Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,927 members, 7,835,096 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:58 AM

Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? (8328 Views)

Economies And Corporations Around The World Explained Humorously Using Cows / 10 Evil Corporations Nigerians Patronize Everyday / Do Corporations Have Immunity For Crimes Against Humanity? - Niger Delta Case (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Judas2013: 1:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
Afam4eva: I have been to a lot of government parastatals, from NITEL to NEPA to NPF to WAEC to Immigration office and the story is the same. Their staff have a very bad customer service. These people have no regard for human beings. They just speak to people anyhow they like like they own the person's life. There was a day i went to passport office and the way they talked to me, made my self-esteem to drop. Those people are very wicked and bitter lot.

I've always wondered why they're like this. I can understand the NPF to some extent because they're not well paid but i don't think staff of other government parastatls are badly paid. So, what's the source of their bitterness?

One thing Nigerians ( i mean all Nigerians) need to learn is customer Service. Go to the bank too,even on telephone they are the worst things you could ever speak to . Even on Nairaland angry
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Lilimax(f): 1:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
Akamu and Stew: See who is complaining...

Go to the complaint thread and tell us why you and Sexkid are rude and disrespectful. I wonder how you guys will behave if you're in an office.

Thank God for my Nairaland "Jesus".....Mukina2

grin grin
You're mixing things up smiley shocked.
There are differences between being rude and being firm... sad
You should say they are firm and not rude undecided grin
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Mrniceguyjohn(m): 1:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
wen i wake up in the morning i say my prayer to thy lord
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Olamira(f): 1:02pm On Sep 13, 2013
Most Nigerians are naturally aggressive.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Nobody: 1:02pm On Sep 13, 2013
Rudeness and hostility have become a culture in most Nigerian government parastatals, and sadly, most new employees embrace this sick culture once they've worked there for a while. I believe it's because of a combination of factors, including: a lack of accountability (most importantly), a lack of professionalism, greed, frustration (due to poor working conditions), and a desire to 'fit-in'.

I remember that during my nysc year, even the youth corper in my batch who worked in the LGI office had a change in attitude as time went on. He became quite cocky and rude.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by DICKtator: 1:03pm On Sep 13, 2013
Afam4eva: I have been to a lot of government parastatals, from NITEL to NEPA to NPF to WAEC to Immigration office and the story is the same. Their staff have a very bad customer service. These people have no regard for human beings. They just speak to people anyhow they like like they own the person's life. There was a day i went to passport office and the way they talked to me, made my self-esteem to drop. Those people are very wicked and bitter lot.

I've always wondered why they're like this. I can understand the NPF to some extent because they're not well paid but i don't think staff of other government parastatls are badly paid. So, what's the source of their bitterness?

what are you looking for in all government parastatals? ARE YOU AN UNDERCOVER JOURNALIST? Which one is passport Office? Is it immigration office? You want to travel out? To your much hated U.K.? Or is it Kenya?

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by mikolo80: 1:03pm On Sep 13, 2013
COS THEY THINK YOU CANT DO SHITT ABOUT IT. MIGHT IS RIGHT BABY
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by DICKtator: 1:04pm On Sep 13, 2013
Judas2013:

One thing Nigerians ( i mean all Nigerians) need to learn is customer Service. Go to the bank too,even on telephone they are the worst things you could ever speak to . Even on Nairaland angry

Show me the statistics for your claim(s) or simply refute this statement of yours!!!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Arsenate(m): 1:06pm On Sep 13, 2013
Because they know their jobs are always safe and secured.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by DICKtator: 1:06pm On Sep 13, 2013
Olamira: Most Nigerians are naturally aggressive.

Show me the statistics to back up your claim that MOST Nigerians are aggressive before i pinch your big cheeks!!!!!

emmm,........................., i sounded aggressive?

huh? WTF?

