Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,987 members, 7,835,310 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage (9615 Views)

A CEO Raised His Company's Minimum Wage To $70,000 A Year, And Some Quit / INEC Wage / Now Employed, 1st Class Graduate Spends First Wage On Billboard To Say Thanks! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Stormborn: 9:45pm On Sep 01, 2013
First of all my friend, sports men are paid by billioniers and it is not their fault that they earn so much money, mean while the nurses and those other people you called are paid by government and some millioniers who run private companies that cannot pay these sport men.
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Nobody: 9:49pm On Sep 01, 2013
engrtee: Samuel Eto'o, has taken a £10 million ($15.5 million) pay cut to join English Premier Leaguegiants Chelsea, after completing a move from Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala. Eto'o rocked football headlines by joining Anzhi a few yearsago on wages of about £350,000 ($542, 510) a week, as he
became the stand-out earner in world footballduring his time with the Russian giants

messi,bale and christian ronaldo all earn above that just by
bringing untold joy to millions of fans every season, just by twirling his feet around at great speed

do they really deserve the pay?However, should Messi be paid more than a nurse or a firefighter or a journalist? Okay, so perhaps he deserves to pick up a slightly bigger pay packet than a hack journo, but what about the other two, whose job is it to keep people alive? Shouldn’t ensuring others’ survival be worth more than running round a football pitch every few days? Don’t they and others deserve to be paid somewhere nearer Messi’s multi-million salary?

What about proffessors who spend years on research?
What of other professions?

If your nurse, firefighter and journalist want to make money. Them no get their size for boot?
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Nobody: 9:56pm On Sep 01, 2013
sports is a latge industry.behind this sportmen are coaches,nurses and doctors specialized in sports related injuries,physiotherapist,psychologist,agents,dieticians,sport scientist and others.some of these mentioned professionals are professors,phd holders in their field.the salary of a sportman varies so as that other profession.an enyimba star receives less than 0.5% of bale's wages.same goes for a nurse in one of those hospital that serves royals and the elites of the world.
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Nobody: 9:58pm On Sep 01, 2013
[size=15pt]yes they do cos it keeps the whole world entertain, plus thats the only thing that bring the whole world together.[/size]
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by bizfirst: 9:58pm On Sep 01, 2013
OP, the pay of anyone is adjudged by how society deems the service offered. True, Ronaldo and co. only chase pig skin about. But if truth be told, the world values that pig skin chasing more than the years a prof. has put in (don't forget many guys skip lectures just to watch the so called pig skin chasing). Again, the world is generally not fair: get used to that!
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by YoshiMaster: 10:00pm On Sep 01, 2013
Look at it this way, if you can get a couple hundred or thousand of people to pay you on a regular basis, then of course the money will pile up.

Imagine if you had a talking goat, and you start charging your neighbors NGN1,000 per conversation, and then the whole city, and country, everybody wanting to pay to see your talking goat, of course you will be a rich man, duh!

Speaking of GOATS, Kobe, one of the GOATS, earns a whopping 30 mill for LA Lakers.

Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Nobody: 10:08pm On Sep 01, 2013
Afam4eva: Yes, they deserve a higher pay because football clubs make more money than most hospitals and media houses. Clubs make their money through endorsements and adverts which usually come in billions, so, the pay these footballers get is in tandem with the amount of money in their industry. I also noticed that you used the example of a nurse and a firefighter to make it seem as if people that are helping others don't make much whereas footballers are indirectly putting smiles on people's faces by entertaining them. Do you know that the only thing that unites Nigeria is football. When a football match is going on, everybody forgets their tribal and religious affiliation and hold their hands in brotherhood to support their team. Let's not stretch it. Sports and especially football is big business and the employees of big businesses will also make big money. When most hospitals become multi-million dollar companies, then nurses will be paid very well. Even in developed countries nurses are paid reasonably well cos a lot of hospitals there are very big and make a lot of money.

I agree with your points why footballers earn huge pay. But I know you are a smart guy but you should please take a second look at this statement "Do you know that the only thing that unites Nigeria is football. When a football match is going on, everybody forgets their tribal and religious affiliation and hold their hands in brotherhood to support their team." Logically that people either pretend or temporally fail to pay attention either by chance or circumstance to the supposedly feud between them does not translate to unity at that point. Neither does Praying or wishing or hoping together for a cause does not anyway means unity.

1 Like

Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by pekelepekele(m): 10:18pm On Sep 01, 2013
[b]They don't deserve it but they are getting that pay because of the "BETTING WORLD" . Do you know that 70% of sport fanatics are into sport betting?

