Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,136 members, 7,814,976 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:24 AM

It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship (2129 Views)

It’s Wrong For Jonathan To Summon Electoral Umpire, Jega At Will – APC / Group Offers Stowaway Teenager A Scholarship / DSS Questions Mother Of Stowaway Teenager (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by Serendipity: 8:56am On Sep 01, 2013
dacrystal01:

Stop being sentimental. Those two analogy do not corellate with each other. A child that throws sachet water at a convoy of the presidency has comitted a crime. He has purpoted in his heart to hurt. It is a sheer act of wickedness.

In this case, Daniel is only fulfilling his adventure. He wasn't caught with any ammunitions. He didn't hurt anybody. He didn't pose any threat to the passengers of the plane, in fact, they never knew he was aboard. See the difference yet
Please, what if he had died?
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by KAYD007(m): 9:36am On Sep 01, 2013
Serendipity:

I guess the group would have asked that he is buried as a national hero! undecided
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by JuanDeDios: 11:09am On Sep 01, 2013
Nigerians getting all emotional as usual! Our inability or unwillingness to think critically will keep us down. What has Daniel done that is worthy of emulation? Nearly getting himself killed? He's not even smart - at half his age I knew you don't fly from Benin to America. Yeah, send the dolt to Sandhurst and let his mother be proud of him.
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by Serendipity: 11:31am On Sep 01, 2013
KAYD007:

I guess the group would have asked that he is buried as a national hero! undecided
Sarcastic and asinine
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by Serendipity: 11:33am On Sep 01, 2013
Juan_De_Dios: Nigerians getting all emotional as usual! Our inability or unwillingness to think critically will keep us down. What has Daniel done that is worthy of emulation? Nearly getting himself killed? He's not even smart - at half his age I knew you don't fly from Benin to America. Yeah, send the dolt to Sandhurst and let his mother be proud of him.
I'm stocked that you caught my drift.
We always attach sentiments and emotions to issues.
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by osadhordy(m): 12:36pm On Sep 01, 2013
Yeah thats true he's not suppose to be given a scholarship because what he did is a criminal act also a murder case for risking his life and the 157 passanger.
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by teeawaii(f): 12:53pm On Sep 01, 2013
Excellent7: I feel the same way as the OP
We should be careful about the signals we send by our actions especially in issues like this involving impressionable young people.
Is the action the little boy took commendable? Answer is No!
Is it worthy of emulation? Answer is No!!
Will it be good if other young kids do same? Answer is No!!!
To me it seems bad behaviour is being rewarded instead of being reprimanded. I am a bit confused with this scenario as I was taught to reward good behaviour and punish bad behaviour.
In saner climes a lot of people will be in deep trouble for this act of truancy and dereliction of duty, even the guys parent or guardians.
Well,i agree totally wid all d points listed.Bt i wld say dis is a case of appreciatin dis child while he still has life,cos he wld hv died in d process. Moreover we re entitled to second chances,he goin 2skool wld help groom him into a better person and become useful to d society¤
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by Serendipity: 1:48pm On Sep 01, 2013
osadhordy: Yeah thats true he's not suppose to be given a scholarship because what he did is a criminal act also a murder case for risking his life and the 157 passanger.
Not necessarily a crime
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by dacrystal01(m): 3:25pm On Sep 01, 2013
Serendipity:

Don't get me wrong friend. I'm not saying what he did was right. I am simply against anyone who says he shouldn't av been given a scholarship. Training him to the univerity level will ensure close monitoring. Terrorists and suicide bombers will easily want him for this daring act. He's the kind of pple they want. But one way to ensure that never happens is what they have done by awarding him a schorlaship
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by osadhordy(m): 4:38pm On Sep 01, 2013
Serendipity:
Not necessarily a crime
then what is it plz?
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by Serendipity: 8:18pm On Sep 01, 2013
osadhordy: then what is it plz?
By virtue of Section 36 sub 12 of the constitution, one caanot be punished for anything not written down as a crime.
So I don't think that what the guy did is stated as punishable anywhere. Or do ypu get punished for licking orange in public even though some people my view that as ungentlemanly and improper?
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by Serendipity: 11:06pm On Sep 02, 2013
When I said that this scholarship will send wrong signals some were refuting it.
=
Now the arrest of another stowaway boy has confirmed my prognosis

www.nairaland.com/1422698/another-stowaway-boy-arrested-benin
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by OmniSparrow: 5:24am On Sep 03, 2013
dacrystal01:

Stop being sentimental. Those two analogy do not corellate with each other. A child that throws sachet water at a convoy of the presidency has comitted a crime. He has purpoted in his heart to hurt. It is a sheer act of wickedness.

