Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,084 members, 7,814,748 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider (15572 Views)

White Man, Policeman & Okada Rider On One Motorcycle Over Fuel Scarcity - Photo / How Ex-president Arranged Arrest of Diezani - Silverbirdtv.com / ‘Lai Mohammed Detained For Abusing Jonathan’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by vivaciousvivi(f): 1:50pm On Aug 28, 2013
I am sorry, I am still trying to understand what the dude did wrong? Recording policemen allegedly demanding bribe from a civilian innocently trying to irk out a living is now considered a crime
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by lastpage: 1:51pm On Aug 28, 2013
Nigeria Police:
The Lagos State Police Command has arrested a medical representative, Gregory Muonylilo, for allegedly video recording policemen who were arresting a commercial motorcyclist.
The Question the Police I.G needs to answer is whether it is NOW a CONSTITUTIONALLY -BACKED CRIMINAL OFFENCE to record Video of Police men on duty (as Public Servants), in a Public Place. The emphasis is on "public place".

PUNCH Metro learnt that the suspect was arrested at the Amuwo Odofin area of the state by policemen attached to Area E Command.

Nigeria Police: The policemen were said to have attempted to arrest a commercial motorcyclist for breaking the traffic law, while the suspect was recording the incident.

The suspect’s brother, Onyeka, said, “Apparently the policemen set up a checkpoint in front of his office yesterday (Monday) and were harassing okada riders. He started recording it

*This man was in his own office. he has a legal right to be in his office and that right is protected by the constitution.
*This man was using his own phone, using part of the function "in-built" into his smart phone.
*It is every citizens duty to "help the Police" in the detection and prevention of a POSSIBLE OCCURRENCE of crime, irrespective of whoever the criminals might turn out to be (I guess the Police would be happy to use his recordings if it turned out the Okada man shot one of the Police and ran away!). So the man was only doing his "citizens duty" and cannot be punished for that.

Nigeria Police: “The policemen saw him and became agitated. They collected his phone and left.”

“They came back around 4pm, arrested him and took him to their station.

*This is nothing short of impunity and tyranny! They have no right to deprive him of his property, lawfully acquired.
* Worst they could do is to ask him what he was recording and if there is need at all, ask him to delete it (as in cases of National Security being at risk... and this must be proven convincingly!

Nigeria Police: “From Amuwo Odofin, they took him to the Special Anti-Robbery Squad, Ikeja, where he was detained.”
The I.G has added illegal detention to part of the problems of the Police in this particular case!
The way he was transferred to the SARS/X-Department shows that the Police hierarchy are involved in this criminality and must have given "direct orders" to their foot soldiers to "target and liquidate anyone trying to expose Police criminality".
What "probable cause" / reason did the Police establish to warrant their transferring this man to locations specifically set-up for armed robbers, terrorists and high-risk criminals?
Who ordered this transfer?
Why is the lagos Police PRO (Ngozi Braide) complicit in this matter?

Is this the Police that our amiable I.G promised us he would build and reform? Is this his reform agenda? Oga at the Top please tell us o!

Nigeria Police: PUNCH Metro learnt that ever since the dismissal of a police sergeant, Chris Omeleze, who was caught on camera demanding bribe from a motorist, policemen have become paranoid about people recording their activities.

When contacted on the telephone, Police Public Relations Officer, Ngozi Braide, denied claims that the policemen were harassing the okada rider.

She also debunked claims that the victim was taken to SARS. She said he was taken to the X-Squad Department
If this man could be snatched-up from his office, and treated this way, imagine what could have happened if the incident occurred in one remote location, say along the express road of Ibadan or Benin?
This criminals would have shot him dead and declare him an armed robber!
And what would PRO Ngozi Braide say? Your guess is as good as mine. wink

Nigeria Police: She said, “The policemen were on legal duty and they had apprehended an okada rider for riding on a restricted route. I spoke to the man who was arrested and he never told me that the policemen were asking for bribe from the commercial motorcyclist they were trying to arrest. The man was recording and we do not know his motive.
http://www.punchng.com/metro/police-nab-man-recording-arrest-of-okada-rider/

*No one is even disputing whether the Police are on "legal duty or not".
*At least we can deduce that from the video the man was recording.
*Publish that Video in its complete form and let the world decide whether it is so or otherwise.
*A competent court can request for that video and if you claim to have deleted it, then you can be arrested and jailed for "tampering with evidence". Simple
*That "you do not know his motive" is a very silly excuse to arrest him and detain him at SARS or X-Department!
All you need to do is ask him his motive. it may just be that he is doing a research on "Police/Public Relationship".