Sport betting alone generates over $20 bn in the united states annually .

Now lets assume the op is lionel messi and your pay is not more than $20k weekly and I am a bookie that own a website like bet365 dot com . I can easily approach you with $100k for you to make sure your team loses against a very simple team that no one ever expect to win because that way bettors will be able to lose their funds which will surely be more than a million dollar and that is ten times the amount i gave to you

All you just have to do is get on the pitch and injure any of the player on the opposite team seriously that the referee will have no other option than to give you a red card .

That is the main reason why the key players pay keeps sky rocketing annually.

But despite the huge pay some players are still selling out to the bookies . undecided

[/b]
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by YoshiMaster: 10:25pm On Sep 01, 2013
pekelepekele: They don't deserve it but they are getting that pay because of the "BETTING WORLD" . Do you know that 70% of sport fanatics are into sport betting?

Sport betting alone generates over $20 bn in the united states alone annually .

Now lets assume the op is lionel messi and your pay is not more than $20k weekly and I am a bookie that own a website like bet365 dot com . I can easily approach you with $100k for you to make sure your team loses against a very simple team that no one ever expect to win.

All you just have to do is get on the pitch and injure any of the player on the opposite team seriously that the referee will have no other option than to give you a red card .

That is the main reason why the key players pay keeps sky rocketing annually.

But despite the huge pay some players are still selling out to the bookies . undecided

Of course they deserve it, its not like they are getting the money from some unknown source, no. The money is coming directly from you and me that pay our hard earned cash to be entertained by them, and from sponsors that also make money indirectly from them by sponsoring them.

Even if you do not pay to watch them personally, so many people out there have goals of saving up money so they can go see their sport heroes live.

Regarding sport betting, that is nothing but excessive greed on the part of any player that intentionally throws a game for additional financial gain.
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by pekelepekele(m): 10:35pm On Sep 01, 2013
Yoshi-Master:

Of course they deserve it, its not like they are getting the money from some unknown source, no. The money is coming directly from you and me that pay our hard earned cash to be entertained by them, and from sponsors that also make money indirectly from them by sponsoring them.

Even if you do not pay to watch them personally, so many people out there have goals of saving up money so they can go see their sport heroes live.

Regarding sport betting, that is nothing but excessive greed on the part of any player that intentionally throws a game for additional financial gain.

You are right bro but where the main money is for players and most coaches is inside match fixing . Arsenal coach can easily approach Man utd coach to allow him claim some points by defeating them and if man utd coach feels like he didn't really need that match he will accept the offer.

That is why sometimes you just see the coach bench a star player and also start the match with a very useless line up
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by russianmob27: 10:50pm On Sep 01, 2013
meeeen, una with these end time things sha....I no blame una sha, I go blame president Goodluck Jonathan and Buhari
mikedaniel76@gmail.com:
End time tinz,Daz all!
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by ajanaku2(m): 11:13pm On Sep 01, 2013
I dey vex!

I obviously chose the wrong Career path, no thanks to My education-and-book-loving Mama and Grandma...

I represented My secondary school in the lagos state Principals' Cup competition in both the junior and senior categories...May be I would have been playing for My favourite team, Arsenal right now and earning megabucks, if I had trodden the Football Path...

But Look at My Life right now! With a good Degree and 2 Professional qualifications, Samuel Eto'o earns in a week, what I would earn in 43 years or thereabout, with respect to earned Income...I doubt if Eto'o has the equivalent of a National Diploma...

No be by book at all o...In as much as I admire intellectual and scholastic accomplishments, I also crave Money in large amounts...So, it's Money Over Books...

If you've got a Boy out there who has a keen interest in football and he's relatively good at it, please, encourage him...I still blame My Grandma for not allowing Me to enrol for the Pepsi FC summer coaching for secondary school students that year at the National stadium Surulere, Lagos; She insisted that I enrol for some nonsense Junior WAEC classes...Some boys made it to Europe from that Pepsi FC summer coaching...

I dey vex!

4 Likes

Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Revolva(m): 11:19pm On Sep 01, 2013
yes of course if they dont deserve high wages...make una go run footballfield..n see he e be....na..

1 Like

Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by lawizle(m): 11:49pm On Sep 01, 2013
pro01: Life is not fair, get used to it. I have been both a victim and a beneficiary of life's 'unfairness', so I know. It's not just about footballers' ridiculous wages; it's the same in sooooooo many other spheres of life.

Even the Bible seems to endorse this point.

