Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,843 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:59 AM

Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines (10961 Views)

Ridiculous Mileage Of Tokunbo Vehicles / Nairaland Cars At Ridiculous Prices / N.land Auto Dealers And Ridiculous Prices For Nigerian Used Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Builder: 12:45am On Jun 13, 2008
Whatever would happen to the fines been paid? to whom wld the fines be paid to and what will be the end result and how would the fines paid be used

to improve the roads and life of lagosians, afterall people have been paying toll-gate fares for decades and they never see the results. I just hope this

isnt another gimmick for those Vagabonds-in-power to fatten their pockets
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by landre: 1:30am On Jun 13, 2008
@ olowotee

Exactly what i expect from a lawyer-Governor cant wait to see more laws. I am glad your location is in nigeria and you are talking about Youth Development which made me reply your post cos normally i would just move on.

Now talking about lagos state do you aware of these projects in lagos state, Eko atlantic city, Energy city, Lekki free trade zone, Lekki port and more , all these need investors and no serious investor would come to a place like lagos unless we begin to change from what is on ground.

However maybe you thinking whats that got to do with Youth development, am glad to let yu know its got to do with everything , jobs, jobs, jobs and more jobs and i think Lagos is in the right direction except for two things, security and power which i know they are on top of it and we all know those who are fustrating their effort.

Anyway i think what we should be focusing on is how those fine would be use effectively.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Nobody: 4:31am On Jun 13, 2008
"Abandoned vehicles like mini-bus, jeeps and cars attracts fine of N50,000". - Lagos state govt.

At least people who drive SUVs except jeeps can make a case in the law court if harrassed. grin

"i have a mercedes jeep" grin grin tongue
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by connkg(m): 6:26am On Jun 13, 2008
Well, well, well,

It's in Lagos again.
For me, I will try to link up with a pressure group in the National House of Assembly.
Road Traffic Laws, should define, among other things,
1. The speed limit for "Emergency Services", which now include spurious convoys
2. Road worthiness standards for the Police squad cars that contain policemen that threaten road worthiness sanctions
3. Better delineated roads, with obviously visible road signs
4. A semblance of database management for drivers and road users
5.A reduction in the stated fines (as I foresee a lot of mysterious disappearances for "20 days"wink
6. Laws for aggrieved menbers of the public to have recourse to Law Courts
7. Constitutional method of approach for the arrest of offenders ,

I could go on, but the Lagos State Govt, should have run this by someone from the National Institute for Policy and Strategic Studies (NIPSS, Kuru).
It sounds raw (but could[i][/i] be effective)
, just my view
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by EloSela(f): 7:15am On Jun 13, 2008
fotodaddy:

papillo cool down. What he said might be subjective but not a lie!!! There are conditions for everything but one thing is for sure; no free lunch in freetown. So even if you make a call to AA, you must have taken the policy first!!!

But you don't get a fine which is what the other poster stated! You don't have to have a policy to receive road side assistance when you break down on the motorway in the uk. Albeit expensive you can still pay on the spot for the service.

What are the speed limits in Lagos? wouldn't it be better to make those public knowledge first before being so eager to collect fines?
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by NosaHenry(m): 7:54am On Jun 13, 2008
Setting rules are good but the ability to implement those rules is another question. Let me ask, for instance, how can a civil servant in Lagos state employment with a wage of 7,500 a month pay a fine of 250,000 for breaking traffic law? It is simply inrealistic and can only make law enforcers e.g the Police more corrupt. Also who are the rules meant for? Because the Nigeria force men have the perchant of violating traffic rules and nobody seems to question this.
Lagos state govt should reconsider the fines in order to make the law enforceable.
God bless Nigeria.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Ovamboland(m): 8:51am On Jun 13, 2008
On second thought the fees outrageous and unrealistic as it is, may help to develop our law enforcement and judicial system.