I have taken time to highlight a few things in this episode above to assist those who are in the position to take this up.
It is a very simple "slam-dunk" case and l think this Man should be assisted to be freed first and then institute a legal civil case against the Nigeria Police.
We can only change this country if we all act and sit-up.
This is my own contribution.
Others should please contribute their own in any way they are eminently qualified to do.

Lastpage!

9 Likes

Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by HolyHolla(m): 1:52pm On Aug 28, 2013
Reyus: Caught on tape tins. Police are becoming wise.
Its time to buy spy cam.. the pen or eye glasses type.

Go for Google Glass...
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by nnemmpi(m): 1:53pm On Aug 28, 2013
stupid npf,i hate them
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by chopsyray(m): 1:58pm On Aug 28, 2013
Kelechi2020: Ok.the article is now more descriptive.
Please if there is anyone here who lives around that area should give us first hand information on police former activites in the area so as to ascertain why this guy was arrested since the video recording must have been destroyed.
I urge the inspector general of police to make it compulsory that policemen record there activites while on duty.and the videos aired on national television.this will go a long way in enforcing discipline in police officers as well as restore the respect and confidence by citizens which has long been lost due to poor police discipline system.
You mean the national television should show just police activities, and I guess the various state televisions should also show man'O war and boys Brigade

1 Like

Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by herquleez(m): 1:59pm On Aug 28, 2013
Actually, it's illegal to camera policemen on duty. I question the rationale behind that law though.

If you must do so, abeg make Dem no catch you o.
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by lastpage: 2:04pm On Aug 28, 2013
herquleez: Actually, it's illegal to camera policemen on duty. I question the rationale behind that law though.

If you must do so, abeg make Dem no catch you o.
Please forgive my ignorance;
Can you direct me to any law, anywhere, in the constitution as opposed to just "here-say", where it is written that "recording policemen on duty in a PUBLIC SPACE is ILLEGAL"?

I will be happy to learn from you.

Cheers.

Lastpage!
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by lastpage: 2:12pm On Aug 28, 2013
REALITY101:

WTF? It's always easy to spot out broke dudes. Punk you're watching a lot of BET, YouTube and MTV shits. Wake up, you live in a shitt hole "Nigeria" you don't have no fundamental right dimwit. I hate dealing with lame folks so I'm gonna have to let you play this lame Shiit with your fada. I'm out. Nigga sound like a village boy who recently got his smelly asss off to Lagos
Hehehehe, dont amuse me more please!
I am not even going to discuss who is broke with your type.
All this "forming" you are doing will not help you, you better beg for help so l can help you! grin

I am poor, l live in a shyte hole and l am begging for Oyinbo Visa sef! grin grin

Anuofia-scumbag like you? ! kiss teetotaller
(I have deliberately refrained from insulting your father b'cos he did not offend me and he could be that my very nice gate-man looking after my house in lagos, whenever l am out of the country). wink wink

Lastpage!

NB: if you have any meaningful contribution to make, make it here and lets see if you have anything in your head, apart from "forming abroad" for some gaals you want to impress! shocked shocked grin grin
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by BCELLS(m): 2:20pm On Aug 28, 2013
REALITY101:

Damn bro you muedered it grin
&u in particular
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by slimfit1(m): 2:20pm On Aug 28, 2013
I'm sure he knows about all this things the ig and he is telling them how to keep it low key. The ig himself is part of the corrupt system.
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by FBS: 2:48pm On Aug 28, 2013
It's not the same issue here but personally I'm not surprised. A few years back, I was taking pictures of those new lagos buses, omo come see fight between myself, siblings and those i.di.ots at the bus garage/park. It almost turned lethal.

Now I'm not even sure what case they have against this man. In Nigeria anything is possible! SMH!

Abeg make them release the guy jare!
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by erico2k2(m): 4:45pm On Aug 28, 2013
REALITY101: Ok you are in Nigeria and know how your fuccked up system works, stop being a jerkass. #police-business

About or more ago a man's dog was shot to death by police in Texas because he was walking his dog around his neighborhood and saw SWAT team on a crime scene so he started recording the action. When the 'police approached him, his dog as man's best friend jumped out of the car via rolled down window trying to attack the officers and kaboom they pulled the trigger...

