Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,246 members, 7,822,272 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:16 AM

Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines - Science/Technology (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines (23948 Views)

The Lion Killed In Jos Was Used As Meat (see Pic Of Men Cutting It) / Jos Wildlife Park Lion Killed {picture} / Woman Kisses Two Lions In South Africa (VIDEO And Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by Nobody: 1:31pm On Sep 23, 2013
solomon111: Do you know that some east-african countries sustain their economy on tourism?
guess which animal people want to see the most.
LIONS.
so we should put our life at risk because of some oyinbo tourists? Please I'm ready to give them the remaining one they should go with them and visit them over there nonsense. Why did they(onyibo) kill all the wolves? We want roads and infrastructures .Africa is not a zoo .where we are supposed to maintain the wildlife and slow down our development . Go check our Brazilian are cutting the Amazonian forest daily? Yet they will come and tell u that u shouldn't cut trees or u should preserve your forest.
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by wonlasewonimi: 1:33pm On Sep 23, 2013
If they become extinct, the FG would go and get the stuffed toy ones and put in the zoo to represent real ones. Shebi one zoo in Asia used a hairy dog as a replacement.
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by Nobody: 1:33pm On Sep 23, 2013
No wonda natgeo wild doesn't show biq cats much dz days
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by Nikapetrelli(f): 1:43pm On Sep 23, 2013
runzlord: 34? Re u kidding? The last tyme i checked we have 36 states so that mean 2 states dont have a lion. Hmmmm i suspect enugu and kogi
Ur comment jst made my day in nairaland,can't stop laughing
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by banky222: 1:46pm On Sep 23, 2013
olrotimi: No no no i bluntly disagree as Nigeria is neva right with statistics. 34 isnt a large number so Yohanna Saidu cld as well have listed out the reservs where these lions are. 6-8 in UI, 3-4 in Unilorin that i knw of plus those in other Universities zoo plus those in Borgu, Yankari, Obudu, Jos & in the wild. I dare say we have over a hundred lions though its a worrisome trend that they are fast going extinct
The 34 lions referred to are the ones left in the wild excluding those in captivity. I don't think there's any zoo in nigeria without lions . Even aso rock have some.
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by walata2011(m): 1:46pm On Sep 23, 2013
Screwface: I hope they counted the ones in the University Of Ibadan zoo? I saw about 4-6 of them two weeks ago when I went sight-seeing, and oh boy, I almost wet my trousies with my urinecheesycheesy
Those faces are not just mean, they are MEANgrin
I saw 4 of them two weeks ago that i visited UI zoo too, though they were just sleeping and refused to give us some display.
May be they were angry that the numbers are reducing too. Poachers better watch out.
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by ALEXIS0240: 1:47pm On Sep 23, 2013
The last time i visited makurdi zoo,i saw lions eating big balls Akpu & bitter leaf soup...make una reason am why their numbers no go drop.
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by solomon111(m): 1:47pm On Sep 23, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: so we should put our life at risk because of some oyinbo tourists? Please I'm ready to give them the remaining one they should go with them and visit them over there nonsense. Why did they(onyibo) kill all the wolves? We want roads and infrastructures .Africa is not a zoo .where we are supposed to maintain the wildlife and slow down our development . Go check our Brazilian are cutting the Amazonian forest daily? Yet they will come and tell u that u shouldn't cut trees or u should preserve your forest.
Very well then,kindly poach whatever lions you can get in cameroon and send them to any game reserves or university in Nigeria.
I am sure they would reward you handsomely.
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by dipcoke: 1:48pm On Sep 23, 2013
Pastor Kun: The West African lion is on the verge of extinction, according to experts after a marked decline in recent years.

It is estimated that there are just 645 genetically distinct wild lions left in western and central Africa, with as few as 34 remaining in the whole of Nigeria.

Now experts from conservation group LionAid say they are ‘in real danger of extinction’.

According to the group, there are no lions left in 25 African countries and populations are barely surviving in ten.

