Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,661 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:41 PM

I Want A Reliable German - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / I Want A Reliable German (1577 Views)

I Need A Reliable Person To Clear A Vehicle In Cotonou And Bring It To Nigeria. / I Want A Lexus Rx330, But Theres A Lot Of Owners Giving Theirs Up For Sale.. / Is The Rover A Reliable Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want A Reliable German by Nobody: 7:40pm On Sep 06, 2013
I have been using 1997 Honda accord and I have had opportunity of driving 2006 Honda pilot though not my regular!  
Right now!  I want to go German! I have in mind 2006 ml350, 2006 c320....

I need advice if you have used these car before, also gurus in the house can suggest any good german car from 2006 that is free from electrical and mechanical problems. All I need to know so that I would have any regret

1 Like

Re: I Want A Reliable German by dgitrader(m): 7:32am On Sep 07, 2013
we have the same situation
in my opinion.... compared to asian cars, 99.9% of german cars are much safer(from theft also), rugged and reliable. newer models have better fuel economy and excellent performance, i love benz and audi especially.
BUT the problems are our automechanics, 99% of them are 10-15 years beyind in auto dynamics. especially on auto-electronics, thats where owning a modern german auto becomes a huge Challenge.
but for the few mechanics good with newer models.... their service charge is cut-throat. only if u r ok with models before 99, u then enjoy the best of our mechanics. thats why in the north 90% of transporters go for german Autos for these obvious reasons.
that aside, i love the audi A4's badly. they are luxurious, rugged and yet economical.

i hope the gurus will come to the rescue with their recomendations
Re: I Want A Reliable German by Trac: 7:57am On Sep 07, 2013
dgitrader: we have the same situation
in my opinion.... compared to asian cars, 99.9% of german cars are much safer(from theft also), rugged and reliable. newer models have better fuel economy and excellent performance, i love benz and audi especially.
BUT the problems are our automechanics, 99% of them are 10-15 years beyind in auto dynamics. especially on auto-electronics, thats where owning a modern german auto becomes a huge Challenge.
but for the few mechanics good with newer models.... their service charge is cut-throat. only if u r ok with models before 99, u then enjoy the best of our mechanics. thats why in the north 90% of transporters go for german Autos for these obvious reasons.
that aside, i love the audi A4's badly. they are luxurious, rugged and yet economical.

i hope the gurus will come to the rescue with their recomendations

What rescued you was the disclaimer "in my opinion." /*Edit*/

Furthermore, it'll be hard proving that in a nation, there isn't one person with sound-understanding of how German car work. There are many factors why such vehicles break-down and [ultimately] permanently break-down. A small percentage might be the mechanic. The root reason is the owner.

dgitrader: but for the few mechanics good with newer models.... their service charge is cut-throat.

Why shouldn't they? They have bills and family to feed. They have less repairs. These mechanics should be encouraged/patronised.

P.U.S.H:
I have been using 1997 Honda accord and I have had opportunity of driving 2006 Honda pilot though not my regular!  
Right now!  I want to go German! I have in mind 2006 ml350, 2006 c320....

I need advice if you have used these car before, also gurus in the house can suggest any good german car from 2006 that is free from electrical and mechanical problems. All I need to know so that I would have any regret 

You are being unrealistic.
Re: I Want A Reliable German by dgitrader(m): 9:03am On Sep 07, 2013
@trac,
if u read me well, i never said "no single nigerian mechanic" understands german autos, i said 99% are not updated on MODERN GERMAN AUTOs, especially ELECTRONIC ASPECTS!
if am ''very wrong", kindly educate me with your percentage, am a willing learner.

as for CUT-THROAT charges, i have nothing against the true professionals, its just a caution to the op, at least you dint fault me on that.
i used a relatively modern vectra and i speak from humble experience.

op, trac is very correct, no car is actually free of electrical/mechanical faults. it takes deep pocket or GUTS to upgrade from japanese to german.
Re: I Want A Reliable German by yungboss(m): 9:46am On Sep 07, 2013
P.U.S.H:
Right now! I want to go German! I have in mind 2006 ml350, 2006 c320....