..................................................................................................................

grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by 1forall: 1:08pm On Sep 13, 2013
Nig govt agencies are not setup to make profit because they don't stop getting money from the government budget to spend thus they're not motivated to be accountable for anything. And even government's annual budget is prepared without taking the monies generated by these agencies into consideration; no forecasts nor projections, so the govt itself couldn't care less how they're run and consequently, everyone in the chain is more or lesss accountable to themselves.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Okontami: 1:08pm On Sep 13, 2013
I really wonder why a lot of these government corporations cant be privatized . Even the local governments should be privatized . There is no accountability. Guys just go to work in the morning and come back in the evening without really adding real value. Its so sad that there are no objective KPIs. The customer interaction is so poor. There is no sense of responsibility to the end customer. I have worked in private firms all my life and i see the way we are being driven to perform beyond our perceived ability. This is not the case in government agencies. I feel so sorry for this country. All they do is to see ways they can reap the public off, yet they will be saying the country is bad..

1 Like

Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by DarryOsh(m): 1:10pm On Sep 13, 2013

I thought i was the only one who noticed. Its so terrible. You walk into a private establishment and they treat u like a king. You walk into a govt-owned establishment and they treat you poorly. I think the reason they can afford to do so is because Govt jobs are so secure. Nobody can query them. Its almost not possible for them to get sacked. The worst thing is that if you try to insist on your right to be treated well, they wil do all in their power to frustrate you. I guess Nigerians are like that. We like to feel powerful; you know that "i can do and undo" mindset. So, in the little area we control we flex our muscles as much as we can. Its so sad. Virtually all Govt establishments are like that. Police treats you like trash. To enter your lecturer's office in school, you must have prayed for God to to give you favour in his sight. You actually beg lecturers to come to class. If they enter the class and there is no marker, they get angry and promise never to come to your class.

Public hospitals are another story entirely. You begin to wonder...are health workers not supposed to be the most caring people? It used to frustrate me until i learned never to expect them to treat me well .

At least i am mentally prepared to meet a receptionist who doesnt reply when i greet, chews gum in that slutty manner, looks at me from head to toe and pretend not to see me. then she delays me for one hour for no reason and then tells me the person who is supposed to attend to me is not around. then she says, "if you have airtime on your phone, i can cal him for you". After i let her use my phone, the pot-bellied dude who is suppose to attend to me but was AWOL strolls in laughing like he just won a lottery, a toothpick in his mouth. He goes around the office greeting everyone and when he finaly has my time, he declares that "we cant find the stamp with which your document wil be stamped. It should be in Mr Ojo's office and he didnt come to the office today. His neighbour's daughter is "doin her freedom" as a hairdresser.

NB: the above scenario is just fictional, but i have experienced worse

I must say thought that last week when i went to get my national ID card, the peepz there surprised me with their level of professionalism.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Goke7: 1:16pm On Sep 13, 2013
DarryOsh:

I thought i was the only one who noticed. Its so terrible. You walk into a private establishment and they treat u like a king. You walk into a govt-owned establishment and they treat you poorly. I think the reason they can afford to do so is because Govt jobs are so secure. Nobody can query them. Its almost not possible for them to get sacked. The worst thing is that if you try to insist on your right to be treated well, they wil do all in their power to frustrate you. I guess Nigerians are like that. We like to feel powerful; you know that "i can do and undo" mindset. So, in the little area we control we flex our muscles as much as we can. Its so sad. Virtually all Govt establishments are like that. Police treats you like trash. To enter your lecturer's office in school, you must have prayed for God to to give you favour in his sight. You actually beg lecturers to come to class. If they enter the class and there is no marker, they get angry and promise never to come to your class.

Public hospitals are another story entirely. You begin to wonder...are health workers not supposed to be the most caring people? It used to frustrate me until i learned never to expect them to treat me well .

At least i am mentally prepared to meet a receptionist who doesnt reply when i greet, chews gum in that slutty manner, looks at me from head to toe and pretend not to see me. then she delays me for one hour for no reason and then tells me the person who is supposed to attend to me is not around. then she says, "if you have airtime on your phone, i can cal him for you". After i let her use my phone, the pot-bellied dude who is suppose to attend to me but was AWOL strolls in laughing like he just won a lottery, a toothpick in his mouth. He goes around the office greeting everyone and when he finaly has my time, he declares that "we cant find the stamp with which your document wil be stamped. It should be in Mr Ojo's office and he didnt come to the office today. His neighbour's daughter is "doin her freedom" as a hairdresser.