How do i mean? Consider the scenario where a police or LASTMA official slaps a 250,000 fine on me, considering that we operate the English common law system, the onus of proof rests with the law enforcement to show i committed the offence.

i better look for a lawyer to defend me and collect 50,000 or less than pay 250,000 away. Then maybe government will be forced to install camera at important junctions , and maybe, maybe only, they will also look into stable power supply to run the cameras undecided
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Onyocha: 9:48am On Jun 13, 2008
lol,lastma and co. have got a new supply to market to the people.

i find it very difficult to understand why would someone take one way under normal circumstances.i once took one way in VI by mistake.i never knew it was one way.instead of the lastma officers to station themselves at the entrance of the road (to tell people to go back),they stationed themselves at the end of the road in a way that no one would notice them.after you've committed the offence they will follow you with their bike and try to exort money.they're happy the law is violated!violation=customer!!!

they are not protecting the law.they are marketing the law.its not suprising when "agberos" are dressed in uniforms!!!

in another incident,even some local govt. "militants" are learning how to market the law.somewhere in iju,they are stopping vehicles asking them to buy their local govt. sticker."if you buy the sticker,lastma and other road marketing officers will not impound your vehicle if it stops on the road"!!!lol!

this is like prostitution.they're prostituting with the law.when you pay/buy you can do anything you like.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by pappilo(m): 12:42pm On Jun 13, 2008
@ ovamboland

Very good point u have raided

Thanx
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by ayomifull(f): 12:44pm On Jun 13, 2008
Onyocha:

lol,lastma and co. have got a new supply to market to the people.

i find it very difficult to understand why would someone take one way under normal circumstances.i once took one way in VI by mistake.i never knew it was one way.instead of the lastma officers to station themselves at the entrance of the road (to tell people to go back),they stationed themselves at the end of the road in a way that no one would notice them.after you've committed the offence they will follow you with their bike and try to exort money.they're happy the law is violated!violation=customer!!!

they are not protecting the law.they are marketing the law.its not suprising when "agberos" are dressed in uniforms!!!

in another incident,even some local govt. "militants" are learning how to market the law.somewhere in iju,they are stopping vehicles asking them to buy their local govt. sticker."if you buy the sticker,lastma and other road marketing officers will not impound your vehicle if it stops on the road"!!!lol!

this is like prostitution.they're prostituting with the law.when you pay/buy you can do anything you like.

Exactly!

They will make it in a way that it will be so easy to do it by mistake so people would fall victims. In countries where they have functioning govt they are not interested in the fine but the safety, Nigeria on the other hand is only interested in the fines so those guys will make all efforts to see that there are no signs to warn that even sincere mistakes will cost you N250,000 how ridiculous!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by seyibrown(f): 12:50pm On Jun 13, 2008
This is totally ridiculous!

I just see it as another way of lining the pockets of our already corrupt 'Nigerian Police'.

Law and order is good but not when the supposed 'law enforcement agents' are UTTERLY CORRUPT!

The police will use this opportunity to exploit a lot of motorists!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by aahmed112: 12:59pm On Jun 13, 2008
I think they should concentrate on fixing up their No Entry signs before thinking up these crazy fines! Why would a sensible government make the fine for such an offence so high? Is it not evident that their accounts wouldnt get credited with a single kobo

The only thing I see changing is those 'thugs' on the roads taking 20,000 from a motorist now, instead of the usual 5,000 they take now. . .insane!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by kenogba: 2:29pm On Jun 13, 2008
Good, but the penalties are just too outrageous, the government revenue drive will chase people out of lagos. The state government should build more prisons and car parks.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Shinatu: 2:31pm On Jun 13, 2008
ayusman16:

Dat would only give the lasma official and police officers to feed fat on culprits. A colleague fell victim and was made to cough out 20k after hours of negotiation. the thieving lasma officer even followed him to the atm to withdraw the money. the officials i know would lead u into their traps. Hmm! think they are trying to discourage people from driving to reduce the choatic traffic situation.

I agree.It will only make LASMA guys richer.LASMA would tell you to quickly settle for 50K if you do not want to  pay the official 250K, even a bible spitting pastor will find it difficult not to give the 50K.

