Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,508 members, 7,830,522 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:21 AM

Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? (8320 Views)

Economies And Corporations Around The World Explained Humorously Using Cows / 10 Evil Corporations Nigerians Patronize Everyday / Do Corporations Have Immunity For Crimes Against Humanity? - Niger Delta Case (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by anonimi: 2:09pm On Sep 13, 2013
1forall: Nig govt agencies are not setup to make profit because they don't stop getting money from the government budget to spend thus they're not motivated to be accountable for anything. And even government's annual budget is prepared without taking the monies generated by these agencies into consideration; no forecasts nor projections, so the govt itself couldn't care less how they're run and consequently, everyone in the chain is more or lesss accountable to themselves.

Do you know any country in this world whose government agencies are "set up to make profit"
A short list will do.
Thanks.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by deocakes(f): 2:13pm On Sep 13, 2013
DarryOsh:

I thought i was the only one who noticed. Its so terrible. You walk into a private establishment and they treat u like a king. You walk into a govt-owned establishment and they treat you poorly. I think the reason they can afford to do so is because Govt jobs are so secure. Nobody can query them. Its almost not possible for them to get sacked. The worst thing is that if you try to insist on your right to be treated well, they wil do all in their power to frustrate you. I guess Nigerians are like that. We like to feel powerful; you know that "i can do and undo" mindset. So, in the little area we control we flex our muscles as much as we can. Its so sad. Virtually all Govt establishments are like that. Police treats you like trash. To enter your lecturer's office in school, you must have prayed for God to to give you favour in his sight. You actually beg lecturers to come to class. If they enter the class and there is no marker, they get angry and promise never to come to your class.

Public hospitals are another story entirely. You begin to wonder...are health workers not supposed to be the most caring people? It used to frustrate me until i learned never to expect them to treat me well .

At least i am mentally prepared to meet a receptionist who doesnt reply when i greet, chews gum in that slutty manner, looks at me from head to toe and pretend not to see me. then she delays me for one hour for no reason and then tells me the person who is supposed to attend to me is not around. then she says, "if you have airtime on your phone, i can cal him for you". After i let her use my phone, the pot-bellied dude who is suppose to attend to me but was AWOL strolls in laughing like he just won a lottery, a toothpick in his mouth. He goes around the office greeting everyone and when he finaly has my time, he declares that "we cant find the stamp with which your document wil be stamped. It should be in Mr Ojo's office and he didnt come to the office today. His neighbour's daughter is "doin her freedom" as a hairdresser.

NB: the above scenario is just fictional, but i have experienced worse

I must say thought that last week when i went to get my national ID card, the peepz there surprised me with their level of professionalism.

O'l boyyyeeee, u funny die

1 Like

Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Nobody: 2:14pm On Sep 13, 2013
It is not a Nigerian thing . Most government workers are rude everywhere
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by deocakes(f): 2:15pm On Sep 13, 2013
hippyzuki: Trust me all the government staff are not half as rude as uniben non academic staff. If those people talk to you finish u go go fall for river Niger.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA.
Ohhhhh UNIBEN my great alma mater.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by superboi(m): 2:21pm On Sep 13, 2013
Judas2013:

One thing Nigerians ( i mean all Nigerians) need to learn is customer Service. Go to the bank too,even on telephone they are the worst things you could ever speak to . Even on Nairaland angry

I Agree with you, It is not only Government Agencies that you get poor personal relation skill by staff (notice I did not use customer) it is a national syndrome. A lot of Nigerian have poor Human skills and that is why we have a lot of issue that we have in the country. Drive on the road, stay on a queue and in other similar situations, you would see people blatantly disregarding their fellow country men for no reason.
Why do you expect this people to all of a sudden give you a proper respect because you are their customers? Also because of the confrontational nature of a lot of people who demand for Service front desk person in the country they naturally develop defensive attitude especially when the person manner of approach is also combative.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Nobody: 2:21pm On Sep 13, 2013
because of sense of job security. it is very difficult to lay off govt workers. there is no productivity assessment. nobody cares. the solution is outsorching of these corporations with govt as supervisory or regulatory body.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Novice1(m): 2:21pm On Sep 13, 2013
Dis Guy: perhaps they need the police treatment

Maybe people should start exposing their attitude online!! Video!!

