Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,076 members, 7,957,009 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 03:53 AM

Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely (5485 Views)

Atheists, Agnostics, Deists And Liberals And Freethinkers Lets Meet Here. / Why Are Atheists Always Talking About Religion / 5 Easy Steps To Debunking The Quran (for Christians, Atheists, Agnostics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 6:42pm On Aug 27, 2013
This is a question that bothers me really....I'm an engineering student in my late teens from a very religious background, for a while I've had subsiting doubts about the existence of god and the rationality(or otherwise) of religion so to some extent I had been basically agnostic....I wasn't open about it although I don't equally pretend to be religious...
Lately though I've been reading the works of the prominent atheists like Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, Sam Harris, Daniel Dennett,Stephen Fry etc..also been undertaking individual research, watching youtube videos of bill maher and george carlin, learning about evolutionary biology and natural selection and I guess it didn't take much for me to realize the obvious 'that God is non-existent and religion is irrational'.
Forthwith, I decided not too toe the path of intellectual cowardice and be open about my convictions......I guess that was a huge mistake,
Aside posting random atheist memes and quotes on my facebook wall, twitter page and bbm wall..also I started to openly dissent against participating in religious activities at home.....well to cut my long story short..I can tell you its been hell....I've been at the receiving end of unending backlash both from family and friends....its not been funny at all...I guess I didn't anticipate such response and it has only resulted in my feeling so depressed and lonely, almost suicidal... Ostracised by friends, condemned by family and church...I'm almost lost....
I don't even know why I am writing this....I don't requite anyone's pity or condemnation...I just want to be heard....I just wonder why treat people with dissenting views especially atheists so terribly,I'm not asking for anyone to like me, I'm just asking for my convictions to be respected,its not like I'm blowing myself up for some god
I'm no monster...I'm just a rational person who sees the obvious.....You believe in a god, I don't..So What

5 Likes

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 7:01pm On Aug 27, 2013
Exactly Bruv,I've had similar things happen to me,I have come to accept is as a part of the irrationality that is Religion.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 7:12pm On Aug 27, 2013
Hi... smiley

Learning to 'apply wisdom' could be helpful until you're able to sustain yourself financially and otherwise. Nothing wrong with being open, just don't be hostile..

smiley

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by mazaje(m): 7:22pm On Aug 27, 2013
You have to be strong. . .Religion is a way of life, in a very religious society like Nigeria it encompasses everything, and unfortunately the type of religion practiced in Nigeria is the fundamentalist type the uses only fear to keep its members and adherents in line. . .We you reject religion you reject the culture and way of life of the people around you and it must make them angry and sad. . .Nigerians have religion so ingrained in their lives that seeing someone without religion threatens them. . .They simply cannot conceive of somebody not believing in a deity of some sort. The idea is completely foreign to them, and therefore menacing. It forces them to evaluate their own beliefs, they become frightened and angry so they just fight back, using the only way they can. They become defensive and attack because the things they hold intrinsically and unquestionably sacred are being challenged. . .We reject things they take very seriously and it is natural for them to feel disgusted and hateful. . .Every religion condemns unbelief because if unbelief is encouraged there will be no religion. . .Religious people generally do not like each other, they ONLY tolerate each other. . .The bible begins that any body that does not believe is condemned already, the koran says allah dislikes the unbeliever etc. .

No need trying to show yourself as an atheist in a very backward, ignorant and intolerant society like Nigeria where most people believe the bible or the koran came down from heaven. Even the christians and muslims love killing each other over their various religions, so you should expect worse as an atheist, since they theist living in Nigeria do not even like each other, they are just tolerating each other . .90% of the christians and muslims in Nigeria do not even know how the bible came about or the history of their various sects and religions. . .Most of them believe their various gods started it. . .

Here is a youtube video that will help you understand why theist hate or dislike atheist. . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j8ZMMuu7MU

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 8:05pm On Aug 27, 2013
Welcome to the life of logicboy!!!

I had a similar experience as the op. Luckily, I was a grown man (when I became an atheist) with potential and could fight my own battles as an atheist with family and close friends.

If I became an atheist as a teenager openly, I would have killed myself because I feel that I wouldnt be able to withstand the pressure I received from "loving" christians.

The problem is that religious people have been brainwashed to feare and hate disbelief/disbelievers/infidels/followers of other religion. They see hell when they even think of leaving the religion. These people are walking zombies with their brains in the hands of pastors and religious leaders.