Since the government has been banning some particular goods in this country, did you stop seeing them in our markets?
The custom guys get settled and the goods are still everywhere

Laws like this do not solve our problems, they are mere  'showers of blessings' to our 'Law enforcers'!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by ofurufu(m): 2:53pm On Jun 13, 2008
This is most ridiculous!!!! I was caught in their trap in January. I had come to Lagos for anaptitude test. The day b4 the test I went out with my brother's jeep to make photocopies of my credentials at Ikota shopping complex. As I came out of the shopping complex trying to turn, some guys in uniform just blocked me,opened the doors and entered the car. My offence: I had made Illegal U-turn,and i will have to pay 25,000. I was driven to their office and my car impounded. All my pleas fell on deaf ears. Thank God, one of their ogas finally listened to my plea that I was a corps member bla bla. Well I parted with N2000.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Backslider(m): 4:48pm On Jun 13, 2008
it is a good law but the problem will be to enforce.

Where are the Penitentiary
the data collection
The men that enforce the law what is their reward.

When you wear a uniform if your life earnings is not equivalent to your uniform you will have corruption.

The concept of policing is still at the colonial state.

The law enforcer is BULLY Stereotype.

The Service in policing is not there.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by CHOCHORI(m): 5:05pm On Jun 13, 2008
GUYS, YES WE NEED TRAFFIC LAWS BUT NOT A BARBARIC ONE.
HOW WILL YOU FINE THE ONWER OF A CAR DRIVEN ON A WRONG SIDE OF THE ROAD?
HOW COULD YOU FINE A PASSENGER CARRIED BY A DRIVER?
I THINK THIS IS MADNESS.
THE GOVERNMENT IS SAY THAT IF YOU ARE IN A CAR AND THE DRIVER IS GOING THE WRONG WAY JUST JUMP OUT AND KILL YOURSELF OTHERWISE YOU WILL PAY A FINE OR GO TO JAIL---- ABI?
NAIJA;;;;;;;;;;; I WEAK OHHHHHHHHHHH.
WE JUST DEY RUBBISH OURSELVES SAY WE ARE LAW MAKERS.
I NO FOLLOW FOR THIS KIN LAW WEY GO PUNISH INNOCENT PEOPLE.
NOT AGAINST THE MONEY BUT THE ADMINISTRATION.
WILL DEY REPAIR THE BAD ROADS?
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Reptyle(m): 5:10pm On Jun 13, 2008
Ridiculous fines for ridiculous offences!!! Guess what? U can avoid paying this ridiculous fines by simply doing the right thing!!! Don't break the law and u wont have to pay this "ridiculous" fines!!!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by IncaGold(m): 6:07pm On Jun 13, 2008
The government should have erected SIGNPOSTS before issuing there draconian edicts so that innocent drivers wont fall prey to those blood sucking lasma officials. Speaking from experience, I took a wrong turn an entered a one-way road, there was no sign at all and the lasma guy said as long as i live in lagos i should know where has been designated as one-way streets/roads, i'd to part with some money.
It just another ploy to enrich some people. I think it's too early to start mobilising funds for the next election!!!!
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Tayogeorge(m): 7:39pm On Jun 13, 2008
USE SNAP MACHINE CAMERA, It will stop them from going into people's Car for.!(you know everthing now nigerians, i don't want to talk,because am ashamed to let western people read it,

anyway, All things been equal, E.G ELECTRICITY, traffic police should be reduced or sacked by 60 percent, so we know the corruption is 40% balance,
LET the governemnt use their money to import Snap Machine Camera, those machine they use in western World, and some other African countries.
But to say nigerians should pay fine, millions laughter here.police will go 7day fasting so as to increase offenders,
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jun 13, 2008
IncaGold:

The government should have erected SIGNPOSTS before issuing there draconian edicts so that innocent drivers wont fall prey to those blood sucking lasma officials. Speaking from experience, I took a wrong turn an entered a one-way road, there was no sign at all and the lasma guy said as long as i live in lagos i should know where has been designated as one-way streets/roads, i'd to part with some money.

