Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,960 members, 7,828,404 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam (3333 Views)

IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam / Buhari Overthrew Shagari Over $2.8b Oil Scam: Tinubu Wants APC VP Slot – Ikimi / Ibb Not Dead (RUMOUR) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by Nobody: 7:29pm On Aug 26, 2013
THE N0RTH ARE THE PROBLEM OF THIS C0UNTRY....!!! IBOS ARE JUST FOLLOW FOLLOW DOG....

1 Like

Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by Kc3000: 11:52pm On Aug 26, 2013
Col. Nyiam clearly stated in this interview that someone who was coerced into a coup plot is a participant in the plot, because the individual had the options of remaining loyal to the government or going along with the plot. Excerpt from the interview:

"Could it be a defence in the military to say I wasn’t part of a coup, I was just brought in?

It couldn’t be a defence because at the point you know that it is a coup, you should do everything possible to resist it."

So, don't take this man's statements out of context. Buhari is a coup plotter proper.....he willfully participated in the ejection of a democratically elected government.

If memory serves me right, I recall an interview in which Maj. Jokolo Rtd ( former Emir of Gwandu, ADC to Buhari, and an actor in the 1983 coup plot) suggested that there were three factions that were planning a coup about the same time, with the Buhari camp eventually joining forces with the IBB camp. I don't know the validity of his claims, but seriously, with the way the military was constituted at the point, nobody was really in a position to stop these guys. Similarly, when IBB toppled Buhari, both Buhari and Idiagbon were so isolated in the Army that anybody that mattered had already signed off on their removal, and their wasn't going to be much resistance either. Come to think of it, same can be said of the coups that removed Gowon, and that which brought Abacha into power.

Also, the coup that toppled Gowon and ushered in Murtala Mohammed was not led by Murtala Mohammed(he probably led the counter-coup of 1966). Yar'Adua, Babangida, Joe Garba, Anthony Ochefu( and others) were the principal actors. Murtala knew of the coup but had no involvement. He is a part of the coup because he knew about it, did not resist it, and accepted to lead the resultant government. Actually, the plotters offered the Head of State job to others when they had disagreements with Murtala on how the government should be ran. By the way, our saint Buhari was also involved in this coup. . .but he is free to fool those that he can.
Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by Nobody: 12:42am On Aug 27, 2013
naptu2:

Jan 1966: Emmanuel Ifeajuna

Jul 1966: Murtala Muhammed

1975: Shehu Yar'Adua/Joseph Garba

1976: The guy that was arrested at the hospital (can't remember his name)/Dimka

1983: IBB

1985: IBB

1993: Abacha

(The 1986 plot did not get to the execution stage before it was detected and aborted).

I just cross-checked. You're right - thanks for the correction.
Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by Kc3000: 12:44am On Aug 27, 2013
^^^^No problem bros.
Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by Nobody: 12:47am On Aug 27, 2013
I guess the info in the link below is incorrect:

•15th January 1966 Nigeria first coup was by Major Kaduna Nzeogwu which led to the death of many including Alhaji Abubakar Tafawa Balewa, the then prime minister.
•29th July 1966, a bloody coup led by Col. Yakubu Gowon, which claimed the life of Major General JTU Aguyi Ironsi and many others.
•29th July 1975, a third coup led by General Murtala Mohammed against General Yakubu Gowon and was successful.
•13th February 1976, a fourth coup occured. This one was led by Col. Dinka which resulted to the death of the then Head of State, General Murtala Mohammed.
•31st December 1983, the fifth coup which was led by Major General Ibrahim B. Buhari against Alhaji Shehu Shagari took place and was successful.
•27th August 1985, the sixth coup led by Major General Ibrahim B. Babangida against General Buhari, this coup was claimed to be bloodless and settled amicably.
•1987 seventh coup sponsored by Major General Vasta but failed.
•April 1990, a bloody coup led by one Major Gideon Orka but failed.
•17th November 1993, a palace coup led by General Sani Abacha against Chief Ernest Shonekan and was successful.
•1995 General(Rtd) Olusegun Obasanjo, General(Rtd) Shehu Musa Yar'Adua and others where alleged of coup plotting and were arrested and detained.
•21st December 1998, Lt General Doinalson Oladipo Diya and others were alleged of coup plotting.

Wait oh,

"Major General Ibrahim B. Buhari?" shocked

grin
Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by naptu2: 4:28am On Aug 27, 2013
HNosegbe:

Wait oh,

grin

grin
Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by erinolu(m): 9:52am On Aug 27, 2013
shocked
HNosegbe: I guess the info in the link below is incorrect:

Wait oh,

grin

Funny !!!
Re: IBB, Not Buhari, Overthrew Shagari’s Govt — Col. Nyiam by Nobody: 11:37am On Aug 27, 2013
Kc3000: Col. Nyiam clearly stated in this interview that someone who was coerced into a coup plot is a participant in the plot, because the individual had the options of remaining loyal to the government or going along with the plot. Excerpt from the interview:

"Could it be a defence in the military to say I wasn’t part of a coup, I was just brought in?

It couldn’t be a defence because at the point you know that it is a coup, you should do everything possible to resist it."

So, don't take this man's statements out of context. Buhari is a coup plotter proper.....he willfully participated in the ejection of a democratically elected government.

If memory serves me right, I recall an interview in which Maj. Jokolo Rtd ( former Emir of Gwandu, ADC to Buhari, and an actor in the 1983 coup plot) suggested that there were three factions that were planning a coup about the same time, with the Buhari camp eventually joining forces with the IBB camp. I don't know the validity of his claims, but seriously, with the way the military was constituted at the point, nobody was really in a position to stop these guys. Similarly, when IBB toppled Buhari, both Buhari and Idiagbon were so isolated in the Army that anybody that mattered had already signed off on their removal, and their wasn't going to be much resistance either. Come to think of it, same can be said of the coups that removed Gowon, and that which brought Abacha into power.

Also, the coup that toppled Gowon and ushered in Murtala Mohammed was not led by Murtala Mohammed(he probably led the counter-coup of 1966). Yar'Adua, Babangida, Joe Garba, Anthony Ochefu( and others) were the principal actors. Murtala knew of the coup but had no involvement. He is a part of the coup because he knew about it, did not resist it, and accepted to lead the resultant government. Actually, the plotters offered the Head of State job to others when they had disagreements with Murtala on how the government should be ran. By the way, our saint Buhari was also involved in this coup. . .but he is free to fool those that he can.
Sir, you just wasted my time reading this by saying a whole lot of nothing.

(1) (2) (Reply)

21-year-old Redeemer University Student Slits Father’s Throat With Machete / My Take On Buhari's Declaration - Cramjones / The Helicopters That Evacuated CDS Badeh’s Family From Mubi: A Lesson For All

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.