Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,224 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:23 AM

Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties (34264 Views)

Caption This Female Hairstyle / Nigerian Female Celebrities Wearing Native Outfits ( Photos ) / (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by albiol: 11:26am On Sep 05, 2013
One problem that has alys been with we africans is that we don't always appreciate what we have we always believe that what have be given by God is infrior to what others have. I just saw this article on dailymail showing pfotographs of nigerian hairstyles then by J.D. Okhai Ojeikere.

The photographer spent the Sixties and Seventies documenting the hairstyles of the women he encountered in his native Nigeria. He snapped over 1,000 photos of these complex coiffures, from subjects he found on the streets, in offices, and at wedding celebrations.

From dailymail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2411686/Gravity-defying-hairstyles-Sixties-Nigeria-photographer-J-D-Ojeikere.html

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by spookem(m): 11:45am On Sep 05, 2013
beautiful

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by ceosville(m): 11:54am On Sep 05, 2013
angry Where are all those girls who are Crazy for Brazilian Hair? See as this Chicks (Sorry, Awa Mama) are looking Pretty! You say you wan look like lion/goat? OYO for Una oh cheesy

12 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by albiol: 12:04pm On Sep 05, 2013
Architectural lines

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by RINE1: 12:11pm On Sep 05, 2013
Just one word 'awe'
...the days wen our ladies never loose their sanity for the white man's mentality.
****chuckles***

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 05, 2013
garri is cheap

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by okooloyun1(m): 4:08pm On Sep 05, 2013
Those days that people celebrate our black and beautiful culture are gone. Everything about our women now are nothing to write home about;
*fake skin colour; most naija babes wan yellow like Sexkillz by fire by force.
*fake hair; if some girls design their head with Brazilian hair you go think say nah gabbage dem carry for head.
*fake bossom; i even read on NL yesteday that one bossom implant bursted, padded bra never do them.
*fake nails; this is d reason y some naija babes cannot give you mouth action without sratching ur balls.
*fake nyashh; hope one buttt no go burst like dat boobb someday
*fake accent; hmmm...... Make i no even talk dis one.
*fake food; "if you marry most naija ladies especially S/W ladies na concotion rice or noodles she go take kill you" just few naija babes fit pound yam.
Looking at those natural well plaited hair especially dat no3 wey be like 2face African queen, i swear! My gbola don dey rise.
"TEAM NATURAL BLACK N BEATIFUL GIRLS FOR LIFE"

30 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 05, 2013
Days when virgins full ground.. you go see omoluabi marry cry

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by YoshiMaster: 4:09pm On Sep 05, 2013
I am afraid of looking at some of these hair styles, dont wanna turn to stone.

Medusa tinz!

5 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by gluv01(f): 4:11pm On Sep 05, 2013
Well, thank God I wasn't given birth to in 'those days' grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by OmoAlata1(f): 4:11pm On Sep 05, 2013
how do they sleep at night?

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by passionate88: 4:11pm On Sep 05, 2013
No simbi?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 05, 2013
My aunt used to do puff puff on my hair when I was little. What is the name of the first & fourth hairstyle in yoruba ...or what do pple call them in Naija? Anyone know?
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by liyalla(m): 4:12pm On Sep 05, 2013
The style like a crown is like a dream of d future d stylist had, its made with beds nd oda precious stones in the 20s I wonder wat will be in d next 30yrs .keep dreaming wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 05, 2013
edit

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by passionate88: 4:13pm On Sep 05, 2013
scipher: Days when virgins full ground.. you go see omoluabi marry cry
eyah, no cry again. Sm still remain for ground. U need to search wit ur eyes open, bt u need to deserve am b4 u fit get am

3 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by ifedayogal(f): 4:13pm On Sep 05, 2013
I cnt imagine dat on me.....its cute tho
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by biolabee(m): 4:13pm On Sep 05, 2013
lovely hairstyles, shame our women are ashamed of their natural hair and feel the need to upgrade with other races' hairs

10 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Haircut(m): 4:13pm On Sep 05, 2013
Fantastic!
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by lifestyle1(m): 4:14pm On Sep 05, 2013
Better than brazilian hair! cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by nkpommpko(m): 4:14pm On Sep 05, 2013
And the hair was very natural with good smell, clean and cost effective
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by passionate88: 4:14pm On Sep 05, 2013
ceosville: angry Where are all those girls who are Crazy for Brazilian Hair? See as this Chicks (Sorry, Awa Mama) are looking Pretty! You say you wan look like lion/goat? OYO for Una oh cheesy
u see person back head u dn conclude say im fine, ur eye na see through eye

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by dareyking(m): 4:14pm On Sep 05, 2013
When i saw those Crazy Hair Styles i was puzzled and i asked myself what happen to these Wonderful Heritage of Our's and mind u Weaveon,Brazilian ish cn neva match up with this Wonderful Piece of Art....Darelee Nairalee..
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by olanrewajumi(m): 4:15pm On Sep 05, 2013
ceosville: angry Where are all those girls who are Crazy for Brazilian Hair? See as this Chicks (Sorry, Awa Mama) are looking Pretty! You say you wan look like lion/goat? OYO for Una oh cheesy
how do you know they are pretty..were you able to see there face?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by kreamidiva(f): 4:15pm On Sep 05, 2013
I'm making one of them one of these days. Someone needs to re-introduce it. tongue

Meanwhile,all these guys wey dey this thread dey talk anyhow will go after a lady with brazilian hair and call anyone wearing these other hairstyles mgbeke or village girl. If u guys like it,ask your girlfriends to make it make we see wetin go happen kiss

20 Likes

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by olanrewajumi(m): 4:16pm On Sep 05, 2013
how do you know they are pretty..were you able to see there faces?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by manyathink(f): 4:16pm On Sep 05, 2013
hw many of our hairstylist can make these styles. when you go to the salon and bring out ordinary tread them go dey look u like serious old skool. just passing sha
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Egbagirl(f): 4:16pm On Sep 05, 2013
I like the second one. Honestly, I think these styles are very creative. I'm not sure I would rock the first one but they are def creative.
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by xynerise: 4:16pm On Sep 05, 2013
My deeper-life sisters still live in the 60s grin
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by Lakayanah: 4:16pm On Sep 05, 2013
The shuku with the cone is so fine I will definitely do it. Some of the styles would be very fashionable for deeper life convention.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by passionate88: 4:17pm On Sep 05, 2013
biolabee: lovely hairstyles, shame our women are ashamed of their natural hair and feel the need to upgrade with other races' hairs
Mr. Biola, some of these hair the women add thread o, I remember when my mama plait her own for 1975, na there I see am
Re: Nigerian Female Hairstyle In The Sixties by baby124: 4:17pm On Sep 05, 2013
I did this thread hair. How is that 60's. cheesy. But now everybody eye don red. We are now oyinbo with foreign accent. "Excuse me" * Flips Brazilian hair while sipping on champagne*

[img]http://www.nairaland.com/attachments/1290358_article-2411686-1B9EE32F000005DC-432_634x595_jpg918c6a9975d9a16d7e4aaf5a0df718b1[/img]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Meet The Queen Of Aso Nigeria 2015 Contestants- Photos / Mr And Miss Nigeria International 2016 Finalist In Their Tradition Attires / Worm-infested Weaves Now In The Market

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.