I have a gut feeling that this video exposure thing has the capacity to bring some change to Nigeria.

But be careful filming a drunk man with a gun ooooo.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by hariorh: 2:29pm On Sep 13, 2013
Do the words "job security" mean anything to the OP?
grin
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by eagleeye2: 2:32pm On Sep 13, 2013
Come to my office I won't treat you bad, but if I am sleeping you must wait till I wake up. If not, you have to come back another day for me to attend to you.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Horus(m): 2:33pm On Sep 13, 2013
Dis Guy:

Maybe people should start exposing their attitude online!! Video!!

This is the best idea!, there is very small hidden cam to do the "job"
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Cestmoi1(f): 2:51pm On Sep 13, 2013
It's not only in government co-oporations,it's in every organisation/schools/companies.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by tlife(m): 3:00pm On Sep 13, 2013
If you've been a victim or dissatisfied with poor public service meted to you, you can lodge a complaint at the nearest CERVICOM office or public complaints commission.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by 1forall: 3:08pm On Sep 13, 2013
anonimi: Do you know any country in this world whose government agencies are "set up to make profit"
A short list will do.
Thanks.

Official statistics show that councils are continuing to forecast to make £635 million profit from parking charges and fines.

That's one to begin with, a simple Google search will help you populate your desired list.

See, not every country in the world runs a rentier economic system like us - some actually THINK of the national future in running their affairs. Surprise! smiley

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by 1k001(m): 3:29pm On Sep 13, 2013
I too have seen firsthand the rudeness of government workers. I was however pleasantly suprised on two occasions
The first was in the health ministry in the federal secretariat abuja. They helped facilitate some research i was working on even though i had just walked in off the street.
The other was in the nigerian embassy in kenya where I was helped greatly and swiftly.
Perhaps there is hope yet for our beloved Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by olisaokere(m): 3:35pm On Sep 13, 2013
Afam4eva: I have been to a lot of government parastatals, from NITEL to NEPA to NPF to WAEC to Immigration office and the story is the same. Their staff have a very bad customer service. These people have no regard for human beings. They just speak to people anyhow they like like they own the person's life. There was a day i went to passport office and the way they talked to me, made my self-esteem to drop. Those people are very wicked and bitter lot.

I've always wondered why they're like this. I can understand the NPF to some extent because they're not well paid but i don't think staff of other government parastatls are badly paid. So, what's the source of their bitterness?

Afam,if they talk badly to you,respond back in a very rude manner.By doing so,they will know you are not stupid.But if you keep quiet,they will rain abuses on you.it doesn't happen only with Government Workers,it also happens to other sectors.I was at a Union Bank Branch sometime ago and the way the lady(customer representative)talked to me in a manner that was totally unacceptable,i didnt waste time in responding rudely to her and that served her right.I can tell you each time i go to her office,she attends to my inquiries calmly
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by emmanok24(m): 3:38pm On Sep 13, 2013
Most of these workers feel they've arrived not wanting to know the manner of people they're interacting with. They talk to people anyhow, frustrate one's mission to their office. I also make sure I'm fully prepared for their antics once I have a business over there. I'd advice you do same! #PeaceBeUntoYouAll
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by OmniSparrow: 3:55pm On Sep 13, 2013
cowleg:

Oga MOD,please help me i cannot comment on education and business section since two weeks now. Am a good citizen of nairaland so i could not have done anything to warrant a ban. Thanks
Anoda drunk mod banned me from religion section for no reason.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Nobody: 5:40pm On Sep 13, 2013
@OP Are you madddddd? Why are you asking why we are rude? Something dey worry you for head!!!! We are NOT rude u hear me? Jdjcnfrurudjcnfjriru!!!!!!!

grin grin
Sorry, you were asking? grin
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by bebechuks: 6:49pm On Sep 13, 2013
Go to General Hosp that is where u will see rudeness.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by nupera: 8:43pm On Sep 13, 2013
You have to understand the mentality most civil servants have. Though not all. Most actually feel they've done enough by simply showing up. On the other hand they see first hand how the directors and permsecs are padding contracts and collecting various bribes from contractors and service providers and when you show up asking for service and they can't shake you down being rude becomes second nature. No crime bothering on corruption in the public space succeeds without the active participation of civil servants. They have perfected the art.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by vokalguy(m): 8:48pm On Sep 13, 2013
CFCfan: It's a symptom of the general lack of professionalism that is abound in the civil service. There is barely any supervision of the workers, or goals set for each civil servant to accomplish. Hence, the "I don't care" attitude displayed by them.

