Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,149 members, 7,818,453 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:12 PM

Edo Tradition - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Edo Tradition (3361 Views)

Only The Ooni Of Ife Can Inherit The Late Ooni’s Widows Says Tradition(pictures) / Corporal Punishment: A Significant Part Of The African Tradition? / Do African People Even Care About Tradition, Culture, Language And Heritage Stil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Edo Tradition by pslm23(f): 12:09pm On Aug 31, 2013
Please can someone tell me something about the Edo culture especially their marriage process.

i have a friend who was engaged to an Edo man. he did the introduction but after a couple of years they broke up. They've been broken up now for 2 and half years, he has come into a lot of oil money and is doing well and engaged but my friend is now insisting they were married by virtue of the introduction and that he must take her back and recognise her as his first wife. I have done all i can to make her see reason but she's adamant. So please, is introduction the same as marriage in Edo land?
Re: Edo Tradition by Babyremmy(f): 12:19pm On Aug 31, 2013
Im an Edo girl and i can confidently tell u its not d same thing. pls tel ur friend to wake up and stop disgracin edo people

3 Likes

Re: Edo Tradition by Nobody: 1:01am On Sep 11, 2013
Mbaa, she is not married to him by virtue of the introduction they had, no wayyyyyyy.

Its only if she had court wedding she can back up with the court certificate, aside that, let her forget it and carry on, pray for another oil dude to catch up with her, tell her to leave her ex and his money.
Re: Edo Tradition by KoloOyinbo(m): 5:12pm On Oct 18, 2013
Hi everybody. I am an oyinbo who is engaged to an Edo girl from Fugar. I am trying to get information on the traditional wedding I want to do with her in the next 1-2 years.

I know I must bring Palm wine and Kola nuts to her elder brother at the Introduction. Also that she will wear the Crown of coral beads.

What else can anyone PLEASE tell me. Also any photographs would be welcome.

Many thanks.

John (Ayo, Preye, Emeka) Kolo (but not mu mu) Oyinbo!
Re: Edo Tradition by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:04pm On Jan 07, 2014
^stop trying to imitate us.

1 Like

Re: Edo Tradition by KoloOyinbo(m): 8:23pm On Jan 07, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:
^stop trying to imitate us.

Why? I enjoy Naija and participating in the culture. Also I respect my Fiancée's culture and will participate in that. As we would welcome any foreigner participating in Irish culture.

The names are given to me by my many Naija friends.

I must say your post was a little unwelcoming but I sure that was not the intention. I have found Nigerians to be among the friendliest people I have encountered in a lifetime of travel.

1 Like

Re: Edo Tradition by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:28pm On Jan 07, 2014
I have a question for you, if you mind answering it truthfully.

How old are you and how old is your fianceé ?
Re: Edo Tradition by KoloOyinbo(m): 8:33pm On Jan 07, 2014
OK.. I am 57 and she is 24.

By the way, it is not an internet romance. I met her three years ago in Lagos. I spend a LOT of time in Naija. I also know about Oyinbo pepe and know she is not after that.
Re: Edo Tradition by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:38pm On Jan 07, 2014
*smh. I just new it. .

Its mostly old white people who come to developing and poor nations in search of young and beautiful girls to marry.

Meanwhile, the girls marry for the money, etc.

thats what whites travel to developing and poor nations for. s.exual release.

When I found out you are Irishman in 9ja, I just new it there was something like this involved. I then went through your posts and have been proven right.

Again my hunch on your age has been proven right.
Re: Edo Tradition by KoloOyinbo(m): 8:43pm On Jan 07, 2014
I came to Niaja 13 years ago for WORK. I wish I had the money to travel chasing gal's but I go where the work is.

"hats what whites travel to developing and poor nations for. s.exual release." - what nonsense. If you have the money to travel you have the money to get that at home!

Really your manners are somewhat lacking and not what most Nigerians are like.

I have posted on many different issues so don't know which (if any) you object to.

3 Likes

Re: Edo Tradition by Nobody: 12:30am On Jan 08, 2014
Pagan 9ja.... U need to relax.
Re: Edo Tradition by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:50am On Jan 08, 2014
^relax when our Girls are being taken abi

You need to come out of our hole and visit the outside world. You will see a million such cases around you.

KoloOyinbo: I came to Niaja 13 years ago for WORK. I wish I had the money to travel chasing gal's but I go where the work is.
"hats what whites travel to developing and poor nations for. s.exual release." - what nonsense. If you have the money to travel you have the money to get that at home!

