Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,123 members, 7,818,368 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 01:45 PM

Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit (10907 Views)

Would You Buy Nokia Lumia 620? / I Want To Buy Nokia N8 In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by 1k001(m): 3:53pm On Sep 03, 2013
...oh how the mighty have fallen...
This appears to have been Elop's mission afterall.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by LordReed(m): 3:53pm On Sep 03, 2013
kinesis: u seem to forget samdung owns a massive percentage of android devices, which will take years to catch up with, even with their customers being loyal, cuz i doubt they r loyal to the nokia brand. WP8 was the best choice thwey could have made cuz right now, they top that market, and are bringing in stuff they wouldnt want google to share at all

I am not talking about the current status. Nokia had a somewhat large window to have made the jump to Android. Between 2008 and 2011 it was already obvious that Symbian was in trouble. With a little bit of foresight Nokia could have backed the Android project and got in on the ground floor. It would interest you to note that Samsung was heavily reliant on Symbian for their smartphones but look at them now. Tell me if Nokia and Samsung had started the Android race together who do you think would be ahead now?

Even if Nokia goes Android now believe me they will give Samsung a very good run for their money especially in Europe, Asia and Africa. They have the marketing, supply and sales channels to do it plus lots of goodwill in these markets; notice how people keep wishing for "Nokia battery power"? Tell me you don't want an Android device powered by Nokia. That sentiment is multiplied in millions all over those regions. I can bet my house that if Nokia releases an Android powered device with all the pomp and flavour of a Samsung Galaxy device launch it will out sell any phone (including the iPhone) on the market.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by zealed64: 4:01pm On Sep 03, 2013
na na na na na na na na...hee hee hee...goodbyyeeee!!!!!!...RIP nokia..it's a pity.....
i ve always known stephen elop is a bad idea....i anticipated this to happen, buh most pple were jus not seeing stephen elop's insidiousness....their new name will be 'MICROKIA'...lol....i respect nokia anyway, they played a huge role when it comes to evolution of mobile phones, than any other phone company...

blackberry never see who go bye dem yet..??.na dem i laugh pass...see as dem dey beg android & ios to start using BBM....buh none of dem want!!..very soon dem go publish---- "blackberry company" for sell..prize very negotiable!!.. grin grin grin
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Bawss1(m): 4:05pm On Sep 03, 2013
Lord_Reed:

From a money stand point of course this makes Nokia happy but from a strategic direction point there is a lot of doubt that MSFT can handle a mobile device business; WinMo wasn't all that, Zune too went burst, Surface is lumbering slowly in sales. Aside Xbox and Sidewinder (and maybe Microsoft Mouse but that is too basic) none of MSFTs forays into mobile or hardware haven't been spectacular, even Xbox lost out on the Bluray vs HD-DVD fight.

Those cases you cited are completely unrelated to this aquisition; Xbox losing the Bluray/HD battle didn't mean that the Xbox was a failed console, Zune was a music player that has seen elements of itself incorporated into WP8. Besides, in this instance the mobile phones will still be made by a bespoke OEM - Nokia.

As for the rest of your post: surely Nokia would have struggled under Android just as Sony, HTC and virtually every other OEM aside Samsung is struggling. What Nokia needed was a sure chance of a comback and that lay best with WP8 as opposed to the foray that is android.

I think this buy out by MS is a win win for both companies
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by LordReed(m): 4:05pm On Sep 03, 2013
texazzpete:

Why don't you read well yourself?! Licensing is not the same as buying.

The point is that MSFT could ruin the business with less than stellar handling whether they licensed or bought it. Besides if they could buy the devices unit how much more would it take to purchase the mapping unit? A unit that is barely out of its diapers in terms of market reach.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Bawss1(m): 4:10pm On Sep 03, 2013
^
Dude, Nokia's mapping unit is anything but "barely out of its diapers". Nobody beside Google has an offering that can compare to it.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:19pm On Sep 03, 2013
oftentimes i see very intelligent pple talk about nokia and i get mystified.

people actually think that its possible for samsung to compete with the company that made these phones?