NB: the above scenario is just fictional, but i have experienced worse

I must say thought that last week when i went to get my national ID card, the peepz there surprised me with their level of professionalism.

well said, in addition, 'Government business is nobody's business' I heard this from an Ex governor of a state. The summary is that there is no sense of responsibility and accountability. They do whatever they like, even the Oga at the top cannot fire you, their jobs are so secure.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by LeoSanchez(m): 1:26pm On Sep 13, 2013
[b][/b] YOU MAY CHOOSE TO AGREE WITH ME OR NOT BUT I THINK THE GOVERNMENT WORKERS OF NIGERIA ARE RUDE BECAUSE;
1. they are just like wet fire wood. dey dont get to be burnt just get to feel the heat of the flame.
Meaning they feel dey work for this lots n loads of money but they dont get to rip from it.
hey we are humans.. we tend to be disappointed when we dont get what we feel we deserve.
2. their value in that orgnization is just about the amount of the little cash they get as salary..
They are intimidated by you the customer. so tend to be rude.
and
3. i feel when the head is useless the whole body will be rendered useless..
The public firm progress more than the government because of their management ability,
the government organizations dont progress because the top boses re not productive.. that is just the honest truth. they dwell on speech instead or production. SMH.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by missystephen: 1:26pm On Sep 13, 2013
Why won't they be rude? No professionalism, misplaced career ( a engineer working with immigration). All they know is to report to office by 10.am, sit around some wraps of groundnuts and biscuits, argue over some political issues, gossip and retire before or at 4.pm on the dot. So when you visit such parastatal, they feel distracted as your demand is not a norm. They feel cool being idle, yet collecting salaries,arrears and threaten govt with strikes. Yipeeeee! Very soon PHCN will not be climbing this electricity pole to disconnect us. So shall it be with other non performing parastatals, they all wil be privatized some day.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by omonnakoda: 1:28pm On Sep 13, 2013
Good question,why are moderators on Nairaland so rude and pompous?
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by DarryOsh(m): 1:31pm On Sep 13, 2013
Goke7:

well said, in addition, 'Government business is nobody's business' I heard this from an Ex governor of a state. The summary is that there is no sense of responsibility and accountability. They do whatever they like, even the Oga at the top cannot fire you, their jobs are so secure.

Inasmuch as that is true, as humans, treating one another with respect should not even be a big deal. i mean, you dont loose anything by being nice, giving a smile... I hate it when someone tries to make me grovel for what should be my right (I experienced lots of those in Uni). But like i said, i have come to expect nothing better...i would not let anyone spoil my day. I particularly love this quote by LOUIS AMSTRONG: "If you dont treat me right, shame on you"

And you are right bout the ogas at the top not being able to do anything. Its not surprising. They are gulilty of the same things.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by missystephen: 1:35pm On Sep 13, 2013
[quote author=omonnakoda]Good question,why are moderators on Nairaland so rude and pompous?[/quot. Lol
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by DisGuy: 1:38pm On Sep 13, 2013
perhaps they need the police treatment

Maybe people should start exposing their attitude online!! Video!!
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by flyingdutchman(m): 1:38pm On Sep 13, 2013
i think it has to do with the level of exposure of the people working there and the kind of mentorship they had. Where i work, one of my superiors has a smooth, logical way of relating with clients, some of us try to sound and behave like him
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by hippyzuki(f): 1:39pm On Sep 13, 2013
Trust me all the government staff are not half as rude as uniben non academic staff. If those people talk to you finish u go go fall for river Niger.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Nobody: 1:39pm On Sep 13, 2013
Lilimax:
You're mixing things up smiley shocked.
There are differences between being rude and being firm... sad
You should say they are firm and not rude undecided grin
what do u mean by "they are firm"? do u mean as in under? grin grin grin sure Mukina cant be "firm" under now, she has to be "soft and succulent" under grin
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by yunafa(f): 1:41pm On Sep 13, 2013
a good number of civil servants are bitter, uncouth and have no regards for human life. the level of betrayal, boot licking, psychophancy is on another level totally and they always feel they are being witch hunted by their colleagues(senior, same level, subordinates) and as such always have to watch their backs cos scheming is the order of the day...they now transfer this to visitors.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Ogash: 1:44pm On Sep 13, 2013
I ve witnessd this so many tyms,wher u go 2 an office in a gov corporatn nd d man in d office wudnt even answer ur salutatns.....wen he finally did,it wud be in a harsh tone...though mst of dem re underpaid,being owed...or even do nt lyk their jobs......but 4 God's sake hw cud u be doin a job u re happy in?....i tink gov shud be organisin seminars for its staff on customer relatn...*dats my 2 kwachas though*
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by PStacks(m): 1:44pm On Sep 13, 2013
Don't you know in Nigeria, Govt work is nobody's job. U don't even care weda the client comes back again not to talk of good customer care..