You dont have the money to get young "exotic" girls at home.

Really your manners are somewhat lacking and not what most Nigerians are like.
I have posted on many different issues so don't know which (if any) you object to.

This is not manners. THis is called coming to the point.

I have had my say here.
Re: Edo Tradition by ladionline: 8:48am On Jan 08, 2014
@Kolo Oyinbo, don't mind pagan9ja, he's trying to be 'territorial', and there should be room for soul searching and pockets of 'soul scotching' here and there. Anyway life is not suppose to be so fair and exotic 1oo/cent. Diversity and mix exist side by side with 'pure' if that truly exist, since "creavolution"grin Keep your queen, THAT'S MY VERDICT.

Black is beautiful, white is cute, and malato is 'cutebeauty'. Meet Sade Adu. Don't let recrimination crank your delight in your queen, ok? Those folks have theirs, so keep yours and make her happy. Age, race is not a thang! Humanity (love) come first before every other parochial affiliations. What do you call man being inhuman to man? That's why I equate humanity with love.
Re: Edo Tradition by macof(m): 10:04am On Jan 08, 2014
Edo girl weds Irish man grin

angry
Re: Edo Tradition by KoloOyinbo(m): 2:52pm On Jan 08, 2014
Thank to both macof and ladionline. I really dont mind the nonsense that PAGAN9JA spouts. I don't seem to understand his point (most probably because he doesn't have one.

I have encountered all forms of bigotry, racism and similar rubbish all over the world and just ignore it as beneath me.

The point is that Naomi and I are in love and will wed! Those that matter do not mind and those that mind do not matter!

I meet VERY FEW people who have a problem with us or indeed with an Oyinbo being interested in Naija culture.

This guy trys to tell someone who has travelled all over the world to visit the outside world

I don't know this guy but he sound like he has never left his village. (Probably has but the mentality has remained - how sad).

Anyway thanks again for the kind comments. Look me up next time Im in Lasgidi or Pitawaka!!!! smiley

1 Like

Re: Edo Tradition by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:27pm On Jan 08, 2014
KoloOyinbo: Thank to both macof and ladionline. I really dont mind the nonsense that PAGAN9JA spouts. I don't seem to understand don't want to understand his point (most probably because he doesn't have one.

I have encountered all forms of bigotry, racism and similar rubbish all over the world and just ignore it as beneath me.

yeahh same here.

The point is that Naomi and I are in love and will wed! Those that matter do not mind and those that mind do not matter!

whatever. Ive warned my fellow Naija peeps.

That was my main purpose here.

I meet VERY FEW people who have a problem with us or indeed with an Oyinbo being interested in Naija culture.

Thats because all terms of morality and whats supposed to be right are dictated today according to Western norms.
Our way of life is being pushed into the mud as barbaric and non-contemporary.

This guy trys to tell someone who has travelled all over the world to visit the outside world

You won't believe if I told you the places I have visited. I do not wish to reveal anyways.

btw I didnt tell you. That was directed @ the Radoillo II guy.
In my discourse, you played the character of the old guy who travels the world looking for fresh meat.
(which is not hard if you are white and have cash in your pocket)

I don't know this guy but he sound like he has never left his village. (Probably has but the mentality has remained - how sad).

As I said before, today you whites think that all the world should think the way you do.

We are Tribals. Marrying outside is against our way of life.
You oyinbos try to spread your promiscuity to us.
You will fail some day.
Re: Edo Tradition by KoloOyinbo(m): 3:51pm On Jan 08, 2014
You are still not very clear on what exactly your point is?

If you don't like interacial/intertribal marriage then you are the one with the problem not the rest of the world. My fiancee and I do not care about your opinion not is it of relevance, weight or value. Nor I suspect do very many other here except perhaps the village witchdoctor/juju man or whatever term you care to use. Is it the age difference or the colour of my skin you object to?

I don't object to the premise you seem to have of promoting native African Religions. Fine, do so. I am broadly Christian but respect your right to believe in any God(s) you choose. Just please don't expect me to do so or indeed to promote God's of Iron (from a photo in one of your posts) or spirits etc etc. You are as free to believe in them as the rest of the world is to reject them. Even in Europe and America the Wican religion exists and Scientologists etc. We just don't take those two very seriously (probably would respect your ideas more than them actually).

You do SEEM anti 'white' almost racist although that is not an accusation I would make lightly.

