Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,559 members, 7,820,018 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:31 AM

NERC Promises Improved Power Supply - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / NERC Promises Improved Power Supply (5148 Views)

Improved Power Supply Is Not Sustainable, Electricity Employees Explain / ‘ Why There Is Improved Power Supply’ - Acting MD YEDC / Jega Promises Improved 2015 Elections As Senator Rules Out Electronic Voting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by olokfor: 9:39am On Aug 25, 2013
The chairman of Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, Dr. Sam Amadi, has assured Nigerians that the challenges faced by Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN, will soon be a thing of the past, as his commission had given licenses to companies that understand the major challenge facing Nigeria in the sector to generate power.
He also spoke of plans to increase power supply in the country to 9,000 megawatts, but he noted that the plans would still not beenough for a country as large as Nigeria.

Speaking during a joint workshop organised by Journalists for Democratic Rights (JODER) and the Nigerian Human Rights Community (NHCR) in Lagos at the weekend, Dr. Sam Amadi, the Chairman of NERC, said the support of Nigerians and civil society organisations was crucial to helping the sector .

While emphasising on other issues concerning the power sector, he urged the human rights society to getorganised and set up a civil society group that would be in a position to represent the communities for public hearing, which should either be funded by the government or organisations.

“This group should create a coalition that would be called ‘consumer advocate’ believing it would affect thelives of the people. Nigerians should come together and partner with NERC through the human right groups in the country to handle the situation and look for a way forward,” he added.

He said the plan was to have 6,000 megawatts in 2012 at N24 per unit cost, adding that everybody was not supposed to pay the same amount because of the state of the very poor people in the society who consume very little energy.

“No one will want to invest on Power Holding Company of Nigeria (PHCN) unless they know how they can get their money back…South Africa for instance, produces 40,000 megawattswith 40 workers while Nigeria produces 4,000 with 40 workers also, which is not rational and people are the ones loosing, South Africa has about 42,000 while India is about to add another 100,000,” he said.

Amadi stressed that the N24 cost was changed to N4 per unit and was madepossible through subsidy, explaining that low tension and maximum demand have no subsidy because theconnection is directly from the transformer.

Also reacting to the increased service charge by PHCN from N500 to N750, he stated that what should bother Nigerians is effectiveness of the service not the charges.

His words: “Although the service charge ordinarily looks much, it is nothing compared to the N180,000 compulsory service charge industrialists pay monthly. What I think we should bother ourselves withnow is how effective is the service going to be soon.”

www.metronaija.com/nerc-promises-improved-power-supply/

Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by Nobody: 10:19am On Aug 25, 2013
is it too hard for dis people to shut up? i hate we will, i like we have!!!!

3 Likes

Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by librangyps(f): 10:22am On Aug 25, 2013
notify us when it has actually become a thing of the past, all this 'we will soon do this and that..... we hav signed papers,.... we have awarded contracts... ' no be today something....... do it! and we will applaud u and hype ur effort just like we are doing now with the enugu airport. no be promises and paper we go chop.

1 Like

Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by generalJumong1(m): 10:22am On Aug 25, 2013
Well I believe one day we will witness uninterrupted power supply for a Whole week.is a pity I have nt set my eye on light since three days ago

1 Like

Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by Okworigeorge(m): 10:22am On Aug 25, 2013
which party is he? He talks like our usual politicians
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by cold(m): 10:22am On Aug 25, 2013
Enough of the shenanigans! Just give us light,simples! Isn't it ironic that a so called religious nation like Nigeria can't even hold hold up the very first principle of creation;'let there be light'..sigh

2 Likes

Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by obeleking(m): 10:23am On Aug 25, 2013
Interesting.
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by victorkool(m): 10:24am On Aug 25, 2013
First to comment.brb
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by 2map(m): 10:24am On Aug 25, 2013
No change,even worse.
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by Pretyangel25(f): 10:24am On Aug 25, 2013
Am tired of hearing we will. Is upto 2months now no light here so it doesn't change anyting.I thank God for this my I better pass my Neighbour
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by tuttifrutti: 10:24am On Aug 25, 2013
Seeing is believing...thats all im sayin
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by theoctopus: 10:25am On Aug 25, 2013
googlepikin: is it too hard for dis people to shut up? i hate we will, i like we have!!!!

They cannot shut up. While they are working, they must give us a progress report and regular updates, else how will we know they are working at all? Transforming decades of darkness is not a 24 hour job. What we should do as citizens is scrutinized the reports they bring and critically analyzed where we are on the road map.

