Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,066 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:45 AM

100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years (38919 Views)

Forex Speculators From Benin Republic, Ghana, Others Invade Nigeria For Profits / Chadians, Ghanaians, Others Storm Nigeria For Dollars-the Nation / Products That Can Be Imported Into Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by DoffMan2: 4:28pm On Sep 01, 2013
Nmeri17: I hope i'm posting in the appropriate section because i really need help very urgently.

Someone came to the business center this morning and said he wanted us to search the internet for something and that he will collect it by 2pm this afternoon.

He paid a huge sum of money to show seriousness before leaving.

The thing we're to search for is: "100 products that have stayed in Nigeria for 100years".

I have exchanged the keywords with every single synonym in my head and searched google all to no avail.

Please anyone with knowledge of a site i can get help from will be appreciated.

Even 50 products ma sef is okay.

Biko i'm desperate

- cabin biscuits
- queen of the coast sardines
- lucozade
- egovin
- bata
- Trebor
- Benson & hedges
- Gordon's gin
- white horse bicycle
- berec battery
- Ovaltine
- Philips
-
-
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by cycline404(m): 4:30pm On Sep 01, 2013
KIWI POLISH.
NIGERIAN PRISON SINCE 1901
MTN
GLO
VODACOM
VMOBILE

UNCLE BEN RICE
I TRY NOW... @LEAST KIWI POLISH
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by cycline404(m): 4:32pm On Sep 01, 2013
ddeola: FIRST BANK

NO BE EVERYONE GO SCH SHA.. FIRST BANK PRODUCT?

1 Like

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by usbcable(m): 4:38pm On Sep 01, 2013
PalmTree:

Barclays Bank is what is now Union Bank and not First Bank. First Bank has never changed its name.

they changed name a couple of times see wikipedia for more info (snapshot shown below).

@OP btw, First bank is not a product ooo so dont add it to the list.

1 Like

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by femialiu(m): 4:42pm On Sep 01, 2013
don't know of products but UAC and PZ Cussons are two business that are older than Nigeria...their products av changed over the years so it may be impossible for you to see products that has lasted 100 years.. however some of their very old products include canoe soap, swan water, president paint, Stella pomade, elephant detergent, tempo, coast milk, duck bar soap, joy, imperial leather...check their website for more.... I hope I've helped a bit

2 Likes

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by Ferdinandu(m): 4:53pm On Sep 01, 2013
This should definitely be in the joke section because this is more like a brain teaser Nigeria is not upto 100 yrs and secondly even if Pre Nigeria era is included i can bet with everything i have that you can't find upto 10 products that has the same brand name that is still currently existing and have stayed upto 100yrs even in the whole of Africa.
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by pobosky20(m): 4:56pm On Sep 01, 2013
Yamaha generator, ijebu garri,kuli kuli,etc
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by femialiu(m): 4:58pm On Sep 01, 2013
@OP, I think what you need is to think outside the box.... the guy asked you to look for products not brands... so water is a product, Eva is a brand... so to make your search easy... just tell him things like water, rice, garri, palm wine, palm oil, ground nut oil, poultry egg, chicken, corn, fish. e.t.c. these are products that has lasted over 200 years

1 Like

Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by opeyekan: 5:29pm On Sep 01, 2013
Alabukun and Agilomoto. dat's wat i got
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by fujirice: 5:52pm On Sep 01, 2013
naijacutee:

Great observation! I thought UBA was quite an old bank as well?
Union bank actually
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by chris365(m): 6:14pm On Sep 01, 2013
Tiger generator grin
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by Gbade60: 6:42pm On Sep 01, 2013
naijacutee:

Top post, well done! I've just looked at their history and it says they have been in Nigeria since 1890! FMCL stands for Far East Mercantile, and they also distribute Similac, Ovaltine, Geisha, Peak milk and Nan. Here's a link to their history: http://www.fareastmercantile.com/about_fmcl
u dey work for google company?
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by smyle24(m): 6:47pm On Sep 01, 2013
Peak, milo, ovaltine, nasco cornflakes, horlicks, cabin biscuit, cowbell, st louis sugar, choco milo, eclairs sweet, lahda milkPeak, milo, ovaltine, nasco cornflakes, horlicks, cabin biscuit, cowbell, st louis sugar, choco milo, eclairs sweet, lahda milkPeak, milo, ovaltine, nasco cornflakes, horlicks, cabin biscuit, cowbell, st louis sugar, choco milo, eclairs sweet, lahda milk
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by banky222: 7:17pm On Sep 01, 2013
coca cola; tiger battery,
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by lolaxavier(m): 7:24pm On Sep 01, 2013
Make I dash u one:

human stupidity tongue
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by HAH: 7:43pm On Sep 01, 2013
PalmTree:

Barclays Bank is what is now Union Bank and not First Bank. First Bank has never changed its name.

Correction , first bank also changed name infact they became first bank in 1976 or so, it started as standard bank of west africa then after independence it became standard bank then first bank
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by anonimi: 7:54pm On Sep 01, 2013
How many people think the poster and/or the client whom he CLAIMS gave him N=500 need the information for some money-making project linked to next years 100 years anniversary of Nigeria's amalgamation
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by dohiswill: 8:01pm On Sep 01, 2013
Hey what of
Wara fulani (local chess),
Fura de nunu
Local single barrel din gun (shakabula!)
Local drums eg gangan
Charcoal.
Osee dudu (black soap)
Palm oil (epo pupa).
Clay pots.
Odo (a carved wood for grinding. Eg Pounded yam).
Fulani's bow and arrow (they still use it).
Takute (hunting trap, the black smith type).
Shea butter
Hide and skin and edible "punmo".
Palm kernel oil
etc jare.
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by onyeoziri(m): 8:01pm On Sep 01, 2013
Wow akara or beans cake and slippers
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by TayoT: 8:02pm On Sep 01, 2013
SEYI_KP: GUINNESS, TIGER/NAZER BLADE, COKE, TOYOTA, VOLKSWAGEGEN, BLUE BAND MAGRINE, MACLEAN, PHENSIC(DRUG), MICHELIN TYRE, THIS WHITE BULB(NO NAME), BALL, SMC(FAN), LUX&JOY SOAP,

