Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. - Literature (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. (12696 Views)

Calling On All Script Writers!!!submit A Short Script For A Chance To Win N1m!! / Do You Want To Earn Btw N80-N130k Per Movie Script Here In 9ja? Then Read This! / Nairaland Writers Let's Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 8:37pm On Oct 15, 2013
skillet: needs to understand the rudiments of scriptwriting. as well as screenplaying. his script is a mixture of both. using point of view of characters as well as camera angles even when not necessary, is a common mistake.
Wait...! A little explanation pls, i'm really confuse with the above. Scriptwriting? The last time i checked, screenwriting was under scriptwriting, so was playwrighting, telewriting etc.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by skillet(m): 9:07pm On Oct 15, 2013
^^not really. a movie script is different from a screen play.

movie scripts, stage plays, story books, comics, etc are in the first category. screenplays, shooting scripts, addendums, etc are in the second category. this means that they are done after the original work has been done. nowadays, it is common in hollywood to see a new second category dept called cameraplay. this is a script that caters for what the camera should see: in order to show effectively.

1 Like

Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by VillageBoi(m): 1:05am On Oct 16, 2013
tony ayo:
Wait...! A little explanation pls, i'm really confuse with the above. Scriptwriting? The last time i checked, screenwriting was under scriptwriting, so was playwrighting, telewriting etc.

Tony at this stage in your writing I really don't think you need to bother too much with the differences in definitions of various scripts. You just focus on getting your writing better.
Yes there are differences but it can easily become complicated. Just know not all 'scripts' are screenplays, they can be radio plays, screenplays, computer programming scripts, stageplays.

Under the generic heading of 'script' you will find screenplays and under 'screenplays' you'll find - Spec scripts, shooting script & a few others.

Generally what you write is a 'screenplay' and what is used on set is a 'shooting script'. The shooting script is broken down into numbered shots. Often containing specific shot angles and directions for the director and DP to reference. It is usually 'locked' but since changes can still be made the 'new' pages they get are usually colour coded so everyone knows they have the same colour each day (EDIT - Please check the link two posts down where I added a 24 script - the first page shows the various colour codes for different days)

Many 'published' screenplays are actually what really are 'conformed' or 'Final script' these are written AFTER the movie has been made to 'conform' to the actual footage being seen on the screen. Why? Because during shooting scenes are changed, lines are removed or added or changed and so on.

Not to cause an argument or anything but a movie script by being specified (ie 'movie') is really a screenplay. I said no be fight thing o but no one in the industry is going to go crazy over what you want to call it.
As for 'cameraplay' never ever heard of it; maybe in 'Nollywood' I don't know. But Hollywood and elsewhere as far as I know the term *Note* as TWO words is "camera play" and refers to camera movement and, funnily enough, pressing the start button on a camera lol.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by VillageBoi(m): 1:08am On Oct 16, 2013
speedyboi:
@Villageboi, incase you are wondering....I was the first person to like your post! grin....and I just liked another one! grin
My broda how now? Thanks for the likes grin No worry, these things happen.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by VillageBoi(m): 1:15am On Oct 16, 2013
lynx200:
No problem. I will look for an episode of 24 to paste here. That should settle it.

You're right when it comes to 24. Here's the actual 'shooting script' for season 2 premier - http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/24__8_9am__2nd_season_.pdf

The time is NEVER written in the Scene heading.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by skillet(m): 3:54am On Oct 16, 2013
LOL. two count novice. tell me why i should teach you for free. how can a movie script be the same as a screenplay? villageboi equals speedyboi. its so damn obvious. stop carrying on a conversation with yourself. and go to film school. like i did. learn more.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by skillet(m): 4:35am On Oct 16, 2013
VillageBoi:

You're right when it comes to 24. Here's the actual 'shooting script' for season 2 premier - http://www.dailyscript.com/scripts/24__8_9am__2nd_season_.pdf

The time is NEVER written in the Scene heading.

shooting script. not movie script. and 9am is boldly written there. abi are you soaking garri no salt no sugar?
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by skillet(m): 4:43am On Oct 16, 2013
as for how much scripts cost, check out this article by chip street. google- things to consider when you option your screenplay.

as for the differences between movie scripts and screenplay. go do your research first. then if you still cant see the differences, then i will point them out to you. one very important one being the action tenses used. and i see tony, that some people have tried to call your attention to your wrong use of tense.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by skillet(m): 4:50am On Oct 16, 2013
village boy, as for the cameraplay, i dont need to argue it yet. let me give you a long rope to hang urself first. instead of researching, you are talking like a true african. and yet you want to do hollywood.

at least by your reasoning if cameraplay means camera and press play, then screen play must mean to have a television screen, and then press play. haba! brother! stop disgracing us na.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by VillageBoi(m): 6:41am On Oct 16, 2013
skillet:
shooting script. not movie script. and 9am is boldly written there. abi are you soaking garri no salt no sugar?

