Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,013 members, 7,838,547 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:49 AM

Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? (7299 Views)

My Conclusion On 1st Class 2.1 And 2.2 / When Did You Know You'd Be Bagging A 3rd Class (or Pass) ? / Should HND Holders Go To Hell? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jun 07, 2006
@darkmanzero,

thanks for pointing that out bro, that was not the intent of my post. Sorry they sounded arrogant, i guess i got carried away.

Pls accept my apologies.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Okusanya(m): 2:25pm On Jun 08, 2006
what an intresting topic!!!!!!!!!!! I think what we all must realise is that we cant be at the same place, level at the same time. I have friend that hav 2.2 that are working with multinational companies. How did they get there? you would ask, well I cant say.

I think what each of us must strive at is personal improvement, either you have 2.1 or 2.2 you can also do some other programs (post graduate, professional etc) so as to be marketable the more.

Plse try to improve yourself so that when the oppurtunities roll in you can grab it.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by 6thsense(m): 3:43pm On Jun 08, 2006
i have a 2'2 and that was because of the hard times and many illnesses i suffered while i was in school.i know i have a first class brain because my waec was As thruout and i have passed all the bank tests i have taken so far.i dont like the way some of this multinationals and banks insist on only 2'1 and ist class.cant they conduct tests and then weed out from there?its really a shame.and something has to be done about it
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by dakmanzero(m): 4:11pm On Jun 08, 2006
Dude.

Which banks?

All the banks I know take 2.2's if they pass.

If you failed the interviews, it was because of something else. Banks usually draw the line at 3rd class.

The main culprits of grade discrimination are consulting firms, and if you arent a 2.1 or 1st, you should realise you will probably not be comfortable in such an environment, anyway.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by DRANOEL(m): 4:14pm On Jun 08, 2006
the truth is what university of agric abeakuta sees as 2.1 might be pass at university of agric makurdi! what uni abuja might see as 1st class might be 3rd class at unijos! the system of grading is not ok,let every one that graduated with honors be given a chance afterall of recent british universities have been talking about doing away with the grading system and sticking with honors and pass.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Genial(m): 4:43pm On Jun 08, 2006
DRANOEL:

the truth is what university of agric abeakuta sees as 2.1 might be pass at university of agric makurdi! what uni abuja might see as 1st class might be 3rd class at unijos!

I don't agree with that, Mr. It certainly isn't the truth. It is so incredible as to border on the ridiculous.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by DRANOEL(m): 5:25pm On Jun 08, 2006
agree with it or dont agree with it, thats your cup of tea. as a 1st class holder you should know that the person teaching you is not the same one teaching the other man and so their grading cant be the same or should i have cause to doubt that paper you have?
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Genial(m): 6:48pm On Jun 08, 2006
DRANOEL:

agree with it or don't agree with it, thats your cup of tea. as a 1st class holder you should know that the person teaching you is not the same one teaching the other man and so their grading can't be the same or should i have cause to doubt that paper you have?

Hehehe. . .

This is getting more and more ridiculous!

You're almost getting me convinced that you don't know the first thing about university standards and regulations. . . .
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by T2(m): 7:49pm On Jun 08, 2006
Very interesting topic, was gonna comment earlier, but it was getting a bit passionate specially from davidylan, but as he has cooled down (I hope) cheesy let me comment a bit on the more recent posts,

Yes Departments and maybe universities matters in getting a 1st class, at least from my experience,

Example:
I know a couple of guys that did Physics in Uni, they had some elec/elec electives in engineering, the 1st semester, they all scattered with A's, the physics department then introduced an elective, some elec/elec guys came over and best they could manage was a D, just like the rest of the physics boys.

In that department, only every 4-5 years or so would you get someone with a 1st class, and no they are not all dumb, each time they did electives outside the department or transferred to another department ended the D' story they were used to getting internally.

I know most of these guys in physics prolly didn’t do too well in JAMB and initially wanted to do engineering etc, but same goes to people who are doing zoology, botany and biology (at least in naija uni mentality). Majority also probably wanted to get into medicine, but 1st class wasn’t so scarce in those departments.