Imagine the best christian debaters here- Anony, Enigma etc mostly hold that atheists have no morality. These people are bigots of the highest order

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by UyiIredia(m): 8:09pm On Aug 27, 2013
Well be content with the fact that your parents ain't kicked you out of the house, some atheists have sufferred that. People strongly disagree with atheism because a believe in God or adherence to some kind of religion (which usually suggests such) is the common thing. Religious adherence could also be so strong so a person is inclined to dislike a far-removed stance as yours, where such a person even manages to tolerate similar but unique stance. Fanaticism makes things worse. Since you are asking how your parents and friends feel with your stance, I'm curious to know whether you viewed atheists as offensive upon initially encountering them.
Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by UyiIredia(m): 8:12pm On Aug 27, 2013
Logicboy03: Welcome to the life of logicboy!!!

I had a similar experience as the op. Luckily, I was a grown man (when I became an atheist) with potential and could fight my own battles as an atheist with family and close friends.

If I became an atheist as a teenager openly, I would have killed myself because I feel that I wouldnt be able to withstand the pressure I received from "loving" christians.

The problem is that religious people have been brainwashed to feare and hate disbelief/disbelievers/infidels/followers of other religion. They see hell when they even think of leaving the religion. These people are walking zombies with their brains in the hands of pastors and religious leaders.

Imagine the best christian debaters here- Anony, Enigma etc mostly hold that atheists have no morality. These people are bigots of the highest order

I thought theirs was more like morality in atheism is self-defeating.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by mazaje(m): 8:13pm On Aug 27, 2013
Logicboy03: Welcome to the life of logicboy!!!

Lashing out, spreading lies and misconceptions, and demonizing the enemy is a natural way to react to opposition. . . Any anti-atheist backlash atheist are witnessing is simply the result of reactionary mean-spiritedness, and nothing more. The misinformation is a sign of desperation. . . .They accuse atheists of lacking moral codes. This is, of course, irrational, fear-mongering nonsense. . .I have asked them to define morality and they refuse to do so, instead they keep spewing nonsense gibberish. . .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by mazaje(m): 8:14pm On Aug 27, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

What is morality and why should it be self defeating in atheism?. . .
Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 8:15pm On Aug 27, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

What they hold, in my opinion, is that atheism, of itself, is bereft of any moral principles.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 8:21pm On Aug 27, 2013
musKeeto:

What they hold, in my opinion, is that atheism, of itself, is bereft of any moral principles.

Uyi Iredia:

Muskeeto and Uyi irrelvant, appeasing christians again.....

I had a thread that has them saying exactly that atheism is the corollary of immorality.
https://www.nairaland.com/1210342/christians-agree

Atheism doesnt have morality but atheists do- however, that is not what thesechristians were saying
Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 8:35pm On Aug 27, 2013
Appease Christians?
Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 8:36pm On Aug 27, 2013
one thing have learnt, never disclose your atheism status if you cant sustain yourself financially yet especially in Nigeria.
trust me, people won't care if u are a satanist when you are rich since their daily meal is in ur hand.
anyway, the only advice i can give u right now is to stay cool, don't be aggressive, and don't disclose your atheism status to anyone that u feel might not understand anymore (especially the aggressive ones), and don't commit suicide most of all. at least till you can stand on your own.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by wiegraf: 8:37pm On Aug 27, 2013
Logicboy03:

Muskeeto and Uyi irrelvant, appeasing christians again.....

I had a thread that has them saying exactly that atheism is the corollary of immorality.
https://www.nairaland.com/1210342/christians-agree

Atheism doesnt have morality but atheists do- however, that is not what thesechristians were saying

What a pathetic attempt to push their 'objective' morality

The one that features killing folk then roasting them for eternity for wearing different fabrics no less.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by italo: 8:41pm On Aug 27, 2013
It would be interesting to know what an Atheist's morality is all about..
Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 8:44pm On Aug 27, 2013
italo: It would be interesting to know what an Atheist's morality is all about..

