Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,413 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:46 PM

Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) (25970 Views)

Water Scarcity In Nigerian Schools / Should Sex Education Be Taught As A Subject In Nigerian Schools? / 16 Errors That Are Still Taught In Nigerian Schools Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Cpolicy(m): 2:11pm On Jan 07, 2014
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by PAGAN9JA(m): 2:20pm On Jan 07, 2014
[size=18pt]hahahahahahaha NICE ONE SIR!

SEE PIKIN DANCE![/size] grin
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Nobody: 2:24pm On Jan 07, 2014
No one has any right to brutalize my child in that manner. If anyone of them comes home and I see a teacher's mark on them I will not take it lightly with those behind it.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it" Little wonder we have numerous Nigerians with "ALUU" and "Hon Dino Maleye" mentality. Go unto the street today and find out, too many Nigerian kids lack self confidence due to these things we think are normal.

I try as much as possible to communicate with my children and show what is right or wrong by my actions as well. Kids will always be kids but there are various punishments corrective measures that I dole out depending the severity of what they have done. BRUTALITY? NEVER!!. Even after the punishment I take my time to talk to them and explain why what they did is wrong and why they had to be corrected.

....... and guess what? their general behaviour is brilliant and they are super confident!

5 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by coogar: 2:32pm On Jan 07, 2014
Abu Mikey:
The 3rd guy shocked , grin a real Strong Man he is.

Teacher »: How Many? undecided
Student »: 5 angry
Teacher »: Jara grin

LWKMD gringrin

that third student was a robot - i was like that too. show no emotions no matter how painful. the girls were even braver than the boys - but this is nothing compared to what secondary students took in the 90s in nigeria - this is child's play!!!

3 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by meforyou1(m): 2:32pm On Jan 07, 2014
I was cained real good by my dad when I was small. And cained real good in sch up to jss 3.
There's nothing wrong in canning children, how else can they learn and be obedient?
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by esbjaygmailco(m): 2:32pm On Jan 07, 2014
you are bad urself, y cant u confront him and tell him instead of putting it on social network.bad colleague. how i wish u know what u are telling people about urself........... that guy too didnt do well by punishing those poor student in such way
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by JNdupu: 2:46pm On Jan 07, 2014
Y'all wonder where the ALUU4 perpetrators and Boko Haram came from?

It's this type of brutalization at an early age that normalizes such casual violence when they grow older. It takes a special kind of person that has undergone this kind of treatment to break the cycle. It helps if such a person is removed from the Nigerian environment.

As a kid, we were beaten mercilessly. We were ushered to the front of public firing squads to get a better view. I have lost count of how many public 'rubber necklacing' or lynchings I witnessed. Such scenes become lodged in your brain as 'entertainment' and you have to psychologically calibrate yourself continually as you grow older to avoid falling into the same trap of normalizing violence.

A personal anecdote - there was an Almajari school up the road where I lived in the North. Ignorant parents deposited their kids there for one reason or the other. That was not life - those poor kids were woken up early and were beaten mercilessly by the Imam as they crammed their brains full of religious text, then sent out all day to beg and bring back money/food for the Imam, beaten again and sent to bed often hungry.

I got to know one of the kids quite well - a bright gentle soul who gradually lost the ability to smile - because I gave him a lot of my food when I could. He was about the same age as I was and we could've been best of buddies under different circumstances.

Y'know what? I only found out last year he was killed during the Kano Maitasine riots - on the wrong side obviously.

7 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Nobody: 2:50pm On Jan 07, 2014
I thank GOd for my school grin. Beating was forbidden! Our principal used to say "my students are not animals". Just mild punishments.
And I was't trained with cane at home either. And I didn't turn wayward.....infact, I'm the best child that can ever happen to any parent cool cool cool. That cane culture is the reason why democracy can never work in Nigeria. Most Nigerians are trained with cane....so they can only do the right thing through these kinda corporal punishments. You can't tell a typical nigerian not to do something (by giving him strong reasons for him not to) and he will obey! Never! Until they start imposing heavy fines and impounding cars and demolishing houses before 'their ears will hear word'. That's the reason I'm in support of fashola's wicked laws grin for now. When parents start training their children the right way in nigeria, then we can have democratic laws. smiley

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Nobody: 2:53pm On Jan 07, 2014
It's a necessary evil...
Nigerian kids are goats..
I still have my scars grin
after many years
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Nobody: 2:58pm On Jan 07, 2014
Wow see as the gals chop the koboko like bosses. The teacher is a sadist. Wicked.
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by obailala(m): 3:18pm On Jan 07, 2014
There are different effective ways to discipline children. I was spanked as a kid and I will spank my kids but I am not of the opinion that spanking is the most effective holy grail to instilling discipline.