Exactly my point! there should be signposts on these roads, as this would help alot

@ olowotee

Exactly what i expect from a lawyer-Governor can't wait to see more laws. I am glad your location is in nigeria and you are talking about Youth Development which made me reply your post because normally i would just move on.

Now talking about lagos state do you aware of these projects in lagos state, Eko atlantic city, Energy city, Lekki free trade zone, Lekki port and more , all these need investors and  no serious investor would come to a place like lagos unless we begin to change from what is on ground.

However maybe you thinking whats that got to do with Youth development, am glad to let yu know its got to do with everything , jobs, jobs, jobs and more jobs and i think Lagos is in the right direction except for two things, security and power which i know they are on top of it and we all know those who are fustrating their effort.

Anyway i think what we should be focusing on  is how those fine would be use effectively.

@Landre
I got your gist man, but my point still remains! and that is. . .let Lagos State Goverment assist in making unemployment an history in Lagos state. finis. shikena! And, let them create more vocational training centres for those who are interested in skill acquisition. Let them provide affordable shopping malls for those market women whose stores where burnt, destroyed etc. Let them encourage artisans especially the automobile mechanics by allocating land(s) strictly for their workshop. Really, It's amazing that you rarely get any mechanic workshop around you any longer. . .and reasons are: it's either their workshop land has been purchased by banks, church etc and at such they are forcefully ejected from the land.

Summarily, I know they are trying in other areas, especially, in the beautification of Lagos, Education sector, Sport etc. But I believe that they can do better!. Let them help the suffering masses.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by fadson: 10:14pm On Jun 13, 2008
More money for the 'boys' on the road, it will be 'more lucrative' to be lastma or police official in Lagos than working in oil coy

Honestly now i know Lagos Govt State officials need to have that psychiatric test usually recommended for one-way drivers.

How many vehicles on Lagos road worth N250,000?
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by landre: 1:59am On Jun 14, 2008
@ Olowotee

I am glad yu could see my point and i also got your point, its all about accountability which am glad a lot of people here have suggested like putting clear sign posts and warning , better infrastructure like good roads and more alternative roads because at the end of the day if you are not stuck in a traffic for hours yu wont have to drive against the other traffic yu get me. I wish lagos state all the best.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Teejay07(m): 6:38am On Jun 14, 2008
I do agree Lagos is peculiar. And, the chaotic traffic situation in Lagos could really get messier when you have people driving against traffic (One-Way).

However, the 250,000 naira fine will not solve the problems here. First, we need to realise that it is the responsibility of the Government to provide good roads, maintain such roads and ensure law and order on the roads (and within the society, at large). Unfortunately, one discovers that the issues here go beyond the point of just fines alone. The roads are no good, maintenance is virtually non-existent, whilst law and order has broken down.

Another point is the enforcement of the said law and imposition of fines. At what point is it conclusive that an  'accused' person is really guilty and should be fined, jailed, given options of either or be made to 'enjoy both options'. Is it right on  the spot he/ she is apprehended or where. And, what is to stop a malicious enforcement official from just falsely accusing a motorist. And, what recourse (in law) does an aggrieved party have if he feels he has been unfairly dealt with (or, done in  grin). Or, what structures are in place to ensure that sharp enforcement officials do not use the opportunity to line their own pockets.

Also, i hope the government has provision for parking lots (large ones - at that) to accommodate  the avalanche of abandoned cars. Since, some cars are not worth the fines to be imposed, the owners might just decide to abandon them. And, given the 'uncompleted ID Card' scheme in Nigeria coupled with the difficulty of sometimes tracing actual owners of vehicles - the whole situation might just become a nightmare. And, it may give room for additional issues here- Crushing abandoned and 'un-usable' cars.

The attempt to reduce lawlessness on Lagos roads, though admirable, is fraught with problems. Hope this will not be the same thing that happened upon the dedication of BRT lanes and the imposition of 50, 000 fines - when eventually the Govt had to back pedal.