Just to add to what you said, I feel they are too comfortable in that position, an example is the Nigerian Embassy in the United States, they are like a loose cannon over there, they make their own rules and do whatever makes them happy. They feel they are inferior to others just because they have a 'government position' Honestly I do not know when this nonsense will stop....
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by vokalguy(m): 8:48pm On Sep 13, 2013
bebechuks: Go to General Hosp that is where u will see rudeness.

And that is a shame, hospital of all places...
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Babsunclejoe(m): 9:36pm On Sep 13, 2013
All the above mentioned places are a bit better, go to any government hospital and you will almost hate your life, they talk to you as if it is your fault to fall sick.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Eebrahym(m): 11:01pm On Sep 13, 2013
@ poster, I've been wondering why too ooº°oooooo°ºoo Though not all of them.

I was @ Ikeja Post office on Tuesday to send a letter through EMS, u need to see how I was treated by one good for nothing woman on the canter. I was still trying to make enquiries but she treated me like a nonentity, answering while facing another direction, concentrating on another stuff and gisting simultaneously with another colleague. I was mad @ her and I expressed the anger on ma face immediately, my brother, she doesn't even care.
I had to leave in vexation. On my way out of d office, a woman ( I guess she's a senior colleague) stopped me to ask why I'm leaving so fast, and the state of my face. I told her d rude remark I got from one of the attendant but she tried to cover her up in a way, trying to give her some possible excuses.

I just left d premises without uttering a word cos I'm afraid I could use some foul language. Honestly, I wish I took d pix of the lady, I would have posted it here.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Eebrahym(m): 11:05pm On Sep 13, 2013
vokal_guy:

Just to add to what you said, I feel they are too comfortable in that position, an example is the Nigerian Embassy in the United States, they are like a loose cannon over there, they make their own rules and do whatever makes them happy. They feel they are inferior to others just because they have a 'government position' Honestly I do not know when this nonsense will stop....

Superior u mean
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by vicchi12(f): 1:21am On Sep 14, 2013
the truth is that most Nigerians in Nigeria are naturally bitter people. Its hard to admit, but like earlier stated, Its the TRUTH. They are dark on the outside, and their heart is as dark as the hades. In addition to that, they enjoy frustrating other people; guess it somehow adds to their ego. It goes on in families, and in turn, like parasites, they take it outside and do the same darn thing!..Sad sad.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by sasifo(m): 7:06am On Sep 14, 2013
True talk. I have experienced such rudeness in one of the parastals especially @ their customers service desk, precisely CAC.They will address you as if they will not retire one day. Well don't blame them for many of them especially the female folks who are mainly miserable and frustrated single parent by their choice and are immorally attached to one male oga on the last floor of their various offices who gurantee their job even with their imported brutish and disrespective behaviour from their various homes. Moreover, the publc relation position of govt agencies to the public is very poor, all these are carry over from the military era of administration. Here I say kudos to some corporate organisations who treat their clients like a special specie. It is high time the govt reorientate their staff to be respectful to their visitors.
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Okaka27(m): 1:04pm On Sep 14, 2013
omo....na bankers rude pass
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by muther4bms(m): 2:43pm On Sep 14, 2013
jst because they virtually have nobody to CHECK them .....
4rm md 2 messanger, birds of thesame feathers
Re: Why Are Workers Of Government Corporations So Rude? by Eebrahym(m): 10:14am On Sep 15, 2013
Okaka27: omo....na bankers rude pass
I don't agree with ds

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lawyer Sues FG Over Refusal To Confirm Onnoghen As CJN / Stubborn Nnamdi Kanu Goes Back To Radio Biafra Today / Metuh Describes Inclusion In Looters List As Media Trial, To Seek Redress In Cou

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.