Nobody wants his arss on YouTube for some stupid shit. Moral of the story: mind your business sometimes
very diffrent sceen.a corned crime scene is no longer publc space.you as MOp is not allowed into that space hence the space and everything thereoff is only subjected to the SWAT team not even the texas police are allowed there.
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by ogmask: 5:10pm On Aug 28, 2013
lastpage:
Hehehehe, dont amuse me more please!
I am not even going to discuss who is broke with your type.
All this "forming" you are doing will not help you, you better beg for help so l can help you! grin

I am poor, l live in a shyte hole and l am begging for Oyinbo Visa sef! grin grin

Anuofia-scumbag like you? ! kiss teetotaller
(I have deliberately refrained from insulting your father b'cos he did not offend me and he could be that my very nice gate-man looking after my house in lagos, whenever l am out of the country). wink wink

Lastpage!

NB: if you have any meaningful contribution to make, make it here and lets see if you have anything in your head, apart from "forming abroad" for some gaals you want to impress! shocked shocked grin grin

Why u dey do like dis na? all this for only one person? HABA!!!
Him papa lock ur GF out wen rain dey fall? Omo 101 hafa?
grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by BrightCar: 5:26pm On Aug 28, 2013
fasbat: ds is d more reason nig govt will never install CCTV cameras at strategic locations,imagine holding a phone now a crime in nigeria...what a country!!!
IF THEIR HANDS ARE CLEAN, WHY ARREST THE MAN, WHY SEIZE HIS CAMERA?
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by jude33084(m): 5:48pm On Aug 28, 2013
Kelechi2020: @op please do some tidying up on your article.
What is ur source?
So that our Mods can take this to front page.

angry
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by jude33084(m): 5:48pm On Aug 28, 2013
Kelechi2020: @op please do some tidying up on your article.
What is ur source?
So that our Mods can take this to front page.

What is it with you and frontpage? undecided
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by afrikanns: 6:02pm On Aug 28, 2013
the most worrisome of it,is that they are human being like u,and a question to ask all nairalander.If u are in their shoes are u not going to do same? because b4 u join u will be the u all make the change until u are in the sys.u get to no that change is long die bro
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by hummerwise(m): 6:12pm On Aug 28, 2013
As civilians we gat no weapons or equipment 2 check the NPF activities, bt this means we got we are going to use it to the fullest and to the best of our ability...'MEn in black' we,ve just gotten started....#need 2 get a new fone with high quality pictures#
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by hummerwise(m): 6:12pm On Aug 28, 2013
As civilians we gat no weapons or equipment 2 check the NPF activities, bt this means we got we are going to use it to the fullest and to the best of our ability...'MEn in black' we,ve just gotten started....#need 2 get a new fone with high quality pictures#

1 Like

Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by ALISMILE(m): 7:30pm On Aug 28, 2013
These nigerians re just stupid,prejudiced and ungrateful. U re biased and critical of anytin about ur country,even the the guys who put their lives on d line to protect u. Why dont u idiots just get out of this country and go somewhere else where the police there will pamper u.
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by unmask: 7:35pm On Aug 28, 2013
[b]She also debunked claims that the victim was taken to SARS. She said he was taken to the X-Squad Department[/b]why do I fear the name X-squad?
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by patostation(m): 10:49pm On Aug 28, 2013
mr_king: Dude messed up!!! He should have been smart about it! Right now police can even kill anyone found recording their activities! So if you must record or video any crime scene, you should be smart about it! Make sure you don't get caught!!!

The police are even becoming smarter on this matter (you know, once beaten, twice shy). They now have plain cloth officers in every illegal mission. I tried to record them one day at Opebi Roundabout focussing only on the uniformed without realizing that one of them in Mufti was behind me. Your guess as to what happened next is as good as mine. I was mercilessly beaten, my phone smashed, my glasses smashed and I have never been humiliated that way in my life. My Lawyer said I was lucky to get away with my life.
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by touchmeder: 12:03am On Aug 29, 2013
Guys you need to be very smart when recording police officers o. I had a friend who was complaining the other day about being beaten while he was recording what was referred to as '' the war declared by the State Ministry of Environment on poor people''

so please be very tactful when filming police or any one else
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by Osama10(m): 12:31am On Aug 29, 2013
This country can never move forward, the odds are just too much.