Most people usually make the reference to 'oyibo' children being rude because they're not spanked but that is not completely true. There is a larger (unreported) percentage of unspanked 'oyibo' children who are respectful and grow up to be responsible individuals.. However in Africa with all the spanking and brutalizing as the case may be, we still have a large portion of children turning out to be drug addicts, runsgirls, yahooboys and common armed robbers..

3 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by aAK1(m): 3:33pm On Jan 07, 2014
s3nn2x: There is nothing really wrong in it. The guy was even lenient. The OP failed to include the reason for the punishment.
Did the OP report to the school authority before uploading the video on YouTube?
Is the OP still a staff in the said school?
Was the video uploaded when she was still a staff?

Seriously, I respect the teacher. He beat them with respect and dignity without insulting any of them.
He did not beat them angrily.

Anyways, this is the first time of seeing running fan in a public school since time immemorial. What is the name of the school and the location?
that's a private school.
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Reptyle(m): 3:35pm On Jan 07, 2014
toluxa1: Last year I taught in a secondary school for nearly a year. I was class teacher for the Basic 6, while I taught at the secondary section. The guy in the video below is the computer teacher. After the Principal, I think he is the most feared teacher. When he teaches the whole class is always very quiet and attentive. You dare not make noise. Some teachers even call him to help cane their pupils. I took this video last year during one of his disciplinary sessions and uploaded to youtube instantly. It has nearly 40,000 views already with all sorts of abusive comments toward the teacher, obviously from viewers outside Africa.

The question is, what do you think about corporal punishment in schools (in Nigeria). Is there an alternative.

In my time in that school, I personally discovered there is no other working method you can use for children of nowadays. The effectiveness of the rod cannot be overlooked. If you like shout from now till tomorrow, they wont listen, remove better koboko and see the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLlSihAtFjY

"You want to know why I'm bending you? Because no matter how tall an okro tree is, the owner will always be able to bend it..."

Words on marble grin

There's gotta be a better way.
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by KoloOyinbo(m): 3:38pm On Jan 07, 2014
toluxa1: Last year I taught in a secondary school for nearly a year. I was class teacher for the Basic 6, while I taught at the secondary section. The guy in the video below is the computer teacher. After the Principal, I think he is the most feared teacher. When he teaches the whole class is always very quiet and attentive. You dare not make noise. Some teachers even call him to help cane their pupils. I took this video last year during one of his disciplinary sessions and uploaded to youtube instantly. It has nearly 40,000 views already with all sorts of abusive comments toward the teacher, obviously from viewers outside Africa.

The question is, what do you think about corporal punishment in schools (in Nigeria). Is there an alternative.

In my time in that school, I personally discovered there is no other working method you can use for children of nowadays. The effectiveness of the rod cannot be overlooked. If you like shout from now till tomorrow, they wont listen, remove better koboko and see the difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLlSihAtFjY

I grew up and was educated in Belfast in a Christian Brothers Primary and Catholic Secondary College where there were many Priest/Teachers. Discipline there was more severe than what I have seen in this video. Irrespective of the culture/country etc etc, there is little doubt in my experience that this is purely barbaric. The 'teacher' (if I can stretch a point and dignify him by that name) is a sadist unworthy of any form of respect.
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by sexymonkey(m): 3:53pm On Jan 07, 2014
This was the reason I never liked school.
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Opera240: 4:36pm On Jan 07, 2014
Nothing bad in it jor! They are learning, God self no against canning the kid, it will only make them well discipline but there is a law of diminishing return..when the. discipline is too much for them to bearer, it happened to me in my secondary skul, my class teacher gimme 24 strokes of cane!
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by chikis(m): 4:44pm On Jan 07, 2014
I love this thread; it is gingering my swag as a teacher. I will never spare the rod and spoil my pupils.

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Carsonv(m): 4:45pm On Jan 07, 2014
My father was a teacher and whenever he flogged us, he made sure it made MEANING...real good lashing! But something surprising about him was that he never flogged his students...Never!

For me, flogging should be the last resort when all other means have been exhausted. Most of what helped me in life are the times my parents sat me down to talk whenever I did something wrong. I dreaded that part most.

Flogging made me timid growing up, I had to consciously reeingineer myself from its effect. Talk to your kids. Children know when their parents are saying something serious!

But don't forget the cane...when a paricular insubordination goes on repeatedly, it think the cane can put the kid aright.

2 Likes

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by chikis(m): 4:46pm On Jan 07, 2014
I love this thread; it is gingering my swag as a teacher. I will never spare the rod and spoil my pupils. Am going to use carrot and stick approach just like GEJ and OBJ. Thank you OP.
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Carsonv(m): 4:50pm On Jan 07, 2014
I'll never allow anyone flog my kids. Some teachers flog for different reasons. Sometimes they transfer their frustration to the kids. So I won't allow you do that.