an Automobile free of Mechanical and Electrical problems doesn't exist.
Re: I Want A Reliable German by Trac: 10:06am On Sep 07, 2013
dgitrader: @trac,
if u read me well, i never said "no single nigerian mechanic" understands german autos, i said 99% are not updated on MODERN GERMAN AUTOs, especially ELECTRONIC ASPECTS!
if am ''very wrong", kindly educate me with your percentage, am a willing learner.

as for CUT-THROAT charges, i have nothing against the true professionals, its just a caution to the op, at least you dint fault me on that.
i used a relatively modern vectra and i speak from humble experience.

op, trac is very correct, no car is actually free of electrical/mechanical faults. it takes deep pocket or GUTS to upgrade from japanese to german.

I sincerely apologise. I emphases were excessive. Please, overlook it. You aren't wrong as I disproportionately blew out of proportion, nevertheless 99% is near-total condemnation. That is 99 out of 100 mechanics; 198 out of 200 mechanics; 296 out of 300 Nigerians mechanics that are stale (according to you). Don't you think that's extreme in statistics for a complete novice?

By the way, I'll cross out the unnecessary phrase.
Re: I Want A Reliable German by dgitrader(m): 11:40am On Sep 07, 2013
@trac
99% is actually extreme, u r correct. but outside the big cities of abuja,lagos,ph, kd and co... thats the nearest figure, especially on auto-electronics of modern german cars. Good mechanics conversant with latest technologies are very rear. the opel Expert i patronize in jos gets regularly gets cars towed to him, from states as far as sokoto , jigawa and adamawa, all because of electrical complications. this shouldnt be the case! thats my point

op, get ur german machine oh, but take note... as a ''novice", you should be ready for the very few "auto authorities"... "They
have bills and family to feed.
They have less repairs. These
mechanics should be
encouraged/patronised".
Re: I Want A Reliable German by Nobody: 6:22pm On Sep 07, 2013
@OP just buy a w124 Mercedes Saloon 230E wallahi no electrical trouble at all infact na you go say make the car dey go!
Re: I Want A Reliable German by Nobody: 9:59am On Sep 08, 2013
I know that there is no automobile viod of mechanical and electrical problems. At least I have had a large share of it with the japanese! My main concern why I made this post was to seek opinions on which German car 2006 models, that has miminal problems that does cost much as buying a smaller Japanese car. I have made a review on the 2006 ml350 and it doesn't seem to have any complainants apart from a minor engine something something! I don't know! I have also reviewed 2007 c350, apart from the non-spacious back seats. There are no major issues. I will choose the ml over the c class because it is an suv. But I want to know if anyone knows about the engine issue. I am also opened to suggestions of any other german.

cool
yungboss:
an Automobile free of Mechanical and Electrical problems doesn't exist.
Re: I Want A Reliable German by wwwkaycom(m): 1:52pm On Sep 08, 2013
Want a reliable German? Can you try Michel Karlz in my street or better still Angela Markel, cheers!
Re: I Want A Reliable German by Trac: 6:41am On Sep 11, 2013
dgitrader: @trac
99% is actually extreme, u r correct. but outside the big cities of abuja,lagos,ph, kd and co... thats the nearest figure, especially on auto-electronics of modern german cars. Good mechanics conversant with latest technologies are very rear. the opel Expert i patronize in jos gets regularly gets cars towed to him, from states as far as sokoto , jigawa and adamawa, all because of electrical complications. this shouldnt be the case! thats my point

op, get ur german machine oh, but take note... as a ''novice", you should be ready for the very few "auto authorities"... "They
have bills and family to feed.
They have less repairs. These
mechanics should be
encouraged/patronised".

Quote:

"Good mechanics "conversant" with latest technologies are very rear"
----- There is truth to that. Above all, you can't blame the rest that fall short to the above quote.