And low JAMB score for one uni might be high for another for the same course. My point here is, if you can not get into, for example OAU b'cos of JAMB, you might be able to get into another uni for the same course. Would it be fair to a 1st class student from university xyz to be screened out of a company because he didn’t finish from an "ivy" league university? It happens and it’s also a screening method. Is that fair?

So back to the post, screening only 1st and 2'1 is probably the easiest way for companies to reduce the amount of applicants, is it the best and fair? I don't think so.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by ceebite: 8:11am On Jun 09, 2006
If 2.2 shld go 2 hell,then it means 3rd class shld definitely go to the lake of fire. I'm a 3rd class holder,but that'L not limit me.I worked as a contact staff in 1 of d pfas&i know i performed more than a 2.1 holder,even d so called group heads,who cant say a complete sentence (,dis na fact,no bragging)its not about wat u av on d outside-degree,but wat u can bring out 4m d inside-ur potentials. It's wel my brodaz
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by ceebite: 8:12am On Jun 09, 2006
If 2.2 shld go 2 hell,then it means 3rd class shld definitely go to the lake of fire. I'm a 3rd class holder,but that'L not limit me.I worked as a contact staff in 1 of d pfas&i know i performed more than a 2.1 holder,even d so called group heads,who cant say a complete sentence (,dis na fact,no bragging)its not about wat u av on d outside-degree,but wat u can bring out 4m d inside-ur potentials. It's wel my brodaz
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by ceebite: 8:12am On Jun 09, 2006
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Nobody: 9:32am On Jun 09, 2006
when i was in the university i over worked my self to get a 2-1, but at the end cos i refused to cheat i ended up missing 2:1 with a margin of 0.1.
now the job market is dicriminating, i see few of my class mates with 2:1 and u know u r sure better than them but u cant complain cos u dont just have it. well wat i have decided to do is not cry of spilt milk i have decided to improve on my self get some external certifications and allow God to prove himself although i have come to notice in this country that hardwork dont really pay. i just wished i cheated a little
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Nobody: 9:42am On Jun 09, 2006
hello genial , standards differs from university to university, except u did not attend a university in nigeria then u wont know.
so a first class from school A might be a 2:2 from school B, i f u r in doubt u can ask an interviewer, most 2:2 perform better to some 2:1 in some test conducted although we still have 2:1's that merit it and we also know they r really few.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by darqly(m): 4:03pm On Jun 09, 2006
It seems some people are getting "irritated" at the insinuation that they aren't as smart as their qualifications claim, or that they are actually smarter than what that piece of A4 minting paper says. You can only be so smart or lucky to cover your incompetence in any field for so long. And as well, you can't keep a genius under wraps,it'll just keep seeping out!!

When you pass an exam or test, it's because you studied and were able to channel all you garnered to your benefit when the need arose. Some people read alot but they still can't pass or at best, they get mediocre grades. I believe they're doing something the wrong way, and if they get help on time, they will improve and be where they really should be academically.

All this brouhaha; there are "graduates" that can't write their own application letters, can't spell- it doesn't matter what class they finished with, the bottom line is they are not quite the finished product. If you try hard enough, you will be where you want to be, not where you ought to be.[b]Success is a choice, so is the level that is attainable. [/b]Some folks just want to earn enough to buy a "pint" at the end of the day; they work till they attain that level and then just keep coasting there.

And that's why no mattter what class you finish with, you owe it yourself to admit that you worked for it and have to make the most of it. If you're so smug with your 1st class or 2.1, then by all means live off your inventions. If you're so full of self pity with your 2.2, 3rd class or pass, then by all means wallow in it!! If you're an elite graduate who can't prove your worth, someone else will take the oppurtunity, simple as that.

1 Like

Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by DRANOEL(m): 8:02pm On Jun 09, 2006
well said dargly
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Genial(m): 10:18pm On Jun 09, 2006
kaecy5:

hello genial , standards differs from university to university, except u did not attend a university in nigeria then u wont know.
so a first class from school A might be a 2:2 from school B, i f you're in doubt u can ask an interviewer, most 2:2 perform better to some 2:1 in some test conducted although we still have 2:1's that merit it and we also know they r really few.

Hello Kaecy5.