NOBODY designs phones like Nokia. That in itself is differentiation. I dare anyone to tell us he would not take any of these phones if they were running android or IOS!!

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:20pm On Sep 03, 2013
more of the best designs ever.

just look at what Microsoft ruined

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by onegig(m): 4:21pm On Sep 03, 2013
4llerbuntu: more of the best designs ever.

just look at what Microsoft ruined

Nokia ruined itself not microsoft...

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:22pm On Sep 03, 2013
even more.... i feel like crying. Sad loss to the tech world

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:26pm On Sep 03, 2013
even the latest slabs were stellar. everyone loved it BUT for the OS.

Nokia dropped the ball i agree.
But i maintain that if they had diversified and got into the game running multiple OS, they would have cleaned off the market.

These guys had Africa, India and Europe markets in their hands. they had the distribution and they had the contacts. The mindshare was at maximum level. who was samsung when Nokia was in charge?

Samsung etc were like rank outsiders making cheap flimsy rubbish. every serious minded big boy bought a nokia. and they had every segment locked, from high end to low end.

sad.

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:30pm On Sep 03, 2013
even this. imagine the marketing this would get with say transformers or iron man tie in.

[size=18pt]AND THE BEST PHONE EVER!!! The beast itself. the N900. My very first geek-gasm device. choi!![/size]

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by onegig(m): 4:35pm On Sep 03, 2013
4llerbuntu: even the latest slabs were stellar. everyone loved it BUT for the OS.

Nokia dropped the ball i agree.
But i maintain that if they had diversified and got into the game running multiple OS, they would have cleaned off the market.

These guys had Africa, India and Europe markets in their hands. they had the distribution and they had the contacts. The mindshare was at maximum level. who was samsung when Nokia was in charge?

Samsung etc were like rank outsiders making cheap flimsy rubbish. every serious minded big boy bought a nokia. and they had every segment locked, from high end to low end.

sad.

Check the link about a post i made about nokia few days back.

https://www.nairaland.com/1381392/nokia-going-broke

They shot themselves in the leg when they pitched tent with windows os.

Imagine what nokia would have brought to the android world.

Versatility, battery life, camera, ruggedness and others....

But they choose the foolish part... I used to use a windows mobile 6.5.

Bluetooth transfers were so hard with those OBEX protocol or whatever microsoft named it.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by LordReed(m): 4:35pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bawss1: ^
Dude, Nokia's mapping unit is anything but "barely out of its diapers". Nobody beside Google has an offering that can compare to it.

I said in terms of market reach. Without market reach you don't have the clout and you don't have the big bucks.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by AnodaIT(m): 4:36pm On Sep 03, 2013
Dandy.:
I used to be a hardcore Nokia fanboy. I rocked their symbian days to the fullest.

But Android kept waxing stronger due to the flexibility and accessibility of the OS(core root access to crazy modders and flashers).
So when it became obvious WP8 won't be as much fun as Android is,like every other "techy" person,I had no choice than than to join the moving train by getting me a cool Sammy phone.Go figure :most symbian "gurus"-people that love tweaking and messing around with their phones(not those basic users that just call,text,or chat)are now rocking with Android because there's so much fun on it.Much more than in the symbian hey days.
DANDY.
Truest talk Brother.
With the versatility of Win OS and the then symbian, I expected Lumia with WP8 to be more like android but they disappointed me by making an over-coloured, over-GUI phone with virtually no file manager, you dont even know where your stuff are, they just waste their time grouping it under my pictures, my music, my this , my that. it is good and sleek for the ladies but not me. but it is much better than the big mp3 player that can browse called iPad.

4 Likes

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:38pm On Sep 03, 2013
If you cannot relate to this convo, you must have started buying phones in the last 2 years. DAMN!! those were the days.

