re: Google in Yoruba by hotangel2(f): 2:49pm On Aug 25, 2005
Okay. I am not in. lipsrsealed
Re: Google in Yoruba by obong(m): 2:49pm On Aug 25, 2005
ok
Re: Google in Yoruba by hotangel2(f): 2:50pm On Aug 25, 2005
Does that make me not helpful/usless?
Re: Google in Yoruba by obong(m): 2:59pm On Aug 25, 2005
no. i wasnt expecting you to help or do anything. It was just for your info.
Re: Google in Yoruba by hotangel2(f): 3:00pm On Aug 25, 2005
Okay. smiley
Re: Google in Yoruba by kodewrita(m): 4:25pm On Aug 25, 2005
someone here claimed its not useful since most of the Yorubas with access to the net can speak English as well. Obviously you have not been browsing regularly in cafes in nigeria otherwise you would have met many clueless people. of course its not perfect, i searched for the keyword yoruba and the results were in english though the google messages and the button names were in yoruba, but its a good start.

As to whether Hausa would have been better, thats subjective. If you grew up in a household where Yoruba was the mode of communication that would not have been a problem. Chinese is similar to yoruba because it is also a tonal language. that doesn't mean we should stop speaking it because we spent eighteen years in school.
Re: Google in Yoruba by Chxta(m): 4:36pm On Aug 25, 2005
We keep f*cking up! Nigeria's not on that list!!
Re: Google in Yoruba by hotangel2(f): 4:36pm On Aug 25, 2005
Gosh i wanted to say the same. The Nigerian Flag is not on the list!
Re: Google in Yoruba by obong(m): 4:45pm On Aug 25, 2005
Im sure its easy to get us on that list. no one is paying attention to it though
Re: Google in Yoruba by joftech(m): 8:45pm On Aug 25, 2005
Obviously you have not been browsing regularly in cafes in nigeria otherwise you would have met many clueless people

it would have been a good thingy if search result pages are in Yoruba as well, then maybe i will be able to take that home to my grandma.
Re: Google in Yoruba by Seun(m): 5:53pm On Aug 28, 2005
Re: Google in Yoruba by dayotutu(m): 11:21am On Aug 29, 2005
Abeg enough of this google no suppose use Yoruba, na Hausa dem suppose use....it's crazy! Anything google use, we should be proud that at least dem recognize one of our local languages. Let's hope we go soon get www.yahoo.ng ( yahoo nigeria). If anybody no like wetin google do, make he go sue them for court. We don start again? Bad belle, na that no let Nigeria develop. Abeg make we carry go for google in yoruba
Re: Google in Yoruba by obong(m): 2:49pm On Aug 29, 2005
i dont think anyoen feels it should not be yoruba. someone was just pointing out that hausa has more reach. either way its good
Re: Google in Yoruba by kazey(m): 12:09pm On Aug 30, 2005
Hmm just the interface? This search results are not in yoruba. yahoo.ng cheesy Yahoo hasnt even gone to South Africa tongue
Re: Google in Yoruba by akinwunmi(m): 6:57pm On Sep 02, 2005
We need it, afterall Google has an Arabic version? But I don't see peope using it. Or you want to ask your grandma to browse the net for you? Because that age group - and people from the village - are those that still read news in the Yoruba language. But to me, it's the best thing that will ever happen to the Yoruba folks and the whole of Nigeria. Ride free, my people.
Re: Google in Yoruba by fataiiyo(m): 6:06pm On Sep 10, 2005
So great to hear this! Hey, this shows that my people Nigeria have started to develop! grin
Re: Google in Yoruba by deduice: 2:43pm On Nov 13, 2005
Hey Guys, I think this is a good development for we guys in Nigeria, we all should try as much as we can to help google in achieving these goal. As for me, I'm going to help them in both Language, because I can speak both language fluently. This is the time to show the stuff you are made for.
Deduice.
Naija 4 Life.
Re: Google in Yoruba by Nobody: 4:12pm On Nov 25, 2005
no no no if they put yoruba they must put Esan
Re: Google in Yoruba by Scorpio(f): 5:25pm On Nov 25, 2005
cheesy
Re: Google in Yoruba by kbstar(m): 7:03pm On Jan 07, 2006
It's really cool. The translators will be doing a great job out there. Hot-angel, my language is not 'igbira' but Ebira(meaning good custom). I wonder why most people spell or pronounce it as 'igbira' it is 'Ebira'
Re: Google in Yoruba by dafman(m): 2:04pm On Jan 10, 2006
you would need a Ph.d in yoruba to be able to read the search results cheesy
Re: Google in Yoruba by Z4M4eva(f): 12:21pm On Jan 12, 2006
That's kool...google in yoruba
Re: Google in Yoruba by Bigtee(m): 4:11pm On Jan 19, 2006
THis the begining of the NAIJA WORLD POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!
Watch out for us!

Successchild
Re: Google in Yoruba by dblock(m): 11:36pm On Jan 21, 2006
Cool, I checked it out but couldn't understand most of the words. I'm a disgrace
Re: Google in Yoruba by omogenaija(f): 9:38pm On Feb 13, 2006
I know I am young so i am still dumb,  but if its google in yoruba how come the search results come back in english ? I was just wondering ,  but please cry crysomebody answer my question,  embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: Google in Yoruba by joftech(m): 2:09am On Mar 12, 2006
I know I am young so i am still dumb, but if its google in yoruba how come the search results come back in english Huh? I was just wondering , but please Cry crysomebody answer my question, Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

The reason why the results come back in English and some other languages is because those pages are not created in Yoruba, and it's nearly impossible for all content (websites) to have all the languages of the world.

Basically what's Yoruba is the Google interface (website), not the real results.

But you can help Google in converting contents of other pages to Yoruba if you can volunteer.
Re: Google in Yoruba by shawna(f): 6:20am On Jun 13, 2006
honestly is this for real undecided undecided undecided
if it is, is it really necessary
Re: Google in Yoruba by molluma(f): 4:23pm On Jun 13, 2006
well necesary or not.its cool.
Re: Google in Yoruba by kellorah: 8:29pm On Jul 18, 2006
does it translate yoruba lyrics? undecided
Re: Google in Yoruba by WesleyanA(f): 8:31pm On Jul 18, 2006
molluma:

well necesary or not.its cool.

cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Today In Ondo Town, Ladies Are Not Allowed To Go Out / Oba Ewuare II Suspends Community Development Associations In Benin Kingdom / Culture Shock: Have You Ever Experienced It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.