I find it unacceptable to compare a 2:2 obtained from one university (A) with a pass degree obtained from another university (B), given that both universities are under the same regulatory body (If first class from University A = 2:2 from University B, then 2:2 from University A = pass from University B; assuming that the relationship is of a linear nature and the same constants apply over the same range of values).

A first class from one university (A) cannot be a 2:2 in another university (B).

Your argument may be more tenable if you said that a student that had a first class in one school may not be able to reproduce the same result in another school. That may be true, since we know that learning conditions are not the same for all universities. It may also be true that some students do not deserve the grades that they graduate with. Does that mean that the grades of all the students who graduated from the same institution are suspect also? Hardly so.

Please note that there is a difference between a student and the school in question and, as has been stated before on this thread, there are several events that determine the outcome of a given examination. Your final result on graduation is usually a result of consistent performance at the same level over a period of time.

Unless you can show that:

1.) All (or at least 60 percent) of the academic staff of University A are unqualified and inferior to those of University B,
2.) The learning environment in University A is significantly inferior to that in University B
3.) Graduates of University A consistently perform, under the same conditions, poorly when compared with their counterparts from University B with the same grades, and
4.) Poor performance on the job and at interviews is restricted to certain universities excluding University B, and one of which is University A,
(and if you can prove all of this, then there would be no need for the existence of the current universities regulatory body, as it would have failed to perform its duties)

your argument is invalid, and there is nothing to support your assertion that a that first class in one university is equivalent to 2:2 in another university. 

The qualification depicted on a certificate is just what it is: a reflection of your performance during the period in review. It may or may not be an accurate representation of your capability. It is, however, the best way of determining the capacity of a student to assimilate, retain and process information under the particular prevalent circumstances (which should, in theory, be the same for everyone).

A leopard cannot change its spots. Time will always tell whether or not the grade on your certificate is an accurate representation of your ability under the given conditions.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by donaremu(m): 10:59am On Jun 14, 2006
hello, they meant the overall grade, which is cumulative assessment of all the semester's result.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Flakynaz: 11:20am On Jun 29, 2006
this particular subject caught my attention and i just had to post this in.There are actually alot of sides to this issue, but one thing is certain i dont know how much u probably believe in yourself but the truth is whatever qualification u got HAVE SOMETHING UPSTAIRS COS THATS A RECIPIE THAT WILL MAKE YOU STAND OUT inspite of ur paper qualification, you will apply it in whatever field u find yourself eventually either in the corporate world or otherwise. Now this is where am actually going am beginning to believe theres more to it than meet the eyes when i see ladies that believe that their counterparts are mostly those that are not self deserving of it.Am sorry to say this are u sure its not (beefs)permitt me to use that cos its actually annoying when people question qualifications cos its a female in possessionof it. good grades i understand ladies sometimes could be a good reason why this happens cos of the extent they are ready to go but please give us a break for those that came out with grades through hardwork and can stand out and tall 4 it anywhere defending what we made out of school.Cos though not many can boast of that but there are still a handfull or probably more in such shoes.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by rotbog(m): 12:09pm On Jun 30, 2006
IN MY OWN OPINION, I BELIEVE A GENUINE FIRST CLASS [I STRESS THE WORD GENUINE] FROM AN IVY LEAGUE UNIVERSITY IS SUPERIOR TO THAT FROM A MUSHROOM UNIVERSITY. I SPAEK FROM AVAILABLE FACTS, BUT I WONT BORE U WITH DETAILS OF WHAT I PRESUME U ALL ALREADY KNOW.
I SEE NO WAY HOW A UNIVERSITY SYSTEM LIKE NIGERIA'S CAN CLAIM TO HAVE A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD WHEN WE HAVE DIFFERENT JAMB CUT-OFF POINTS FOR DIFEERENT UNIVERSITIES.
ON A PLATFORM OF LOGIC: CAN U COMPARE AN ELECTRONIC ENGR STUDENT WHO CAME IN THRU A GENUINE JAMB CT-OFF OF 320 TO ONE IN ANODA SCHOOL WHOSE ENTRY CUTOFF IS 220?

I ON MY OWN [MIND U ITS MY OPINION] WOULD NOT GRADE A 1ST CLASS FROM THE FORMER WITH A 1ST CLASS FROM THE LATTER. THIS HAS BEEN PROVEN TIMES WITHOUT NUMBA.