I know 1 particular fellow back then, that dude bought EVERY SINGLE NOKIA SMARTPHONE EVER MADE. i swear to God.
1st time i told him about android, he laughed me to scorn. really laughed.

now he buys every samsung flagship cry cry cry cry
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:44pm On Sep 03, 2013
this one sold 160 million units

160 million The Nokia 3210 was a highly popular cellular phone, released in 1999. With 160 million units sold, the 3210 is one of the most popular and successful phones in history. - Wikipedia

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by LordReed(m): 4:44pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bawss1:

Those cases you cited are completely unrelated to this aquisition; Xbox losing the Bluray/HD battle didn't mean that the Xbox was a failed console, Zune was a music player that has seen elements of itself incorporated into WP8.

I never said Xbox failed. Read my post again I called Xbox MSFTs miracle success when it comes to hardware. Look again the Xbox is the only hardware MSFT has pushed with reasonable success (in the volumes we are talking about anyway). Zune failed whether it was incorporated into WP8 or not it is clearly not a hit.

Besides, in this instance the mobile phones will still be made by a bespoke OEM - Nokia.

As for the rest of your post: surely Nokia would have struggled under Android just as Sony, HTC and virtually every other OEM aside Samsung is struggling. What Nokia needed was a sure chance of a comback and that lay best with WP8 as opposed to the foray that is android.

I think this buy out by MS is a win win for both companies

4ller's post quite answers this. Nokia's marketing reach would have trumped Samsung big time. When did Sony or HTC or LG start making phones? Nokia has been in the market far longer and stronger than even Samsung.

My only hope is that MSFT can do an Xbox with this, anything else is disaster.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by zealed64: 4:47pm On Sep 03, 2013
OHHH..THE ALMIGHTY NOKIA HAS FALLEN!!...COMPETITION IS A BITCH!.. 98% of phone users in nigeria used a nokia phone..
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:50pm On Sep 03, 2013
I like how you people always talk this samsung "advertising" thing like it means anything. mcheew.

lemme give u a good example see this phone?

N82

It had xenon flash and takes better pictures than ANY HTC or Samsung device made till date.

you pple talk like everyone is simply dull and cannot identify quality

Im done. i'm going to mourn nokia with a few bottles. bye

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Bawss1(m): 4:52pm On Sep 03, 2013
Enough of this cry of doom. Nobody here has given solid reasons why this isn't a good move for Nokia.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Bawss1(m): 5:01pm On Sep 03, 2013
Lord_Reed:

I never said Xbox failed. Read my post again I called Xbox MSFTs miracle success when it comes to hardware. Look again the Xbox is the only hardware MSFT has pushed with reasonable success (in the volumes we are talking about anyway). Zune failed whether it was incorporated into WP8 or not it is clearly not a hit.

Erm, MS up until now was a SOFTWARE company so those brief excursions into the hardware world were unsurprisingly met with difficulties.

So you think that all it takes to survive in today's mobile space is the marketing reach that Nokia had built on an antiquated OS(Symbian). Sony is an electronics behemoth (and no, they didn't just start selling phones) with strong marketing reach yet even with Android things aren't rosy for them.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by LordReed(m): 5:03pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bawss1: Enough of this cry of doom. Nobody here has given solid reasons why this isn't a good move for Nokia.

I agree its all speculation now but given MSFTs track record for hardware and mobile devices it doesn't look very good. Look at the Surface is it really anything to write home about? Would you like to see it happen to the Nokia devices?
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by LordReed(m): 5:12pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bawss1:

Erm, MS up until now was a SOFTWARE company so those brief excursions into the hardware world were unsurprisingly met with difficulties.

So you think that all it takes to survive in today's mobile space is the marketing reach that Nokia had built on an antiquated OS(Symbian). Sony is an electronics behemoth (and no, they didn't just start selling phones) with strong marketing reach yet even with Android things aren't rosy for them.

LoL!

MSFT has been trying to make forays into hardware for a long time, way before the mobile market became what it is today. If all that experience did not benefit the Zune or the Surface what gives you confidence they'll succeed? Apple is primarily a design company but look at their success in the mobile sphere.