Govt hospitals, the doctors are there on govt payrole but prefer to refer people to their private clinics all around town and there u get what u can't get in govt hospitals, not because these private clinics are better than govt clinics but because govt's work is nobody's work hence the "I Don't care" attitude. Everybody is just out to grab as much as possible from the National cake..

Its Either Nigeria should be Privatised or the Military should take over.. Either of the 2 is ok by me.

Private business run solely on Profit maximization and cost reduction with impeccable customer service and satisfaction.

The Nigerian project deteriorates everyday and yet we still Hope.

One day sha!
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by dgitrader(m): 1:50pm On Sep 13, 2013
its very common in government offices, but even in some private ones too. the problem is widespread frustration amoung workers. most people are not excited or energised about their jobs. the root is in our educational system, we just follow trend and not talent/passion.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by anonimi: 1:58pm On Sep 13, 2013
Because they are paid peanuts COMPARED to the many political office holders and their numerous political JOBBERS who do practically nothing.
Can you imagine that a councillor in the LGA receives at least 250k monthly.

- What is his qualification?
- What is his output?

- What is the salary of a Level 8 officer, who is normally a graduate.
- Even states like Osun "empower" graduates at miserable 8k per month and the mumus that he leads still praise the governor to high heavens.

That is not how it was in Nigeria prior to the 70s and definitely not how it is in western Europe, US and Canada where our able bodied men & women are rushing to by hook & crook even crossing the desert and risking the ocean to become socio-economic EXILES.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by LEXYCOM: 2:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
Have u tried those teaching hospital attendance....my God, they are so rude...
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by deocakes(f): 2:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
1forall: Nig govt agencies are not setup to make profit because they don't stop getting money from the government budget to spend thus they're not motivated to be accountable for anything. And even government's annual budget is prepared without taking the monies generated by these agencies into consideration; no forecasts nor projections, so the govt itself couldn't care less how they're run and consequently, everyone in the chain is more or lesss accountable to themselves.

One of the most intelligent posts I have come across on Nairaland forum.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Nobody: 2:04pm On Sep 13, 2013
Well I think we suld not just blame dose govt workers only, we suld simply blame every single citizens of these country! I was recently at d state ministry of land and survey in Jos and I impressed wt d way I was attendd to; d guy wu generatd one numba fo me n d computer kept apologising fo d slow netwok, even though it was nt his fault nd d person dat ws to be my handler ws so nice dt I startd tnkng he may be preparng grond fo "somethng".
I ws n a private hospital and I ws not hapy wt there service so I moved to JUTH(in Jos), there I met nice nurses, doctors and others!
The difference between private nd goverment things is d level of work, if we take the hospitals fo instance, because d govt hospitals are cheaper you alwys have hell of a crowd there and the crowd always behave unruly; ask them to line-up, they will neva do it as everybody wants to be serviced at the sametime! as a result of the unruly behavior of the clients the staff do break too!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

XENOPHOBIC ATTACK: South African Policemen Smile At A Burning Victim (PHOTO) / NURTW: Averting Fresh Violence In Lagos - Punch Editorial / Pictures Of Amazon Tribes Who Live In The Forest For 600 Years. They're Unclad.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.