I KNOW I GUY, INFACT A SIT MATE OF MINE IN HIGH SCHOOL WHO WAS A DATUM , A REFERENCE POINT FOR GENUIS. I MEAN THIS GUY WAS VAST. HE HARDLY READ FOR MORE THAN 3HRS A DAY.
NAME ANY SUBJECT HE WAS THERE BOTH IN DISCUSSION AND IN WRITING.
HE WAS FAMOUS FOR HIS OFF HAND COMPUTATION OF SIX DIGIT NOS. I WITHHOLD HIS NAME FOR PRIVACY PURPOSES.
HE MADE STRAIGHT A1S IN HIS SCHOOL CERT.
TO CUT THE LONG STORY SHORT. HE GRADUATED FROM U.I ON THE BORDER OF 2.1, WITH A 2.2.

MIND U, A GOOD SCHOOL TAKES INTO CONSIDERATION A NUMBA OF FACTORS FOR THE AWARD OF DEGREES. I WAS A BIT DISSAPOINTED ,COS HE WAS MY MENTOR BACK IN HIGH SCHOOL.
WE WERE LIKE, SHOULD I SAY BIRDS OF SAME INTEREST ONLY THAT HE DID NOT KNOW WHERE TO DRAW THE LINE. TOO INQUISITIVE
REASON? HE ALMOST LOST IT BY VENTURING INTO OTHER LITERATURE OUTSIDE HIS MAIN COURSE. EVERYTHING ELSE GOT BORING TO THIS GUY.
HE LEFT SCHOOL FOR A SMESTER AND RETURNED ON EXAM DAY. I SWEAR COS I WITNESSED IT.

LIKE THEY SAY, GENIUS OOZES OUT. U JUST CANT COVER IT 4 TOO LONG. THIS GUY DAZZLED HIS INTERVIEWERS AT A SCHLUM APTITUDE TEST. HIS PRESENTATION AT THE INTERVIEW WAS,,,,,WELL, UR GUESS IS AS GOOD AS MINE.
HE IS PRESENTLY WITH SHELL THOUGH. HE HAD CHOICES AT THE END OF THE DAY. [SORRY 4 GIVING U AWAY TO THOSE WHO CAN DECIPHER]. BUT THE HARD TRUTH IS THAT NOT EVERY ONE IS GIFTED AND IT WOULD BE FOOL HARDY TO DEPEND ON LUCK. IT'S BETTA TO WORK HARD.

MOST FIRST CLASS PRODUCTS ARE GOOD NO DOUBT. IVE NEVER MET A DULL ONE. I AM YET TO FIND ANYONE WHO CHEATED THERE WAY TO FIRST CLASS. AS FOR 2.1 OR 2.2. YES.

I MYSELF GRADUATED WITH A 2.1 VERY NARROW SHORT OF 1ST. LIKE EVERYTHING THERE WAS A REASON BUT ITS NOT AN XCUSE TO RUBBISH THE ACHIEVEMENTS OF THOSE WHO MADE IT. ALMOST, NEARLY CANNOT KILL A BIRD.

I RESPECT MY FIRST CLASS FRIENDS AND THEY RESPECT ME TOO. MY ADVICE TO THE 2.2 AND IS TO BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.
THE BIGGEST ROOM IN THE WORLD IS THE ROOM FOR SELF IMPROVEMENT.
FOCUS IS THE KEY. KNOW WHERE U COME FROM AND WHERE U INTEND TO GO. KEEP PUSHING THAT EXTRA EFFORT MAY GIVE THAT XTRA 0.1 POINT THAT WOULD MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

WHETHER U LIKE IT OR NOT U CANT WISH REALITY AWAY.
YOUR PAPER QUALIFICATION IS YOUR CREDENTIAL. ITS YOUR VISA TO THE LAND OF OPPORTUNITIES. U NEED THAT VISA TO PASS INTO THE LAND OF OPPORTUNITIES. WHETHER U SUCCEED IN THE LAND OF OPPORTUNITY IS ANOTHER DISCOURSE. BUT AT LEAST U NEED TO GET IN FIRST.