These reports are very important to many people. If you don't like it, just skip the thread. There are many other threads you can read.
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by adezzy01(m): 10:26am On Aug 25, 2013
we would soon increase d power supply up2 9000mw dont wory naija. Hmmmmm fools of d 1st order ,since 13yrs ago ok ooo . F**ls ar waitin but not me.
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by emmakind: 10:28am On Aug 25, 2013
i wish nigerians would one day take up challenges against the power sector. it is high time we refuse to pay for services not rendered. perhaps, disconnecting our homes from the national grid would be a good way to press home our demands since most of us spend much fueling
our generators on a monthly basis

3 Likes

Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by teeshawt(m): 10:33am On Aug 25, 2013
puhahahahahaha this pple just dey make me laugh as am used to my gen set.

any mechanic in the house? my generator needs servicing .......
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by Nobody: 10:33am On Aug 25, 2013
Another empty promise 4rm a rheeetarded govt!

1 Like

Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by exbash: 10:38am On Aug 25, 2013
E b like say no light for the office sef... see as the office dark grin.

1 Like

Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by gameboy727(m): 10:39am On Aug 25, 2013
In Hotoro in Kano State we receive an approximated 4hrs light in a week. If not for generators eh only God would know how man pikin go charge battery.
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 25, 2013
higher tarriffs coming soon
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by dareyking(m): 10:45am On Aug 25, 2013
Senator (Y emma) broda....#Lobatan....Darelee on Nairalee..
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by Nobody: 11:07am On Aug 25, 2013
Hw many times hv we been told dat?

*now playing* Eldee - na wash
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by GenOrumov: 11:12am On Aug 25, 2013
googlepikin: is it too hard for dis people to shut up? i hate we will, i like we have!!!!
Please cool your temper. Even the 'we have' will soon turn to tales by moonlight. Tangible developments in Nigeria always tend to relapse.
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by Man90(m): 12:14pm On Aug 25, 2013
First of all....
First of all....
First of all....
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 25, 2013
theoctopus:

They cannot shut up. While they are working, they must give us a progress report and regular updates, else how will we know they are working at all? Transforming decades of darkness is not a 24 hour job. What we should do as citizens is scrutinized the reports they bring and critically analyzed where we are on the road map.

These reports are very important to many people. If you don't like it, just skip the thread. There are many other threads you can read.

And what is dis one saying? Ur papa na NEPA? Sm1 jst expressed his opinion, d least u can do is express urs n move on.
And yes, transforming darkness to light can happen in 24hrs, 24 minutes even, if they really set to work...mtcheew, my gen dne off sef because of u.
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by VoteOutPDPJona: 12:51pm On Aug 25, 2013
librangyps: notify us when it has actually become a thing of the past, all this 'we will soon do this and that..... we hav signed papers,.... we have awarded contracts... ' no be today something....... do it! and we will applaud u and hype ur effort just like we are doing now with the enugu airport. no be promises and paper we go chop.

Thanks. You just pointed out the same rhetoric used by ASO ROCK occupants since May 1999. Thank goodness Nigerians are no longer buying into those lies.

1 Like

Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by emeviks: 12:53pm On Aug 25, 2013
All we are saying*music*give us 1-day uninterrupted power supply.
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by JAkpayen(m): 12:59pm On Aug 25, 2013
If a slave sells his inheritance to his master, what do you expect? If PHCN is handed over to generator importers, what do you expect? Abeg all na wash the man dey tell us. grin grin
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by maxisfield(f): 1:08pm On Aug 25, 2013
#WASH#
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by moshoodn(m): 1:37pm On Aug 25, 2013
Pretyangel25: Am tired of hearing we will. Is upto 2months now no light here so it doesn't change anyting.I thank God for this my I better pass my Neighbour

Do we live in the same area?

Cos this is the eight week and running since they blinked the light.. ..
Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by bright007(f): 2:31pm On Aug 25, 2013
PHCN is the biggest scam of our time,
You compulsorily pay for unrendered services.
To the management of PHCN~ as you collect my money without giving me light, that money shall never serve a good purpose in your lives, rather it will bring darkness to your lives.

1 Like

Re: NERC Promises Improved Power Supply by tlaret24(m): 2:39pm On Aug 25, 2013
i ve a drim dat 1day nigeria wil ve a stable power supply,support the gov wit ur prayer itz nt mission impossible."yes we can" obama

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos Of How Africans Sit Atop Border Fence In A Desperate Move To Enter Spain / The IPOB Were Responsible For The Explosion In Benin Yesterday / Mrs Ebelechukwu Obiano Takes Over From Willie As Governor ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.