Ecclesiastes 9:11
" I have seen something else under the sun: The race is not to the swift or the
battle to the strong, nor does food come to the wise or wealth to the brilliant or
favour to the learned; but time and chance happen to them all."

One of d most sensible posts I've ever heard
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by oyebanji(m): 11:53pm On Sep 01, 2013
While we do not mean any disrespect to any profession, sports is a business and a growing and successful one at that. It is therefore neccessary for people in this business to earn so much because investors earn so much from investing in sports through endorsements and so on.

Until we run sport as a business in Nigeria, we will never know the potential earning capability of sports generally.
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by ITbomb(m): 12:08am On Sep 02, 2013
It is laughable to compare a life-saving firefighter with an entertaining Messi.
How many people pay to see a firefighter save a life?
Talent pays more than profession
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Pistolx(m): 12:29am On Sep 02, 2013
end time footballers y wunt they earn high
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Lucasbalo(m): 1:20am On Sep 02, 2013
Market determines everything. The club owners are making much more.
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Abbey2sam(m): 2:13am On Sep 02, 2013
Football is a business that involves a lot of tinz,
And also have plenty viewers around the globe
And for it to be accessible by you, you must pay one way or the other, you can never watch it for free,because the channel airing it did not get the right for free, if you could remember during the afcon, CAF demanded about £8million from NTA for the right to air it.

All I'm trying to say is when a business makes this kind of money, definitely the worker will earn more....take for example people that work with oil companies, can you compare their salaries with that of a doctors, even though doctors saves lives.......

So it's not all about the nature of your job
Its about________?

A philosopher said and I quote
Poor men work hard while rich men work smart
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Stevez32(m): 2:34am On Sep 02, 2013
when you cant change it, why crack ur head over it? Are you in a position to determine what they earn? @op
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Akanniade(m): 2:53am On Sep 02, 2013
See each FC as a manufacturing company producing a consumer product that is widely acceptable. See each player as factory of this company each in strategic locations. Budget is allocated to each factory based on output.
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Kirinwa: 3:50am On Sep 02, 2013
chidindufrank: If u think the job is easy,go to d market and buy ur own boot.

Pity the guy nah.They will mess him up in pitch.
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Kirinwa: 4:03am On Sep 02, 2013
pekelepekele:

You are right bro but where the main money is for players and most coaches is inside match fixing . Arsenal coach can easily approach Man utd coach to allow him claim some points by defeating them and if man utd coach feels like he didn't really need that match he will accept the offer.

That is why sometimes you just see the coach bench a star player and also start the match with a very useless line up

My guy comedy will fit you o.Useless lineup.Na person father o.
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Kirinwa: 4:15am On Sep 02, 2013
Forgive them.You feel that your life has been taken from you.You need to see beyond this to what God wants for you.Its well.Cheer up.
ajanaku2: I dey vex!

I obviously chose the wrong Career path, no thanks to My education-and-book-loving Mama and Grandma...

I represented My secondary school in the lagos state Principals' Cup competition in both the junior and senior categories...May be I would have been playing for My favourite team, Arsenal right now and earning megabucks, if I had trodden the Football Path...

But Look at My Life right now! With a good Degree and 2 Professional qualifications, Samuel Eto'o earns in a week, what I would earn in 43 years or thereabout, with respect to earned Income...I doubt if Eto'o has the equivalent of a National Diploma...

No be by book at all o...In as much as I admire intellectual and scholastic accomplishments, I also crave Money in large amounts...So, it's Money Over Books...

If you've got a Boy out there who has a keen interest in football and he's relatively good at it, please, encourage him...I still blame My Grandma for not allowing Me to enrol for the Pepsi FC summer coaching for secondary school students that year at the National stadium Surulere, Lagos; She insisted that I enrol for some nonsense Junior WAEC classes...Some boys made it to Europe from that Pepsi FC summer coaching...

I dey vex!
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by diesel86: 5:17am On Sep 02, 2013
The law of Effection states that the more lives you affect in an entity you control in scale or magnitude, the richer u will become.
A singer sells millions of songs and is paid millions.
A lottery winner earns millions cos millions entered the drawing.
The more lives u impact, directly or indirectly the more wealth u will attract.
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by thenabster(m): 6:03am On Sep 02, 2013
Afam4eva: Yes, they deserve a higher pay because football clubs make more money than most hospitals and media houses. Clubs make their money through endorsements and adverts which usually come in billions, so, the pay these footballers get is in tandem with the amount of money in their industry. I also noticed that you used the example of a nurse and a firefighter to make it seem as if people that are helping others don't make much whereas footballers are indirectly putting smiles on people's faces by entertaining them. Do you know that the only thing that unites Nigeria is football. When a football match is going on, everybody forgets their tribal and religious affiliation and hold their hands in brotherhood to support their team. Let's not stretch it. Sports and especially football is big business and the employees of big businesses will also make big money. When most hospitals become multi-million dollar companies, then nurses will be paid very well. Even in developed countries nurses are paid reasonably well cos a lot of hospitals there are very big and make a lot of money.