I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE.  undecided
CU LATER THERES WORK TO DO angry  grin grin
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by zebudaya(m): 7:02pm On Jun 30, 2006
Rotbog Typing in all capital letters is very hard for us to read.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by elsciraj(m): 2:28am On Jul 04, 2006
smiley quite a cool topic wit funny replies no doubt. well the truth is that there is a particular extent to which u wld get in school where by u make a decision eighter to get a 1st class or a pass degree. the whole decision is all yours and there should be no talk of i worked hard for a 2.2 cos if u really did then u did not work hard enough or are u saying  a 2.2 is the best of ur capability?
man another thing i really do know of and am sure of is that if ure not willing to sleep with a lecturer or do some other shit but work hard ur real degree is still urs no one can deprieve it from u no one at all so the common talk of "i got a 2.2 cos i didnt sleep with a lecturer is bullshit" cuz like we all say in my school "there is no first" implyin that quite as much can come out with a 2.1 or 1st class both thru hard work and trash work but as davidylan said the interviews wld differentiate them.
to my hommies n chics still in school dont let that common talk weigh u down. if ure good no one wld deprieve u ok.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Enkrate(m): 9:41pm On Sep 02, 2006
Corruption comes out in different ways, in as much as the facilities in naija don't /shouldn't even afford a 3rd class, students work extra hard, too hard, to even make those poor grades, true, some play around in universities, but the what about non-standardization of university scorings, little do u know, in a school like UNILAG, as playful as they say we are, the way some departments score is terrible, while those in other Lil universities come to nysc camp brandishing 2.1's, yet they cant even relate with you successfully academically i wonder what is up with naija, there is more to brains than 2.1 /2.2, more so geniuses aren't mostly comformist to what the lecturers can comprehend, thats why they are what they are, the average last OLODO, in naija would stun anyone in a u.k university or college, so its not the people most time its our recked system, and society.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by LanreDaMan(m): 1:45pm On Sep 03, 2006
Nairalanders,
My personal experience has taught me not to discriminate against anybody.
I am a secind class (lower division) of computer science but I would have you know that the codes of my program for my final year project was written and compiled by a Guy (Name witheld) and believe it or not , He graduated a year before me with a 3RD CLASS.
This guy is so gifted in programming he wrote a program for a PhD thesis for a Lecturer (Face Recognition Program).

I mean this guy doesn't have affinity to read Engineering maths or statistics or philosophy, but anthing programming he Just needs to see a flow chart.

So would you say that kind of person is dumb ?

We shouldn't look @ the paper value of our certificate but the intellectual value of the holder.

If Our local Organizations are really SERIOUS about looking for the BEST hands for Vacant positions (Especially Trainee) ,

Then they should

Increase Funding to the HR or to recruiting Agencies to Conduct Free and Fair Tests

And The graduate that has a Lower (HND/ B.SC) Pls develop yourself you can Take an I.T certification or any other certification in a field of your interest don't be forced or don't apply for a certification because of the money. Let Passion drive you and not Greed

All the best

Out
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by peterz(m): 2:34pm On Sep 03, 2006
hey guys
you have all spoken wisely,but must draw your attention
to the fact that alot of factors could be responsible for
2-2 graduates.
It is not as if we are not good enough but for
one factor or the other, we missed out of the much treasured
2-2.
Missing out is the first fall,it will be very unwise to fall again hence
the need to acquire more proffesional certification as loverbwoy
had asked earlier on.
The world looks out for distinguished degrees, and as such you
should strive to get more relevant degrees that will secure you
that dream job.as the saying goes:IT IS NOT HOW FAR BUT HOW
WELL.
Above all get practical,that is the only edge you would need to
get that dream job of yours
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Eluala(m): 10:46am On Sep 06, 2006
I've been reading most of the entries from you distinguished nairaland members with keen interest. the truth is that some of us Nigerians have become so used to seeing mediocrity rewarded, that they now consider hardwork and excellence obsolete virtues. i know some people who don't believe you can get a "blue chip" job except you sleep with the employer or have a godfather. i also know that most Nigerian chaps who made 1st class or 2.1 achieved that by working hard. i have a lot of respect for Nigerians. there are thousands of very intelligent and brilliant naija people out there.