Your way of life is not being pushed into the mud. It is developing as your fellow Nigerians develop rejecting what they no longer find useful and retaining (possibly even improving) whatever they find good. If they take something from what you call 'white' cultures (the are many diverse ones) or Asian or Eastern or other African then good luck to them. All cultures borrow/trade/adapt from the neighbouring cultures they interact with. That has been the way the world and its people have worked for thousands of years.

I never said you had not travelled only that your mentality was that of someone who has not. But don't accuse me of non travel (which you did) when I have travelled extensively over my 57 years and been over five of the seven continents. (Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, North America. I do hope to add South America in the next few years depending on the work situation and will not worry if I do not ever get to Antartica - although I am told it is a very interesting experience)

Travel and exposure to varied cultures is one of the most educational experiences known to man.
Re: Edo Tradition by macof(m): 4:07pm On Jan 08, 2014
Kolo oyinbo
I have no problem with your idea of love but she's too young. You have almost 20yrs on her and Her parents must be stuupid to let a white old Irish man come and marry her when there are Edo men in their 30s

^^ Just my opinion because I would never allow it

1 Like

Re: Edo Tradition by KoloOyinbo(m): 4:13pm On Jan 08, 2014
Hi macof

Thanks for your input.

Her parents are (sadly) deceased. The rest of her family are ok with it. I do see more marriages with large age differences in Naija than I see in Europe. The age diff is a problem but all marriages have some issues and as long as the people involved are ok with it then that's fine.

I hope I still have another 20 years of working, providing, travelling etc etc (maybe more, who knows).
Re: Edo Tradition by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:16pm On Jan 08, 2014
KoloOyinbo: You are still not very clear on what exactly your point is?

I am crystal clear.

I was not born yesterday.

If you don't like interacial/intertribal marriage then you are the one with the problem not the rest of the world. My fiancee and I do not care about your opinion not is it of relevance, weight or value. Nor I suspect do very many other here except perhaps the village witchdoctor/juju man or whatever term you care to use. Is it the age difference or the colour of my skin you object to?

Again see your arrogance! The whole world is not for "Interracial/Intertribal" marriage. Infact a good majority in non-western countries are against it. I dont know about your fianceé cuz she didnt see this post.
However I dont care what your opinion is either.

I have just stated my opinion as an alert to other Nigerians . There are enough people who care for my opinions. Stop thinking that the Nigerian mentality is only restricted to village and cavemen, whereas your "superior" whitemans mentality is of the city and the "developed world".

BULLSHYT! we might be poor but we are not born without a brain.

I object to interracial marriage.

I was proven right on both counts which further strengthens my view because Ive seen many examples elsewhere and Im not exaggerating.

I don't object to the premise you seem to have of promoting native African Religions. Fine, do so. I am broadly Christian but respect your right to believe in any God(s) you choose. Just please don't expect me to do so or indeed to promote God's of Iron (from a photo in one of your posts) or spirits etc etc. You are as free to believe in them as the rest of the world is to reject them. Even in Europe and America the Wican religion exists and Scientologists etc. We just don't take those two very seriously (probably would respect your ideas more than them actually).

WTH you talking about dude? Where did religion come from now angry

You do SEEM anti 'white' almost racist although that is not an accusation I would make lightly.

Yeahh Im sortof anti-white. (not all whites though; depends where they are from) .

Your way of life is not being pushed into the mud. It is developing as your fellow Nigerians develop rejecting what they no longer find useful and retaining (possibly even improving) whatever they find good. If they take something from what you call 'white' cultures (the are many diverse ones) or Asian or Eastern or other African then good luck to them. All cultures borrow/trade/adapt from the neighbouring cultures they interact with. That has been the way the world and its people have worked for thousands of years.

If developing means converting our mentality to yours, then that aint developing.

Again you are portraying your arrogance here. So if we think and practice our custom in accordance with your white-peoples views, we are developing? SCREW THAT!

We can develop our own cultures. It doesnt mean you try to destroy ours.

I never said you had not travelled only that your mentality was that of someone who has not. But don't accuse me of non travel (which you did) when I have travelled extensively over my 57 years and been over five of the seven continents. (Europe, Africa, Asia, Australia, North America. I do hope to add South America in the next few years depending on the work situation and will not worry if I do not ever get to Antartica - although I am told it is a very interesting experience)

When have I accused you of not travelling? Did you even bother to read what I wrote?