Clusters of lions remain in Burkina Faso, Niger, the Central African Republic, Cameroon and Chad but are already extinct in countries such as Ghana, The Ivory Coast and Togo.

Thirty years ago there were 200,000 lions roaming wild across the continent – but now there are only between 15,000 and 32,000 left.

West African lions have been largely forgotten due to political apathy to conservation.

Dr Pieter Kat, trustee of LionAid, told The Guardian: ‘There has been a catastrophic decline in the populations of lions in Africa, and particularly west Africa.

‘These lions have been neglected for a very long time and do not have adequate protection programs.’

He said the west of the continent is often ignored in favour of eastern Africa, leading to a decline in species.

The lion is threatened by a range of factors, including loss of habitat, loss of natural prey due to poaching, ‘unsustainable levels of trophy hunting’ and human conflict.

A new threat is also on the rise as lion bones are being used to supply the demands of Asian traditional medicine and tiger bones become scarce.

In Nigeria, a government wildlife official told The Guardian that the number of lions in the country had dropped from 44 in 2009 to a meager of 34.

Yohanna Saidu from Nigeria’s interior ministry told the newspaper, they are trying to protect the lions but admitted to being ‘very concerned’.

Dr Kat said it would now be impossible to build up a population of lions in Nigeria and therefore the species should be classed as extinct as well.

The picture is similar in other countries. In Senegal, the LionAid said there are just 40 lions left.

The charity said there are only five ‘viable’ populations – those of 1,000 or more – lions left in the continent.

Three of those are found in Tanzania and Kenya, with the remaining populations surviving in South Africa and Botswana and Zimbabwe.

Recent studies on African lion populations’ show that about three-quarters of Africa’s savannah has disappeared over the past 50 years.

Conservationists say it is not possible to individually count every lion in the continent, so estimates on remaining population numbers vary.

However experts do agree the plight of the African lion is ‘very serious’ and want the animal to be included on the convention on international trade in endangered species list.

Inclusion would mean tight protection on hunting and trade, especially important as more than 5,600 wild African lions were hunted and exported as trophies between 1999 and 2008.

However, conservationists say they face strong opposition from the pro-hunting lobby.

Dr Kat said: ‘We are currently paying lip service to the conservation needs of a specie which is so greatly important to our cultures, history, and indeed the health of wildlife biodiversity in Africa.

‘Lions are not only an iconic species important to very many people all over the world, but they are also a vital component of African ecosystems.’

Culled from Dailymail.co.uk

source: http://www.channelstv.com/home/2013/01/10/just-34-lions-are-left-in-nigeria-as-west-african-lion-population-declines/
Federal Allocation should be shared according to Lion in a State to encourage preservation.

1 Like

Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by deebrain(m): 1:48pm On Sep 23, 2013
cheesy (gives a sigh of relieve ) the less of dangerous animals we have, the better. Hunters, kill them all!! angry
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by Josh316(m): 1:48pm On Sep 23, 2013
runzlord: 34? Re u kidding? The last tyme i checked we have 36 states so that mean 2 states dont have a lion. Hmmmm i suspect enugu and kogi

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I was thinking of Borno and Yobe... they might have 'bombed' the lions to death
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by banky222: 1:48pm On Sep 23, 2013
Watch out. CHINESS LIONS to take over.
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by ALEXIS0240: 1:48pm On Sep 23, 2013
The last time i visited makurdi zoo,i saw lions eating big balls of Akpu & bitter leaf soup...make una reason am why their numbers no go drop...
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by eluquenson(m): 1:49pm On Sep 23, 2013
This report has isolated all the Leopards & Hyenas we have at Aso Rock Abuja, they are very much there.
Please, let's do the statistics
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by emmabest2000(m): 1:50pm On Sep 23, 2013
Lol
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by Burger01(m): 1:53pm On Sep 23, 2013
People are dying in Kenya and you're talking about lion.. Mtcheew. Lion ko.. kiniwun ni..

angry
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by PaulSteve: 1:56pm On Sep 23, 2013
And I beg how many snakes remain? Cos these lions own no be matter of concern..
Also,how many thief thief polithiefcians remain too?
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by Austeenxx: 1:57pm On Sep 23, 2013
I don't care, I love it!
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by IGBOSON1: 2:03pm On Sep 23, 2013
Akshow: we have never been animal lover so i guess they won't be missed if they finally go into extinct. for the few that love animal, they can take a trip to east africa to see dem grin

If not for the thriving tourist industry in east and south africa they would have been in the same situation as us in west Africa!