another truth is that 90% of the time, a 1st class or 2.1 will prove to be better than a 2.2. i proved it to myself when i was looking for a job. i work for one of the big oil companies in ph. i took 4 aptitude tests for the following companies ; shell, chevron, schlumberger and nnpc. i went beyond the first stage for all but one of the companies and went ahead to get employment letter from 2 of the firms. i chose to work for one and dumped the other. one thing i observed was that all the time at each stage, i met the same group of guys and babes. i know a lot of people who had job offers from 2, 3 or even 4 big choice companies at a time. some guys even left companies like shell and schlum to pursue a further degree abroad while some went away on scholarship. yet this is the same Nigeria where there are no jobs.

the truth is if you make yourself marketable (even with a 2.2), you will get a good job. don't blame anybody for your 'misfortune', blame yourself and take a positive action to ameliorate the situation. go for a further degree, take a French or German language class, get CISCO or MICROSOFT certification, do something productive. to my friend who got a third class, i don't think you should be saying such things aloud. you need help and go for it. to be honest with you, with your attitude, even if u manage to put business together, you may never get the right kind of people to run it for you. the stars will surely shine on you thereafter.

eluala.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by aristocrat(m): 5:55pm On Nov 10, 2009
its only god can save nigerians from descriminations.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by AjanleKoko: 10:33am On Nov 13, 2009
LOL.
This complaint is just like a soccer team saying 'we played better yet they beat us. It's not fair that they should win, simply because they put the ball in the net and we didn't. We should share the points!'

Like davidylan said, you get what you deserve. It applies to everything in life.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Lolladey(f): 1:19pm On Dec 07, 2009
imagine, u are complaining u are complaining about the 2'2s, ve u ever seen an advert requesting for a third class, heard but i ve not seen any. God is the only supporter of any one who lacks a god father in our society.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by jeffman(m): 10:05pm On Jan 21, 2010
People should learn to be responsible for their misfortunes even if it was due to external circumstances. i personally felt bad when i knew i could not make a first class especially when i graduated and saw the likes of ericsson requiring a first class. I am the type who has an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and was using MIT notes and big textbooks to read for courses i should have just crammed my notes. Back then in school, the way to pass was to use the lecturers notes and "give him back as he gave you". The exception to this was the courses taught by professors in which i would always score top marks. But i looked at it another way. Was i results-oriented? No. I worked for knowledge not grades. I hardly attended classes and never had notes so who should i blame? should be ME of course. First Class guys deserve their grades and i should not be jealous of them and at the same time shouldn't look down on myself because i couldn't make a First Class. A time will come when u find out that all these grades don't matter but with the attitude i have seen in some of the previous posters fighting against discrimination of 2-2s, it will continue to matter to them.

discrimination is everywhere. HND versus BSC. 2-2 versus 2-1/1st class, 3rd Class versus 2-2, O levels versus graduate, state university versus federal university, Nigerian degrees versus Overseas degrees, Tech-Oriented courses versus Finance-oriented courses etc. Make what u can out of life. Do a masters degree. Write professional exams (hot ones o. no let them deceive u say NIM is hot ). The sky is our limit.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by Nobody: 10:46pm On Jan 21, 2010
Ok, firstly i didn't make a 2.1, came close though 3.37.
I only blame myself, i was kind of the groovy type.

I went for my MBA, did a couple of Cert and diploma courses.
Now, i can say i'm doing excellently well in my career.

I'm a HR person and meet these 1.1 and 2.1 candidates.
Some are really smart and some are really dull especially the girls.(Yet to meet a dull 1.1 candidate)
I've also met exceptionally brilliant 2.2 who should actually be 1.1 material.

Not all coys will ask for only 1.1 and 2.1.
If you made a 2.2 kindly improve on yourself to improve your chances.
HR emphasis is on the candidates abilities, the paper is just a yardstick for screening.
Re: Should 2'2s Go To Hell Because They Ain't 1st Class Or 2'1? by DisGuy: 12:07am On Jan 22, 2010
Back then in school, the way to pass was to use the lecturers notes and "give him back as he gave you".

ah this is where the HR managers coined the phrase - Half-baked graduats  wink

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Free Report On Cashew Nuts Trading / / How To Build Career In Law

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.