Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,408 members, 7,815,896 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i (10928 Views)

Ojerinde Speaks On Validity Of UTME Results For 3 Years / Confusion, Irregularities Greet 2015 UTME, As Exams Begin Monday / Would You Support The Remarking Of Utme Exam? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Tolexander: 3:24pm On Aug 29, 2013
The Minister of Education, Prof. Ruqayyatu Rufa’I, said on Thursday in Abuja that French would be part of the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) as from 2014 for interested candidates.

Rufa’I said this at farewell reception held in honour of the French Language Project Manager, Mr Jean-Phillipe Roy.

She said that being multi-lingual in the 21st Century was essential as it helps individuals to operate more effectively in the international community.

“For Nigeria, the study of French language is quite key, considering the fact that our neighbouring countries are French-speaking.

“Apart from the English Language, French Language is one of the major international languages, ‘’she said.

She said Roy came to Nigeria in 2009 under the 2nd Bilateral Agreement between Nigeria and French.

The minister noted that he had worked hard to ensure that various components of the project received due attention.

Rufa’I lauded his contributions to the reform of the UTME for 2014 in addition to the scholarships awarded to 16 teachers of French Language to study in France for one month.

She said the project manager’s contributions, included supply of books to schools, award of Masters Degree in French as a Foreign Language and supply of DVD and CD player to the project office, among others.

The minister lauded the support of the French Government to the Nigerian French Language Village, Badagry, Lagos, the Regional Network of French Language centres in Africa.

She also commended the Association of French Language Teachers, and noted s the proposed handing over of the project vehicle to the ministry for the monitoring of the teaching and learning of the Lanaguage.

“Nigeria and France have come a long way in their relationship. It is a relationship built on mutual respect, cooperation and interest.

“I wish to assure you that the ministry will continue to be committed to the teaching and learning of French Language in Nigeria and sustenance of the cordial relationship,’’ she said.

She called on the French Government to introduce similar programmes to complement, sustain and consolidate the achievements made so far.

Responding, Roy lauded the collaboration between the Federal Government and the French Government.

“Since I have been here, you have shown a lot of interest in what we have been trying to do in terms of decision-making in critical issues and, with your help, we have been able to keep the project on the right track.

He said that French Government had so far organised 160 training sessions in various parts of the country, adding that 4,290 people participated in the programme.

Roy called for continued collaboration between the Nigerian Government and the French Government.

In his remarks, the Counsellor of French Cultural Affairs, Mr Patrick Perez, stressed the need to sustain good relationship between the two countries.

“We will like to thank you for all your efforts to promote French Language in Nigeria and we hope that this collaboration will continue to grow from strength to strength, ‘’he said. (NAN)

orisun

1 Like

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Tolexander: 3:30pm On Aug 29, 2013
Nice adding french to it for the interested candidates.
But the students studying french language course of foreign languages, what have been the criteria for their admission into the department?

why can't they make our indigenous languages compulsory!

4 Likes

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by JohnFrankling(m): 3:56pm On Aug 29, 2013
I hope its optional
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Gboliwe: 4:21pm On Aug 29, 2013
To pass English is still wahala, na French dey want to start. Oya na.

8 Likes

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Nobody: 4:22pm On Aug 29, 2013
C'est une bonne nouvelles

4 Likes

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Olugbenger(m): 4:31pm On Aug 29, 2013
they complained we are losing our values and cultures.
Yet it remains part of their undoing.
this is a very useless development.

whats stopping them from introducing the indigenous languages now?

1 Like

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by gr8man: 6:43pm On Aug 29, 2013
The truth about Nigerian husbands busted:
www.nairaland.com/1414969/awkward-truth-naija-husbands
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Yeske2(m): 9:45pm On Aug 29, 2013
REHOZIBAH: C'est une bonne nouvelles
Oui mon ami, très bonne nouvelle absolutement.

3 Likes

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Nobody: 12:32am On Aug 30, 2013
Yeske!:

Voila!

