Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,239 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:30 AM

Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? (2831 Views)

The Most Respected & Honoured Man In Nigeria Currently / Nominate Your Worst Politician Of The Past 5 Decade / Who Are Your 5 Most Respected Nigerians ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by myners007: 8:00am On Aug 31, 2013
I strongly believe that Chief Obafemi Awolowo was Nigeria most enlightened and progressive politician. His developmental vision is second to none. The western region that he governed was the most developed in terms of infrastructure and welfare package. Check OAU that he established over 50 yrs ago still remains nigeria's best university today let me know who do you think has acheived more than Chief Awolowo who also introduce free education in the then western region?.
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by Nobody: 8:34am On Aug 31, 2013
Ojukwu 'as a' politician and GEJ for transforming d almost untransformable Nigeria. The journey just begun.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by Orjioorji(f): 8:43am On Aug 31, 2013
[quote
author=Dike Chimezie]Ojukwu 'as a' politician and GEJ for transforming d
almost untransformable Nigeria. The journey just begun.[/quote] +1
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by myners007: 8:57am On Aug 31, 2013
Dike Chimezie: Ojukwu 'as a' politician and GEJ for transforming d almost untransformable Nigeria. The journey just begun.
pls be sincere . how can jonathan n ojukwu be compared to awolowo? Awo established the first television station in west african,the first flooded light stadium, what visionary project did either ojukwu or gej has carried out so far?

7 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by tyson99(m): 8:58am On Aug 31, 2013
Chief obafemi awolowo

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by Nobody: 9:02am On Aug 31, 2013
Able gentleman Dr Alex Ekwueme!

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by Nobody: 9:02am On Aug 31, 2013
myners007 :
pls be sincere . how can jonathan n ojukwu be compared to awolowo? Awo established the first television station in west african,the first flooded light stadium, what visionary project did either ojukwu or gej has carried out so far?

You asked a question,allow people to air their views naa.

I ll give it to Dr Nnamdi azikiwe,the most detribalised nigerian politician ever

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by Nobody: 9:03am On Aug 31, 2013
myners007 :

Ojukwu fought against genocide which your hero awolowo was part of.That alone is a very great achievement

I ll give it to Dr Nnamdi azikiwe,the most detribalised nigerian politician ever

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by UyiIredia(m): 9:45am On Aug 31, 2013
Funny enough I'll pick Awolowo. There might be others I'm missing. Ojukwu I respect and agree with some of his views but I'll pick Awo over him.
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by egift(m): 9:54am On Aug 31, 2013
Truth be told, in Nigeria it is a slot with more than one name unless you are tribalistic.
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by yunglykmine(m): 10:11am On Aug 31, 2013
Chief Olusegun Obasanjo

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by tatosh: 10:48am On Aug 31, 2013
Jagarban
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by qmd24(m): 11:01am On Aug 31, 2013
OBJ - Baba Iyabo.
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by mubalex50(m): 11:10am On Aug 31, 2013
Funny enough, Obasanjo ke? Nawao 4u, ojukwu nba. Let leave sentiment aside, Awo is nigeria greatest politician
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by juman(m): 11:15am On Aug 31, 2013
Chief Obafemi Awolowo
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by adim2(m): 11:24am On Aug 31, 2013
Awo for me is a no no. Nnamdi is a no no for me. Aside sentiment, i will give it to Amino Kano any day any time.
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by ShineIt: 12:16pm On Aug 31, 2013
If Awo was greatest Nigeria politician how come he didn't win the presidency? Awo is only respected in his SW enclave, he did not win anywhere in the north or east so how can he be a national hero. Local champ Yes national hero No.

4 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by Mylove55(f): 12:34pm On Aug 31, 2013
My best frm each region.Azik,Awo,Ambrose Ali,and Buhari.
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by DerideGull(m): 12:39pm On Aug 31, 2013
myners007 :
I strongly believe that Chief Obafemi Awolowo was Nigeria most enlightened and progressive politician. His developmental vision is second to none. The western region that he governed was the most developed in terms of infrastructure and welfare package. Check OAU that he established over 50 yrs ago still remains nigeria's best university today let me know who do you think has acheived more than Chief Awolowo who also introduce free education in the then western region?.

The above poster is the major embodiment of Africa’s problem. What makes Awolowo the most enlightened and progressive politician in Nigeria? How could you measure the instances of free education in western region as compared with other regions where people are meant to understand the value of education? Besides money from government or through the domain of government, what did Awolowo achieve?