Many cars today are nothing but "operations." I am not sure if word "operations" is appropriately used or relatively conveyed. Couple with that, I have Benz in my thoughts as I type. A lot of these cars are to be fixed by engineers. The role of an engineer is not the role of a mechanic. A mechanic to a degree can "think" and make system-wide changes on a limited "scale." He is to follow technical specifications strictly and dynamically use his expertise to resolve complex problems. An engineer is one that can think and interpret what the manufacturer had in mind during construction. He can also make system-wide-changes to suit designated purposes. I don't mean replacing parts and just putting anything without logical discernment governed by precepts; that is being a petrol-head. This is because he is sound in the appropriate science and the application thereof is used to solve technical problems. The level of discernment differs. From my personal experience, electrical engineers in this field tend to solve technical matters relative to electro-mechanical functions with fewer remedials. This is my personal experience.

Nigerians have very smart citizens. They [just] aren't ending up in automotive. Their potentials are used where it is maximised; that is the oil companies or construction firms etc. The few that do, Nigerians are not willing to pay the service worth but bargain. Excellent service at bargains! How?! How fair can that be? There is heavy use of control-systems in vehicles today and some are just too complicated. Control-Systems is not a mediocre discipline to comprehend. This creates a stumbling block for the mechanic that is only limited to mechanical interactions and dynamics of "rigid-bodies." Which most are! The ones in the West are not better off. What you don't hear are the repeat-services.

As previously implied, some cars work like "plants" (in refinery concept) in the control-systems aspect but they aren't maintained as so. The training needed for these specifications are expensive. Counselling a mechanic to apply for visa to Europe for the sake of a 16-hour (2 days accelerated) updated professional training is more of humour than practicality. The thousands in Euro hasn't been factored in yet.

There are many vehicles that shouldn't be in Nigeria (to begin with). Yet, Nigerians see it fit to own these vehicles. When the vehicle goes "south" and unusable, the standard response to such a folly is "Nigerian mechanics are bad."

Competent mechanics exist in Nigeria. They are expensive. Competent engineers for automotive exist as well. Nigerians [just] don't want to pay the due fees without inconsiderate bargains. So, it's cheaper to say Nigerian mechanics are bad than to part with the appropriate cash.
Re: I Want A Reliable German by Trac: 6:56am On Sep 11, 2013
P.U.S.H:
I know that there is no automobile viod of mechanical and electrical problems. At least I have had a large share of it with the japanese! My main concern why I made this post was to seek opinions on which German car 2006 models, that has miminal problems that does cost much as buying a smaller Japanese car. I have made a review on the 2006 ml350 and it doesn't seem to have any complainants apart from a minor engine something something! I don't know! I have also reviewed 2007 c350, apart from the non-spacious back seats. There are no major issues. I will choose the ml over the c class because it is an suv. But I want to know if anyone knows about the engine issue. I am also opened to suggestions of any other german.

cool

You can take what I will disclose momentarily or trash it. A Japanese car should take you about a decade without replacing a single part, save for wear items. The estimation will diminish if mileage becomes excessive. This is how they run in the west. Having electrical problems in a Japanese car sounds weird. This excludes Nissan and a few others that I don't know. The Japanese are good in electronics (especially control-systems) and their mechanical interaction of bodies is not ground-breaking. This is why they are expensive to purchase used or higher retail in sales value. Benzes are cheap [used]. I came across an S550 last year for $30,000. There were E Classes more expensive. Nevertheless, all fed-back disappointing resale prices. Many upgrade from their Japanese luxury cars to European and come to the harsh realisations that is expected of these Euro models.

The secret is in the way it is done. This is why the world is following the way Toyota does its manufacturing and ideologies. However, if you maintain a Japanese car the way you like, it will not endure as designed. Indians don't like to spend money on cars. Many (from observation) drive Camry's, Corollas and the other major Japanese brands.

(1) (Reply)

Does Vehicle Wires Expire? Case Of Endless Repairs Of A Ford Scorpio / Toyota Sienna 2000 Exhaust Wire Mesh Leak / Best Cars For Making It To 200,000 Miles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.