Those 'animal lovers' in Nigeria that you speak of are mostly wealthy, and they're in the minority! Persin never chop belle-full you come dey talk of conservation! Any lucky Lion that somehow managed to survive in the wild in Nigeria (esp' in the south with our insatiable appetite for pepper soup tinzs) had better carry on staying beneath the radar if it knows what's good for it!
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by texbaba1: 2:04pm On Sep 23, 2013
34? Re u kidding? The last tyme i checked we have 36 states so that mean 2 states dont have a lion. Hmmmm i suspect enugu and kogi

grin grin grin
O lord my God! This guy u don craze I swear...loooolz
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by geesilver(m): 2:08pm On Sep 23, 2013
Me ℓ̊ N̶̲̥̅̊O dey play with wild animal o.
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by MrAboki: 2:08pm On Sep 23, 2013
You mean say we still get reach 34 Lion for Naija..

Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by MrAboki: 2:10pm On Sep 23, 2013
tex baba: 34? Re u kidding? The last tyme i checked we have 36 states so that mean 2 states dont have a lion. Hmmmm i suspect enugu and kogi

grin grin grin
O lord my God! This guy u don craze I swear...loooolz

Taaaa!!

Enugu get Lion.. Thats why some people there na 'Obi Agu".. Na Bayelsa and Borno no get..

Thats why Jonathan na Ju-man & Boko don pursue the last LIon for Borno.
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by Nobody: 2:10pm On Sep 23, 2013
and even if we have 600 lions in nigeria how will that have positive effect on the country?how will that make poverty,un-employment,and some others to become a thing of the past?need a reasonable answer please,because at the END some of you may not understand that at this TIME in this country the amount of lions we have is not what matters but the bad THINGS that is going on in the country
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by amtalkin(f): 2:23pm On Sep 23, 2013
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by amtalkin(f): 2:23pm On Sep 23, 2013
I love lions.....
why lions wish it was snakes
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by trappatoni(m): 2:29pm On Sep 23, 2013
Afrobasic:

Sarcasm or retardation?
Both!
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by MrCork: 2:30pm On Sep 23, 2013
..u people eat the lions ther in Nigeria...dont u people hav Zoo? angry
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by Nobody: 2:31pm On Sep 23, 2013
am talkin: I love lions.....
why lions wish it was snakes
unfortunately they don't love u
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by oxygen47: 2:32pm On Sep 23, 2013
Wats dis lion issue about?
If ur worried dat d lions are decreasing, buy one and keep in ur backyard or bedroom
I think d number we have is fair and d chances dat dey can reproduce are high
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by olatiler(m): 2:33pm On Sep 23, 2013
Okay oooooooooo 30 of those Lion must be Slaughter for special delegate that will attend our 53rd Independent in this coming October 1st while the remaining will be kill after may 2015 when we have fall Almighty PDP in this our great country
After all Lion is Not Friendly so we could replace them with China Dog that resembling Lion, the type CNN recently review at one of China Zoo
Re: Just 34 Lions Are Left In Nigeria As West African Lion Population Declines by Jayclinics(m): 2:34pm On Sep 23, 2013
Nikapetrelli: Ur comment jst made my day in nairaland,can't stop laughing
lol.......some dudes are really armed with funny yarns to the teeth, still laughing and banging my big head on the wall

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Scientists Discover New Frog Species That Coughs And Groans (pic) / Bitcoiner Implants Lightning Chip To Make BTC Payments By Hand (Pix) / Homebuilt Radio Control Airplane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.