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Aug 31, 2013
DerideGull:

The above poster is the major embodiment of Africa’s problem. What makes Awolowo the most enlightened and progressive politician in Nigeria? How could you measure the instances of free education in western region as compared with other regions where people are meant to understand the value of education? Besides money from government or through the domain of government, what did Awolowo achieve?

How about his many first in Africa achievements? TV, Stadium , education and many more?

He was not only the greatest in Nigeria but one of the greatest to walk the face of Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by Nobody: 12:55pm On Aug 31, 2013
Shine It: If Awo was greatest Nigeria politician how come he didn't win the presidency? Awo is only respected in his SW enclave, he did not win anywhere in the north or east so how can he be a national hero. Local champ Yes national hero No.

Nigerians are not known to choose the best amongst them, are they? Ethnic and religious parochialism will make sure it never happens.
They are only good at giving stupid eulogies like "the best president Nigeria never had".
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by nduchucks: 1:06pm On Aug 31, 2013
(1)Sir Ahmadu Bello- Sardauna of Sokoto (Gamji)

tied for 2nd place in my heart

(2)The one and only Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu who was crowned king as the first Eze Igbo Gburugburu.

(2)Awo

1 Like

Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by DerideGull(m): 1:19pm On Aug 31, 2013
Aigbofa:

How about his many first in Africa achievements? TV, Stadium , education and many more?

He was not only the greatest in Nigeria but one of the greatest to walk the face of Africa.

I fundamentally detest the ideas of cheat beating and arrogation of emptiness commonly seen among certain people in Nigeria. There was western regional government of Nigeria and so was Awolowo.
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by bloggernaija: 2:00pm On Aug 31, 2013
There is only one constant in nigerian politics
AWOLOWO.
Even your constitution is a bastardise version of the one he proposed.
He knew every single ethnic nationality and their culture .
He foresaw all the problems that is associated with nigeria and the struggle for control at the centre.
HE WAS LOVED BY HIS LOVED AND RESPECTED BY HIS ADMIRERS AND HATED IN EQUAL MEASURE BY HIS ADVERSARIES.
HE WAS PRINCIPLED ,APPROACHABLE AND CARING BUT CAN BE EQUALLY RUTHLESS WHEN CROSSED.
ALL THE HALLMARK OF A GREAT LEADER.
BUT HIS VOICE WAS IGNORED BY THE ELITE IN THEIR SCRAMBLE FOR THE NATION'S WEALTH.
IMAGINE IN A STATE LIKE BENUE HAVING TIV STATE AND AN IDOMA STATE.IBIOBIO STATE ,ANANG STATE ETC ALL SELF GOVERNING UNIT RELYING ON THEIR OWN RESOURCES WITHIN A BENUE REGION ,CALABAR REGION
WOULD NIGERIA NOT BE MORE STABLE UNDER THOSE CONDITIONS?

6 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by seanet02: 2:02pm On Aug 31, 2013
DerideGull:

you will not stop hating
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Aug 31, 2013
Muhammadu Buhari

Odimegwu Ojukwu

Obafemi Awolowo

2 Likes

Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by DerideGull(m): 2:13pm On Aug 31, 2013
seanet02: you will not stop hating

The act of arrogation of truth as hatred is very common with you, olodo.
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by kunlekunle: 2:18pm On Aug 31, 2013
chukwudi44:

that kicked ita out of office in the eastern region for none iboish
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by seanet02: 2:29pm On Aug 31, 2013
DerideGull:

The act of arrogation of truth as hatred is very common with you, olodo.
where is the truth there? Igbo
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by cKaiser: 2:32pm On Aug 31, 2013
Listening to his recent tapes I think I would give it to

Aare Ladoke Akintola

He really saw the future and the hearts of men
Re: Who Is Your Most Respected Nigerian Politician Of All Time? by drdams: 2:38pm On Aug 31, 2013
U said respected bar? Not popular..

By virtue of such qualification, I give it to Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo.

Av bin to almost all geopolitical zones in Naija and a large percentage do give credence to his charima and works though his shortcomings were highlighted.

Awo, Ladoke, Sarduana n ko smtimes r seen as tribal.

Dnt mention any1 during our tym o!! Cos most of dem are nt respected.. Nt an inch!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

A World Foremost Economist Calls President Jonathan a 'JOKE' / Daniel Debunks Rumours Of Planned Defectionto SDP, Says ‘I Remain In PDP’ / Breaking News: WAEC Says It "Can't Find" Buhari's Academic Records

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.