As someone said earlier, it is a good development for the polity. By the time the law is subjected to real tests and stuff like that our society will be the better for it.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Seanpoe(m): 7:20am On Jun 14, 2008
The laws would make sense if they can be implemented fairly, but we all know how it goes in Nigeria.
They place one way signs in obscure places you wouldn't quickly notice so you can fall prey to their hungry throats.
I say fine a traffic official double if found trying to extort money and set up fair panels to look into each case to determine if the motorist was given ample warning and still went ahead to break the law.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by tinard(m): 9:23am On Jun 14, 2008
@ papillo bless you i was just about to type the same thing. Oga o Una dey make this UK a big thing for everybody wey never reach am aba ki lo de. E ma pa eniyan o.

To the idea solid. I support it. Lagos drivers na wa. Turning a two lane four lane. Turning every street to their garage. Laws need to be made concerning the drivers in Lagos. It is just a matter of enforcing it that we'll see about. True it can be enforced to the bus rivers and okadas but what about the bastards with private plate numbers and people who drive "baby boys" and co. Will the same law apply?

I laugh at the community service though. More like hard labour. Community service in Naija. LMAO
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by jummiee(f): 11:35am On Jun 14, 2008
I was totally horrified when i read the article in the paper this morning, To all those applauding this harsh law, i can assume you have never fallen into the traps set by LASMA e.t.c, it's isnt a pleasant experience, even if your "offence" was commited in ignorance, these officials are merciless, all they care about  is lining their own pockets. The intention may be good, but this law is too harsh, 250k fine? it's outrageous,, and being a passenger in the vehicle to have to cough up 50k? what if you were a stranger or visitor to the state and the driver of the vehicle u are in, took the wrong turn in error, as a passenger you are liable? This is wrong.

Wot is wrong in this country? why is there so much focus on the minor issues, whilst major issues like povery and unemployment, crime and injustice are overlooked?
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by nkc(m): 12:14pm On Jun 14, 2008
i dont live in lag, but i think d law is good and bad

but when u guys come to abuja, just make VIO stop u, lassma go become nursery school cry cry cry
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jun 14, 2008
how else will Lagos state generate the money to pay lasma, kai & all the other 'agberos' in uniform
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by ify2love2(f): 2:10pm On Jun 14, 2008
Lasma should be totally erase, if this law will hold. Two days ago at Abbatior Agege, they hijacked our company's MAN TRUCK = offence according to them our driver was driving against traffic rule. I asked them to explain if they found him on one way road they said no that he was driving against traffic rules. One lasma officer asked us to negotiate with the officer in charge seems they have already towed our vehicle to their site at the back of Mountain of Fire and Miracle at Agege. We refused to discuss of record, with annoyance they gave us ticket of N25,000.00 fine to go the GTB allen avenue to pay.

You know what? It is one one GTB in the whole of Lagos you must pay ooooooo at the end we took the receipt to Alausa to record in block 7. No bank teller was given to us.
We got to agege to claim our vehicle, na there story come start now. shocked shocked shocked. Dey say no tax clearance no release of vehicle. Story come baji after sending N25,100.00 every day in that their miserable office attract N1,000.00 demurrage. We tried all we could but to no avail. With this your digitally tax clearance the queue is too long, for a month and now we can not get our tax clearance. I REALLY FEEL FOR MOTORISTS IN LAGOS THEY ARE IN TROUBLE minus me ooooooooooooooooh cry cry cry
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by angel101(f): 6:13pm On Jun 14, 2008
this has got to be a joke. i would take it more seriously if they infact said it was strictly a jailable offence. who would pay 250k when lastma and co will be more than ready to accept a 10k bribe. like others have said, the govt is only trying to line the pockets of their cronies.
Re: Traffic Violations In Lagos State Attract Ridiculous Fines by Shagari2(m): 11:13pm On Jun 14, 2008
I don't know what y'all are on about, driving in Lagos is total madness, people just completely disregard driving laws and regulations. If Lagos is to compete on a world stage its transportation system has to improve, its roads have to be safer and kept flowing. Heavy fines will discourage lawless behaviour on the roads.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Can One Use The Tiptronic Gear Transmission?? / 5 Major Reason Why It's Difficult To Rotate A Steering Wheel / Cars Are Melting In Kuwait Due To High Temperature

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.