Abeg when did Sony start making phones that they want to make noise about? They even had to buy Ericsson's mobile business sef! Whatelse is pushing Samsung forward if not marketing? Are their devices the best? Arguably no! What Samsung has that Sony has lacked is the ability to capture the imagination (which is what marketing is about). Apple has it in bucket loads. Nokia had it bucket loads too. I remember the adverts for the Communicator when it first launched meen! It was like the best thing since sliced bread. Maybe you can't relate to Nokia's successful marketing in the past but I can and I'd say MSFT can't beat them at the game except of course MSFT has more money.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by LordReed(m): 5:29pm On Sep 03, 2013
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Bawss1(m): 5:33pm On Sep 03, 2013
Lord_Reed:

LoL!

MSFT has been trying to make forays into hardware for a long time, way before the mobile market became what it is today. If all that experience did not benefit the Zune or the Surface what gives you confidence they'll succeed? Apple is primarily a design company but look at their success in the mobile sphere.

What notable efforts had MS made in hardware before the smartphone era? And on a lesser note how is Apple primarily a design company?
The Surface is seeing lacklustre sales now but given some strategic pushes it will succeed in future iterations. Why do I say that? It offers users a full fledged PC experience on mobile,nobody is doing that yet. It is presently hampered by its bulky design, poor battery life and high cost. A slimmer, more power efficient model with one of those Intel 4th generation chips would be an easy sell for the enterprise crowd.

Anyways

Why am I optimistic about this recent acquisition?- the phones will be made by none other than the proven and talented guys from Finland thats why.

MS FTW smiley
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Bawss1(m): 5:34pm On Sep 03, 2013
Double post.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Abbott(m): 5:49pm On Sep 03, 2013
4ller Buntu,

I quite agree with you. Everything you wrote up there is so true. I still believe things will turn around for Nokia. However, if this is it, it will go down in time that Nokia did strode the mobile phone world gallantly and truimphantly and he is gone and no more.

I will hold out a bit more though.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by BodyKiss(m): 6:15pm On Sep 03, 2013
jedisco: Woke up to see this annoying headline.
And I was thinking Nokia was finally on the path to success.
Funny enough, I was thinking on getting a lumia but I guess I'm gonna jump ship to Samsung (Note III on my mind).
Goodbye Nokia

Following the bandwagon. You don't like Microsoft, yet you want to buy Nokia Lumia that is powered by Microsoft's Windows Phone OS.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by LordReed(m): 6:23pm On Sep 03, 2013
Bawss1:

What notable efforts had MS made in hardware before the smartphone era? And on a lesser note how is Apple primarily a design company?
The Surface is seeing lacklustre sales now but given some strategic pushes it will succeed in future iterations. Why do I say that? It offers users a full fledged PC experience on mobile,nobody is doing that yet. It is presently hampered by its bulky design, poor battery life and high cost. A slimmer, more power efficient model with one of those Intel 4th generation chips would be an easy sell for the enterprise crowd.

Anyways

Why am I optimistic about this recent acquisition?- the phones will be made by none other than the proven and talented guys from Finland thats why.

MS FTW smiley

Look at the link I posted earlier you have an idea of how early MSFT has had designs for the mobile market and tell me how many are big hits.

http://www.apple.com/designed-by-apple/

Apple doesn't manufacture they design software and hardware.

All those excuses are invalid given that they already know what customers want, an iPad killer.

Made by Nokia, marketed and powered by MSFT probably even designed by MSFT. Doesn't really inspire confidence.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by Smith5(m): 6:24pm On Sep 03, 2013
That is great thinkers.
Re: Microsoft To Buy Nokia Phone Unit by ibietela2(m): 6:28pm On Sep 03, 2013
AnodaIT:
Truest talk Brother.
With the versatility of Win OS and the then symbian, I expected Lumia with WP8 to be more like android but they disappointed me by making an over-coloured, over-GUI phone with virtually no file manager, you dont even know where your stuff are, they just waste their time grouping it under my pictures, my music, my this , my that. it is good and sleek for the ladies but not me. but it is much better than the big mp3 player that can browse called iPad .

Lol

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are The Mid-range Smartphones Getting Closer To Flagships? / Which Android Phone Camera Can Be Compared To Iphone Camera / Why Is BB Porsche That Expensive?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.