Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,602 members, 7,809,189 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:50 AM

Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) (25952 Views)

Water Scarcity In Nigerian Schools / Should Sex Education Be Taught As A Subject In Nigerian Schools? / 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by toluxa1(m): 12:04pm On Aug 27, 2013
Last year I taught in a secondary school for nearly a year. I was class teacher for the Basic 6, while I taught at the secondary section. The guy in the video below is the computer teacher. After the Principal, I think he is the most feared teacher. When he teaches the whole class is always very quiet and attentive. You dare not make noise. Some teachers even call him to help cane their pupils. I took this video last year during one of his disciplinary sessions and uploaded to youtube instantly. It has nearly 54.000 views already with all sorts of abusive comments toward the teacher, obviously from viewers outside Africa.

The question is, what do you think about corporal punishment in schools (in Nigeria). Is there an alternative.

In my time in that school, I personally discovered there is no other working method you can use for children of nowadays. The effectiveness of the rod cannot be overlooked. If you like shout from now till tomorrow, they wont listen, remove better koboko and see the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLlSihAtFjY
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by toluxa1(m): 1:33pm On Aug 27, 2013
grin

13 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Nobody: 3:12pm On Aug 27, 2013
It shldnt b all abt whippin as it does more harm dan gud. Whippin shld ONLY b adopted wen all oda methods have failed

2 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by toluxa1(m): 10:44pm On Aug 27, 2013
all other methods like?
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by toluxa1(m): 1:44am On Jan 04, 2014
Happy New Year
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by 4reigningqueen: 12:45pm On Jan 07, 2014
you were there, you didnt do anything and yet you uploaded the video on the net so that the teacher can be criticised while you enjoy like how many minutes of fame? Did you include the reason why the students were punished when uploading the video, did you include your personal opinion that all manner of punishment had been exhausted so the students deserved to be flogged? I hope you dont put the said teacher into trouble with this your video.

15 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Sagytarius(m): 12:46pm On Jan 07, 2014
Spare the rod and spoil the child #Fact!
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by goldenspoon: 12:46pm On Jan 07, 2014
this jonky dey use em nose dey flop little kids

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by phemmybernabeu(m): 12:47pm On Jan 07, 2014
No alternative
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Neduzze5(m): 12:48pm On Jan 07, 2014
Odeshi things.... Where Ifa dey jare?!!
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by CodeHouse: 12:48pm On Jan 07, 2014
Jara grin

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Nobody: 12:48pm On Jan 07, 2014
E gud joor, wen I dey small e get one maths teacher weh dey always tear my yansh/trouser wit koboko, i bin dey tell frends say I go hire assassins for d man make dem kidnap am den I go torture am well well afta which I go cut off Im blokous grin grin BT now if I see d man I dey throw am twale cos if not for am I 4 b area boy now

6 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by gluv01(f): 12:49pm On Jan 07, 2014
Spanking children with such? Oh well, I remember when a teacher did that to my Younger bro. Irregardless of my age and that I was in junior high school, I rained insults on her and threatened to report to the police. The reason she disciplined spanked him was because she disliked him. Some of them do that just for reasons of disliking a particular student which is literally wrong. My bro suffered emotionally during that time and hated school so much. At such young age he was mentally, physically and verbally abused. That's the disadvantage of spanking kids, it makes them more aggressive later on. Though some of them needs it. But when it is not necessary and you do it, that's just abuse. Very few cases of the assault gets to the media, for every 1 that is made public, there are 50 cases at the present time.m Psst angry

5 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by solomon111(m): 12:49pm On Jan 07, 2014
The rod when correctly applied is the most effective disciplinary measure in the book.
Anybody that argues otherwise is either ignorant or just engaging in self-deceit.

2 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by roselynbas(f): 12:50pm On Jan 07, 2014
Slaak: It shldnt b all abt whippin as it does more harm dan gud. Whippin shld ONLY b adopted wen all oda methods have failed

Na true! spare the rod and spoil the child.see how children are molesting their parents abroad.

Without the koboko would you have become who you are now?
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by JonCina(m): 12:51pm On Jan 07, 2014
This one You repeated the "thought", if You have your way, You Will substitute it for "taught" o!
Do You mean "quiet" or You still dey insist Say na "quite"?