Yes it is written there... on the title page and NOT in any SCENE HEADING anywhere. I'm honestly not going to bother with anything you write or say because it is clear that you really do not know a single thing you are talking about.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by skillet(m): 7:46am On Oct 16, 2013
this is the genesis of the problem. even though there shouldnt be one, nigerian boys, always itching for a nigger moment, would find one.

SCENE 1. NAIRALAND. 2:36PM. OCT 10.

TONY AYO: ENTERS THE ROOM AND ADRESSES THE SKILLET :

What differenciates(formats) hollywood n nollywood scripts?

TONY AYO WAITS FOR A WHILE, HEARS NOTHING FROM THE SKILLET ABOUT HIS QUERY, TRIES TO PING THE SKILLET BUT NETWORK IS OBVIOUSLY DOWN, HE GETS ANGRY AND LEAVES THE ROOM.

in case you still dont have an example.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by skillet(m): 8:09am On Oct 16, 2013
well, need i develope that story? we all know where it leads and quite frankly, it is a boring story. not worthy of my energy. right now i am enjoying the holidays and NOTHING will change that. the problem you guys have with urselves is that you think you know as much as the next man. its wrong. you cant just come online, and use phrases like "its NEVER DONE".

who are you? and who trained you in this industry? drop your creds. i am even very happy that only you disproved youselves. all lynx had to say was hear say and probably. nothing concrete. how can he tell tony ayo that if he gets 100 000 for a job its okay? what if the job is produced with 100million at the end of the day? is that not unwise? the truth is if you are approached to sell your movie, find out how much the guy intends to spend producing it, and ask for 5percent. shikena! how can you guys say ALL MOVIES OBEY NIGHT AND DAY? what about SPACE? even you saw for yourselves that SPACE IS WRITTEN AS SPACE. what more do you want? now i say cameraplay, and you say dumbshiiit like its camera and press play. mtchew.

but all the same, no hard feelings. you are all my brothers in arms. i will get you a link later. so you can read up on that and begin to think hollywood standard tongue tongue grin cool cool
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by VillageBoi(m): 8:31am On Oct 16, 2013
skillet: how can you guys say ALL MOVIES OBEY NIGHT AND DAY? what about SPACE? even you saw for yourselves that SPACE IS WRITTEN AS SPACE.

The problem is you simply don't understand that DAY & NIGHT is light or lack of light and without 'light' there is no image... no matter what 'world' the story takes place in be it fantasy or whatever. So yes EVERY screenplay (or whatever term you want to call it) does OBEY the same rules of DAY & NIGHT. Haba, it's not rocket science nah!

Not sure where you saw SPACE, I missed it but was it written as the 'location?'.

EDIT. Have seen it now. What does it tell you? SPACE - unless indicated is DARKNESS which equals NIGHT... just written in a different form.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by VillageBoi(m): 8:34am On Oct 16, 2013
skillet:
@thread
any other important questions?

Errrrmmmmm yes. "When are you going to start therapy for your anger issues?"

1 Like

Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by prof800(m): 8:50am On Oct 16, 2013
skillet:

Yes. 9am is boldly written but not on the Scene Heading.
skillet: and go to film school. like i did. learn more.
Man..do you actually think you are the only one who attended a film school here..?
smh.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by VillageBoi(m): 8:58am On Oct 16, 2013
Ok we all know the film 'Pitch Black' and the 'world' in which it takes place.

Scene headings look like

EXT. SKY - DUSK

EXT. SPIRED HILLS - DEEP DUSK

EXT. PLANET - DAY

EXT. SHIP - PLANET'S ATMOSPHERE - DAY

EXT. SKY - DEEP DUSK TO NIGHT

INT. FIRST CONTAINER - CARGO HOLD - NIGHT

It's simply written like that to indicate how 'light or dark' the scene is. Just call it a 'general' guide... something has to be written down. Still trying to find samples of the script 'GRAVITY' - any excited people going to see it when it comes out?

You can read the script here - http://www.imsdb.com/scripts/Pitch-Black.html
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by VillageBoi(m): 9:30am On Oct 16, 2013
prof800:
Man..do you actually think you are the only one who attended a film school here..?
smh.
Oh dear me. He obviously didn't learn anything... errrmmmm that's if he actually did go to one. Afarall na my Pa own 'Morntala Itanashanal Earport'... as if lol grin
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by skillet(m): 10:05am On Oct 16, 2013
more proof of your ignorance. DUSK IS NEITHER DAY OR NIGHT. abi? i know i am not the only one who went to film school here, but i know for sure that YOU DID NOT GO. so, wheres the beef? two scripts that you have provided used variations in their headings due to particular specs. keep embarrassing yourselves. local boys.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by skillet(m): 10:12am On Oct 16, 2013
just admit it to yourselves- i was right all along. just admit it so that your life will be better. our people say- who the gods want to punish, they first make deaf. and a word is enough for the wise, two for the child.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by VillageBoi(m): 10:44am On Oct 16, 2013
skillet: more proof of your ignorance. DUSK IS NEITHER DAY OR NIGHT. abi? two scripts that you have provided used variations in their headings due to particular specs. keep embarrassing yourselves. local boys.