I clearly mentioned your role in my discourse. ( The old white guy who travels the world in search of young females of his daughter's age to marry )

If you are referring to this:

PAGAN 9JA: ^relax when our Girls are being taken abi
You need to come out of our hole and visit the outside world. You will see a million such cases around you.

you see this arrow "^" ? This was pointing to the poster above me. go figure . .
Re: Edo Tradition by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:16pm On Jan 08, 2014
macof: Kolo oyinbo
I have no problem with your idea of love but she's too young. You have almost 20yrs on her and Her parents must be stuupid to let a white old Irish man come and marry her when there are Edo men in their 30s

^^ Just my opinion because I would never allow it

girls these days. .

She has no parents to tell her.

Its sad. .
Re: Edo Tradition by POPEII: 4:32pm On Jan 08, 2014
KoloOyinbo: OK.. I am 57 and she is 24.

By the way, it is not an internet romance. I met her three years ago in Lagos. I spend a LOT of time in Naija. I also know about Oyinbo pepe and know she is not after that.

Tufiakwa

1 Like

Re: Edo Tradition by KoloOyinbo(m): 4:39pm On Jan 08, 2014
[quote author=PAGAN 9JA]

I am crystal clear. ABOUT WHAT?

I was not born yesterday.

Again see your arrogance! The whole world is not for "Interracial/Intertribal" marriage. Infact a good majority in non-western countries are against it. [/b]I dont know about your fianceé cuz she didnt see this post.
However I dont care what your opinion is either.

[b]NOW I KNOW YOU HAVE NOT TRAVELLED. BROADEN YOUR EXPERIENCE BEFORE YOU OFFER AN INCORRECT OPINION. THIS IS NOT ARROGANCE SIMPLY WHAT I HAVE OBSERVED OVER A LIFETIME OF TRAVEL.

I have just stated my opinion as an alert to other Nigerians . There are enough people who care for my opinions. Stop thinking that the Nigerian mentality is only restricted to village and cavemen, whereas your "superior" whitemans mentality is of the city and the "developed world".

I never said any of this. In fact I merely enquired about Edo traditions to show respect to my Fiancee and her family. You attitude here is not what I have experienced during my 13 years of travel to Naija. The developed world is not 'white' you know - there are many non white countries that are in the developed world.

BULLSHYT! we might be poor but we are not born without a brain. ?? I never said the contrary!

I object to interracial marriage. RACIST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was proven right on both counts which further strengthens my view because Ive seen many examples elsewhere and Im not exaggerating.
Proven right Yes you are right in your mud hut and the rest of the world including 99% of Nigerians are wrong. Who are you kidding?

WTH you talking about dude? Where did religion come from now angry Your many other posts. You alluded to mine so I checked your!

Yeahh Im sortof anti-white. (not all whites though; depends where they are from) . So which whites do you approve of? The ones who do not come to Naija obviously!!!

If developing means converting our mentality to yours, then that aint developing. I never said it was. Nor did I ask you to convert your mentality. I reiterate that I only asked about your traditions to respect them - what part of that do you have a problem with?

Again you are portraying your arrogance here. So if we think and practice our custom in accordance with your white-peoples views, we are developing? SCREW THAT! SEE ABOVE COMMENT!

We can develop our own cultures. It doesnt mean you try to destroy ours.

By me following your marriage customs exactly how am I trying to destroy them? Your illogical racism is warping your reasoning powers.

Now you have been rude, ill mannered, racist and offensive to someone you do not know the slightest thing about. I do not feel any need to worry about your rantings. Nor do I feel a need to respond in a similar vein.

1 Like

Re: Edo Tradition by ladionline: 5:00pm On Jan 08, 2014
Pagan9ja, shilth sword. Can you change the world? And the wrong that was and that is to come? Is paganism a 'hand in glove' with racism? I am not supporting kolo, but what is the future of religion that is easy to offend and is discriminative? You once told me we evolve, thats the tenet of your paganism. Your tenet is not original to you or to Africa, it
Re: Edo Tradition by POPEII: 5:04pm On Jan 08, 2014
^ so you think your forefathers never made theories before the white man/invasion/occupation?