3 Likes

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by musiwa1f: 12:45am On Aug 30, 2013
cheesy
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by wrench: 10:34am On Aug 30, 2013
Bonjour
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 30, 2013
What effort have they made to ensure that qualified French teachers are found in schools. Paying lip service is the trademark of Nigerian ministers and their Ogas
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Nobody: 10:34am On Aug 30, 2013
English still poses a big problem to majorities of students,now you are introducing French,all these people with policy somersault..i believe it shouldnt be compulsory,but elective.

by the way,you cant teach an old dog,a new trick.why cant we promote our indigenous language in the said exam.
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by slap1(m): 10:36am On Aug 30, 2013
So many silly, ill-thought ideas hovering all over the place. I do hope it's optional.
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by kennyonthrone(m): 10:37am On Aug 30, 2013
R
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by PuffyT1(m): 10:38am On Aug 30, 2013
ASUU matter dey there o....which way nigeria

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by joywendy(f): 10:40am On Aug 30, 2013
Yeske!:
tres bien smiley
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by kennyonthrone(m): 10:41am On Aug 30, 2013
Is aa welcome devpt kudos 2 una
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by ajasa4link: 10:41am On Aug 30, 2013
when we still have people scoring 35 out of 100 in use of English, Shey Na French dem no go fail?...Na wa o. end time tinz

5 Likes

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Nobody: 10:42am On Aug 30, 2013
Good development. . . At least it's better than the Chinese Language that Fashola formulated for the primary school curriculum. . . Clueless guy. Adding Chinese to Primary school curriculum when we're sorrounded buy Francophone countries. . . That Fashola & his commissioner for education guy sef ehn . . . they are learners cheesy

1 Like

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by abfan(m): 10:43am On Aug 30, 2013
instead of dealing with the present ASUU situation,....
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Nobody: 10:43am On Aug 30, 2013
To a large extent, this woman is to blame or apportion large part of the blame to for the ASUU strike.
Whatever happens to the saying "continuity in government".

If I were her, upon assumption of office, I'd look into some impending/looming preventable issues and device means of stopping them from happening. For christ sake, what happens to borrowing ideas from other countries who have been running smooth academic sessions without issues of strikes? Someone who is ready to work will have to anticipate some issues and deal with them afore-time. Making a difference is what makes one excellent at the end of the day. If I were her, I will do whatever it takes or come up with ideas on how to prevent strikes from taking place during my tenure as an education minister and I will marvel and excel in that glory with pride.

To me, she's confused.

2 Likes

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by bknight: 10:43am On Aug 30, 2013
This is probably d 1st & only thread I'd comment on without reading thru. The thread title alone is turning my stomach

My people, who will deliver africa?! undecided angry sad

1 Like

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Nobody: 10:44am On Aug 30, 2013

1 Like

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Tholudee(f): 10:44am On Aug 30, 2013
At this timeI'm begining to hate this woman
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by kevoh(m): 10:44am On Aug 30, 2013
Oya, let the show off by Nigerian French speakers begin tongue, we have about three people on the first page already! undecided
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Kslib(m): 10:51am On Aug 30, 2013
La haba!!!
La Nigeriana la people neva la learn tu speak la indigenous la language la finish and tu people wan includo la francias for la jamb tu next year?
Tu misnister la confused walahi..
La students la writing french nxt year de jamb la confused also..
Inshorte,la Nigeria la people la confused..
Everything,la confuscado...
*La shake la my head*

La All la well!

27 Likes

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Damseluc(f): 10:55am On Aug 30, 2013
And I hope those French countries would also learn our own languages. Mcteeeew INFERIORITY COMPLEX. Your house(ASUU) is on fire(strike) and you are busy chasing rats(french language)

5 Likes

Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Nobody: 10:56am On Aug 30, 2013
Talking about misplaced priorities.
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by Nobody: 10:56am On Aug 30, 2013
I wrote french in jamb in 2007; abi no be jamb turn out to be utme?

1 Like

cerebien aux ellatre...

END TIME TINX...

me no knw d meaning of wetin i writevooo
Re: French To Be Part Of Utme As From 2014 – Ruqayyatu Rufa’i by SELENAqueensy(f): 10:56am On Aug 30, 2013
FRENCH?!!!
dnt knw if itz only me, but hv always hated dis course/subject ryt 4rm tym..

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kalu Tells Ikpeazu To Handover Abia College Of Education To FG / Federal Polytechnic Ede ,part-time,post-utme And Hnd Scrach Card IS Still On. / 5 Reasons Candidates May Not Score High In 2018 UTME

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.