Dusk is a period after sunset which actually is a 'modifier' for night (just as DAWN is a modifier for DAY). It can be assumed to be 'very shortly after sunset' when there is still a bit of light in the skies. DEEP DUSK as they used is very similar but with even less light in the skies.

Obviously you missed part of my very first post -

VillageBoi:
There are only TWO acceptable times in a scene heading - DAY & NIGHT. No matter what time a scene takes place all that is evident on screen is whether it is day or night.

However, the times of DAY can be written as -

EXT. - MORNING TEXAS LANDSCAPE - SUNRISE
(As in the screenplay for Django)

That is a 'modifier' and is used to make the 'time' a bit more specific. Additional ones can be DUSK, DAWN, LATER, AFTERNOON, EVENING, EARLY EVENING

But as we already know that you are far too thick to learn a thing there is no need to point out again that 'modifiers' are just more specific 'times' of... oh wait for it... DAY & NIGHT.

Let us not even get into the abject stup.idity of your film school claims. Oh I forgot... Alaba film school. Sorry you're even an insult to the Alaba boys. Furthermore, attending film school does not mean a thing; there are tons of industry professionals that didn't go to one. And no, it isn't used as a bragging point in the 'real' industry.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by VillageBoi(m): 11:09am On Oct 16, 2013
Oh and let us clarify this 'technically'. I've never said I went to film school, I have probably mentioned I did my degree in Film & Broadcast Production - longer than film school as it's 3yrs. So yeah, it was Film, TV, Radio & Stage with the majority being film & TV at a university here that utilised a 70:30 ratio with 'practicals' being higher than 'theory'.

Do you know how many Nigerians take a 1-day, 1-week, 1-month or even 3-month course at a film school and then you never hear the end of their bragging? I know many; I've done the same courses and continually keep up to date with technology and changes in the industry. Been there, done that but I don't talk about tiny little short update courses at film school. Anyone that has come across me ever will know this is the most I have ever written about what I've studied or not. As said, no one in the 'real' industry waves around a piece of paper be it a degree, certificate or whatever. Maybe in Naija na big thing cos we can brag like mad.

And I also know for a FACT that with your ridiculous attitude you would be a complete nightmare to work with on any type of a production in any capacity. Yes I know the likes of you well... very, very well.

1 Like

Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by VillageBoi(m): 11:26am On Oct 16, 2013
skillet: just admit it to yourselves- i was right all along.

Ah so your main issue na PRIDE?! You for talk since nah say you dey find minions wey go bow down kizz ya scrawny azz.

Ok na you RIGHT... Olodo buruku! Hahaha.

PS - Don't forget to get therapy for your numerous issues; it'll really help you.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 1:25pm On Oct 16, 2013
Lmao.....I can't stop laughing! What a comic relief!

But seriously, why bother to reply that guy @villageboi? Please just leave him. When anyone asks a question, answer and ignore anything skillet says.

And Prof, why would you try to believe that guy attended any film school? undecided. The guy that doesn't know something as basic as the fact that screenplay is a type of script? I didn't study anything film-related in school! I'm not a professional! Yet I know this! Somehow! Please...if that guy attended any school, it will be a Pluto film school! That school doesn't exist in this world! Urrrgh!

And he said Villageboi and I are the same people. Interesting! cool...

1 Like

Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by VillageBoi(m): 1:34pm On Oct 16, 2013
speedyboi: Lmao.....I can't stop laughing! What a comic relief!
But seriously, why bother to reply that guy @villageboi? Please just leave him. When anyone asks a question, answer and ignore anything skillet says.

And he said Villageboi and I are the same people. Interesting! cool...

Because I'm 'rendering' a project on the other computer and have time to kill... so I'm laffin' my butt off yanking his chain... comic relief is good! grin

Lol I didn't even know he said we're the same person... can't really bother with his ramblings. By the way I saw 'Captain phillips' on Monday, I enjoyed it.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by skillet(m): 1:43pm On Oct 16, 2013
okay. rookie. i have heard.
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by Nobody: 2:09pm On Oct 16, 2013
VillageBoi: By the way I saw 'Captain phillips' on Monday, I enjoyed it.

Yea....I saw it has high rating on rotten tomatoes. I'm gonna see it when it lands in Nigeria!
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by skillet(m): 3:40pm On Oct 16, 2013
any other important question pertaining to scriptwriting?
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by VillageBoi(m): 9:55am On Oct 20, 2013
Re: Movie Script Writers, Let's Meet Here. by Izreali: 4:30pm On Oct 09, 2014
[/color]You guys are professionals in your unic ways .....but you'al mad me read through your agument without any means of contacting anyone of you ....pls need a good and creative script writer.... ASAP ..... my mail .. Isreal12k@yahoo.co.uk
Kindly msge after we talk you know what's going down
Pls creative guys who wants to raise the his flag thanks [color=#006600]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Dreams Could Come True By Tiffany J / Wallahi-sam!!! / My First Car!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.