1 Like

Re: Edo Tradition by ladionline: 5:04pm On Jan 08, 2014
Pagan9ja, shilth sword. Can you change the world? And the wrong that was and that is to come? Is paganism a 'hand in glove' with racism? I am not supporting kolo, but what is the future of religion that is easy to offend and is discriminative? You once told me we evolve, that's the tenet of your paganism. Your tenet is not original to you or to Africa, it is Oyinbo belief. Why hate people you are indebted to?
Re: Edo Tradition by POPEII: 5:05pm On Jan 08, 2014
Jeez some of you really think your life started with Nigeria? Or slavery?
Re: Edo Tradition by macof(m): 6:01pm On Jan 08, 2014
ladionline: Pagan9ja, shilth sword. Can you change the world? And the wrong that was and that is to come? Is paganism a 'hand in glove' with racism? I am not supporting kolo, but what is the future of religion that is easy to offend and is discriminative? You once told me we evolve, that's the tenet of your paganism. Your tenet is not original to you or to Africa, it is Oyinbo belief. Why hate people you are indebted to?

Pagan 9ja has his ideology and reasons for his comments in this thread.
Paganism isn't all to do with this topic, The Irish man could be a pagan devoted to Esus or any Deity it doesn't Change the fact that 50+ Irish man marrying a Young Edo in her 20s is totally rubbish. I find it hard to believe it's love but abeg even love knows wat is right and wat is wrong

To the bold- Wat does that mean? Who is he indebted to?
Re: Edo Tradition by ladionline: 8:24pm On Jan 08, 2014
macof:

Pagan 9ja has his ideology and reasons for his comments in this thread.
Paganism isn't all to do with this topic, The Irish man could be a pagan devoted to Esus or any Deity it doesn't Change the fact that 50+ Irish man marrying a Young Edo in her 20s is totally rubbish. I find it hard to believe it's love but abeg even love knows wat is right and wat is wrong

To the bold- Wat does that mean? Who is he indebted to?
You make good point. But you should remember the people involve are two adults, male and female. Their relationship is private to them as long as its not the first of its kind or illegal. I remember Hafsat Abiola, Akuiyili's and so on. At the bolded, I learnt from pagan9ja that he believe we evolve few days ago. The notion came from Charles Darwin and Herbart Spencer not last year, this guys are whites. When you share the same faith with someone, do you have to pick on just anything cultural from them with eternal suspicion again? Unhealthy suspicion is hate.
Re: Edo Tradition by MamiWata: 12:16pm On Jan 09, 2014
PAGAN 9JA:
*smh. I just new it. .

Its mostly old white people who come to developing and poor nations in search of young and beautiful girls to marry.

Meanwhile, the girls marry for the money, etc.

thats what whites travel to developing and poor nations for. s.exual release.

When I found out you are Irishman in 9ja, I just new it there was something like this involved. I then went through your posts and have been proven right.

Again my hunch on your age has been proven right.

Foreigners like to think that they as individuals are the exception to this rule. They foolishly cling to the idea thhat Africans are really marrying them for love rather than money/status even though logic points to the much more obvious conclusion. When she's spending his money and cheating with a younger guy he'll wake up.
Re: Edo Tradition by MamiWata: 12:22pm On Jan 09, 2014
KoloOyinbo: Thank to both macof and ladionline. I really dont mind the nonsense that PAGAN9JA spouts. I don't seem to understand his point (most probably because he doesn't have one.

Anyway thanks again for the kind comments. Look me up next time Im in Lasgidi or Pitawaka!!!! smiley

Perhaps YOU are in love but Pagan9Ja is actually trying to do you a favor and wake you up to the fact that you are delusional to believe SHE is in love with you. And by the way those of us who don't leave our villages are usually much better grounded in our own traditions than those who do and frankly there is nothing sad about that.
Re: Edo Tradition by macof(m): 12:56pm On Jan 09, 2014
ladionline: You make good point. But you should remember the people involve are two adults, male and female. Their relationship is private to them as long as its not the first of its kind or illegal. I remember Hafsat Abiola, Akuiyili's and so on. At the bolded, I learnt from pagan9ja that he believe we evolve few days ago. The notion came from Charles Darwin and Herbart Spencer not last year, this guys are whites. When you share the same faith with someone, do you have to pick on just anything cultural from them with eternal suspicion again? Unhealthy suspicion is hate.

Yh But seriously.
An Edo lady in her 20s- Irish man in his 50s what love is that? someone is deceiving someone.

The rest of your post has nothing to do with this topic. WTH does evolution even have to do with

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Osogbo War Of 1840- Oldnaija History / Concise History Of Umudioka Town, Dunukofia Lga, Anambra State / The Title OBA Is Indigenous To Benins

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.