None of these brands were in Nigeria 100 yrs ago. Only guiness existed and was not in Nigeria.
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by dohiswill: 8:10pm On Sep 01, 2013
Local lantern (they use shea butter to fuel it then now they use kerosine, you will find it in night markets called "oja ale" thou the making has change, the mechanism is the same
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by surveycash(m): 8:17pm On Sep 01, 2013
naijacutee:

This is Nigerian Politican behaviour on a small scale. Someone said if you remove 100 politicians and replace with 100 random Nigerians, Nigeria will still remain the same. People complain that it's the people at the top, when we (Nigerians) are the problem. Someone gets a contract to build roads and the default attitude is "What's in it for me?". Someone asks a question on a forum and the default attitude is "What's in it for me[color=#006600]?". Nigerians have no right to insult politicians because they would do exactly the same in their position, as they share exactly the same thinking. Better to say nothing.

Back to the question: Lever Brothers (Now Unilever ) are a pretty old brand in Nigeria, but I don't think their products have been around for 100 years, as the British started bringing these companies in a few years after amalgamation, 99 years ago.

Old brands in Nigeria (at least 50 years old) are ones like Blue Band, Lux, Star beer, Bata, Leventis, Bic. I'll put some more down if I remember. [/color]

Madam? Have you heard of "Time is money" or "The secret to success I know none but the road to failure is trying to please everyone". If you have the time to attend to all here, knock yourself out ma'am.

Before you attack people, study them.
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by coastalqueen: 8:25pm On Sep 01, 2013
SEYI_KP: GUINNESS, TIGER/NAZER BLADE, COKE, TOYOTA, VOLKSWAGEGEN, BLUE BAND MAGRINE, MACLEAN, PHENSIC(DRUG), MICHELIN TYRE, THIS WHITE BULB(NO NAME), BALL, SMC(FAN), LUX&JOY SOAP,
alabukun,I don't know how long its been,but that thing has existed since I was a child and it has refused to go away. Also,sprint chewing gumokin biscuit,canoe soapn saturday night powder
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by drdams: 8:29pm On Sep 01, 2013
Olodo, Nigeria would be 100 by nxt year.
Av u 4gotten 1914 so soon?
All u rem is 1960..
Nigeria gained independence 1960 simply means Nigeria was existing b4 1960 bt controlled by sm pple.
surveycash:
1. You are not desperate.
Reason - You have not offered any money for the service even though you have charged hugely for it

2. You are not serious (no disrespect intended).
Reason - Nigeria is 53 years old.

But if you are serious and desperate, I will give you a list of 100 companies that have existed for the past 100 years. You can then figure out the products.
Fee: N25, 000 only.

Are you serious & desperate? I guess as much. angry
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by trolling(m): 8:31pm On Sep 01, 2013
jp philips:

the poster said it himself dat he is getting paid, that entitles whoever that answers the right to get paid, it is called buisness if you have forgotten,
the poster is not asking to learn rather he is asking to get paid so what's the fuss? Every laborer deserves a wage so says the good book.
Even in our institutions of learning, we pay for their services, the thing with people like you is that you think charity is an obligation, dats wrong, nobody owes nobody sh1t.
Comparing this scenario with Nigerian politicians proves how disconnected you are with the realities on ground.

It cost money to get info and if one is not a charity organisation, commonsense behooves he earns from it. If you decide to give out your for free then thats your problem.
Even Bible talk say make we no muzzle the cow that treads the field
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by Nobody: 8:37pm On Sep 01, 2013
Nmeri17: Hahaha...When i said hugely i meant N500 o.Maybe u should never mind. I'll just refund him when he comes back this morning
how can you come out of poverty with this mindset?
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by dgysoft(m): 8:43pm On Sep 01, 2013
1. Akamu 2. Garri 3. Agidi 4. Abacha 4. Salt 5. Grinding stone 6. Tripod cooking stand ekwu igwe 7. Ogwu iba (dogoyaro) 8. Snuf 9. Gbogbo nise 10. Ude aki palm kernel oil 11. Etc
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by CoenzymeA: 9:18pm On Sep 01, 2013
Feuerhand Lantern, Damask, Maggi, Michelin tire, Benson and Hedges, Seaman's schnapps, Three dice matches.
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by Solozzo(m): 9:28pm On Sep 01, 2013
Palm oil, rubber, groundnuts, cocoa, pepper
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by kcspark: 9:39pm On Sep 01, 2013
Gold circle, ashawo, and armed robbers
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by Seequadry(m): 9:39pm On Sep 01, 2013
Ose dudu (black traditional soap) grin
Re: 100 Products That Have Stayed In Nigeria For 100 Years by olasquare: 9:40pm On Sep 01, 2013
U guyz 4got this product has been around for 100 years: pomo kika, baba dudu, kolanut, bitter-kola, cerelac, pepsodent, palm-olive soap, agbo-jedi, balewa, ekanna gowon, ewedu, apu, etc

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

CBN Halts Branch Operations By Bureaux De Change #Emefieleconomics / Tony Elumelu Hails Dangote As They Meet In Abuja (Photos) / Fatgbems Fuel Station In Abeokuta Dispenses Water To Motorists Instead Of Petrol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.