What this guy said. It's simple business. If I bring $100 to a company, I deserve a big part of it.
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by thenabster(m): 6:03am On Sep 02, 2013

What this guy said. It's simple business. If I bring $100 to a company, I deserve a big part of it.
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by livingstoneony(m): 6:29am On Sep 02, 2013
Dean Olamide: Case one : Ur headline alone is fluke.... Sportmen and Footballers general to specific..

Case two : if they should earn more than professors? What do professors do? Sit in d office and sleep.. While these guys spend virtually all d time in a calendar year running to and fro a field... Imagine d thought from u... They deserve all of the money they get even more more more.
if u want to justify it from that perspective what about the recruit or should I say foot soldiers and police men who r always on d job #don't tell me nonsense.
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Donmams(m): 6:36am On Sep 02, 2013
So far no one has been able to give OP a good enough answer. But let me try. OP it goes like this. Your argument is a little bit flawed. Sure the Messi's, Ronaldo's and Etoo's receive huge wages. But these individuals are at the very pinnacle of their sport. Since you're not too familiar with football you wouldn't know that even for the big leagues like england, spain and germany only the really big teams pay players anything above €20,000/week. Most players don't even get paid anything near this amount. Have you ever wondered what players from lower status clubs get paid per week? It's nothing more than the average pay within the society.
You are unaware of the fact that below the 20 team premier league, there are about 6 or 7 other leagues below it with about 200 times more players who paid nothing more than the minimum wage. Ditto for other leagues such as france, spain, germany, italy etc.
If you take professions such as medicine for example, you fail to notice that the very best doctors, surgeons, nurses and other support staff receive nearly 10 times more than their average colleagues within the same profession. Pretty much similar to football now isn't it?
More importantly, sports men and women have very limited time frames to practice their profession. A top top sports man or woman begin to decline once they cross the 30-year barrier. Most top footballers begin to enjoy astronomical salaries at the age of 20. So they have only 10 years before all that money stops coming in. Might i add that footballers don't earn any pension whatsoever. However, a doctor, nurse, civil servant's salary keeps rising until retirement. Which for some professions can be up to 70 years of age. So on average your average worker spends over 40 years of his life earning a living wage while sportsmen on average don't last more than 15 years. It is for this reason that sportsmen receive significantly more pay than your average worker.
If you consider the fact that 99% of footballers receive nothing more than the minimum wage and still get to retire at 35 without any pension and without much of a future(most of them are school dropouts), you'll realize that in actual fact, football is the worst profession in the world because it shortchanges most of its employees.
Even the likes of messi mostly end up destitutes within 4 years after retirement because after getting used to ostentatious lifestyles for over 10 years they find it difficult to adjust even after retirement when all that cash stops rolling in. They keep spending and spending until all that money runs out.
To cut a long story short, the lives of the biggest footballers might seem so unbelievably unfair to the rest of us, but the fact is that it is nothing but a mirage. The fact is in truth, we are better off than them in the long run. Far better.
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Pdizzle(m): 7:48am On Sep 02, 2013
you make money accordn to ur industry
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by Okikiade(m): 7:48am On Sep 02, 2013
Any sport is an art that require more dedication with a higher level of endurance to satisfies those that's watching a sportsmen/women performs! It's an entertainment in which the performance is all about total sacrifice to makes people happy! A football goes through stressful ways to make people forget their problems & be stressless! Scarcity of resources i.e.Messi,CR7 etc.
Re: Do Footballers And Sportmen Deserve Higher Wage by leggo: 7:49am On Sep 02, 2013
Oscar despite his fragile look is on course for another 60+ game season. so any amount he's paid is fine by me. A football club is a country of its own, how much the players earn is no ones bizness. if you have qualms tell the govt to increase the wages of the nurses. a football club pays from its own revenue so don't say crrap about unfair wages.
and btw football is a high risk sport, if in doubt ask Fabrice Muamba

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Npower Registration 2024: Latest On New Portal Login / Share Your Interview Experience / JOB - Banks' Customers Verification

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.