What is the police scared off?
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by Branzy(m): 1:01am On Aug 29, 2013
let d police show us the video to prove actualy if the guy actually videod them.... fear no go let dem
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by ugsams(m): 10:43am On Aug 29, 2013
pato station:

The police are even becoming smarter on this matter (you know, once beaten, twice shy). They now have plain cloth officers in every illegal mission. I tried to record them one day at Opebi Roundabout focussing only on the uniformed without realizing that one of them in Mufti was behind me. Your guess as to what happened next is as good as mine. I was mercilessly beaten, my phone smashed, my glasses smashed and I have never been humiliated that way in my life. My Lawyer said I was lucky to get away with my life.

It seems the idea of having some of their members in mufti to cover up and watch out for them is their new protective measure. I was codedly taking pictures at Abule Egba and one of them hit me from behind, I never knew he was a police man so I pushed him back and we started dragging for my phone. I only realized that he was one of them when he raised an alarm that I was taking their pictures and the uniformed men came to pick me. They wanted me to enter the black Maria but I refused and they accused me of violating their privacy. I was not going to argue the law with them, all I wanted was my freedom. So I tried to explain to them that I only took the picture because I was amazed as a result of the number of bikes that they seized successfully and the number of offenders arrested in the black Maria. They asked me what I wanted to do with the photo I told them that I only took it on a casual note.

All these while, they were still with my phone and after my sermon I was directed to enter the blackmaria. When I saw that my explanations couldnt help me I told their superior that am a journalist. They insisted that I must follow them to the office, i was busy pleading for my phone so that I will be leaving. After some minutes the most superior observed that there was a circumstance on ground, he came out of his vehicle and motioned them to bring me. When we got to his car, they told him I was taking photos and he told them that it was not a crime. They pointed out that it was pictures of them that I was taking and the man asked my motive and I explained to him. They also told him that am a journalist and suggested they take me to the station. The Oga in charge of the raid, asked if I have sent out the photos to my office or internet and demanded for my identity card, I said no and he requested I should delete the photos which I gladly did. He warned that I should take permission next time before I take any photo and told me that if it was just the boys that came for the raid that they would have arrested and dealt with me.

Please let's be careful when taking such photos if only we must take them. Our society is not yet ready for such freedom a telephoto lens or spy camera may be helpful.
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by iykeh1(m): 11:46am On Aug 29, 2013
one tin is sure one day this country will be a beta place for all of us
is nt going to be done by god cumin dwn frm heaven bt by us(me and u)
people that tink good for Nigeria shd also apply more caution so we be able to leap the fruit of our labour wic was promised us by nature..............................PROUDLY BLACK PROUDLY NIGERIAN
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by ini4brandon(m): 11:59am On Aug 29, 2013
Poor doc. guys, dont be next BE SMART.... THERE are smart AND CHEAP GADGETS YOU CAN USE TO RECORD secretly without raising eyebrows;TO ORDER, Call;08104283778 or email bellabell135@yahoo.com. serious buyers please
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by iykeh1(m): 12:31pm On Aug 29, 2013
Poor doc. guys, dont be next BE SMART.... THERE are smart AND CHEAP GADGETS YOU CAN USE TO RECORD secretly without raising eyebrows;TO ORDER, Call;08104283778 or email bellabell135@yahoo.com.

@ini4brandon
why will you send us email address that is not going dats not nice
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by lastpage: 4:31pm On Aug 29, 2013
unmask: She also debunked claims that the victim was taken to SARS. She said he was taken to the X-Squad Department.
why do I fear the name X-squad?

X-Squad?

hmmm... e X termination Squad! shocked shocked lipsrsealed

Lastpage!
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by lastpage: 4:59pm On Aug 29, 2013
ugsams:

It seems the idea of having some of their members in mufti to cover up and watch out for them is their new protective measure. I was codedly taking pictures at Abule Egba and one of them hit me from behind, I never knew he was a police man so I pushed him back and we started dragging for my phone. I only realized that he was one of them when he raised an alarm that I was taking their pictures and the uniformed men came to pick me. They wanted me to enter the black Maria but I refused and they accused me of violating their privacy. I was not going to argue the law with them, all I wanted was my freedom. So I tried to explain to them that I only took the picture because I was amazed as a result of the number of bikes that they seized successfully and the number of offenders arrested in the black Maria. They asked me what I wanted to do with the photo I told them that I only took it on a casual note.