I'll flog my kids whenever necessary!
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by DICKtator: 5:00pm On Jan 07, 2014
The 3rd guy

That is what you call a [size=18pt]DUSTER!!!![/size]

Took it like a real guy

not like the others, dancing skelewu mixed with atilogwu!!!!

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by DICKtator: 5:06pm On Jan 07, 2014
WAIT A MINUTE!!!

Were they succcking his dicccck?

He was molestation cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy them?

OMG!!!!!!!!!

He even asked one of em, Chelsea or Man-U?

grin grin grin grin
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by CharlesPhc: 5:09pm On Jan 07, 2014
You should also tell us what those kids did to justify this...!!! I thought I heard the teacher asking one of them, "Chelsea or Man U?" I was expecting a different flogging for the girls sha...!!!
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by nickz(m): 5:12pm On Jan 07, 2014
Hahahaha gringrincheesy this thread just reminded me of second. School days ........when we was the chief dusters and chesters...hahahaha.....flog hundred and we still didn't move a strand of hair.......- so wish this dude was my teacher then...he would have gotten tired of flogging..cheesycheesycheesycheesycheesy

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by neweraking: 5:14pm On Jan 07, 2014
the punishment is reasonable and justifable
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by xynerise: 5:17pm On Jan 07, 2014
If my teacher hadn't flog me like an antelope those days, I wouldn't have become successful today.

Psychologically, this flogging is essential to our children. It makes them have fear of doing wrong(though it depends on the teacher's reason for flogging them). A bully can not overcome you after taking this kind of flogging grin

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Reptyle(m): 5:17pm On Jan 07, 2014
Interesting video on a similar situation in South Korea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOAAUS1A5pA

Those guys don't play meeeen! Those korean teachers make this Nigerian teacher in the OP's video look like he was tickling those students grin grin grin
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by CocoLoca(f): 5:18pm On Jan 07, 2014
Reptyle:

"You want to know why I'm bending you? Because no matter how tall an okro tree is, the owner will always be able to bend it..."

Words on marble grin

grin grin grin cool wink
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by izzyD(m): 5:19pm On Jan 07, 2014
the fear of the rod is the beginning of wisdom...lol...but seriously i think its actually good tho sometimes it's overdone.. the white folks will think its barbaric but we blacks know better cause without all those whooping we use to get back in the days only God knows wat we would have become.. grin
Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by maxtamazin: 5:24pm On Jan 07, 2014
4reigningqueen: you were there, you didnt do anything and yet you uploaded the video on the net so that the teacher can be criticised while you enjoy like how many minutes of fame? Did you include the reason why the students were punished when uploading the video, did you include your personal opinion that all manner of punishment had been exhausted so the students deserved to be flogged? I hope you dont put the said teacher into trouble with this your video.

WTF, the OP posted the video so we can all discuss it, God!! why r Nigerians so dumb? No need to go all nuclear on the OP. Make your own contribution or STF-UP.

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by Chartey(m): 5:25pm On Jan 07, 2014
gluv01: Spanking children with such? Oh well, I remember when a teacher did that to my Younger bro. Irregardless of my age and that I was in junior high school, I rained insults on her and threatened to report to the police. The reason she disciplined spanked him was because she disliked him. Some of them do that just for reasons of disliking a particular student which is literally wrong. My bro suffered emotionally during that time and hated school so much. At such young age he was mentally, physically and verbally abused. That's the disadvantage of spanking kids, it makes them more aggressive later on. Though some of them needs it. But when it is not necessary and you do it, that's just abuse. Very few cases of the assault gets to the media, for every 1 that is made public, there are 50 cases at the present time.m Psst angry
All dis ajebutter people sef. Your brother suffered emotionally cuz he was caned?? If na by dat one, I for don mad na. I chop cane for pry school, come chop beta beating from seniors for FGC. The secondary school years were the best of my still young life.

1 Like

Re: Corporal Punishment In Nigerian Schools, Any Alternative? (Video) by KoloOyinbo(m): 5:30pm On Jan 07, 2014
izzyD: the fear of the rod is the beginning of wisdom...lol...but seriously i think its actually good tho sometimes it's overdone.. the white folks will think its barbaric but we blacks know better cause without all those whooping we use to get back in the days only God knows wat we would have become.. grin

This is not a 'whites' and 'blacks' issue. In Europe we used to have punishments for children every bit as barbaric as seen here. It existed all over the world in many varied cultures. Most nations are now moving on from such barbarism. I hope Nigeria will continue its proud development of country and culture and reject such methods within its educational system.

Both videos show so called teachers that are actually guilty of Child Abuse.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FGGC Owerri Wins First Overall in 2016/2017 WAEC Examinations / Which Of These Statements Will Make A Student Jump Up / ASUU Strike: Lady Loses Masters Admission In Cape Town, South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.