Apparently God forgot to tell the catholic church and Italo that humans come with an intellect capable of making moral decisions, not only christians.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by engrtee(f): 8:48pm On Aug 27, 2013
You deserve it
Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 8:53pm On Aug 27, 2013
engrtee: You deserve it

some christians have no shame over their heartlessness

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 8:56pm On Aug 27, 2013

Just like the Christians killed by Muslims in different Religious crises around the country deserved to be killed... undecided

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by mazaje(m): 9:03pm On Aug 27, 2013
italo: It would be interesting to know what an Atheist's morality is all about..

What is morality?. . .
Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by mazaje(m): 9:05pm On Aug 27, 2013
musKeeto:

Just like the Christians killed by Muslims in different Religious crises around the country deserved to be killed... undecided

I truly hope the muslim jihadist kill him and his family, because they truly deserve allah's wrath for being unbelievers. . .

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by UyiIredia(m): 9:12pm On Aug 27, 2013
Logicboy03:

Apparently God forgot to tell the catholic church and Italo that humans come with an intellect capable of making moral decisions, not only christians.

Wait, don't tell me mindless matter made immaterial intellect.
Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by UyiIredia(m): 9:14pm On Aug 27, 2013
9jadelta: one thing have learnt, never disclose your atheism status if you cant sustain yourself financially yet especially in Nigeria.
trust me, people won't care if u are a satanist when you are rich since their daily meal is in ur hand.
anyway, the only advice i can give u right now is to stay cool, don't be aggressive, and don't disclose your atheism status to anyone that u feel might not understand anymore (especially the aggressive ones), and don't commit suicide most of all. at least till you can stand on your own.

True talk. Seriously, if I was atheist that's what I would do. Even then, like the US I doubt an open atheist can hold a political office in these parts.
Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by plaetton: 9:21pm On Aug 27, 2013
mazaje:

Lashing out, spreading lies and misconceptions, and demonizing the enemy is a natural way to react to opposition. . . Any anti-atheist backlash atheist are witnessing is simply the result of reactionary mean-spiritedness, and nothing more. The misinformation is a sign of desperation. . . .They accuse atheists of lacking moral codes. This is, of course, irrational, fear-mongering nonsense. . .I have asked them to define morality and they refuse to do so, instead they keep spewing nonsense gibberish. . .

Exactly.
What Atheism does is to re-ignite their deep held doubts about their religious beliefs. So the self-defence mechanism that is imbedded in religious faith automatically kicks in to lash out at atheists.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by frank317: 10:11pm On Aug 27, 2013

How? Do u deserve to b killed by muslims because u dont believe in Allah?

If No, how then does he deserve persecusion from his family because he does not believe in God?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by MrTroll(m): 10:42pm On Aug 27, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Wait, don't tell me mindless matter made immaterial intellect.

Its neither the time and place for this guys. Somewhere else...

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 10:54pm On Aug 27, 2013
Mr Troll:

Its neither the time and place for this guys. Somewhere else...

lol..they are both foolish.... wink

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Afrobasic(m): 10:58pm On Aug 27, 2013
@op, I'm in you shoes in way (engr. student, late teens, religious background) wink but my own case is different because I do not talk about my atheism. I jejely go to church when I'm at home, if they start suspecting that I don't believe in their monbo-jonbo, I'll be in big trouble(bigger trouble than getting a girl pregnant undecided). at school, I enjoy my sundays, friends keep trying to shove their religion into my face, but i'm totally immune to it grin.

You might call me a coward embarassed, but After calculating the odds, I realize it's better I remain a coward for now.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Afrobasic(m): 11:01pm On Aug 27, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1414181/why-christian-woman-sentenced-death
This woman also deserves it. Yeah?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by italo: 11:04pm On Aug 27, 2013
You should ask your frllow Atheist, Logicboy. Ask him what "spiritual" means too. He said Atheists are spiritual.

mazaje:

What is morality?. . .
Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by Nobody: 11:05pm On Aug 27, 2013
italo: You should ask your frllow Atheist, Logicboy. Ask him what "spiritual" means too. He said Atheists are spiritual.

stop trying to derail.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists/agnostics Viewed So Vilely by mazaje(m): 11:07pm On Aug 27, 2013
italo: You should ask your frllow Atheist, Logicboy. Ask him what "spiritual" means too. He said Atheists are spiritual.

What is morality?. .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Nigerians Love Celebrating Christmas: Top 10 Reasons / Return Of The Devil - Female Pastor Preaching With Bare Boobs - Video/ Photos / Atheists Let's Have Fun. Anti-religion Memes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.