All these while, they were still with my phone and after my sermon I was directed to enter the blackmaria. When I saw that my explanations couldnt help me I told their superior that am a journalist. They insisted that I must follow them to the office, i was busy pleading for my phone so that I will be leaving. After some minutes the most superior observed that there was a circumstance on ground, he came out of his vehicle and motioned them to bring me. When we got to his car, they told him I was taking photos and he told them that it was not a crime. They pointed out that it was pictures of them that I was taking and the man asked my motive and I explained to him. They also told him that am a journalist and suggested they take me to the station. The Oga in charge of the raid, asked if I have sent out the photos to my office or internet and demanded for my identity card, I said no and he requested I should delete the photos [/b]which I gladly did. He warned that [b]I should take permission next time before I take any photo and told me that if it was just the boys that came for the raid that they would have arrested and dealt with me.

Please let's be careful when taking such photos if only we must take them. Our society is not yet ready for such freedom a telephoto lens or spy camera may be helpful.
From what we've read so far, it is obvious that he Police are hell-bent on intimidating the public into submission?
But the day we give up and submit to them, is the day we sell our souls and submit to a second round of slavery!

Remember, in the olden days of human slavery, the "public" could have revolted against their KING who violated their human rights and sold them into SLAVERY? But they were too fearful and "submitted to intimidation". It took the white slave-buyers to say "we dont want any more slaves", for slavery to stop!

My friends, if you dont do it for yourself, just do it for your children and their children.
Why is Martin Lurther King still being celebrated today? FOR THE SACRIFICES HE MADE FOR THE MASSES IN HIS LIFE TIME.

*When you are filming/recording,
1) Dont place the camera at "head-level or eye level" ..it makes it so obvious you are recording. Work out the angle and focus the phone-camera lense on the "object" while you pretend to do other things.
I have done a recording while facing the opposite direction (Camera was at my back facing object while l leaned on a railing looking and facing the opposite direction!).
2.) You can record "audio only" even with the phone INSIDE your pocket! It will pick-up the voice and you can "amplify it" if need be, to make it louder! This is particularly useful when dealing with "Police or other people who ask for bribe.
3.) You dont have to be close to the action to record video! You can "zoom-in" on the object of interest, from a long way off!

*I will also encourage everyone to "affiliate" with an organisation, be it local or foreign. CNN, Aljhazeera, Russian TV (RT), The Guardian, local Newspapers, Reporters without Borders, e.t.c. Post articles and videos there.
When they ask you, tell them you are a journalist, a FREELANCE journalist. It comes in handy when their "bullying and intimidating" tactics dont work anymore. These sources will expose them to the world surely and the fact that you have been a contributor to their News site will help you in that regard. What their oga and the Govt dont want is exposure of their corrupt activity, to the "big world" .

EVIDENCE is your best protection in anything that has to do with the LAW!
Tell the Police that your phone is "internet connected and programmed to send out any photo or recording you make", to at least three people's computer.... just in case anything happens to you! wink wink
(Note: This is actually true as l have "automatic syncing" enabled between my phone and about three different Email address l chose. You can enable it whenever you think you need to do so, just to save you "bandwidth cost" but mine is left "on", 24/7. I am encouraging everyone to do same.)

It has saved me once, in a dangerous situation as l told the Police man that even as l am "discussing" with him (He was actually threatening me), the conversation is being heard and recorded by at least three people so, even if he takes my phone or kill me, it does not change anything!
He smiled (sudden change of countenance!) and asked me to teach him how to do something like that! I gave him a fake phone number and asked him to call me later when he is off duty ... but he let me go -- "carry your wahala away"!
Teach you so you can use it for evil, right? shocked shocked

This is a "war" we have to win. Its part of our "citizens effort" to improve our society.
Keeping quiet is NOT an option.

And our "Lawyers" need to "step-up" their game! WHY are they so fearful and easily intimidated?
The reason they are "learned people" is because they know the "in-and-outs" of the law and they say "Knowledge is Power"!
Use it to your advantage and benefit of the people.
Let us keep suing the Police if they harass us or anyone we know or come across.
Little by little, we will dent their armor of corruption, harassment and intimidation.

Lastpage!
Re: Man Detained For Recording Arrest Of Okada Rider by drnoel: 7:09pm On Aug 29, 2013
now I know this police woman is a real liar. So someone who is in his office recording an event on the street is arrested for what reason and she has the guts to lie about it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Release Dasuki’s International Passport, Court Orders FG - Vanguard / Atiku Supporters Group Dumps Atiku, Endorses Buhari (Video) / Bashir Ahmad Rejects Results Of Albasu/Gaya/Ajingi Federal Constituency

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.