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by JustGuy(m): 12:51pm On Jan 07, 2014
I think it works just fine!
Though it is mostly overused!
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by solomon111(m): 12:53pm On Jan 07, 2014
I know many people who would have been complete failures today if not for the fear of 'daddy's whip'.
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by leggo: 12:58pm On Jan 07, 2014
incase you dont know caning children is illegal in Nigeria..
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by solomon111(m): 1:01pm On Jan 07, 2014
leggo: incase you dont know caning children is illegal in Nigeria..
How is canning illegal?
Would you mind expantiating?
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by DeBlunt: 1:03pm On Jan 07, 2014
grin grin grin

This is nothing compared to my former high school back in Nigeria, Command sec sch Jos. The soldiers scarred my back so much that it had to be stitched and I still have the marks. I remember how my girlfriend over here wept when I was narrating the origin of the scars to her grin .

Although I passed through this and even worse, I won't encourage it. There should be an alternative method or better still light whipping in less sensitive areas (to prevent kids from dancing like crayfish grin grin grin).

6 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Tuminibody: 1:05pm On Jan 07, 2014
Spanking is no more effective as it used to be, because we now have better and more effective ways of correction
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Ikonz(m): 1:11pm On Jan 07, 2014
leggo: incase you dont know caning children is illegal in Nigeria..

See this Oponjo, where e dey for constitution? Tel us make we learn

Btw, this is last year's thread, August precisely...I no go blame Seun, na nairalanders wey no want create threads in 2014 dey cause am
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Nobody: 1:12pm On Jan 07, 2014
I actually liked being flogged back then, its opportunity to show the ladies how strong I am grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by toprealman: 1:15pm On Jan 07, 2014
He is obviously a sadist!
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by AbuMikey(m): 1:15pm On Jan 07, 2014

The 3rd guy shocked , grin a real Strong Man he is.

Teacher »: How Many? undecided

Student »: 5 angry

Teacher »: Jara grin

LWKMD gringrin

3 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by iduzebaba(m): 1:17pm On Jan 07, 2014
if not for d flogging and advice from my mum; i for don follow rashidi go cotonou; thank u mum; RIP rashidi

11 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by s3nn2x(m): 1:22pm On Jan 07, 2014
There is nothing really wrong in it. The guy was even lenient. The OP failed to include the reason for the punishment.
Did the OP report to the school authority before uploading the video on YouTube?
Is the OP still a staff in the said school?
Was the video uploaded when she was still a staff?

Seriously, I respect the teacher. He beat them with respect and dignity without insulting any of them.
He did not beat them angrily.

Anyways, this is the first time of seeing running fan in a public school since time immemorial. What is the name of the school and the location?

3 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by skyscraperTM(m): 1:28pm On Jan 07, 2014
I was a stubborn student in school but never got flogged cause I was always lucky..
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Nobody: 1:33pm On Jan 07, 2014
The teacher didn't do any wrong and also it depends on what they (pupils) did, If you don't flog your children they will turn to rude and stupid children. When i was a kid my father has different types of cain, sometimes i will break or hide some and he will purchase more, The flogging patterned our lifestyle for better and looking back i appreciate the training and corrections. The effectiveness of the koboko can never be over looked. Spare the rod and spoil the child, Ever wondered why children born in US and Uk and some other countries are as rude as shitts...... One of my uncles who married a British women came back with his children, whilst the children where playing outside their mum came outside to call them in and they shouted, Mummy shut up. ah my heard turn I rushed and grabbed my cain when they saw me they all ran inside i made sure to pursue them inside and gave them serious warning while kneeling them down and their mum looked on, at least they stopped telling their mum to shut up when am around and started forming Good and obedient boys.

African children trained in Africa are the most respectful in the world and the result of this is because of the whopping given to them when they misbehaved.

4 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by TheProdigy(m): 1:58pm On Jan 07, 2014

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

UNICAL Security Arrests Man For Snatching Phones From Students With Dummy Gun / Most Influential Students In OAU, Mr Nairaland Top The List / FGGC Owerri Wins First Overall in 2016/2017 WAEC Examinations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.