In this case, Daniel is only fulfilling his adventure. He wasn't caught with any ammunitions. He didn't hurt anybody. He didn't pose any threat to the passengers of the plane, in fact, they never knew he was aboard. See the difference yet
There are immigration laws u know. Breaking any is akin to committing a crime. Try and know.
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by Gudintent: 5:45am On Sep 03, 2013
You don't get anywhere in life by folding your arms.

This boy took a step to change his destiny, now I don't condone stowaway be it a child or an adult and yes he could have lost his life.

But something good came out of this for him. That is not encouraging another child to do such, but I believe the lesson to be learnt here is to take chances in life....and no I don't recommend what he did, it will not work for everyone.

Que Sera, sera ~ whatever would be will be.

I wish him well and hope to read a lot more about his achievements in years to come.
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by Nobody: 11:30am On Sep 03, 2013
Serendipity: When I said that this scholarship will send wrong signals some were refuting it.
=
Now the arrest of another stowaway boy has confirmed my prognosis

www.nairaland.com/1422698/another-stowaway-boy-arrested-benin

OP, get a life and stop sniffin around for stowaway kids, u are not an e-canine or sniffer are u?
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by Serendipity: 7:35pm On Sep 03, 2013
lrguru:

OP, get a life and stop sniffin around for stowaway kids, u are not an e-canine or sniffer are u?
Unregenerate quidnuc
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by Nobody: 7:59pm On Sep 03, 2013
OP ...I am totally in sync with you on this...

I raised the same sentiment when the matter broke out...

You simply don't reward negative behavior and truancy.

And I wonder what some people mean by courage...when actually the boy was totally oblivious of the dangers and risk he was exposing himself into.

You can only talk about courage if only the boy can analyze his actions and potential consequences...which obviously he couldn't.

In sane clime...some people will be answering some serious questions now..including the parents and those at the airport in Benin.

1 Like

Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by 4Play(m): 8:33pm On Sep 03, 2013
It's true that the award of scholarship seems, as a matter of principle, to reward bad behaviour. However, one has to note that at that kid's age, he should be entitled to free education. Certainly, he will be so entitled in civilised countries. Therefore, giving a kid what should be his natural right, free education, should not be seen as a reward but a restoration of his entitlement which he has been robbed of by a thieving political class whose rapaciousness has negatively impacted that kid and rendered him desperate to flee the country.

At a time ASUU are demanding 87bn Naira in additional allowances and PDP governors are requesting that they should not be investigated by EFCC, the fact that a kid has been given an opportunity to develop himself should not be seen as a wasteful gift.
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by deeptesting(m): 9:36pm On Sep 03, 2013
Serendipity:
What do you mean by courage? Would you extol a boy that slaps your dad because he has got courage to do so?

The fact is the young Lad made that decision out of stupidity, considering his level of exposure and education....The consequences of not educating him would not only be greater and grave but would be a disfavor to humanity.....
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by Serendipity: 5:30am On Sep 04, 2013
ilugunboy: OP ...I am totally in sync with you on this...

I raised the same sentiment when the matter broke out...

You simply don't reward negative behavior and truancy.

And I wonder what some people mean by courage...when actually the boy was totally oblivious of the dangers and risk he was exposing himself into.

You can only talk about courage if only the boy can analyze his actions and potential consequences...which obviously he couldn't.

In sane clime...some people will be answering some serious questions now..including the parents and those at the airport in Benin.
WORD!
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by Serendipity: 10:33pm On Sep 06, 2013
Serendipity: I was stupefied upon learning that the Arik Airline stowaway, Daniel Oikhena had been offered scholarship by a group in Osun State.
=
The idea of offering a scholarship to such a lad is unacceptable and grim, as this might serve as a catalyst for other teenagers to engage in such unguided acts.
-
The group that gave the scholarship has just exhibited crass insensitivity to what it means to be socially responsible.
-
It would have been a different kettle of fish if the scholarship had been by an individual and bereft of publicity.

-
Why should he be offered a scholarship?
How many indigent, obedient and intelligent students has this smug group offered scholarship?
-
The group are unwittingly brooking and abetting truancy and recalcitrancy.

=
I opine that the lad should have been reunited with the family and probably helped to know what incited him to engage in such a fatal act. (HE could have died). Equally the security personnel on duty should also be sacked for dereliction of duty.

=
www.lindaikeji..com/2013/08/teenage-stowaway-daniel-oikhena-offered.html?showComment=1377798401409&m=1
Re: It Was Wrong For The Arik Airline Stowaway Lad To Have Been Offered Scholarship by Serendipity: 12:10am On Sep 14, 2013
Edo state just awarded him scholarship. Our leaders are just clueless.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Gov. Isa Yuguda(Years of Fulfilling Promises)!!! Bauchi-Pearl of Tourism / 2015: I Will Run – Jonathan / # BREAKING : Presidency Withdraws #tambuwal 's # Security Details

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.